Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2015)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  12:24:32  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello THO,

Can you ask Ed if he ever sees the city of Myth Iliyannar, ever coming back into the Realms out of its suspended pocket plane on the edge Faerie? If so what could be the main trigger to bring it back since many of the Elves of Evermeet have already returned to the mainland and if I remember right, that was one of the conditions for them to come out of stasis.

Edited by - Bruce Donohue on 01 Aug 2015 12:26:57
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  13:26:25  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message
um... I'm having a déjà vu but: '@Bruce: I think what you are asking about is fanon created by Snowblood.'

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  19:05:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
It is indeed a site from Snowblood's work.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  10:16:00  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
So none of it has in fact basis?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  12:22:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

So none of it has in fact basis?

That material is not from published realmslore. It's fanlore. Very good fanlore IMO.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  04:08:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I found this post floating in the ethers:

quote:
Originally posted by mikie

Well met! I have a question about the elven language. I posted the question in the GENERAL FORUM, who 're-directed' your way.
My question is this: What is the translation of the words-FIRST BOW in the elven language. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  02:17:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Hi Ed/THO, I have a question spurred by some work I'm doing developing a culture for my homebrew Realms...

The term 'kung-fu' today is used to mean Chinese martial arts. However, the original terminology actually referred to anything that required patience and diligence to perfect. Thus, the perfection of one's calligraphy required 'kung-fu.' This term (and some similar terms) could be used from general to specific things.

Now, my question is this: Is there a similar term used in any language in the Realms? I could see both elves and dwarves having such a term given their longer lives and respective diligence to crafting and (at least in the case of elven culture) magic.

In my original thread asking about this BEAST was kind enough to point out that Dwarves Deep cited the term morndin to mean 'height' or 'peak' both literally and figuratively. Any other terms with similar connotations?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Byte Man
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  16:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Byte Man's Homepage Send Byte Man a Private Message
Well met, my friends! I come to the Mighty Ed/THO with a question I hope isn't behind an NDA. It goes as thus...

"As Mystra expired from the blade of Cyric, Her realm exploded around her, hurling Azuth, God of Wizards, straight into Nessus, the very heart of the Nine Hells. Asmodeus took advantage and killed the dying god, stole his divine spark, and rose to become a God himself.

However, years later, in 5th edition, looking at the Deities list, Asmodeus is not listed! What happened in the interim?

All will be well...
Go to Top of Page

Spoon
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  10:53:57  Show Profile Send Spoon a Private Message
In 1480, Danifae Yauntyrr appeared as one of Lolth's Chosen in Menzoberranzan with Lolth's plan to usurp Mystra. Are there any novels in the works regarding this? I don't play D&D, so the campaign guides and the like are of no interest, however, I am a very avid reader of the books. As someone who enjoys reading about the drow immensely, I would buy these books in a heartbeat.

I don't know how the novel process works, but I'm sure one of the War of the Spider Queen authors would be interested in picking this up.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  12:38:16  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
That storyline has already ended with Lolth's defeat. I personally don't think that WotC is willing to pick it up.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  01:17:52  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
To Ed and THO,

Hi and well met. I check in every so often and have asked this question in the past all though I think its been several years since my last asking. Madeiron Sunderstone is a favorite and I was wondering if we might ever see a story centered around him and find out about his past and befriending Piergeiron and becoming his champion. I know in the past Ed has indicated that is in the NDA realm. Just wanted to check and see if anything had changed.

Thanks,

B
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  04:25:46  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Byte Man

Well met, my friends! I come to the Mighty Ed/THO with a question I hope isn't behind an NDA. It goes as thus...

"As Mystra expired from the blade of Cyric, Her realm exploded around her, hurling Azuth, God of Wizards, straight into Nessus, the very heart of the Nine Hells. Asmodeus took advantage and killed the dying god, stole his divine spark, and rose to become a God himself.

However, years later, in 5th edition, looking at the Deities list, Asmodeus is not listed! What happened in the interim?

Erin's "Brimstone Angels" series will show us the anwser.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2015 :  01:44:53  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
Hi, Ed and THO!

I have a question about the Cormyr's nobility and the clergy.

A firstborn noble turned priest would loose his heir apparent status upon taking the vows of priesthood?

Thanks!

