Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New 5E Cleric Domain: Secrets under the Mountain
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2016 :  02:04:42  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here's another creation. I'd appreciate any comments about balance (I'd compare it primarily to the Knowledge and Nature domains).

Secrets under the Mountain Domain
The Secrets under the Mountain domain is the domain of delvesonns of Dumathoin, the Silent Keeper, dwarven god of metals and other buried wealth, the earth’s riches, ores, gems, minerals, mining, exploration, the shield dwarf race, and guardian of the dead.
With some minor adjustments, this domain could also be used for the faithful of the primordial god Grumbar, the gnomish gods Calladuran Smoothands and Segojan Earthcaller, and especially, the halfling god Urogalan.

Secrets under the Mountain Domain Spells
Cleric Level Spells
1st Earth tremorEE, identify
3rd Maximillian’s earthen graspEE, meld into stone
5th Erupting earthEE, nondetection
7th Stone shape, stoneskin
9th Passwall, scrying (a.k.a., “stone seeing”)
EE = Elemental Evil Player’s Companion (free online), reprinted from Princes of the Apocalypse

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with the maul, war pick, warhammer, and heavy armor.

Lord of the Stone
At 1st level, you learn the mold earthEE cantrip and add the following spells to your cleric spell list: conjure minor elementals (earth elementals only), conjure elementals (earth elementals only), transmute rockEE, wall of stone, move earth, investiture of stoneEE, and mind blank.
You also gain advantage with mason’s, jeweler’s, and smith’s tools and Intelligence checks related to the origin, nature, and value of metals, minerals, and stone whether worked or unworked.

Channel Divinity: Secrets of the Ages
At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to tap into a divine well of secret and lost knowledge. As an action, you choose one skill or tool. For 10 minutes, you have proficiency with the chosen skill or tool, although your methods in using the skill or tool will be noticeably distinct compared to way others demonstrate their proficiency.

Stone Tell
Starting at 6th level, by concentrating for 10 minutes, you gain the ability to speak with stones within a 30- foot radius for as long as you continue to concentrate, up to10 minutes, as if you were casting a spell. The stone relate to you who or what has touched them as well as revealing what is covered or concealed behind or under them, including the presence and amounts of metals and minerals, whether worked or unworked. The stones relate complete descriptions if asked. A stone’s perspective, perception, and knowledge may prevent the stone from providing the details for which you are looking.

Divine Strike: Strike of the Dead
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Dumathoin’s Trusted Dead
Starting at 17th level, you become one of the Thorsamsonn, “Dumathoin’s Trusted Dead.” Your body and worn equipment begin to calcify—though your movement isn’t hampered—turning you into living rock with skin of light gray hue, a beard composed of a cluster of stalactites, and eyes like deep green emeralds. You are considered undead, and gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagic weapons and necrotic damage, immunity to poison damage, and become immune to the exhausted, petrified, and poisoned conditions. In addition, you no longer require air, food, drink, or sleep and do not age. As undead, most magical healing has no affect on you, however, your god allows you to use your own healing spells to heal yourself despite your undead nature.

Designer’s Notes
Inspired primarily by the Dumathoin entry in Demihuman Deities, Dwarves Deep, and Monster Mythology and the 3E Cavern and Earth domains from the Player’s Handbook and Player’s Guide to the Forgotten Realms. I also looked at the entries for Grumbar, Calladuran Smoothands, Segojan Earthcaller, and Urogalan in Faith and Avatars and Demihuman Deities.

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2016 :  09:54:23  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11743 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  19:06:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. Just one recommendation. For the channel divinity, it often will take longer than 10 minutes to craft something with a tool. I'm not sure how to make this better, but my initial thoughts are that the tool or skill proficiency might last for 8 hours, but with the caveat maybe that after being used once you have to use a short rest in order to perform this particular form of channel divinity? Feels a little clunky, but....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  23:56:49  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback. So the channel divinity feature is a reskinned version of the Knowledge domain feature, identical in every way mechanically. I really hemmed and hawed on the channel divinity feature. I'm totally open to other ideas as that one was the least exciting to me.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11743 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  16:38:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Thanks for the feedback. So the channel divinity feature is a reskinned version of the Knowledge domain feature, identical in every way mechanically. I really hemmed and hawed on the channel divinity feature. I'm totally open to other ideas as that one was the least exciting to me.

Hmmm, ok, if you're open to other ideas for the channel divinity, let's throw out some. "Keeper of Secrets"... what if you can enact a non-detection effect that lasts for say an hour. Also, what if you can spend two turn attempts instead of one to enact a modify memory effect? Is there any mechanic like that yet for expending multiple turn attempts?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11743 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  16:51:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, this has a very undead vibe to it that I don't think Dumathoin has. One of his specific creeds in Demihuman Deities is "Abide not
undead creatures, especially those that take the form of dwarves, thus mocking the creation of Moradin." You could give him the same resistances and have him taking on elemental attributes (this would work with the damage reduction and the lack of needing to eat/drink/breathe) or turning into a living construct, just from a verbiage standpoint (you would have to reword the healing bit though, which may make you want to remove some ability, like maybe not making them immune to necrotic damage). The damage for the 8th level ability could be something that increases say bludgeoning damage when using a bludgeoning weapon rather than necrotic damage (maybe they alter the mass of their weapons, or maybe they feel lighter in their hands so they swing them faster).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  21:46:22  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the nondetection idea. Let me think about that. Thanks.

Regarding the undead vibe. It struck me that both Dumathoin and Urogalan (who to my mind might as well just be a Halfling alias of Dumathoin) have the keeper of the dead thing going, but it would not be something that would necessarily noticeable among more junior clergy, but come out more as the priest got deeper into the mysteries of the faith. All of which is a long winded way of saying that why I went with a necrotic divine strike and then the very Dumathoin ability to become a Thorsamsonn (which is canon lore from 2E and other sources, though I suppose in 3.5E they would have been rebranded as the good/hallowed undead type [along with baelnorns] which I'm forgetting the name of).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000