Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Xanathar post-Sundering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  15:14:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any info regarding the Xanathar after the Spellplague? Any lore regarding their goals in the current time?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  16:35:41  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC did an article for DDI back in 2012 (Dungeon #206).

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156571/Dungeon-206-4e

The article has an adventure set in Skullport immediately after it.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 14 Feb 2016 16:44:28
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  16:43:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Skullport article? If so, I have that article, but it doesn't include any relevant info on the Xanathar :/

I guess I'm better off asking Ed.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  16:45:18  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

The Skullport article? If so, I have that article, but it doesn't include any relevant info on the Xanathar :/

The article is before the Skullport adventure.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  16:49:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

quote:

The article is before the Skullport adventure.

I meant the Backdrop: Skullport article. If that's the one, it doesn't have anything on the Xanathar.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  04:58:17  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I meant the Backdrop: Skullport article. If that's the one, it doesn't have anything on the Xanathar.

No, that was in issue #200. The one on the Xanathar is in #206.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  11:48:32  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ehh….. I'm also interested to know if Skullport still exists (or maybe it was retcon-eliminated) in 5th Edition era (aka 5th Edition Era = post-Sundering). I do realize that several cities no longer exist in 5th Edition landscape. For example, Nesme seems to have been captured then destroyed by the Many-Arrows Orc Horde (although I read that it was destroyed multiple times and rebuilt throughout its history).

A few other large towns are not even mentioned once in the new Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, like Everlund. Anyone have any info on Everlund's "existence status" in 5th Edition (post Sundering)?

But back to Skullport, I hope it still exists intact in post-Sundering. I want my (5th Edition) players to stumble into Skullport some day.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  13:57:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

quote:

No, that was in issue #200. The one on the Xanathar is in #206.

Thanks!

@Moonbeast. Skullport still exists and the population is growing there. The skulls and the mantle still exist as well, but most of the iconic organizations and power groups are gone. The portals are no more, so no keepers. The Iron Ring has been reforged (but it really isn't its former self). However, the drow, the duergar, the Harpers, the Kraken Society, the Eilistraeeans of the Promenade (although some of those drow might try to rebuild the temple, now that Eilistraee is back) and what you have, are no longer in Skullport. Idk if the Xanathar has still business there (I've haven't bought the related article yet).

The thing is that, without the portals, Skullport has lost one of its main features, one that attracted many slavers and merchants (as it allowed easier travel to a free zone that is otherwise dangerous to reach). So, I don't really see it going back to its former ''splendor'', unless those are restored.

To be honest, the 4e Skullport (at least as presented in the Dungeon article) is rather bland, not nearly as engaging as it was before.

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Feb 2016 13:59:49
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  14:19:36  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh, so it's Skullport, but it's not really Skullport any more. :(

Unlike the Undermountain…. that mega-dungeon managed to keep its charm and character and was published/re-published for at least 3 editions, so it was worth returning and returning and returning to it for successive generations of adventurers.

P.S. — I love classic mega-dungeons, and IMHO Skullport is a megadungeon that masks itself as an undercity.

Edited by - moonbeast on 15 Feb 2016 14:22:14
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  14:27:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Ugh, so it's Skullport, but it's not really Skullport any more. :(

Unlike the Undermountain…. that mega-dungeon managed to keep its charm and character and was published/re-published for at least 3 editions, so it was worth returning and returning and returning to it for successive generations of adventurers.

P.S. — I love classic mega-dungeons, and IMHO Skullport is a megadungeon that masks itself as an undercity.

If you want to use it as a megadungeon, you can. But Skullport is also much more, and fits extremely well in an intrigue-based campaign (or it used to). IMHO, you should just pick up the 2e Skullport source and start from there, if you want to use the city in 5e. You may have someone restore the portals (maybe one of the power groups who want to control that resource), and slowly have all the organizations return, called by the promise of easy profit (and the Skulls would only encourage such a thing, given their goal). Even the followers of Eilistraee have reasons to rebuild the Promenade, as many of the portals that they use to reach various areas in the Underdark for their missions converge there.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  15:13:18  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you want to use it as a megadungeon, you can. But Skullport is also much more, and fits extremely well in an intrigue-based campaign (or it used to). IMHO, you should just pick up the 2e Skullport source and start from there, if you want to use the city in 5e.

