Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarves Deep vs the Thunder Blessing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11749 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  20:49:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Dwarven wizard is even further out there for me than dwarven ranger.

I don't know, I've never had a problem with dwarven wizards, given that they've always been known for rune magic. Same goes with Dwarven bards, though I picture them more of the Norse type of bards.

The ones I find to be harder to believe are Halfling wizards, of which we haven't seen a large number. That being said, I'm fervently of the belief that "Dungeonmaster" of the cartoon was in fact a Halfling wizard.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  16:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

Do you really consider deep spawn progeny a regular dwarf? for me those products are not complete and should not be considered any race at all. I personaly hate deep spawn as a monster and would never use it in my realms. Where does it get the souls for those copies it makes???

For Moradin's blessing - I would place it closer to the current date just to make it more relevant to living dwarves...

Well like i said im not thinking an actual deepspawn but something like a deep spawn in the same way that we are like chimpanzees.

Im thinking some horrible, grotesque, akira like mass of ever changing flesh. This thing was probably imprisoned in the deepest depths of alatorin and is forced to obey the commands of whoever holds some rune scribed symbol of office from lost shanatar (id possibly make it the wyrmskull throne).

As for the soul thing. Im drawing on mythology here but there is suggestion that primordials create life: othea, maztica.

Since i cant reconcile the existence of a god existing without worshippers then the early life forms have to have been spawned from something, for me that is a primordial being.

So what is a soul that makes it so special and unreproducible. Perhaps it is little more than a living sliver of positive energy. These primordial creatures act as a conduit for that energy and thus the elderspawn can create any number of creatures with its own soul but that look and remember that of another creature which it copied.

Just a few ideas. Ive not really considered this before so its all ad hoc and unresearched.

I have no problem with unique ancient monster that produces creatures from it's flesh. I have problem with photo-copiers for monsters that you plug-in to your dungeon to explain required combat challenges in your adventure.

For me soul is consciousness. Anything living that can learn have a soul even animals. Gods have the ability to create a soul and some primordials/powerful outsiders could do the same.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000