Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The City of Ravens (spoilers?)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ezekil
Acolyte

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  12:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Ezekil's Homepage Send Ezekil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just read the book and... well Jack is... my favourite char ever... allmost. So, I just have to ask some questions now:

1: When (timeline) did all this happen in Raven's Bluff?

2: Who made the Mythal? References to tsr/wotc scources? History wanted!

3: What changes came to Raven's Bluff after the Mythal was "consumed"?

4: What changes came to Jack after this happened? (speculations welcome)

5: Anyone have a writeup of Jack? Suggestions on stats/lvl/class etc.?

6: Got a writeup/suggestion on the Warlord?

-Thanks.

Ezekil
"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance"

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  02:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always seen Jack as a thief/sorcerer, due to the fact that he is, well, a thief, and that he could cast spells from innate ability, not through training. Although because his magic came from the quasi-mythal, he may have a unique template(mythal-channeler or some such), not a standard class.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  22:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoyable, this is a well written story that feels comfortable, the characters are likable, the plot is fun, the bad guys are interesting, and the story unfolds at a pleasant pace. I loved the complicated plots, Jack Ravenswild is a wonderful character who juggles more plots at one time than seems humanly possible. It is well worth the money!
OVERALL SCORE: (A)
READABILITY: (A), PLOT: (B+), CHARATERS: (A), DIALOGUE: (B), SETTING: (A+), ACTION/COMBAT: (B+), MONSTERS/ANTAGONISTS: (A), ROMANCE: (B+), SEX: (Light), AGE LEVEL: (G/PG)

"You had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
-Winston Churchill- (to Neville Chamberlain)

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare, "As You Like It", Act 5 scene 1

He who will not reason is a bigot. He who cannot is a fool. and he who dares not is a slave.
-Sir William Drummond-

Edited by - Magic Matt on 24 Mar 2004 14:31:54
Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  13:07:07  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
concerning jacks experiencelevel!

i dare say that itīs hard to create a character wuch as jack in a fr roleplaysetting. his innate magicas makes him a powerful if somewhat chaotic character.

but i agree indeet that the book is very good written, and the storytelling fascinating.

i read all 3 of the cities books and liked everyone very much.
i wonder how long it takes that more of "the cities" is being published.

even fantasy has itīs limits
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  02:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. The timeline of the story is 1372, 1 year after the Year of the Unstrung Harp. It's mentioned that Durezil died during the year of the Unstrung Harp, 1 year before Jack's investigation.

My review:

Plot 8.5/10
I loved how all the different branches of the plot happened to be connected and Richard Baker did that without ever making inconsistencies and the transition from event to event was mostly fluid. The ending was rushed, I've gotta admit and the conclusion is seriously rather unclear. We can safely make an assumption that Jack was chosen by Mystra to watch over the Mythal. But other than that we can say no more.

Characters & Development 10/10
Personally Jack's character has got to be one of the best I've seen in an FR novel. He's intelligent as a thief but yet there are people who can overcome his intelligence. No matter, he just keeps finding away to beat that person. He's companions Anders and Tharzon were great additions as well and I loved their personalities.

I had no complains about most of all the other characters. Myrkssa Jelan was a villain who's plan to take over Raven's Bluff was good and original--unlike most cliche villains.

Originality 8.5/10
The book is a basic roguish book in which the rogue main character just gets caught in his own plan only to discover a bigger plot. On the brightside, there are many plots in the story and at least one is very original (Game of Masks) and the fact that the intertwine is rather original as well. Jack is rather cliche despite the fact that he's a favourite of mine. And ass I've said, the villain possesses an original plan.

Writing Style 8/10
The book could have done well with a map because IMO, Richard Baker wasted a few good pages describing the roads Jack took to a certain place. And believe me Jack walks around Raven's Bluff alot. Two pages could have filled in on the rushed ending. Negatives aside, The dialogue he gave to Jack, Anders and most of the characters is humorous.

