Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help with Half-Dragon seeking Dragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daseroth
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  22:03:49  Show Profile  Visit Daseroth's Homepage Send Daseroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
what is the best way to seek out a dragon, the reason im asking is that in my campaign, one of my players a avariel who has just learned he is a half dragon(an enchantment was keeping it hidden and he had it broken), he is half gold, so now he has decided to go look for the parent, father or mother, does anybody know of where, he could maybe seek one out, he only level seven but he just aquired a new suit of red dragon plate and now my AC is -15 (i play 2nd Ed) so he prepared to take the hard roads, but i dont know what info to give him as to where they are, he has actually, just gone to see onne of my other chars, a very high level wizard, but im not sure how much help to give him or where exactly the nearest gold would be and if that would even be the parent, i didt think i would get so confused

Edited by - Alaundo on 10 Apr 2004 10:18:22

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  22:53:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Velsaert of Baldur's Gate is one of the Realms's foremost authorities on dragons... You could ask him...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Daseroth
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  00:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Daseroth's Homepage Send Daseroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm thank you, but how do i slip that info into the campaign and i dont know how this guy acts i need to know his alignment and some othere things about him, and one more question, do half-dragons find mates the same way as dragons, by eye contact and its the same as dragons?, like they just know they are mates and they cant do anything about it, or are they like normal humans
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  02:00:22  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gold dragons are incredibly difficult to locate being that they can very literally be anywhere. Many spend years in humanoid form, living amongst humans, very hesitant to reveal their identity.

You may want to kind of trick him, by having your high level wizard know of one who spends his time disguised as a sage. Have your wizard tell him to find and ask the sage for help in his quest. The sage will not want to reveal his identity until he knows he can trust the character, so he sends the character on several quests designed not so much to test his power-level, but instead his moral fibre.

Once the character has proven through actions that he is worthy of the confidence of the dragon, he will reveal himself and you can proceed from there.

If you have access to it, check out the Draconomicon. It is very well-written with a lot of great info to be incorporated into nearly any fantasy campaign.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  03:52:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pick up The Rage. Without giving away any spoilers, a gold dragon or two might have an appearance within the novel and it could be a source of great inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Daseroth
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  04:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Daseroth's Homepage Send Daseroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you for these ideas, i dont have much access to these books you are talking about, but i will manage, plz keep the ideas coming, they are very good
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:36:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daseroth

hmmm thank you, but how do i slip that info into the campaign and i dont know how this guy acts i need to know his alignment and some othere things about him,

I don't think Velsaert has ever been detailed... But he is renowned as the most knowledgable person to talk to about dragons. So if you go to one sage and ask about dragons, they'll likely refer you to him.

If I am correct in believing that he's never been detailed, then you can make him pretty much to your taste. I would assume he's of good alignment, since he's got Harper contacts, but beyond that, go wild!

I think I shall ask Ed about Velsaert...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Apr 2004 06:42:36
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  05:54:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Velsaert of Baldur's Gate is the recognized authority on dragonkind, both up and down the Sword Coast.

Wooly's right though, the best person to ask about Velsaert is Mr Greenwood, since he wrote most of the material concerning the sage of Baldur's Gate.

It's nice that we now have an avenue for such questions...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  06:40:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The question is asked. Hopefully, Ed won't take terribly long in answering... Though it may take a while, as he is busily working on other stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Daseroth
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  19:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Daseroth's Homepage Send Daseroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm well thank you for all this help, i am a novice dm and i dont really know all of the ins and outs to it yet
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  03:50:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the info from Ed:

quote:
Wooly Rupert, Velsaert is an interesting personage. I don’t want to crash into forthcoming Realms projects of which I should say NOTHING more right now by providing too much detail about Velsaert, but let me say this much: most folk in the Realms know him only by his reputation and writings (in the last two decades, he seems to have become more reclusive than he once was), and rumors are arising that whisper Velsaert’s apparent shyness might have something to do with changes to his body (some say talons, some say scales, some say nictating membranes over his eyes, some even speak of a tail) that might suggest a closer connection with things draconic than had been hitherto suspected. However, it’s been said before (by the long-dead wit and playwright Aunselrus of Myratma) that “rumor hisses as menacingly as a harmless grass snake, but sinks its fangs in when least expected, not when heard from most loudly.”

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Apr 2004 03:55:41
Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  21:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...rumors are arising that whisper Velsaert’s apparent shyness might have something to do with changes to his body (some say talons, some say scales, some say nictating membranes over his eyes, some even speak of a tail) that might suggest a closer connection with things draconic than had been hitherto suspected.
Sounds like a Dragon Disciple to me - one of the most inspirational 'crunch' products in 3E D&D.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000