Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So sad, not getting the FR Lore I hoped
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  15:20:41  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Every once in awhile I check to see how FR is doing with the new edition. I keep longing for the kind of lore from 2nd Edition to return. More material like Volo's guides and Elminster's Forgotten Realms. More books like Silver Marches and Lands of Intrigue.

I keep finding more and more disappointment. I feel said the Realms are just dead to me. Composed of nothing but glorified game mechanics and dungeon bashing glory instead of the rich tapestry it once was.

First I was disappointed to only see a book mainly on the Sword Coast as the first official campaign book of 5E. Then the other two, Tiamat and Elemental Princes, we're just big adventures with little lore.

Now this topic of the Giants running amok in Faerun. Just another adventure of "kill a bunch of Giants" with little lore attached to it. Why can't they make a supplement like Giantcraft, with updated and new giant lore? This would be a prime time but instead the best we get is a Volo Guide coming that is more than half riddled with monster stats than lore.

I guess what I am saying is I had hopes we would see more work as of 2E Forgotten Realms where the game mechanics were little and the lore was massive and fun. Inspiring to say the least.

I find it tragic that the only time I will see the Realms supplements the way I wished again is only if WoTC/Hasbro no longer has ownership of it.

This agonizingly slow take on the Realms is not for me. The Realms was shattered in 4E and now they're just zombified in 5e. I have no hopes for 6e Realms.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  16:09:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thats why the dms guild is so awesome. George krashos is doing his bit to keep the realms alive. I have a feeling that Ed and the Onder Librum will be doing things for the realms. I still hold out hope that Eric Boyd will release his work on the north someday.
And if you liked any of my alternate dimensions stuff i am finishing up the first age of netheril to release on there.
Every cloud has a silver lining and i am quite happy with current events (in real life, not the realms 1450 was an epic fail and 1490 wasnt much better. Long live 1356 DR)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  05:28:03  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly getting our realms lore via the DM guild does have a plus to it, given WOTC's previous love of realms shaking events the less offical products about the realms the less likely we're to see massive changes
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  14:13:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see it happen, but I doubt the Realms will ever get back to the golden years (2e) of producing high volume quality sourcebooks. Thankfully, there are a ton of 2e books to keep most of us busy for awhile.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  23:12:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, I once referred to late-2E as being the "golden era" of (A)D&D. Some of the TSR/Wizbro-affiliated old-timers "corrected" me with their very different (and generally unhappy) interpretations about that period.

It's not just about the sourcebooks, though. There also needs to be novels. Real novels about a living world, not just the usual edition-transition trilogy and a bunch more Drizzt/Elminster pulp.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  00:27:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

lol, I once referred to late-2E as being the "golden era" of (A)D&D. Some of the TSR/Wizbro-affiliated old-timers "corrected" me with their very different (and generally unhappy) interpretations about that period.

Do tell ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  01:36:44  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Eric, George and Ed are able to release the lore they've all been working on then that will keep us 1ed and 2nd ed junkies in lore for the rest of our lives. I've only seen a small amount of the things that George and Eric have done and I can verify that it's as good or better as the "good" lore ever was in the Realms. Eric's stuff is just unbelievable.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  01:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Depends by what you interpret as "late-2E". Going by my memory, there were really great products published towards the end of 2E. Off of the top of my head, Cloak & Dagger, Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark, Skullport and the Raven's Bluff book are all top-notch products.

The only stinker in my mind is the Netheril boxed set, but that's only because it diverged from Ed's original vision of Netheril. There is still quite a bit of useful stuff in it however. The real problem with late 2E was rules bloat, especially when you throw in all the players option books. But that was nothing compared to all the options and rule revisions that occurred during 3/3.5E.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  02:31:26  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Do tell ...

-- George Krashos

Yeah Ayrik... don't drop a tease bomb like that. Those people in that story are probably not worth protecting anymore... i.e. not being the high volume hot crap Wasbro wants anyhow... :P
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  11:36:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha, a few of those people in that story are actually still active authors/designers/heralds for WotC. Left unnamed here because while their opinions and my opinions about 2E may differ in some ways, they've still contributed in shaping Realmslore (and other AD&D/D&D rulebooks, settings, adventures, articles, and lore) which we all love.

The pedantically curious can always consult Candlekeep's sickly search genie, or they may refer to the almighty google oracle. Nothing I've said on Candlekeep is hidden from such powerful divinations, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2016 :  03:49:59  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to chime in (and try not to snipe at Wizbro while I do it). As long as fans such as the people here are producing the content they're working on...the lore will continue to grow and that's all that matters. Am I upset we aren't getting our 'official' lore like we used too? Absolutely. But there are giants among us in this forum and at the DMs Guild...and that's more than good enough for me.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Austin the Archmage
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  19:54:38  Show Profile Send Austin the Archmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it sucks, but at least you got to spend a couple of decades with your favorite setting getting ample support.

Ah, Scarred Lands...you were taken from us too soon.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  04:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Austin the Archmage

I know it sucks, but at least you got to spend a couple of decades with your favorite setting getting ample support.

Good news, Onyx Path Productions kickstarted a new Scarred Lands product awhile ago. For Pathfinder and 5e, I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Austin the Archmage
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  13:23:46  Show Profile Send Austin the Archmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Austin the Archmage

Good news, Onyx Path Productions kickstarted a new Scarred Lands product awhile ago. For Pathfinder and 5e, I believe.

Cool. Although I recall when they made a monster manual for 4E, but never came out with any more supplements. Hopefully this revival will be a little more expansive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000