Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  21:21:51  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Whelp! It's something I guess. How long do you think they stay in this part of Faerun?

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/sc-adventurers-guide

Mod edit: 'Tis an FR RPG product, so I'm moving this scroll to a more appropriate shelf.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Jul 2015 04:34:43

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  21:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really cautious about this. From the description is sounds like it's mostly just whatever the 5e version of feats and PrC's is, with a bit of lore thrown in as a sop. That's probably an over-reaction, but that's about as poor a product blurb as I could have imagined.

On the other hand, a book is a book. So we're already doing better than 4e. Or, hmm. Are we? Did they ever release a 5e general FR setting book?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  21:43:28  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

On the other hand, a book is a book. So we're already doing better than 4e. Or, hmm. Are we? Did they ever release a 5e general FR setting book?
You mean "Did they ever release a 4e general FR seeting book?"? They released two, it was the first setting to get releases in 4e
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  21:43:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's something. Not a FRCS, like most of us would have preferred (or so I guess), but at least it looks like we'll get updated lore on the major changes to the Realms and the various deities.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  22:04:32  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/scag

Note: "Discover the current state of the Forgotten Realms and its deities after the Spellplague and the second Sundering. You’ll also get updated maps of this area of the Realms."

Let's hope that a lot of questions will be finally answered

Edited by - Mirtek on 22 Jul 2015 22:08:34
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  22:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mirtek: No, I meant did they release a 5e FR campaign setting. I know about the two 4e books. Apparently, the answer is no, they haven't. So 5e is still a book down, and the one 5e book that's been announced does not exactly fill me with joy. Fun times. Oh well. Something is better than nothing, at least.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  22:25:36  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll say this. They are keeping their focus with their marketing plan. I'm getting more excited about Sword Coast Legends. So if that is a pretty good game, I'll most likely jump on this as well.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  22:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Note: "Discover the current state of the Forgotten Realms and its deities after the Spellplague and the second Sundering. You’ll also get updated maps of this area of the Realms."

Let's hope that a lot of questions will be finally answered

I'm expecting at least a more complete deity list, maybe a few select blurbs on deities of note that need a little explanation on what they've been doing since last heard from.

An updated map of the region... I'm not sure I can get excited about. We pretty much have that from the other Sword Coast adventures they've published, don't we?

I'm really looking forward to the subclass options, and the backgrounds. The subraces could be interesting, but it'll really depend on what subraces they cover.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  22:46:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is Ed writing any of it? That's what I want to know.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  22:48:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

So is Ed writing any of it? That's what I want to know.

I've just asked this question in the ''Ask Ed'' thread.

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  23:29:23  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks very promising!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  23:32:13  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have R.A. Salvatore on the adventure path, which Ed did some minor editoral work just to vet the lore.

Ed has already said he was on this project as a vetter but has been busy getting the authorship back on track for the published fantasy books.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  23:35:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

They have R.A. Salvatore on the adventure path, which Ed did some minor editoral work just to vet the lore.

Ed has already said he was on this project as a vetter but has been busy getting the authorship back on track for the published fantasy books.

Where did Ed comment on this?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  23:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting wonder if there will be more info at Gencon

Wonder what the page count will be

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  23:48:54  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confident that there will be a tonne of tie-ins with Sword Coast Legends.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  00:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This really confirms what I've believed for some time now. Back in 2012 and the Sundering hype, WotC had no idea how they would fix the Realms beyond some very vague assumptions. Since then, they've fed us sneak peaks, rumors, and snippets to see what we like and what we did not. The last AP had a section that was ALMOST a small update to the Realms. Now we have this mini CG to the Sword Coast: the part of Faerun that was affected the LEAST by the Spellplague.

In short, I believe we will get our Realms, but it's going to be a piece at a time.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  00:29:31  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

This really confirms what I've believed for some time now. Back in 2012 and the Sundering hype, WotC had no idea how they would fix the Realms beyond some very vague assumptions. Since then, they've fed us sneak peaks, rumors, and snippets to see what we like and what we did not. The last AP had a section that was ALMOST a small update to the Realms. Now we have this mini CG to the Sword Coast: the part of Faerun that was affected the LEAST by the Spellplague.

In short, I believe we will get our Realms, but it's going to be a piece at a time.

I'm actually glad that they are keeping a tight focus. Since they don't seem to have the resources to go broad. It just makes me sad because I want more novels and more variety of stories dammit!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  01:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another link with abit more detail

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  02:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

I'm actually glad that they are keeping a tight focus. Since they don't seem to have the resources to go broad. It just makes me sad because I want more novels and more variety of stories dammit!

