Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Question on chases and criminal quests
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  21:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey people
I m running a game right now that my players r outlaws chased top be killed.
Well that's the question; what can that kind of chase cause an adventure.
I think they would seek proof to show their innocence
but
I ve got nearly no ideas how can possilble plots be.
By the way we are wandering in silvermarches

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  23:57:24  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We the main question we have is if they truely are outlaws. One of Our own little parties (many months back now) were also hunted as outlaws (as well as the usual bounties put on our heads) of course this actually true. We protected a port from pirate but some of us fired arrows into the melee combat from rooftops. They hit more villagers than pirates and put us on the run. Are they worthy of their outlaw fame or were they framed?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  00:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are framed to be assasins but the only thing they intended was to prevent that happen but that fella was dead already and the guards caught them red handed.
They were really innocent but they r charged by very powerful and influential forces of evil in the curret system of justice.
The eye witness and the actual assasin is a rspected knight who decided to follow a darker path and he is in an organization of evil knights. he is well disguised and he and his men in the order r only arouse some suspision of a few harpers but the knights' reputation protects them fromm all charges without a very very clear evidence .
That s the case my friends
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  05:58:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roewyn

Hey people
I ve got nearly no ideas how can possilble plots be.
By the way we are wandering in silvermarches

Without knowing more details, you can always fall into an old stand by....they are wrongly identified and charged with a crime. Thus, the law can think they are after the party for justifiable reasons and the party is left with finding the real culprits.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  06:06:35  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could lead them on a merry chase in an attempt to track down a piece of evidence that will clear them 100% (or atlease within reasonable doubt)... Only make sure that the group is likely to follow... Our DM had tried to offer us a chance to gain false evidence to clear our names.... the party opted to leave a trail of blood and bodies in a mad dash to escape... Heroes we were not. one must always be careful, cause if "justice isn't blind... then she's cross-eyed" -Yakko Warner

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Fat Dutchman
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  08:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Fat Dutchman's Homepage Send Fat Dutchman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It also depends are where you want to take the campaign. You can send them down the road as hunted outlaws or let them prove themselves as innocent. Or even more fiendish is to allow them the chance to prove their innocence, but only to a select powerful few. To all others they would still be wanted. You could then introduce them to the Realms seedy side. After this a whole range of paths develop. Maybe as spies for the forces of good, maybe a band of thieves that emmulate Robin Hood, or even a band of rough and ready adventurers who get the job done without the need to protect their reputations. Its all in how you present the plot to them and how you react to the party's decisions.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  10:33:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...what greater adventure can there be...

The search for truth lies at the very heart of many campaign adventures - whether it's the hunt for lost secrets in an ancient wizard's tome that can explain a one-thousand year old mystery, or by simply locating the proof to clear one's name from the records of the local constabulary - I would think that such plots for an adventure would be easy to construct.

To be of more assistance, perhaps we should know a little more about the party of 'outlaws' that are involved in this adventure...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  13:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One high elven ranger whose father is a mage of some power and he cherishes only intelegence and the superioraty of magic. His other son is a talented apprentice in silverymoon university and since our ranger has limited ability for magic and intelligence, his father doesn't think highly of him. He wanted to prove that he has some value of his own and want to be a harper.(Neu good)
The other fella was a squire in the knights in silver (I don't have very detailed info about them thus I reconstructed the ranks and policies). But our young knight has heard sth that his mentor and instructor who was a very popular and respected member of the order would assasinate a diplomat. And he reported that incident to his superiors. The investigation didn't take too long before he was kicked out of the order charged of neglecting the hierarchy and accusing a superior without concrete evidence.(Lawful good)
He wants to show that his is innocent.
There is an other pc who ll join our game next week but her background isn't formed yet.
I thought maybe they can hear a rumour about an ex zhentharim who now lives in silvermarches. They might try to find him asking to who that ll be the question. They don't have any money so some quests for money would do.
Are there any dominating underground organization in silvermarches?
And what are the simple jobs that they can offer?
Go to Top of Page

Fat Dutchman
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  23:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Fat Dutchman's Homepage Send Fat Dutchman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the person that they were accused of killing the diplomat that the knight accused his mentor of ploting to kill?If so you could allow evidence in to prove there innocence. Unlike CSI, Realms investigators have a plethora of magic available to them. Speak with dead or detect lie are just a couple of spells I can think of. This doesn't even include the multitude of powers associated with a Justicar of Tyr. If you allow the use of any of these it should provide an alibi for your heros. If it was the knights mentor who murdered the victim they might not be able to prove it and the evil knight could become a reoccuring villan in your campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  05:00:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a better question, I think:

Do you want this to be long-term, or short-term? Is it supposed to haunt them for life, or do you want it to be resolved relatively soon (in terms of campaign time)?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  09:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most reasonable questions
First, it can take 10 sessions of 5 hours but I m not sure yet, that may depend on my players actions and ways to find the proof. For instence they can find the proof by just a reward for an assasination they will proceed after 3rd session but they may reject that to find another source.
Second, of course there are magical ways to show someones lie or guilt but you just cannot accuse and magically interegate a very famous and respected knight just for a simple squire told so.
There must be a fact that cannot be questioned to do so.
And thier quest is to find that and save the order from these evil intentious knights.
Furthermore, many of the knights following that evil mentor lets call him Victor, are not evil. They are just convinced that there is a better world and more strict order, no crime, no deciet, and absolute rules and they have to do sth to get what the world needs. They are orginized and lead by a very charizmatic ex knight. Their thoughts dont make them evil but some slowly and painfully became evil.One is that Victor after killing the diplomat and framing our knight.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  12:43:17  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... he is well disguised and he and his men in the order r only arouse some suspision of a few harpers but the knights' reputation protects them fromm all charges without a very very clear evidence .