I would love to use Skullport in the future for my 5e campaign. But knowing WOTC's slow glacial pace of releasing products… a 5th Edition Skullport is probably not in their ToDo List any time soon. I may follow your advice and just get a copy of the old 2e Skullport supplement.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  15:36:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Xanathar is mentioned in the description of Ed's upcoming book. I get the impression he's still running a criminal gang. Unless it's a different beholder using the same name.
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  17:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall, there have indeed been several "The" Xanathar's, so it's quite possible and in fact highly probable. He/she/it doesn't even actually have to BE a Beholder. The name and the reputation that comes with it is what truly matters, so anyone could be hiding behind it. Even if the general concensus in Skullport is that it couldn't possibly be the original after all these years, as long as the organization maintains it's control and reputation it's all good. (Or bad as the case may be..)
Now, as for Skullport without the gates and locks allowing access to the Sea? No way.. doesn't work for me. As a DM I would rule that they were restored or recreated after the spellplauge, and theres no reason for the Sundering to have affected them at all.
It might be fun and interesting if the gates fluctuate and "misfire" every now and then.. sending the ship not up towards the surface but "Elsewhere". Elsewhere could be any body of water, they could end up in the Moonsea or Sea of Fallen Stars, or even off the coast of Maztica or Kara-Tur!! It would be a well known fact that this happens randomly, and numerous ships have been lost. Tales come back as rummors of long lost folk who found their way back, but nothing proven. This makes travel to and from Skullport an even more dangerous trip than ever, but many Captains still feel the coin they can make is worth it. (Of course costs have risen a bit due to the added potential danger)
This would be a fun way for DM's to throw the adventurers in an entirely new direction.
Even if the Sea Gates were gone, the inhabitants of Skullport would simply adapt to using more mundane methods to ship goods back and forth to and from Waterdeep. It would require more work and subterfuge, but the illicit trade would continue. There would probably be numerous warehouses in Waterdeep with secret access down into the Sewers and deeper. Ships would simply do business in Waterdeep, and the less desirable races and folk would remain down in Skullport, so the Lords would reasonably support this as long as "nothing dangerous" is brought up. Of course that simply requires enough intrigue and subtlety for the Waterdeep Authority to not be made aware of "something dangerous".
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  22:15:00  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ehh….. I'm also interested to know if Skullport still exists (or maybe it was retcon-eliminated) in 5th Edition era (aka 5th Edition Era = post-Sundering). I do realize that several cities no longer exist in 5th Edition landscape. For example, Nesme seems to have been captured then destroyed by the Many-Arrows Orc Horde (although I read that it was destroyed multiple times and rebuilt throughout its history).

A few other large towns are not even mentioned once in the new Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, like Everlund. Anyone have any info on Everlund's "existence status" in 5th Edition (post Sundering)?

But back to Skullport, I hope it still exists intact in post-Sundering. I want my (5th Edition) players to stumble into Skullport some day.

That's the big problem with the SCAG is that important info like that wasn't offered, what was needed was a FRCG, instead we got the SCAG, which is why alot of my interest has shifted from D&D 5e and FR, to the Chronicles of Darkness (New World of Darkness 5e), especially the up coming Changeling: the Lost 2e.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  04:57:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm did I not see a beholder of that name in neverwinter right before I slew him.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2016 :  04:50:14  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

If I recall, there have indeed been several "The" Xanathar's, so it's quite possible and in fact highly probable. He/she/it doesn't even actually have to BE a Beholder. The name and the reputation that comes with it is what truly matters, so anyone could be hiding behind it. Even if the general concensus in Skullport is that it couldn't possibly be the original after all these years, as long as the organization maintains it's control and reputation it's all good. (Or bad as the case may be..)

Then there is always the possibility that "The Xanathar" is not an actual personal Beholder name, but rather a magnanimous title. For example, it might mean "The Great One" in the Beholder tongue. Or it might mean something like "The Incomparable".

For example, in human (Earth) history, we have had several legendary figures that took the title of "The Great". Alexander the Great. Charlemagne "Charles the Great". Catherine the Great. And then you also have Ivan The Terrible. And Suleiman the Magnificent, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2016 :  05:33:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

Then there is always the possibility that "The Xanathar" is not an actual personal Beholder name, but rather a magnanimous title. For example, it might mean "The Great One" in the Beholder tongue. Or it might mean something like "The Incomparable".

For example, in human (Earth) history, we have had several legendary figures that took the title of "The Great". Alexander the Great. Charlemagne "Charles the Great". Catherine the Great. And then you also have Ivan The Terrible. And Suleiman the Magnificent, etc.

The first Xanathar was actually named Xanathar. It became a title - The Xanathar - once he was replaced.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2016 :  08:29:03  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The first Xanathar was actually named Xanathar. It became a title - The Xanathar - once he was replaced.

Ahh, then makes sense. The same analogy as with Caesar. The first (original) Caesar was Julius Caesar. His name became synonymous with the title of Roman rulers. And hence Caesar became a title for all future emperors. The title also spread to other countries, like Russian Tsars, Polish Czars, and of course the German Kaisers.
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2016 :  15:45:24  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's exactly analogous with "The Dread Pirate Roberts".

Regarding the Skullport thing, until such time as further info is published, I'd also suggest the "take the 2e sourcebook and run" method. I wouldn't expect anything official soon, WotC isn't in the business model of putting out splat books. So until they get around to doing an adventure path there, we're very likely SOL. The nice thing is that with all the back-material already published, there's TONS of fodder for re-establishing Skullport and UNdermountain however you see fit!

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000