Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 War
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  23:18:47  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After reading through the 2ed accessori to the horde campaign setting called the Horde Campaign describeing the troops of he forces and flow of battle ect. I got a little intrugied and am now wondering if there is more gory battle material to dig into or is this it. I was kind of looking forward to read about the Tethyr civil war and such like events.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  02:32:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

After reading through the 2ed accessori to the horde campaign setting called the Horde Campaign describeing the troops of he forces and flow of battle ect. I got a little intrugied and am now wondering if there is more gory battle material to dig into or is this it. I was kind of looking forward to read about the Tethyr civil war and such like events.

I believe Lands of Intrigue covers some details about the Tethyr civil war events. I'm not sure how detailed or how gory the material is, but perhaps someone else can be a bit more specific.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  02:56:08  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

I believe Lands of Intrigue covers some details about the Tethyr civil war events. I'm not sure how detailed or how gory the material is, but perhaps someone else can be a bit more specific.

So I am aware, alltough what I am after is a bit more of the strategical kind. As troops sizes etc etc. and not the narator stuff found in the Lands of Intrigue set

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  02:58:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So I am aware, alltough what I am after is a bit more of the strategical kind. As troops sizes etc etc. and not the narator stuff found in the Lands of Intrigue set

Don't think such a thing exists.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  03:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Don't think such a thing exists.

At least in published lore, Sirius.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:47:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hymn I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think there was a Battlesystem supplement that detailed the troop strengths of several kingdoms and city-states in the Realms. I know that several 2e sourcebooks (like Dwarves Deep) contained that kind of information inside the book, but as I recall several places were detailed in a separate tome.

I'll look into it for you, unless anyone else has any information on this to either support or deny what I have just said...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:43:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I14 Swords of the Iron Legion? (I don't have it.) FR15 Gold & Glory?

Edited by - Faraer on 21 Mar 2004 18:44:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  06:20:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they could be the ones, although it's been such a long time. Plus, I had never really gotten "into" the Battlesystem game...

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  01:13:17  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, haven't read Swords of the Iron Legion, sadly I don't even own it AS for the Gold & Glory accessori it dosn't really contain the info I am after since I want the flow of the battle feel and that module mainly just depicts the different merc and priavte armies and groups in Faerun not really battles that they fought in, for the exceptoion of some. Picky aint I

Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  19:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, your not picky at all, I to think this would be really interesting material to have.
Unfortunately I don’t have a clue where if anything like this exist, most of the novels don’t cover the socio/military/political in great detail, and there are no resent accessories that cover this type of information, at least that I am aware of.

“War in Tethyr” by Victor Milan, actual covers the period before the civil war and has no information on the military situation.

“Silver Shadows” by Elaine Cunningham, has partisan combat in the Forest of Tether, also pre civil war, it’s a good story and gives an excellent sense of Tethyr.

"You had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
-Winston Churchill- (to Neville Chamberlain)

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare, "As You Like It", Act 5 scene 1

He who will not reason is a bigot. He who cannot is a fool. and he who dares not is a slave.
-Sir William Drummond-
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  08:37:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm, haven't read Swords of the Iron Legion, sadly I don't even own it AS for the Gold & Glory accessori it dosn't really contain the info I am after since I want the flow of the battle feel and that module mainly just depicts the different merc and priavte armies and groups in Faerun not really battles that they fought in, for the exceptoion of some. Picky aint I

Hymn, there are other many sourcebooks that deal with the traditional "flow of the battle" feel that do not belong to the categories of d20 or D&D. I'm a little hesitant to name them, since to do so would most likely incur the wrath of Alaundo. However, should he feel this subject would benefit from further discussion on these tomes, I'll post the suggestions I know of here...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  09:10:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hymn, there are other many sourcebooks that deal with the traditional "flow of the battle" feel that do not belong to the categories of d20 or D&D. I'm a little hesitant to name them, since to do so would most likely incur the wrath of Alaundo. However, should he feel this subject would benefit from further discussion on these tomes, I'll post the suggestions I know of here...

Well met

Indeed, feel free to mention such tomes, Sage. It all aids towards Realmslore in the end

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  09:19:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that Alaundo . I'll look into gathering up some of the tomes I'm thinking about then, and naming them here...with some 'brief' (if I can do 'brief') comments...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  16:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage being brief? Why, 'tis almost as absurd as the Bookwyrm doing the same. Why, I remember the time when . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  08:47:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before I begin my proper listing, I would like to know Hymn, how familiar you are with such source tomes that deal particularly with 13th-18th century tactics and combat strategies?

Also, have you ever been exposed to any of the numerous Classic BattleTech sourcebooks? These tomes provide extensive details (from many different eras of Earth's history) on army formations, battle tactics, and military structures.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2004 :  02:10:25  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as for the 13th -18th combats both my father and his father have a huge interest in that kind of stuff. I have not a huge but at least an interest, and I did keep my ears open at the history lessons. And no i haven't played Classic BattleTech, as of yet at least, probably will someday tough

Yepp the book Cunningham was great, kudos for that one. Still have to read Milan's book though have to had to trap down the FR reading a bit, I know I am as stunned as you that's why I cant read them, hrrrm. Any how it should soon pick up once Mars is over.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2004 :  06:14:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still composing a list of references that you can use Hymn. But I can't even post a small sampling of anything that I have because I'm at an internet cafe, so my time is limited. I'll try and gain better access soon...

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  00:05:45  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I have got my hands of a copy of The Iron Legion, so far I have to dive into it, but skimming through it I can say that it at least looks to be more in the line of what I have been looking for, have to really read through it to give it justice.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  00:44:05  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer Hymn's original question, don't some FR novels have info like that? Like the Cormyr novels or the Empire Trilogy?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  02:31:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

To answer Hymn's original question, don't some FR novels have info like that? Like the Cormyr novels or the Empire Trilogy?

If looking for another instance of a civil war, the first Cormyr novel has a chapter set during such a conflict.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  02:05:44  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have still to read the Empire Trilogy. As for the Cormyr story it sure containst the look on I want but not the detail I am after. Sure it doest mention some instances and skirmishes but not like troop numbers and battle plans. Some case I seem to recall have faint stuff like the king ordered 200 purple knights from Susail etc. (Alltough that instance might never have happned its just that I remember reading about troop numbers somewhere in that trilogy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000