Edited by - Hawkfeather on 13 Aug 2015 01:45:41
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  20:06:01  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Hello, oh Creator of the Realms and his faithful Oracle!
They say knowledge is half of the battle. So how much fighting wizards learn about each other's spells?
I mean, e.g. not all spells are as obvious as fireball, if they have visible effect at all, so... a mage may know how strong a spell that struck his mantle is (level), but how often do they craft into mantles ability to tell "it's a Fire, Alteration effect"?
Or, does it happen that a wizard reads Dweomer Divination to take a look at an "interesting" ongoing effect clawing at his defences, and then it's "I'd love to stay and entertain thee a little more, but need to write down what I just have learned, hahaha, bye! <teleport ring activation>"?
That sort of things.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Endelyon
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  15:48:50  Show Profile Send Endelyon a Private Message
Hello. First time on these forums, I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I was hoping that I could ask Ed to answer a question about the "Regenerate" spell. Me and a friend of mine were curious about a few aspects of it. Would the spell be able to regrow missing teeth? Is it a cure for baldness, as well? The spirit of the spell seems to be that missing or destroyed body parts spontaneously regrow, so it seems to stand that if your teeth all got knocked out in a fight the spell would grow them back. What we are curious about is whether or not it acts as a remedy for ailments brought on by normal wear and tear, and aging? Arthritic bones, teeth lost to decay, etc.

I know the question seems a bit silly, but it's something we're legitimately curious about. Thank you for your time!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  18:09:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
That may be more of a rules question, which Ed doesn't touch as much... Though he can certainly discuss curatives in the Realms.

For my money, regenerate is like kinda reverting to the most recent save point in a video game -- back where you were recently, but not back where you were when you first started playing the game. Though, obviously, regenerate is only for physical damage and such, and wouldn't roll back levels or consumables, unlike going back to the previous save point.

Go to Top of Page

Hoihe
Acolyte

Hungary
8 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  18:17:57  Show Profile Send Hoihe a Private Message
Ahoy sages!

Is it possible for a half-elf to learn Reverie in 1350's Faerun? Would being a Divine Seeker of Sehanine Moonbow help in such? How about being in a relationship with a moon elf? (Not yet bonded).

I remember hearing about it being possible to learn, just that it's difficult and takes dedication at first, and being exhausted/injured is much more likely to force a sleep than with pure elves.

Also! Is there anything a half-elf can do to ensure his offspring is a full-blooded elf?

Edited by - Hoihe on 22 Aug 2015 18:20:08
Go to Top of Page

Endelyon
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  15:49:43  Show Profile Send Endelyon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That may be more of a rules question, which Ed doesn't touch as much... Though he can certainly discuss curatives in the Realms.

For my money, regenerate is like kinda reverting to the most recent save point in a video game -- back where you were recently, but not back where you were when you first started playing the game. Though, obviously, regenerate is only for physical damage and such, and wouldn't roll back levels or consumables, unlike going back to the previous save point.

Thank you for your reply! I didn't expect an answer so promptly for such a relatively minor question. This satisfies my curiosity quite well, and I like the idea too that Regenerate is not completely omnipotent. It makes better sense to me that permanent injuries are actually possible.

Really appreciate the answer!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  16:54:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Endelyon

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Thank you for your reply! I didn't expect an answer so promptly for such a relatively minor question. This satisfies my curiosity quite well, and I like the idea too that Regenerate is not completely omnipotent. It makes better sense to me that permanent injuries are actually possible.

Really appreciate the answer!

Not a problem; glad you like the answer.

Keep in mind, though, that that's not any kind of official answer, nor is it an answer on behalf of anyone other than myself... It's just another person saying how they'd handle it.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2015 :  01:51:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkfeather

Hi, Ed and THO!

I have a question about the Cormyr's nobility and the clergy.

A firstborn noble turned priest would loose his heir apparent status upon taking the vows of priesthood?

Thanks!

Something tells me this would depend on the faith in question, but I'm just guessing. Maybe when in Cormyr's history, too.

I too would like to know the answer.

And I've a question of my own: when livestock are castrated in Cormyr, what's the name given to the animal to differentiate it from the non-castrated?

And does the name depend on the breed? (Rothe vs. Thimdrors, for example.)

Thank you Ed and THO, as always.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  14:03:52  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message

A question for Ed, or anyone else who may know.
Which, if any, Human cultures still have a problematic relationship with Elves due to the 'lesser species' hunting events held by varioues Elven realms in ancient times?

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  16:37:18  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

Which, if any, Human cultures still have a problematic relationship with Elves due to the 'lesser species' hunting events held by varioues Elven realms in ancient times?

