Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Flaming Fist in Sundabar - Travelling Armies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  08:01:44  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm rereading Waterdeep and the North at the moment, and came across this:
quote:
(Sundabar's) coffers were rich enough to hire the Flaming Fist mercenary company once, to swing through Dead Orc Pass and fall upon an orc horde from behind.

Now I'm aware there are obviously many gates (and even series gates) and such in the world, but I'm interested to hear if anyone knows specifically how the Fist got all the way to Sundabar. The first use of the teleportation circle to transport armies that I'm aware of is in 1374 per the Grand History (but I could have easily missed this being a common way to transport armies even earlier).

The main drive of this question is - how do armies travel long distances in the Realms? Is there generally always some sort of gate about (eg. for the Evermeet Crusade to get to Evereska), or would it be more routine for the Fist to travel for months to get to Sundabar?

I'm sure there are gates around to shorten the route at the least... but I'm curious to know if the transport of armies has ever been described in any depth.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 28 Dec 2016 08:02:17

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6359 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  10:55:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The flaming fist is a mobile mercenary company. Read the OGB and it talks about their wagon train. I think Duke Eltam created them (possibly before he became Duke) and made them into the most elite of mercenary companies.

My thought is that any time in the past 40 years they could have been hired. The wizard friend of duke eltan has magic set up that whisks them away to a bolt hole in the savage north if they are in mortal danger. So they must have been there quite frequently.

Given the dangerous nature of the savage north and the number of incredibly rich city states (waterdeep, silverymoon, citadel adbar, luskan) i wouldnt be surprised if the north was a major area of operations for mercenary companies

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  12:55:33  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try looking for the old 2nd Edition Suplement "Of Gold and Glory".

If I remember well there was some info about the Flaming Fist and other merc companies in the North.

BTW, KanzenAU, you map of the North is awesome. If you need help with the Encyclopaedia you can count on me. I would be interested in provinding an spanish translation!!!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  13:39:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only two mentions of large army movements that were described in any detail (that I recall) were the Crusade - wherein we see them burn/sink a ship full of living people because they had 'the plague' (how very mundane!) - and the non-elvish portion of the army gathered to help Evereska against the Phaerimm (wherein many die enroute, and Laeral Silverhand - who is leading them - makes an uncharacteristic flippant comment that "I guess I'm gonna need another army"!).

So, I guess I can only say that I've never seen large army movements represented well in the Realms, unless such things are conducted with the same amount of 'normalcy' as they were RW, and that just doesn't 'feel right' to me.

And IIRC, Ed has stated that there are 'things in-place' that prevent large armies from using gates/magic to get about easily in The Realms (although I could have sworn reading something about someone moving an entire orc horde once!)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2016 13:40:39
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  13:49:22  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they'd taken horses from the Gates of Baldur to the trade roads unaided by magic all the way to Sundabar their journey would take about 25 days, traversing 1000 miles of the North along the Trade Way, the Long Road and the Evermoor Way.

I suggest that the Lords Alliance probably has enough mercenary cavalry flying the banners of the Flaming Fists stationed in the garrisons of cities in the alliance near Sundabar that they can form a local strike force by mustering them from local city states in a tenday or so.

Perhaps Longsaddle's Flaming Fists cavalry rode the Long Road to meet some Fist mercs from Triboar, mustering more Flaming Fists along the Evermoor Way from Yartar and Everlund onto Silvery Moon, where the force skirted the roads and followed the outskirts of the Moon Wood previously scouted by Faming Fist cavalry of Sundabar and Silverymoon itself.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  14:42:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually enamored of that concept, Bladewind.

That they keep some troops in all the major cities (and larger towns), and then they can 'throw together' forces wherever they need, rather quickly, with the promise that more mercs would be arriving from BG to replace the ones that left (in the cases where they were already currently employed in some manner - they could stipulate an 'emergency muster' condition in their contracts with their employers, giving them some 'free time' to offset the inconvenience).

EDIT:
Thinking further on this, I can see them having a quasi-contractual arrangement with some rulers; the city/town provides them with free room & board, and they act as extra 'guardsmen' in case of trouble. But if they have to leave for any reason, they'd be under no obligation to stay (and as I said, BG would be sending fresh troops to replace them anyway). It would be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

EDIT2:
Thinking even further on this, I can also see the Zhents eyeing this arrangement, and trying to emulate it... and woe to the settlements that take them up on the offer.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2016 15:11:01
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  15:05:21  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Mankyle!