Agreed. If your budget is not as big as it could be, and you have limited staff, this route makes sense.
It also goes along with what they've been saying all along about choosing sources that people will get the most use out of. I reference my region specific books much more often than I look at my overall campaign settings.
It's different, but it follows what they've been saying all along.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  03:00:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interested in what Green Ronin come up with. Expect it will be mostly crunch, but I don't need WotC for realmslore anymore, so all good!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 23 Jul 2015 03:01:18
Go to Top of Page

sagechan
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  04:41:21  Show Profile Send sagechan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is definitely a crunch component with the class options and backgrounds, as I run a 5e game I'm glad to have some of it applied to that. I'm just hoping that its at least half lore/post-Sundering updating. Ideally I'd like to see pretty good depth to the various areas around the sword coast, including the more southern stretches that have not really been touched at all by 5e. Baldur's Gate doesn't need that much depth as MiBG had a nice write up to just before the Sundering. I hope the Deity section is fairly comprehensive for the core Faerunian pantheon as well, with at least moderate info on each God and additional info on the ones that have returned. Crunch wise I think backgrounds could have some interesting things in it as well. FR spells would be nice too.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  07:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an awful cover.
Not sure I like the lack of a FR logo.
Will probably buy it.
Wonder how much of it will be stuff from the adventures already released
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  08:33:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how many pages it is?

I know they are a much smaller staff now, but i tried my hand at writing a sourcebook in my spare time (probably about 4 hours a day) and i managed 192 pages in 6 months (and hopefully the quality wasnt too bad).

After the 5e rules were released (i can't remember how long ago, probably nearly a year now) i havent seen anything else come out of WoTC for DnD (the contracted adventure paths dont count because someone else wrote them, and the little snippets on the website couldnt have taken more than a few hours each to produce) so what exactly have they been doing if this is also farmed out to someone else. They have 8 hours a day, 330 days of the year (give or take a few days) to produce rules and lore and other things to sell.

If i recall correctly there are 6 people on the team (or were, that might be less now), that means they get nearly 16000 hours in a year. Should be more than enough time for a few sourcebooks. If i had that much time on my hands i'd have written two campaign settings by now (one for 1300's and one for 1400s).

Not that it matters, its still 1480+ and so holds no interest for me. Why pay for corned beef when George, Eric, Ed, and others will provide fillet steak for free.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  11:51:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sagechan
I hope the Deity section is fairly comprehensive for the core Faerunian pantheon as well, with at least moderate info on each God and additional info on the ones that have returned. Crunch wise I think backgrounds could have some interesting things in it as well. FR spells would be nice too.

I would be very happy to see racial deities alongside the core ones, especially FR-specific racial deities like Eilistraee and Vhaeraun. They have already been confirmed to be alive, some lore on what they are up to would be cool (more so given that all we know about them is that they're back and their followers are aware, while the other returned gods have got a book or a substantial part of it dedicated to them).

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  14:37:40  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cautiously optimistic for this. I just hope it doesn't turn into a mostly advertising-**** (right, Aussie mods, this four-letter word is uber-nasty for them, sorry lol) for the Sword Coast Legends video game (since that's starting to look, from my view, like an over-hyped, likely to under-deliver game).

Stuff I'm liking the sound/look of:

-updated info on the Realms (deities, geography, people, places...even if its mostly limited to the Sword Coast)
-some crunchy character options (though the Purple Dragon Knight belongs in a Cormyr-centric book, not here)

Stuff I'm not liking the sound/look of:

-Lack of FR logo (yes, I know, WotC is about making it all just D&D to avoid 'only for fans of FR' and 'only for fans of GH' ,etc)
-Seeming umbilicus to a video game (if I see a tips & tricks for SCL gameplay in this...)

I dunno if this will be enough to actually get me playing in the Realms again (using 5e in Golarion now), but it's a step in the right direction.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 23 Jul 2015 14:38:41
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  15:50:13  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed, and hope for the best...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  20:30:17  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it helps anyone's opinion of the matter, I worked on a chunk of this book. What I wrote was setting material--both general Realms stuff and specific-to-locations stuff across the Sword Coast and the North.

More than that, I can't share for NDA reasons, but rest assured that this is not just a crunchy supplement.

I really can't wait to see how the book turned out.
Go to Top of Page

sagechan
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  20:35:26  Show Profile Send sagechan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I would be very happy to see racial deities alongside the core ones, especially FR-specific racial deities like Eilistraee and Vhaeraun. They have already been confirmed to be alive, some lore on what they are up to would be cool (more so given that all we know about them is that they're back and their followers are aware, while the other returned gods have got a book or a substantial part of it dedicated to them).

I would agree that its something I'd like to see, if there is some crossover into Rage of Demons as an underdark campaign maybe we will.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  20:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

If it helps anyone's opinion of the matter, I worked on a chunk of this book. What I wrote was setting material--both general Realms stuff and specific-to-locations stuff across the Sword Coast and the North.

More than that, I can't share for NDA reasons, but rest assured that this is not just a crunchy supplement.

Well, that just bumped my hopes from "buy it when it hits stores" to "pre-order." Thank you for that information.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  20:55:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

This is a very encouraging thing to hear, thanks for sharing

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  21:00:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sagechan

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I would agree that its something I'd like to see, if there is some crossover into Rage of Demons as an underdark campaign maybe we will.

Well, the blurb says that it has tie-ins with Rage of Demons, and Eilistraee and Vhaeraun being back is quite huge for the drow. The book also aims to offer some FR-specific character backgrounds and options, and the twins fit perfectly for FR drow. I'd say that there's room for them in the book (especially since both faiths are active near the Sword Coast area. maybe we'll also get updates on the Promenade, but perhaps that's asking too much).

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Jul 2015 21:01:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000