I'm gonna but in and say Chondathans (with the exception of Cormyr and the Dales) they don't really like elves. And they appear to have had trouble with them since before all the troubles between Jhaamdath and Nikerymath started (the soon to be corrupted dark elves were prominent in the region there, that could explain a lot).

Also the Mulan from Mulhorand and Unther really have it for the LeShay (not elves but close enough), since it was the LeShay that helped the Imaskari develop the magic that allowed them to abduct them and than seal them away from their gods.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  17:15:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Sembians and elves don't get along, but that's more a case of Sembia saying "hey, we want to clearcut these forests!" and the elves having a bit of an objection to that.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  17:44:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Calimshan, and all its successor/splinter states (current an fallen). Amn and Tethyr have managed to some-what repair the bad feelings from 'the early days', but Calimshan is probably still despised by Elves.

Think about it - In the Lands of Intrigue, orcs, for the most part, were treated fairly well, and many settlements in those lands have large half-orc populations which are treated nearly as equals (on a case-by-case basis). Elves, on the other hand, were hunted like animals.

Bad feelings? I would certainly imagine so.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Byte Man
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  18:22:05  Show Profile  Visit Byte Man's Homepage Send Byte Man a Private Message
quote:

I also shall chime in with the obvious answer... Hillsgar has a xenophobic relationship with all demihumans, elves included. This is due to Hillsfar's Great Law of Humanity.

All will be well...
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  18:50:32  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message

Thanks for the answers, but except for Chondath, I'm pretty sure that the other cases of ill-will were not engendered by Elven leisure habits.
I think it was in Elminster; Making of a Mage, that Ed mentioned that there were Elves who used to hunt humans (and presumably other non-Elves) for sport in pre-Netheril times.
I'm guessing it was a type of defensive monster hunts, that in time became a decadent cultural habit and were eventually abolished.

...Come to think of it (even though that was in the Works of Bob Salvatore) that could be the origins of Dark-Elf ritualistic hunting expeditions against surface Elves.
After all, Dark Elves make a point of naming other Elves N'Tel'Quessir ("not of the People" i.e. non-Elves), so I guess taking an ancient hunting ritual and perpetrating it on surface Elves could serve as an ideological statement as well as continuting the never ending war.

Anyway, I was interested in knowing if there are any Human cultures that remember that particular habit and have a negative view of Elves because of it.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  18:51:22  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Think about it - In the Lands of Intrigue, orcs, for the most part, were treated fairly well, and many settlements in those lands have large half-orc populations which are treated nearly as equals (on a case-by-case basis).

Orcs were orcs, until the "Year of Going too Far" (Lands of Intrigue, book 1, page 32), then there weren't enough orcs left south of the Cloud Peaks to be represented in the region demographic figures.

Edited by - Demzer on 27 Aug 2015 18:52:21
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  19:21:38  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message
quote:

I think it was in Elminster; Making of a Mage, that Ed mentioned that there were Elves who used to hunt humans (and presumably other non-Elves) for sport in pre-Netheril times.

"Swordplay" the first novel in the Netheril trilogy mentions that the Elves hunted humans for sport so as to "welcome them in their emergence as a civilized people".

I didn't get it either. But that was how one elf explained it. I don't remember much about those novels but they may have some answers to your question.

Edited by - eeorey on 27 Aug 2015 19:22:21
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  21:24:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
To quote Ed Greenwood in The Annotated Elminster (in the 'annotations' part), "Elves are monsters!"

(of course, I am quoting him out-of-context, because he was talking to a RW individual at the time).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2015 :  21:50:18  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
I read other FR books about elves before reading Elminster in Myth Drannor, so I admit their behavior ahocked me. I knew elves could be arrogant, and there were certain individuals I wanted to smack, but in that particular novel, I didn't like most of the elven characters, which is rare for me.

Ed also said in the Annotations that he wanted to show elves behaving "as bad as humans". Being long lived, elves hold on to grudges and fueds longer. As a race, elves aren't "monsters" in the same way other races are by nature "monsters", but there can be individuals--or whole groups--who can be "monstrous", and unfortunately have consequences for the whole race, leading to hatred between elves and other races. I can think of real world issues that are similar, but that would be opening up another can of worms which wouldn't be appropriate here.

In a weird, abstract way, I think the "connection" elves have to one another is one reason why the actions of individuals (or Houses or other groups), usually end up affecting so many other elves. I could be completely off here, but like I said, it would be in a weird, abstract way.

Anyway, this probably belongs in another thread, so I will leave it at that.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000