I too, like the concept of having troops in lots of different places. Though I wish there was lore supporting it... I've only read about Flaming Fist permanent to semi-permanent presence in regards to Baldur's Gate, Chult, Maztica, and Tethyr.

I double checked the distance between Sundabar and Baldur's Gate using my own map (based on the current one), which I triple checked against the Interactive Atlas, and both came up to around 1,300 miles (not nitpicking, just for interest). I would think that an army with a supply train, even with horses, probably couldn't travel more than 30 miles a day, max. At that speed they would be about 43 days, but I would wager they're going slower so their wagon supplies are with them. If they're charging their base rate of 10,000 gp per day... that's a lot of coin. But, absolutely still possible. And wars can go on for a long time, so even a couple of months wait for the reinforcements might be worth it in some situations.

I was more wondering if anyone thought armies would move en masse via gates and such as a matter of course. It would have certainly saved Sundabar a small, nay, large fortune.
quote:
And IIRC, Ed has stated that there are 'things in-place' that prevent large armies from using gates/magic to get about easily in The Realms (although I could have sworn reading something about someone moving an entire orc horde once!)

I'd love to read that quote from Ed, Markustay... any idea what was being discussed at the time to help my search function?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  15:24:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope - its just the topic of 'large scale wars' came up (most likely in HIS thread), and why FR has so few of them, and then he - through THO - chimed in with 'his take'.

I don't recall much more then that.

I think the bottom line was that wars RW are always fought for economic reasons (even civil wars): someone either has something someone else wants (resources, etc), or is being denied something the other entity has (ya know, like RIGHTS).

Magic has so vastly altered the way economies work in the Realms that the 'mundane' types of wealth/power just aren't as important. Thus, 'wars' are fought more subtly. Not sure if this part is from Ed, from my own head, or some combination there-of.

And YEAH, the whole problem with the non-elven army in the RotA series was that it moved too damned slowly to have been of much good. The Chosen (and other helpful archmages, like Harpels) were doing far more damage to the enemy then all the armies combined. Realms wars are fought more along the lines of modern warfare, rather than medieval - numbers simply do not matter; special, 'elite' forces doing precision, pin-point strikes are far more effective. Armies are just for occupying already taken territory. This is why the orcs - despite their overwhelming numbers and endless breeding and speedy maturation cycles - never get very far (and why The Horde suffered much the same fate - FR warfare just doesn't work like RW medieval war did).

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  15:26:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't the Elves move an army via portals in the Last Mythal Trilogy...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  15:30:57  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, and I can see why a well run mercenary company can become very wealthy, given the ample opportunities to ride out in the political and mystical turmoil of Northern Faerun.

Local rulers (or their scouts & adventurers) are indeed crucial in the transfer of information to adequately spread out the mercs in a manner that they still can make a difference in time when called upon. These response times can be greatly increased with magics such as sending or animal messengers, but also with a stock of swift (aerial) steeds for rapid spread of the Call to Arms.

I believe the Zhents have always had the advantage in the aerial steed department, especially in the Moonsea area. Even when operating outside of that area they can direct seemingly disorganised hordes or undercover teams with intelligence gathered by their flying cavalry commanders. Employing larger monstrous flying mounts such as manticores, wyverns and even fiends can be a significant advantage off the battlefields as these creatures tend to have a great deployment range and are even able to transport quite heavy burdens. Wyverns trained to carefully drop wagons full of armed troops is a complex of military logistics; but it enables terrible shock troop tactics with ultraheavy infantry.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  15:46:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the most likely explanation was that the Flaming Fist was already in the area, and were hired based in large part because of that availability.

It would take too long for them to travel overland, and for the cost of magically moving them, a larger army could be raised from what was locally available.

That's why I think they were already close enough to be hired.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Dec 2016 15:46:46
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  16:19:44  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the reference, or at least one like it - in "Secrets of the Magister", p127, which I got to after relooking at the Mintiper's article on the Trail of Mists. So it seems, at least pre-Spellplague, gate use to transport armies was not a thing. It says that moving over a dozen folks meets woth catastrophe.

Though, there is still that Grand History entry for 1374...
quote:
Uktar 29: Saerloon’s army, using teleportation circles, materializes outside Selgaunt.

