Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Buying magic items in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2015 :  18:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my (non-D&D/non-Realms but darkly magical in the sense of medieval history + a dash of epic fantasy) campaign one of the PCs has been wielding a sword for the better part of five game years (ten real life years!) and he still doesn't know what makes it special (beyond the steel being red) :D
In my ever-expanding notes I've written a few triggers that would allow the PC to discover the secrets of the blade, but so far no luck hehe.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2015 :  19:04:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Is there actually an ingame reason why Magic items are less common in the realms in 5ed? Did the Weave collpsing during the Spellplague nulify alot of Magic items?
Was there ever an in game reason why magic items were more common in 3rd edition? Were the Thayan Enclaves new in the 1370s (rather than a retcon)? If there was an in game reason, then the Spellplague would certainly be a good excuse (I can't find any reference to Thayan Enclaves in the FRCG).

FRA essentially updated the Realms to 2E, it described the changes to the lands and peoples (and game rules) after the Time of Troubles. Red Wizards were apparently unstoppably powerful in 1E era, and apparently much less powerful in 2E - the in-setting explanation being that they once had collective access to a "powerful artifact" destroyed during the ToT. The rules of magic changed - some magic continued to work, some magic worked differently, some no longer worked at all - the loss of an unspecified "powerful artifact" provided plausible setting continuity.

Another Mystran interregnum was catalyzed by Netheril's Fall. No goddess no magic, new goddess new magic, a period of crazed magic disruption, old magic then reformatted to the new rules. (Although I feel the disposition of "inert" quasi-magical items and artifacts was never properly resolved, which created some unanswered questions after the return of Shade.)

My interest in D&D began to wane before 4E was introduced, and the SpellPlague killed it entirely. I confess that I probably won't even give 5E a fair chance. New rules of magic seem to be more about new books to sell, not about new events in the Realms, and there's really only so many times the same Mystra-died-again plot device can be recycled before it becomes a dull footnote in Realmslore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  03:21:16  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

In my (non-D&D/non-Realms but darkly magical in the sense of medieval history + a dash of epic fantasy) campaign one of the PCs has been wielding a sword for the better part of five game years (ten real life years!) and he still doesn't know what makes it special (beyond the steel being red) :D
In my ever-expanding notes I've written a few triggers that would allow the PC to discover the secrets of the blade, but so far no luck hehe.

I'd recommend he reads through the Red Steel books then. That is a pretty well documented item type :P
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  16:02:49  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Insofar as the magic items in 3E books are based on wealth-by-level guidelines, they're simple rules artefacts, products of the distorting lens of imposing temporary game conventions on the underlying setting lore -- which in this case is clearly set out in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. Sometimes rules reflect settings relatively transparently, but in this case 3E supposed far easier magic-item crafting than exists in the Realms.

Let's also remember, once more, that Fritz Leiber's 'Bazaar of the Bizarre' is an absurdist satire of consumerism.
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  04:02:37  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is very little edition specific information in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical when it comes to the rules for creating magical items. They can easily be used in any newer edition, with the only potential issue being a lack of permanency spell (or a permanency spell that doesn't discourage casters from creating magical items). Once you tweak/create permanency the rules are good to be used from that point forward.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.

Edited by - JohnLynch on 22 Nov 2015 04:04:59
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  16:05:18  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones
What the Realms doesn't do well is actually figuring out how magic can play havoc with the economy, when some enterprising wizard can become a salt or metallurgy kingpin, or can flood the market with magical items.

I always thought that the destruction of an in-game economy was always related to the unusual pricing of chickens.

Chicken stealing is definitely a good activity for bandits and low level PCs.

SQWAAAAAAAK

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000