Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gharri Wondermaker?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2015 :  02:05:42  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I need to dig up some details on Gharri. What books or sources shed some light on the priest? My main concern is when did he die, what details are there concerning his death and was his body recovered, buried? - Thanks

"Beware the Dream Fever!"

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2015 :  10:31:08  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As he is more or less an incarnation of Gygax I would just base it on him and his life and spin it from there. The main source I can think of right now is the Forgotten Realms Adventures book which gives a bit of information under Tilverton.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2015 :  17:14:16  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's mentioned in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Set; the Heroes Lorebook; Crusade; and FRC2 - Curse of the Azure Bonds.Unfortunately for you, there is a lot of unreliable narration about Gharri of Gond. One tale says that he led the clergy of Gond at Castle Krag in Shadowdale until he was killed by the Zhentarim while helping Randal Morn in Daggerdale. Another says that he was Alusair's lover but they broke up and Gharri went to Shadowdale where he tried to join the Knights of Myth Drannor before eventually setting up an isolated shop in the Dale. The most common tale is that he was murdered by bounty hunters looking for Alusair. Crusade also says that he was Alusair's lover.The first was the original story that circulated about him, the second is the least likely to be true and the third is the story that Alusair told her father and as such is considered the truth, but whether it is or not is still debated by some.The only date given for his death is in relation to the first story, which notes that he was killed in 1356 DR.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 15 Sep 2015 21:17:02
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2015 :  03:57:25  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to run down each of those that you provided and post them here for anyone else looking for information.

Edit* here is what I dug up with those sources.

Heros Lore Book - The story is that she ran off with a cleric from Tilverton.
He was later killed by bounty hunters who were after the ransom
that had been posted by Alusair#146;s father for her return

Forgotten Realms Adventure - The Temple of Gond Wondermaker,
(formerly Gharri#146;s House), temple complex
to Gond (High Priest Gharri was Elder
of the town, and later Lord Regent,
before his disappearance). -- Gharri was
regarded as an important servant of
Gond, having something of a personal relationship
with the god. There is great interest
in the possibility of Gond passing
Gharri#146;s mantle of personal importance to
someone in Tilverton.

Crusade - "And did you always travel alone?" Azoun asked after she told him of the time she'd been captured by a party of drow north of Waterdeep. "I'd heard that you'd run away with a cleric from Tilverton."

The comment had an immediate effect on Alusair. She paled noticeably, even in the shadowy tent, and her voice trembled slightly when she replied. "Yes, Father. I... traveled with a cleric from Tilverton, Gharri of Gond. He died as we tried to escape some bounty hunters. They were after the reward you'd put on my return."

Azoun moved to his daughter's side. "I don't know what to say ... other than I'm sorry for your loss."

"For a long time I blamed his death on you, Father," the princess said, her face betraying the strain the topic was putting on her. "I only recently decided that you couldn't have known what the bounty hunters would do."

The silence that followed the revelation of Gharri's death was longer and more deadening than the last. Alusair sat, her head bowed slightly, remembering her lost love. Azoun stood over his daughter, his hand on her shoulder. The king considered breaking the silence again, but found there was nothing he could say that wouldn't sound maudlin or foolish.

FRC2 - Curse of the Azure Bonds. -- The Temple of Gond is an imposing structure which dominates the Upper City of Tilverton. It is five stories high and very broad, such that it sits like a brooding dragon overlooking the city. The bulk of the interior is devoted to the main chapel, but small corridors line the perimeter, leading to small meeting rooms, libraries, and areas for spell research. Gond is the god of blacksmiths, artificers, crafts, and construction, and his temple shows it. The walls are littered with clocks and other devices, continually in operation. the floor reverberates from the affect of some subterranean activity, and the ring of the smithy's hammer can be hear in the distances. The clerics of this faith carry hammers instead of the typical maces. The former High priest of the temple was Gharri of Gond (the man who disappeared along with the king's daughter) over a year ago. His subaltern, Burlan of Gond now runs the temple.

Forgotten Realms Campaign setting - GHARRI (JAR-ee)
Gharri of Gond, Gharri Wondermaker
(1302-1356)
Wandered (Tilverton)
15th level Cleric
NG, Gond
Human Male
This diplomatic, urbane man of sometimes
barbed wit (18 Intelligence, and
18 Wisdom) was born in Sembia,
orphaned there in a fire in the city of
Yhaunn, spent his youth with traveling
priests of Gond, and rose in their order
as the years passed to eventually
become High Priest of the foremost
temple of Gond in all the Inner Sea
landsthe temple he founded in Tilverton.
For over a score of winters Gharri
ruled Tilverton in fact, if not in title,
making it a center of innovation and the
manufacture of small but useful items,
toothed gears, for example, and intricate
locks and hinges.
Cormyr occupied the Tilver#146;s Gap
area recently, a move not openly
opposed by Gharri, who considered it
necessary to prevent Tilverton being
overrun by orcs, the troops of Zhentil
Keep, or the expanding empire of
Lashan of Scardale, all of whom wanted
the strategic location and wealth of
Tilver#146;s Gap. Gharri was made Lord
Regent, an empty title considering that
the Cormyrean military commander
would and did make all decisions of
consequence. After some months,
Gharri quietly vanished, coming to the
tiny, ostensibly-ruined fortress of Cas-
tle Krag. Krag was a former bandit-hold
in the woods of Shadowdale, long abandoned,
but recently used secretly by
the Zhentarim and subsequently by the
Lord of Shadowdale. From there,
Gharri quietly got on with the business
of running the local priesthood of Gond
(which included a very good group of
spies reporting all news to him), until he
made a trip to Daggerdale to aid the
Lord of that Place, Randal Morn, and
was destroyed in a titanic magical battle
near Serpentsbridge by a dozen mages
of the Zhentarim. Gharri#146;s reputed
caches of magical and mechanical wonders,
and vast personal wealth in bar
and coin, have not yet been recovered,
nor is his passing known to most of the
Realms.

Edited by - Cbad285 on 15 Sep 2015 04:50:34
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2015 :  21:18:48  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where was The Temple of Gond Wondermaker from? I'm away from my books.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2015 :  03:52:52  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventures book from the grey box set

Edited by - Cbad285 on 16 Sep 2015 03:53:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000