I wonder if this has anything to do with a new flexibility on Mystra's part... hmmm

On another note, Gold and Glory doesn't have the Flaming Fist as being active in the North on it's main map. But, it might not show small scale stuff, or alternatively they might have pulled out in the early 1360s...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  20:00:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing to consider that parts of this thread got me thinking about...

We may be looking at this the wrong way. Sure, 'medieval' armies took forever to get anywhere (and so did their counterparts), so good scouting is/was a must. Advanced-warnings will let you know where your slow-moving troops need to be by a certain date. Today, we have things like satellites and drones, but FR/D&D/fantasy does that one better - scrying!

So there's two reason that this could be effective (and even both at the same time) - you not only see your enemies building-up, and what direction they've started moving in (because they will also send-out scouts in that direction), but you can even see precisely where they will be on a certain date, even more precisely then modern military intelligence. Scrying can literally let you know the future! (and something like this was used by Thay to deter the Tuigan Horde from invading them - they showed them the outcome of such a venture.)

So someone in Sundabar may have 'foreseen' the future troubles, and hired the Flaming Fist to be in the right spot at the right time, on such-and-such a date.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2016 20:01:19
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  02:20:08  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point. I also noticed this in the OGB:
quote:
(The Flaming Fist) will pay its own transportation costs and agree not to begin charging their rates until directly entering the employer's service.

That solves the problem of paying a ridiculous amount for them to simply get to Sundabar. And if the war seemed like it would go on for many months, OR they have knowledge of the massing orc horde in advance, hiring the Fist actually seems reasonable.

So it seems that armies always travel by land (or ship) rather than magically, at least pre-1374. Does anyone know what the deal is with that Grand History quote though? It seems like it might come from the novels, as the next bit talks about Selgaunt repelling the Saerloonians with the help of Rivalen and Brennus Tanthul, as well as Sakkors. I haven't read any Sembia novels, so if anyone could explain how this occurred that would be very helpful.

Edit: There is also the elves in the Last Mythal as mentioned above, who send whole companies through their elfgate in a short amount of time. I have a suspicion the elfgates are a special exception though, as they were presumably created for mass travel (eg. in the Retreat).

Edited by - KanzenAU on 29 Dec 2016 02:28:27
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  04:15:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Thanks for the kind words Mankyle!

I too, like the concept of having troops in lots of different places. Though I wish there was lore supporting it... I've only read about Flaming Fist permanent to semi-permanent presence in regards to Baldur's Gate, Chult, Maztica, and Tethyr.

I double checked the distance between Sundabar and Baldur's Gate using my own map (based on the current one), which I triple checked against the Interactive Atlas, and both came up to around 1,300 miles (not nitpicking, just for interest). I would think that an army with a supply train, even with horses, probably couldn't travel more than 30 miles a day, max. At that speed they would be about 43 days, but I would wager they're going slower so their wagon supplies are with them. If they're charging their base rate of 10,000 gp per day... that's a lot of coin. But, absolutely still possible. And wars can go on for a long time, so even a couple of months wait for the reinforcements might be worth it in some situations.

I was more wondering if anyone thought armies would move en masse via gates and such as a matter of course. It would have certainly saved Sundabar a small, nay, large fortune.
quote:

I'd love to read that quote from Ed, Markustay... any idea what was being discussed at the time to help my search function?

I'm curious of the cost difference, so below I'm going to try to figure out the cost of each method (i.e. if you had to pay to feed those mercenaries for say a month versus the cost of multiple castings of teleportation circle (using 3.5 rules)). Let's play with the idea that teleportation circle can basically cast "greater teleport" once per round for ten minutes. Each round being 6 seconds, that would mean that teleportation circle would get 100 castings. For caster level let's say 18, so it could affect 7 medium creatures... or 5 medium creatures and 1 horse... or 3 medium creatures and 2 horses. So, let's say we alternate such that in 2 rounds, we get 8 medium and 3 horses (some being workhorses). That would put a casting of teleportation circle able to transport 400 medium and 150 horses. That casting just cost 1000 gp in components AND cost money to pay the wizard who cast it (player's handbook says 90 x caster level or 1620 gp). Total cost 2620.

