Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 r.i.p terry pratchett
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  21:59:50  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So sad.hopefully he's up there writing a joint trilogy with Robert Jordan and tolkein.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  23:08:04  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow did this just happen?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  23:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it was just today. I first saw it on the BBC news.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  23:45:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never read any of his books but it's still sad to lose such a big name and influence for the genre.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  23:52:49  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sir Pratchett was suffering with advanced Alzheimers Disease. He hated having it, could no longer write, type or dress himself and found it difficult to support the causes he supported. He wanted to take his own life so in many ways it's probably for the best that he died naturally, surrounded by his family.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  23:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ook :-(
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  14:55:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sad day. I met Sir Terry only once, but I know Ed has lost a friend. We have all lost a great writer.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  22:48:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read any of his stuff, but it's always sad when an author dies. I was upset when I learned Robert Jordan died.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2015 :  01:26:35  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read a couple of his Discworld books. He was a genuinely humorous and insightful soul. 2015 is not shaping up to be a good year.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2015 :  02:27:51  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't be sad about this. I was very sad when I learned he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. He hated having it, and I know from personal experience dealing with AD patients how awful and terrible Alzheimer's Disease becomes - not just for the patient, but also for their families and friends.

He was a wonderful author and just a terrific guy. Death can also be a release, and I wish him and his family peace. He will be missed, but I'm glad he's not having to suffer with AD any longer.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2015 :  05:40:24  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Good Omens" with Pratchet and Neil Gaiman is a fun read too.

Something positive about his passing is that we get to learn a little more about Pratchet, who influenced him and who his contemporaries were.

Thus my wish list of books to buy just got larger, and includes authors I knew nothing about until now, including Alan Coren and E. Cobham Brewer.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2015 :  12:39:52  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are very sad news to know, that Terry Pratchett passed away, doubly so, as I now discovered he was friends with Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2015 :  00:17:23  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I was never able to get into his novels, one phrase has always stuck with me from my attempt to read his books, and that is Carpe Jugulum, words to live by.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000