Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How best to learn all about the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  21:36:23  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've mentioned somewhere else that I'm currently getting back into the Realms, via the Drizzt books, but I find myself not knowing a lot about the geography of this world.

What books should I get to familiarize myself with the Realms? I'm assuming there are game manuals out there laying out the geography, the peoples, the monsters and cities etc. With maps and everything.

What do you recommend I get?

Edited by - BountyHunter on 08 Mar 2017 23:11:46

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  21:45:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The geography of the Realms has changed quite a bit with 3rd, 4th and 5th edition. The Sword Coast Aventurer's Guide is the most recent book, updated to the 1490s DR, and it includes a map of the Sword Coast. An updated map of the North and some nice lore about it is included in Storm King's Thunder (also updated to 1490s DR). That should be enough for the Drizzt books.

If you want a general overview, I suggest the 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and the 4e one (I think that only 4e Drizzt series is the Neverwinter saga, tho). It may sound weird, but the 3e book is closer to the current state of the Realms, because a lot of changes have been undone.

Volo's guides are all great if you want to learn more about specific places (Volo's guide to the North, if you want more background for the Drizzt books).

The Forgotten Realms Wiki is also useful, both to get a general idea, and because it usually includes the sources used to write the article, so it can direct you to the right books.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 08 Mar 2017 21:46:59
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  22:23:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely purchase the Forgotten Realms Atlas. It's one of the best 2e supplements around, and 2e was known for their fantastic products.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  22:24:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, for a 5e-era primer on The North (and bordering FR regions), you can't beat Storm King's Thunder. The map that came with it is excellent as well (someone still have a link to that 'free preview' of the SKT map? The one tied to that fundraiser?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Mar 2017 22:25:43
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  23:14:35  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy. Now I'm getting confused. So the world has changed? Lol. Was there a cataclysm or something? And how did things return?

Yeah, I need help. Lol

Edited by - BountyHunter on 08 Mar 2017 23:15:15
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  23:20:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BountyHunter

Oh boy. Now I'm getting confused. So the world has changed? Lol. Was there a cataclysm or something? And how did things return?

Yeah, I need help. Lol

There were multiple cataclysms, and the timeline had a jump of 100 years at some point, lol. As for how things returned? At some point there was this event in which the overdeity of the setting brought back all the gods and undid all the geographic changes. Meanwhile, other events happened that brought other stuff back to the 1e/2e era (like Myth Drannor being in ruins). It was some kind of reboot with an in-universe explanation, and with some of the 4e stuff being kept (like the dragonborn).

Edited by - Irennan on 08 Mar 2017 23:27:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  00:41:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh boy. Now I'm getting confused. So the world has changed? Lol. Was there a cataclysm or something?
Yes...

Hasbro purchased WotC.

There was also like two (maybe three, if you count the ToT as one), or just one, hundred-year long one, depending on how you look at it, in the Forgotten Realms as well.

But 5e is like 1e/2e, with 1/2 (1/20th?) the 'fat'.

3e was an extension of 1e/2e, but the maps got weird ('compressed'), and then 4e is ummm... well... just ignore 4e for now. Its kind of like the 80's. You're better off going with 5e because it should 'feel familiar', and then look over the 3e lore (but maybe not the maps, which is really weird coming form me), and then eventually... when you think you're 'strong enough'... you can look at the 'lore' of 4e FR (which got smooshed together with 'core', which it still is, sort of, but...nevermind. Just check-out 5e LOL).

In fact, you may just be better-off reading the 4e novels and just ignoring what little came out about the setting itself. From what I understand, the novels made more sense of things than any of the game books did (I actually started to type 'setting books', but I'm not sure if I can even call any that... maybe the Neverwinter one?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Mar 2017 00:48:22
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  15:57:55  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, sounds like I have a lot to catch up on. Hopefully I'm up to the task. I'll see if I can find some of those books you guys mentioned, If you think of anything else, please let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  17:31:49  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Oh boy. Now I'm getting confused. So the world has changed? Lol. Was there a cataclysm or something?
Yes...

Hasbro purchased WotC.

Truly The Dawn Cataclysm...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  17:34:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My suggestion is to start small and learn a given location/region. Then Learn another location/region. You will find yourself on many rabbit trails as an fyi. Take your time and enjoy, savor the lore, revel in it...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  18:01:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

quote:

Yes...