Now, lets figure the cost to pay the food for 400 soldiers and 150 horses for say 25 days. Common meals per day is 2 sp, and feed for a mount per day is 5 cp. That puts us at 80 gp for 400 medium creatures per day, plus 5 cp in feed for 150 large creatures, so 7.5 gold.... lets call it 25 and have the animals checked by blacksmiths, armorers doing repairs, etc... . So, we're at 105 gp per day. Then there's the cost of the mercenary's pay per day (2 sp for foot, 4 sp for cavalry, 6 sp for leader of 2nd level, 12 sp for leader of 4th level, and 18 sp for leader of 6th level). Let's assume 275 foot, 100 cavalry, and 10 2nd level leaders, 10 4th level leaders (some 3rd, some 5th), and 5 6th level leaders... that's 550 + 400 + 60 + 120 + 90 = 1220 sp per day or 122 gold per day. Taking those two totals, 122 + 105 = 227 gold per day for this. Now, let's assume marching them 25 days... 5675 gp, and you have them where you need them.

So, let's look at that teleportation circle cost of 2620 gold, and let's make an assumption that even after the teleport, you have to march around or feed the soldiers for say 5 days to get where they're needed or for them to shore up defenses, etc... so 5 x 227 = 1135 gold. 2620 + 1135 = 3755. So, if you're moving huge numbers of troops (400+) the teleportation circle pays off. Mercenary companies of 200 members or less however probably would find it cheaper to transport normally.

In the above, I also figured for a general mercenary company. Since most of the flaming fist is higher in level, nearly every trooper would be paid as a leader. That could really start upping these prices as well (taking that 227 gold in wages to around say 600 gold). Tripling that amount for hazard pay, brings it to 1800 gold. One can see why the Flaming Fist charges 10k a day, to account for having to feed those mercenaries during their down time (assuming they only spend say 20% of their time on campaign).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  06:05:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still say that even if divination were a factor, you're going to look at what's locally available before looking for distant mercenary armies.

Just because the Flaming Fist isn't based near Sundabar, that's no reason to assume that they weren't already close enough to be hired because of some entirely unrelated commitment.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  14:08:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I still say that even if divination were a factor, you're going to look at what's locally available before looking for distant mercenary armies.

Just because the Flaming Fist isn't based near Sundabar, that's no reason to assume that they weren't already close enough to be hired because of some entirely unrelated commitment.

And that may be a factor for why several small mercenary companies of less than 200 individuals are often a more viable option. Less travel time is a lot of money saved. They may also work more effectively as a separate unit on the field, though it would also generally mean less coordination with other groups.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  16:03:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what was their 'prior commitment', Wooly?

Because if they were operating 'near Sundabar', that puts us right back to square one, doesn't it? You've simply diverted the conundrum from a known event to an unknown one.

And now you guys have me thinking: Would an extremely large and well-known mercenary company like the Flaming Fists have 'allied' mercenary companies among the smaller bands? In other words, if they needed to 'swell their ranks' for a contract, or just needed to get a few more troops into a distant area, would they be willing to sub-contract other groups under their banner?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  16:51:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So what was their 'prior commitment', Wooly?

Because if they were operating 'near Sundabar', that puts us right back to square one, doesn't it? You've simply diverted the conundrum from a known event to an unknown one.

And now you guys have me thinking: Would an extremely large and well-known mercenary company like the Flaming Fists have 'allied' mercenary companies among the smaller bands? In other words, if they needed to 'swell their ranks' for a contract, or just needed to get a few more troops into a distant area, would they be willing to sub-contract other groups under their banner?

They weren't even necessarily operating near there; they could have been returning from something else and were passing by.

My thinking is that someone else had used them for something not time-sensitive. Maybe to make a strong show of force against a less-than-peaceful neighbor, maybe to go clear out an area known to have hosted hostiles for a long time.

Basically, anything that wasn't "Oh, crap, we are going to get smashed now, so let's hire an army that will take a month to get here!"

If you go with the assumption that the Flaming Fist was specifically called to the area to deal with an orc horde that was going to attack in a month, then you have other conundrums: why were there no local forces available?

If they could have divined the horde was going to be there, why not go one step further and simply keep the horde from forming? Take out the main warleader (and his tribe) before he forms the horde, the horde doesn't form.

And even better, with a history of orc hordes sweeping out of the North, why had no one ever thought of divination before?

Basically, having them already in the area is the easiest and most logical solution. The problem of why they were there is a lot easier to solve than explaining why no one else was available and this one-off and rather clunky use of divination.

