Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Question about Heartwarder PrC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2016 :  20:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've combed through everything I can find, including Candlekeep's archives, looking for some errata to address this issue: In Faiths and Pantheons (3E; p197), it states that Sune's Heartwarder gains the following ability at 6th level:

quote:
Voice of a Siren (Su): At 6th level, a heartwarder's voice is so enticing that she weakens the ability of opponents to resist her spells. She gains the Spell Focus (Enchantment) and Spell Penetration feats, but they only apply to spells with a verbal component (and are not altered with the Silent Spell feat).

The only problem with this is that Spell Focus (enchantment) is a prerequisite for accessing the PrC...meaning a Heartwarder would already have that feat long before getting to level 6. So, this is almost certainly an error.

The easiest assumption/fix is that they meant Greater Spell Focus (enchantment), but so far I've been unable to find anything official on the point. That's easy enough to rule on, but I wanted to check and see whether anyone here might know of an official stance or errata regarding the Heartwarder before I hand down a decision to my players. Any help or advice would be appreciated. :)

In the battle between good and evil...evil gets better clothes.

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2016 :  02:31:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never noticed that. Sounds like a good "fix".

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2016 :  14:29:06  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be marked explicitly if d20 was designed sensibly.
Just read all these either in one consistent way (and make sure the players know which), either
A) As non-overlapping "equivalent of...". Or
B) As overlapping, being different ways to achieve the same result.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 19 Jul 2016 17:36:05
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2016 :  12:35:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably just go with Greater Spell Focus (enchantment) as it's thematic and fit's the narrative of the prestige class.
Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  21:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses. :) Still haven't found any official word on the subject, so I'll probably just go the GSF route. If anyone does spot something in the way of errata or similar, though, please do let me know! I'd love to know what WotC decided on this (if they ever caught it).

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  03:15:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it's a 3.0 product, I'm guessing that it hasn't been errated nor will it likel be by WotC. You're going to probably have to houserule it.
Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  22:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's my guess, as well. Since I'm having so much trouble finding something, I have to assume that they haven't ever gotten round to it, and at this point they almost certainly never will.

Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  10:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I e-mailed them and got this answer:

quote:
It seems that your question refers to an older edition of Dungeons & Dragons Tabletop Roleplaying Game. Unfortunately, that version is no longer supported by our team. All available support for older editions can be found here: http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2295/

I apologize that I'm not better able to assist with your clearly articulated questions. On another note, the Dungeon Master is empowered to make decisions and craft the world in which the players exist. If the information available at the link above does not provide you the clarification you're seeking, the DM (including yourself) should feel comfortable making a decision appropriate for the game. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply back to this email, or give us a call at the contact number below during business hours. We'll be happy to help you out however we can.

So yeah, no dice.

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  20:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's...there's a lot packed into that response, isn't there. 9_9

Thanks for trying, though!

Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  09:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan Coldsoul

There's...there's a lot packed into that response, isn't there. 9_9

Thanks for trying, though!

However, one of the authors of the book has a wee thread dedicated to him here, maybe ask the author directly? :)

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2016 :  02:03:49  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, indeed!? Which one? :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000