Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Hospice of St. Laupsenn [Waterdeep]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  18:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After combing the forums, I haven't found much info other than a name, the fact that it's a temple in Waterdeep, and that the temple is a three story structure. I have a player who's interested in playing a Priest of Ilmater in my upcoming Waterdeep game, so I'm doing a little speculation, as follows.
  • I noticed in some scrolls here that the temple in question might be dedicated to a Saint of Ilmater, but I can find nothing about that Saint in my books.
  • I also noticed that the building's outline/shape is on the older maps of the city, but it isn't labeled as the Hospice until the 3e City of Splendors book.
  • This leads me to conclude that the building has been there for some time, but perhaps the temple didn't have a name until the 3e era.

If the temple has always existed, did it always exist as a temple to Ilmater? Or has the building been largely ignored until it was taken over and dedicated to the Saint in question?

This lead to a little more speculation on my part.
  • In every Waterdeep source, I've noted that the House of Healing, the headquarters for the Guild of Apothecaries and Physicians is just down the road, so to speak.
  • This Guild is noted for its occasional incident of fraudulent members.
  • So what if I tied this together to give reason for the sudden appearance of the Hospice?

What if the Temple has always been dedicated to Ilmater's faith, but not been a very noteworthy location in the city, hence the faith's lack of mention in any of the sourcebooks? What if a member of the temple clergy uncovered a fraudulent snake oil salesman in the Guild of Apothecaries, and became a martyr in his attempt to expose the fraud, and as a result, the temple became rededicated to his name and the martyred priest was elevated to Sainthood?

What sort of snake oil would be worthy of such veneration? Perhaps the Guild member was practicing necromancy on the side and his pain relief potion was slowly killing people, and making a special kind of undead zombie once the patient was dead?
Or perhaps he was making contraceptive herbal remedies that instead made the patients completely barren, leading to noblewomen in the district not producing heirs?

Anyway, that's an idea I had, but I wanted to run it through the grinders here and see what other ideas people might have.
I've been referencing the Sacred Sisters of the Crying God handout we got at last year's Candlekeep Presents and wondering about the possibility of creating another Patron Saint out of this, but the idea is bouncing around in my head like a pinball and not really going anywhere. Maybe someone here can take the idea and run with it.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 12 Jun 2016 18:12:54

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  08:21:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll check in Eric's Waterdeep 3E product notes as to whether there is any background on this place.

Hopefully there will be something to help flesh out your ideas.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  10:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'll check in Eric's Waterdeep 3E product notes as to whether there is any background on this place.

Hopefully there will be something to help flesh out your ideas.

-- George Krashos

Thanks, George! I appreciate it.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  17:10:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, Eric did a small write-up for several faiths that didn't survive the editorial cut for CoS-W. What was cut was as follows:

"Church of Ilmater

In the City of Splendors, worship of the Triad (Tyr, Torm and Ilmater) has long been subsumed by the Halls of Justice (C5), Waterdeep's temple of Tyr. After the Time of Troubles, large swaths of the citizenry were afflicted with fiendish plagues. While most recovered with clerical attention, for some the effects of the disease continued to linger, resistant to the healing effects of magic.

As few Waterdhavians would have anything to do with the fiend-afflicted sufferers, for fear of catching the plague anew, the followers of the Crying God decided to create a place for the lepers. The llmatari erected the Hospice of St Laupsenn (N73), named for the priest who tended those similarly affected in the aftermath of the Weeping War, and have continued in quiet service to this day. The hospice is funded by private charitable contributions (many of which come from the personal holdings of the Lords) and tithes from the Church of Tyr. It is unclear whether or not the temple will continue after the last of the patients finally dies."

I note that the references relied upon by Eric regarding the actual existence of Ilmater worship in Waterdeep were the novel Dream Spheres (p.307) and Lands of Intrigue - Tethyr (p.43). Neither source provides any details, but simply notes the existence of an Ilmatari church in the City of Splendors.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  20:38:22  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Okay, Eric did a small write-up for several faiths that didn't survive the editorial cut for CoS-W. What was cut was as follows:

"Church of Ilmater

In the City of Splendors, worship of the Triad (Tyr, Torm and Ilmater) has long been subsumed by the Halls of Justice (C5), Waterdeep's temple of Tyr. After the Time of Troubles, large swaths of the citizenry were afflicted with fiendish plagues. While most recovered with clerical attention, for some the effects of the disease continued to linger, resistant to the healing effects of magic.

As few Waterdhavians would have anything to do with the fiend-afflicted sufferers, for fear of catching the plague anew, the followers of the Crying God decided to create a place for the lepers. The llmatari erected the Hospice of St Laupsenn (N73), named for the priest who tended those similarly affected in the aftermath of the Weeping War, and have continued in quiet service to this day. The hospice is funded by private charitable contributions (many of which come from the personal holdings of the Lords) and tithes from the Church of Tyr. It is unclear whether or not the temple will continue after the last of the patients finally dies."

I note that the references relied upon by Eric regarding the actual existence of Ilmater worship in Waterdeep were the novel Dream Spheres (p.307) and Lands of Intrigue - Tethyr (p.43). Neither source provides any details, but simply notes the existence of an Ilmatari church in the City of Splendors.

-- George Krashos

That's great info! Thank you so much, and double thanks for the references.

I'll be incorporating that lore for sure.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  21:59:10  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing that George ! Every exclusive bit of waterdhavian lore from Eric is precious.

Edited by - Marco Volo on 17 Jun 2016 21:59:29
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  03:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd update this scroll with this map of the Hospice I finished for my home game. I have a DM's version that's not quite as nice looking, with a few extra details, but if anyone wants to use the map for their own games, feel free. I know several other scribes are planning Waterdhavian games, so I thought it might be useful to them. The actual building shape is based off the building on the official maps, a few small tweaks were made (plus or minus a few feet here and there) to make it fit on a grid better, but it's overall to scale, thanks to calculations my wife made for me.
Anyway, hope it helps.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 04 Aug 2016 03:18:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000