Go to Top of Page

Omenborn
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  18:34:12  Show Profile Send Omenborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Terms of logistics you could reduce your Supply Train a great deal when they have some agents in the Towns/Citys that are lying along the Travel Route so that they can purchase the needed Supplys in Time for the aproaching Army.
Further Using Ships from BG to Waterdeep will also reduce the Traveling Time a great deal.

Some Adventure for Gold,
others for Fame,
ME i just like to KILL THING
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  21:18:21  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Wooly is right, in part, the easiest explanation is that they were already in the area. Some of the issues raised by some other suggestions cause unforeseen lore problems that might need to be explained later. Additionally, it could make the Flaming Fist more expansive and influential than they really are--especially that far North.

I think the easiest explanation is that we are discussing a smaller contingent of the Flaming Fist--not the entire company. They could have already been in the area. A good explanation for their being there is that they were accompanying Duke Eltan on some important bit of business. They would have been more of a honor guard mostly for show, but also to provide protection and likely some of the most elite members of the Fist. If we assume that they were in the area on official business with Duke Eltan, and then the problem arose--and a need for additional forces was required by Sundabar--a deal could have been struck for Eltan to offer most of his honor guard to help fight some orcs.

The lore quoted by Kanzen states, "(Sundabar's) coffers were rich enough to hire the Flaming Fist mercenary company once, to swing through Dead Orc Pass and fall upon an orc horde from behind." This sounds like a pincer move in which a smaller group of elite soldiers played a key role. In other words, Sundabar's main forces attacked the horde, and the elite Flaming Fist moved in down behind and hit them hard from the back. This would have caused the horde to break, and begin to retreat--at which point a small group of highly trained mercenaries like the Fist could wreck them up pretty bad--kinda like throwing them in a meat grinder. It could even be assumed that Duke Eltan and the Fist came up with the plan, and since they played the critical role (even though they were fewer in number), they are the ones who receive the credit.

This is the easiest explanation. It is not unreasonable that Duke Eltan would be traveling to other influential cities due to his position in Baldur's Gate, and would have a number of elite Flaming Fist with him as a powerful honor guard. It does not require broader explanations that make things harder to explain or inflate the power or influence of the Flaming Fist beyond what is known in the lore.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2402 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  10:03:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

if they needed to 'swell their ranks' for a contract, or just needed to get a few more troops into a distant area, would they be willing to sub-contract other groups under their banner?

Unlikely - the Flaming Fist is huge. Now, subcontracting specialists they don't have for a particular job is another matter.
quote:
Gold and Glory:
The Flaming Fist seldom recruits locals for a battle (they hardly need to!), but sometimes hires advisers or guides.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And even better, with a history of orc hordes sweeping out of the North, why had no one ever thought of divination before?

Why indeed?

quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

I think the easiest explanation is that we are discussing a smaller contingent of the Flaming Fist--not the entire company. They could have already been in the area.

Sure. They work in detachments all the time, while keeping at home more than enough to protect Baldur's Gate and the roads around it.
They are big enough to split.
quote:
Gold and Glory:
Recently, 300 members were hired with Sembian funds to participate in the Horde Wars.
At the same time as the Horde Wars, the Flaming Fist took action against the pirates of the Sword Coast
Also, Duke Eltan noticed an opportunity in leaderless Tethyr.
He has been cautiously scouting the region, hiring out small bands for reduced fees in Tethyr.
When word reached Eltan that the Golden Legion had discov ered and conquered Maztica, Eltan's curiosity was piqued, and he decided to find Anchorome.
Eltan bought a fleet of ships and sent several hundred men and women across
the seas. The ships stopped in Lantan, where the company split, three ships heading to Chult.
Hiring the entire Flaming Fist costs 10,000 gp per day, with smaller divisions costing a proportionate amount. The mobilization
of the company can bankrupt an area.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  09:49:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I wonder if the lower echelon mercs of the fist might not agree to a lesser wage just for the mere fact that they AREN'T working in some two bit merc company where half their fellow soldiers are simple soldiers of 1st or 2nd level. I mean, there's merc work, and then there's merc work that you're more likely to survive from and thus actually get paid. In return, maybe the fist has a buttload of low level clerics of Tempus/Red Knight/Garagos, etc... who are also apt to heal wounds that lesser merc companies couldn't afford to care for.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000