Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sharing official Realmslore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  12:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all, I'm in the midst of several Realms-related projects [I've *really* gotten the bug]. I assume everything published by TSR and Wizards of the Coast and third-party licensees is copyrighted, but that you can use that copyrighted material in games (like, obviously, Dungeons & Dragons).

I'm currently writing four separate adventures (I'm crazy like that, I always work on a lot of things at the same time, be it music, RPG stuff, stories, articles etc), and I've been having fun creating covers that match the classic AD&D line of Realms books, but I am uncertain where the line is drawn when it comes what I can include in an adventure - assuming I share the final PDF here, for example.
Specifically, I am writing one adventure set in Archendale. Since this is an unofficial, fan-made product I assume I can't directly copy/paste material from, say, Volo's Guide to the Dalelands,, but can I use the information given therein? I mean, can I write something like "As you walk down Urserpent Street, you notice a small, unassuming shop on your right. A large wooden sign says Elgath's Provisions."
[In the source, Elgath's Provisons is called 'the smallest' and 'unassuming', so in a sense I am taking it from Volo's Guide..]
Would that be legal?
I can't assume that every locale name and every character in any Realms book is copyrighted, so I guess I *can* write about Elgath and his store.

Another question, would it be illegal for me to extract Realms-articles from Dragon PDFs into one single PDF (I guess I can, as long as I don't share it)?

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  13:09:50  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, you can copy and paste stuff directly from the source as long as:

* You don't publish the work, claiming it all as your own.
* You don't use any copywrite art in such a publication without the artist's permission.

Basically, you can do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't distribute it commercially or for profit.

On the wiki for example, we don't publish articles with the text copied verbatim from the source, but we still include all of the information from the source, written in our own words. Pictures are taken from the artist's or the WotC website (because they count as promotional, which is a copywrite exception) or published under the 'fair use' clause of US copywrite law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Fair_use_under_United_States_law). Occasionally, we have to contact the artist personally and that conversation has gone many different ways.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 21 Aug 2015 13:26:09
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  15:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that is surprising! Thanks for the input. Since I can't include a map of Archenbridge (if I understand you correctly) can I draw one myself which is based off the original?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  17:23:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Oh, that is surprising! Thanks for the input. Since I can't include a map of Archenbridge (if I understand you correctly) can I draw one myself which is based off the original?

I think you CAN use the maps in whatever you are working, just don't publish what you are working on without the artist's permission.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  18:24:31  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it's not that easy and depends entirely on how lenient the owner of the copyright is.

Whether something is distributed commercially or as completely free fan work has little bearing.

Especially the video games moding community can attest to that. In the "best" cases merely hours upon hours of work put into completely free mods has been lost when the copyright owner suddenly decided to no longer tolerate it. In the worst cases the moders in question received not only a note to end their work, but an attached invoice for the copyright owner's lawyers. Just google "fan mod shut down" for a great many examples of completely free fan projects being axed by copyright owners

I wouldn't be vouch that a court would accept a fan published adventure as either "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching , scholarship, or research". As longs as WotC is turning a blind eye to this (during TSR's D&D days there were some "witch hunts" targeting fan shared stuff) it's not a problem. But if WotC for whatever reason decides to step in, they certainly have the better cards in court if it comes to that.

Edited by - Mirtek on 21 Aug 2015 18:30:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000