Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 How to play Nwn Multiplayer!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  20:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
*Ahem*

Mayhaps I could get some attention?

Thank you.

I am wondering about how to play the NwN module with a friend, to clarify: playing NwN multiplayer just like playing singleplayer, only with a friend instead of a henchmen?

This is posibble right? If yes, how?

Thank you for your attention.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 07 Mar 2004 20:14:20

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  03:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I usually create a game. You go to multiplayer...then create new lan game....then you select whichever spot you want to play at... then the server options screen will appear...then you start up the server. Your friends can join either by giving them your IP address or looking for the game you created in the gaming room. You can access the gaming room by going to join/internet game at the multiplayer options screen. If you want to use your own module,your friend has to download it from you then viola!

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  09:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  00:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A small column of advice..... (such as those long and boring ones in our newspaper....)

LAN games only work for those in your area. LAN stands for Local Area Network. Should you wish to play with someone farther away, you would need to open an Internet game.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  03:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Shadowlord, LAN games only work if you have a LAN set up within your house. Meaning that you have to have 2 or more computers networked together to form a LAN. If you play a LAN game, only those directly connected to the LAN would be able to play.
If you want to play with anyone not directly connected to your LAN,(IE - not in your house) you would have to use the Internet game option.

I'm pretty sure this is what you meant I'm just clarifying it for you.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  18:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you!

I'm playing with a friend since I hate henchmens.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  19:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About NwN, I can't upgrade my version and therefor I'm unable to play over the internet.
The auto-upgrade doesn't work.
What to do?
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  22:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you could check out nwn.bioware.com , and downlaod it directly from there.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  08:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ezindir the dark

Yes, thank you!

I'm playing with a friend since I hate henchmens.

Of course, you have to stay with the friend. I've taken to running my character solo, so as to get the most XP -- you get some deducted if you have even summoned creatures.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  09:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the fact that joinable NPCs' AI is usually, shall we say, less-than-good.

Even the straight fighters, brute-force ones can behave strangely. I recall a time in the final battle in HotU. Valen, despite my numerous attempts at clicking on "Attack Nearest", just... stands there. And let Big M beat on him.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  14:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But I did't know that henchmens stole XP?

Or mayhaps I misunderstood you Bookwyrm?

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  16:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They don't "steal" it, exactly. It's not like when an NPC kills off an enemy. It's just that the more characters you have -- henchmen, summoned creatures, and familiars -- the less XP you get. It's not much, more like one point for weak enemies, but when my wizard can pick them off with a crossbow bolt each, much less a spell, I'll drop the henchman and the familiar from my party and go until I actually need backup.

At the moment, I'm at level 9 towards the end of Chapter One. I've had to use more saved games than I wanted in the part I'm at, but so far I'm doing okay. (Mage armor + cat's grace + extended ethereal visage + extended haste + extended improved invisibility works wonders for a wizard. )

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2004 :  02:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Actually Shadowlord, LAN games only work if you have a LAN set up within your house. Meaning that you have to have 2 or more computers networked together to form a LAN. If you play a LAN game, only those directly connected to the LAN would be able to play.
If you want to play with anyone not directly connected to your LAN,(IE - not in your house) you would have to use the Internet game option.

I'm pretty sure this is what you meant I'm just clarifying it for you.

Yes, Yasraena, that's exactly what I meant. I posted this late at night, however, and as such, I wasn't thinking properly, and wasn't able to clarify on my own....

As for characters, I tend to reach a high level, then dump my henchmen as needed. The only issue is that when you dump a henchman, and hire another, the first henchman becomes unavailable 'till the next chapter...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  06:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's odd. I was dumping and rejoining left and right. No problems with any of them. Perhaps this just doesn't happen in Chapter 1?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  06:48:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, if I remember correctly, Chapter 1 of NWN (and possibly Chapter 2...it's been a while) are the only parts of the game were the 'dumping and rejoining' of henchman are not a problem. After that, it becomes a little more complicated...

Yasraena said -
quote:

The LAN computers at your workplace are also another option for great multiplayer NWN gaming...or at least that's what I've heard...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  20:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
The LAN computers at your workplace are also another option for great multiplayer NWN gaming...or at least that's what I've heard...

Ooooh, boy. Sage you are treading on thin ice with that one, bud.
Yeah, most corp offices are great for that, but unless you know the network admin or are friends with him/her, the bandwidth most games take up will be a dead giveaway that you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. And that could be a very bad thing for some.
Luckily, since I am the network admin at my place of employment (or at least the Assistant Admin) I don't really have to worry about that. Mwuahahahahaha!!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  23:44:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Yasraena, I am the network admin...since I'm solely responsible for scanning and debugging every one else's programs, I always need complete access to everyone else's computers. Besides, we only use the network when there is little (hardly ever) work to do...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000