Setting and Flavour 4.5/5
Raven's Bluff, Sarbreen and whatever was under it(big spoilers if I told you) was well described (although as I've said, the describing of Jack's travels around Raven's Bluff was page taking). The Game of Masks was a good flavour to the story and I really liked it. I would love to know more about the Game of Masks. There were minor bad things like how Richard Baker didn't mention what was the guardian demon was in House Kuldath.

X-Factor 4/5
Raven's Bluff has become one of my favourite settings because of this book. The Game of Masks deserves recognition. And Richard Baker is 100% one of the best realms authors around (although this book wasn't that well written compared to Condemnation and perhaps Forsaken House).

Overall: 43.5/50
Beating out Forsaken House by half. Despite that fact, I still think Forsaken House was a little better in many other ways.

Time for my questions
1. Anyone have a map of Raven's Bluff's layout?
2. Like Ezekil said, what happens to Raven's Bluff and Jack after this.
3. I would love to know details about the Game of Masks (history, where it's played, so on)

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  08:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

Time for my questions
3. I would love to know details about the Game of Masks (history, where it's played, so on)

Well met

Thank ye for the detailed review, Paec_djinn

1. There are maps of Raven's Bluff in The City of Ravens Bluff and A Players Guide to the Living City Campaign. I believe they are both poster maps.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  13:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that it's a very well written and entertaining read. The cast of characters are fleshed out nicely and are interesting.
I've knocked up some stats for Jack and will post them if anyone's interested.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  15:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

Time for my questions

Well met

Thank ye for the detailed review, Paec_djinn

1. There are maps of Raven's Bluff in The City of Ravens Bluff and A Players Guide to the Living City Campaign. I believe they are both poster maps.

I don't buy game products and seldom find them. (not to mention that the products are quite old) I was looking more of an online one.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  18:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met,

I'd just like to know if this Players Guide to the living city was downloadable.
I know that WoTC sometimes let us download old items, so maybe...

Thanks.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  18:48:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The City of Ravens Bluff can be downloaded for free from Wizards page. The Players guide might be available at RPGNow or Paizo for a few dollars.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  19:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Jorkens.
Such an old item is still on sale ?
Let's hunt it on the web...

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  19:51:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Thanks a lot Jorkens.
Such an old item is still on sale ?
Let's hunt it on the web...

I am talking about the products in pdf form I should add. Most of the old TSR products can be found in that form at those sites. Finding the originals are another story.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  20:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was talking about pdf products too !

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  18:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a great book. A big surprise! Honestly, I likely wouldn't have bought this book as it featured a city I've never gamed in, a character named "Jack", and was from a series called "Cities". But luckily enough for me, a friend came across it first and told me it was great so I read it and sure enough it was.

I've yet to hear from someone who didn't love the book, and din't love the character Jack Ravenwild. If so many people like this story, why aren't there more coming out? Why was there just this one novel?

Bring us more Jack Ravenwild!

Watch my gorgeous wife sing at:
www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  16:17:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started this book. Very enjoyable so far. Good characters.
Jack is excellent and I also enjoyed the Red Wizardess as well as the drunken Sage who knows everthing about every brandy, wine, ale, etc.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  16:57:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And before anybody asks... no, it's not me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:05:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And before anybody asks... no, it's not me.

Hmmmmm...was that why I subconsciously capitalized Sage??

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  14:44:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I read, the more I like Jack. I am also curious as to his method of using magic, it looks a bit different.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  14:17:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jack seems capable of some interesting magic. I did not know that you could magicly erase part of a glyph or ward and not set either it or any alarms off. Aslo I almost felt bad for the Imphegor (sp?) when he managed to catch his familiar, only to have it and his hand crushed by a passing wagon.

ed:sp

Edited by - The Red Walker on 24 Sep 2008 16:15:00
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  16:16:37  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved Jack's reaction to Imphegor appearing just when he is being roughed up by the Knights of the Hawk and believes knight Marcus was the dastard who stole his book and killed his familiar!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  16:37:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice ending, this is my favorite Rich Baker novel. It's not everyday a street rat is given a task by Mystra

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000