Hasbro purchased WotC.

Truly The Dawn Cataclysm...

No -- we can get an official and definitive answer on when the purchase happened and what happened during said purchase.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  20:00:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya know, I am so glad we can all laugh about this stuff these days.

I'm picking through Spine of the World right now, trying to get a more exact location for Auckney, and as I re-read it, I realize there is a reason why that book is considered RAS's best. Not by us, or even fantasy fiction readers - by the general (reading) public. That book 'put him on the map'.

And the best part? NO DRIZZT... except for a couple of those whiny, introspective things at the begging of a couple of chapters. It makes me wonder what else he could've written for the Realms, if he didn't have that drow albatross hanging from his neck.

Why mention that here? because there is SO MUCH GREAT MATERIAL in the Forgotten Realms - you can really start anywhere. The novels are probably what gave it universal appeal (beyond D&D), but the world is so vibrant, so 'alive'. So full of small stories abdout small people, just trying to 'live their lives'. Thats what most of SotW is about, and thats what makes it so great - so different - than most of RAS' other works. He manages to capture a 'snapshot' of life in a tiny little forgotten corner of the Realms, and makes you believe.

I sometimes forget (thanks to Drizzit) why RAS is considered THE FR author by the world at large, but with this one novel, he earned that s**t. The Forgotten Realms are an amazing place, and is so much richer for the authors we've been blessed with. So grab a book and start reading - find your own little corner to call home.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  21:20:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm picking through Spine of the World right now, trying to get a more exact location for Auckney, and as I re-read it, I realize there is a reason why that book is considered RAS's best. Not by us, or even fantasy fiction readers - by the general (reading) public. That book 'put him on the map'.

That I know, a lot of people consider that book one of his most boring works. I've even seen some claiming that the book is the point where the reader is tested, and that "only true fans" will get past it (or something along those lines).

Edited by - Irennan on 09 Mar 2017 21:22:02
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  21:50:01  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms is a great book for getting to know the day-to-day details of the setting, and is edition neutral. Well worth a look.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  03:17:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ya know, I am so glad we can all laugh about this stuff these days.

I'm still not laughing about 4e -- or the 3e map fiasco, for that matter.

Not trying, at all, to restart discussions about the ups/downs. Just a snarky comment from lurkland and a tip of the hat to you, Markus. I hope you're still working on your maps when you can... those are also a great place for newcomers and returning adventurers to learn about the Realms.

And welcome home BountyHunter! You've got some reading ahead of you, and you can feel free to ask if you get specific questions. Somebody around here is likely to be an expert on whatever you happen to wonder about.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  04:20:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm still plugging away at the Nentir Vale conversion. I finally got all the bits of forest 'just right', and now its back to hills. I did a lot of labeling today, in hopes I'd be able to post something, but I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped (I want the next update to be 'fully functional'). But I have fun doing them, so thats what matters to me.

But you have to let it go sooner or later xaeyruudh - I've gotten too old to put that much energy it not being mad at a game (or setting).

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

That I know, a lot of people consider that book one of his most boring works. I've even seen some claiming that the book is the point where the reader is tested, and that "only true fans" will get past it (or something along those lines).
I thought so too, the first time I read it. Its a 'Drizzt' novel with no Drizzt! In fact, except for a couple of offhand mentions and I think one (very brief) encounter, its humano-centric! Even though I just learned Auckney is about 1/2 gnome, you'd never know it (I think the carriage driver was a gnome, and some farmers, but they may as well have been human). Going back through it now, I can appreciate it for what it is. I am no longer 'irked' by all the 'boring' Auckney chapters. In fact, on the re-read, thats the best part of the book.

It was a story about people, and it was told very well. I think RAS made the leap from 'pulp' to 'literature' with that one. Except for bigger-than-life Wulfgar, all the characters were 100% believable, and relatable.

Of course, thats why 'fanbois' hated it - no swashbuckling elfsies, or pirate battles, or '1000 Orcs'. Just people, doing people stuff. It is a 'slice of life', and a VERY good one. RAS did the 'broken hero' before Marvel and DC beat that horse to death. I tip my hat to him.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2017 04:23:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000