Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Once (More) Around the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  20:30:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Over in Ed's thread it was mentioned of Brian Thomsen's passing this weekend.

I thought I'd share some praise for one of his (too) few novels for the Realms, Once Around the Realms. It focused on Volo's being tricked into traveling around Faerūn, in the vein of Around the World in 80 Days.

This was not a novel of serious Realmslore, but of a light hearted look at the world itself, taking the reader to most of the familiar places, like Cormyr and Waterdeep, and the less-familiar, like Maztica and Kara-tur.

Not everyone liked the book (in fact, I believe I'm in a minority), mainly because of Brian's 'borrowing' of pop-culture TV characters to round out the supporting cast of the novel. But I enjoyed it immensely and consider to be one of my favorites. No one else took the challenge of showing off the entire world in a single story and, even with the cheesy nature, it still rang true with the various lands and, most importantly, the hero of Volothamp Geddarm.

Mr. Thomsen was an editor for most of his career and helped a lot of our favorite storytellers get their books to print with their style and 'voice' intact. Which is a feat unto itself.

As Ed saith, "I will raise a book to Brian Thomsen." And so shall I.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  22:00:29  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Over in Ed's thread it was mentioned of Brian Thomsen's passing this weekend.

I thought I'd share some praise for one of his (too) few novels for the Realms, Once Around the Realms. It focused on Volo's being tricked into traveling around Faerūn, in the vein of Around the World in 80 Days.

This was not a novel of serious Realmslore, but of a light hearted look at the world itself, taking the reader to most of the familiar places, like Cormyr and Waterdeep, and the less-familiar, like Maztica and Kara-tur.

Not everyone liked the book (in fact, I believe I'm in a minority), mainly because of Brian's 'borrowing' of pop-culture TV characters to round out the supporting cast of the novel. But I enjoyed it immensely and consider to be one of my favorites. No one else took the challenge of showing off the entire world in a single story and, even with the cheesy nature, it still rang true with the various lands and, most importantly, the hero of Volothamp Geddarm.

Mr. Thomsen was an editor for most of his career and helped a lot of our favorite storytellers get their books to print with their style and 'voice' intact. Which is a feat unto itself.

As Ed saith, "I will raise a book to Brian Thomsen." And so shall I.

Aye! I second that, I liked it as well and Brian will be missed.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2008 :  22:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the honor to meet Brian this last GenCon--the first and last time I'll get to laugh so much at that man's sense of humor or benefit from such a vast sea of learning he kept locked inside his head, and freely dispensed to us wide-eyed writers. A loss indeed.

He'll not be forgotten.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  01:55:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

'Twas a very fun FR take on one of my favorite Verne novels.

To Brian, whose still exploring the Realms in his own way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  08:58:49  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news ... may rest in peace..!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 25 Sep 2008 09:00:10
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2008 :  11:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sad time in the world of Fantasy Fiction indeed. I enjoyed the Volo novel and even the follow up, Mage in the Iron Mask.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000