I'd suggest that part of the answer lies with the suspicion of the Harpers.

I always "think in the big" and think this would be a very good way to bring the Harpers into your game, perhaps with the possibility that one of your party may work for or eventually even join them. If "a few Harpers" are suspicious then The Harpers generally will be suspicious. You may be able to work the story line such that The Harpers need the party as much as the party need the Harpers. Maybe they already have a fair amount of evidence against this knight and are just waiting for one more piece and this just so happens to be where the party fits in.

I'd suggest that you put your party in a position where they will be confronted by the Harpers and see where it goes from there.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  16:36:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were writing the story, then (barring some other idea I might have based on other information not given here), then I'd send the characters in to that city in disguise, trying to find the evidence. After a while, a Harper finds them and protects them from discovery (likely being irritated at the way they're bumbling -- they don't sound like the types to be good at sneaking around).

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  17:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all
I think I formed the plot generally thanks for your help.
However I can use some help for the npc s and general military stats and policies

such as at what lv a harper generally be, how are they choosen, are there any hideouts or headquarters, are they trusted by northern folks
and what lv is an ordinary street patrol, how intellegent and cautious they are and what extra precautions can be used to find those criminal and detect them at first sight.
What kind of protections are used on the roads and at the gates of cities. What do the guards ask for routine and when they suspect something?
How is the justice system in silverymoon and how the courts are?
Do they execute or prefer life sentenece?
Do they put a bounty on criminals head or its heros'job to take the criminals to justice?

So many I know but maybe you can point a source. I looked at silverymoon and frcs but I couldn't find adequate aswers
And there are many great dm s here I would like to hear what they prefer in their games

Edited by - Roewyn on 05 Apr 2004 17:56:55
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  17:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, what exactly is "sth"? It's been annoying me. (But then, almost all chatspeak annoys me.)

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  12:24:40  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you all
I think I formed the plot generally thanks for your help.
However I can use some help for the npc s and general military stats and policies

such as at what lv a harper generally be, how are they choosen, are there any hideouts or headquarters, are they trusted by northern folks

You need to get hold of a copy of "Code of the Harpers" for the info you need

and what lv is an ordinary street patrol, how intellegent and cautious they are and what extra precautions can be used to find those criminal and detect them at first sight.

The answer almost certainly depends on where the patrol is based. In a small rural village, it might be something like a Sergeant (Lvl 3) with a couple of "gash hands" (Level 1). On the other hand a large city (like Waterdeep) would have a fully formed and controlled militia using the full spectrum of levels and classes. without more information, it's very difficult to answer the question.

What kind of protections are used on the roads and at the gates of cities. What do the guards ask for routine and when they suspect something?

Again, difficult to answer without more information. A village might have no protection, just depending on a small patrol. On the other hand, a village in a "nasty area" might be walled with gates (probably a bit like a Wild West fort). With a large city you would expect much more.

How is the justice system in silverymoon and how the courts are?
Do they execute or prefer life sentenece?
Do they put a bounty on criminals head or its heros'job to take the criminals to justice?

I can't answer this one as I don't have the source books you do refer to.

So many I know but maybe you can point a source. I looked at silverymoon and frcs but I couldn't find adequate aswers
And there are many great dm s here I would like to hear what they prefer in their games

When all else fails, make it up. It's not possible for the source books to detail every eventuality. You have to fill in the gaps sometimes. That's what a DM does! So long as what you decide is logical and believable anything you decide is correct. Whatever you decide, write it down for future reference. The worst thing possible is when a party returns to a previously visited location and everything has changed. I've got note books going back almost 20 years detailing locations I've had to "flesh out" - Inn keeper's names, menus, contact names etc.

Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  18:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kahonen
I might use the profiles of cormyr patrols, I assume it might fit to a large city.
I will shut down important roads and make fully equiped guards question everyone.
But being a criminal would not bother my pc s in rural areas very much, I suppose. Can the news about their deeds reach to small villages' militia or guards?

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  21:44:17  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But being a criminal would not bother my pc s in rural areas very much, I suppose.

Again, you can use this to your advantage. Imagine the party spend the next few months avoiding civilisation hoping it will all blow over. Let them think they've gotten away with it. When they get too confident, that's when someone recognises them and takes them by surprise!

Can the news about their deeds reach to small villages' militia or guards?

Absolutely. Farmers from a village will almost certainly travel between villages if they can get a better price for their crops. While they are there they might have a few beers and start chatting to the locals. That's how rumours are passed. Don't forget the effect that rumours have when stories are told. Imagine the situation: someone gets beaten up in a bar, the rumour gets to the next village that he was crippled for life, then next he died of his injuries and so on until the rumour is that that mass-murder was committed. Your party may be very surprised that when they are recognised in a neighbouring village, the crimes they are accused of will be far more serious that the original ones.

Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  23:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that could be intresting, I will use that kind of staff in the campaign
Thanks for your concern Kahonen very much
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  01:57:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

quote:

But being a criminal would not bother my pc s in rural areas very much, I suppose.

Again, you can use this to your advantage. Imagine the party spend the next few months avoiding civilisation hoping it will all blow over. Let them think they've gotten away with it. When they get too confident, that's when someone recognises them and takes them by surprise!

Especially a bounty hunter...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000