Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2015)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  15:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Just want to echo the good wishes from everyone here to Ed and his lady.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2401 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  01:44:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Best wishes...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  04:33:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Plenty for me to catch up on in this scroll. Let the recompilation, re... commence.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  10:43:54  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
Very best wishes & positive vibes for Ed & his family.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  20:28:37  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
Prayers and best wishes for you and your family, Ed.

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 02 Jun 2015 20:29:30
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2015 :  07:04:32  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Thanks Ed for the recent information about "banks" in Waterdeep. Best wishes of course, and good vibes.

Marco
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2015 :  12:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message
I don't know if Ed is the creator of Evereska and the Greycloak Hills, but I believe he wrote a Volo's article in a Dragon issue where it was stated that the Elves in the Greycloak Hills live inside tombs. This begs the question - who is entombed, why would nature-loving Elves live inside dank tombs?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2015 :  17:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yes Ed is the creator of Evereska and the Greycloak Hills, because a photocopy of his taped-together pencil maps was displayed at his roast at GenCon years back, and I stared at them for about ten minutes, and remembering seeing both of those features.
However, re. the tombs, I haven't the faintest. Hope Ed surfaces with new lore replies soon.

BB
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  01:05:15  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
I haven't read the article, but from my understanding, the elves of Evereska & the Greycloak hills patrolled the tombs, to protect them from adventurers robbers, rather than lived in them.

Living in the tombs would seem a bit too morbid, and I don't think the elves are into the goth/emo scene.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2401 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  08:31:47  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

but I believe he wrote a Volo's article in a Dragon issue where it was stated that the Elves in the Greycloak Hills live inside tombs. This begs the question -

As it often happens, the question contains its own answer: "Volo's article".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2015 :  23:47:34  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

but I believe he wrote a Volo's article in a Dragon issue where it was stated that the Elves in the Greycloak Hills live inside tombs. This begs the question -

As it often happens, the question contains its own answer: "Volo's article".


As is often the rule when dealing with Volo or any of his works, he often gets details wrong, and then Elminster himself must fix the mistakes before the wrong secrets get out (as quoted by the good Sage of Shadowdale himself in Volo's Guide to the North: "I don't know how he talks me into these things. Look ye - another tome of hilarious misinformation about part of the Realms, from the irrepressible, nay, pompous and pretentious Volo.")

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  00:51:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I don't know if Ed is the creator of Evereska and the Greycloak Hills, but I believe he wrote a Volo's article in a Dragon issue where it was stated that the Elves in the Greycloak Hills live inside tombs. This begs the question - who is entombed, why would nature-loving Elves live inside dank tombs?



He is the creator of all those places and yes, there is further lore on the Greycloak Hills, which I'll leave to Ed to divulge if he's so minded.

That article (Dragon #267 - Volo's Adventures) notes that the hills were a sacred moon elven burial ground and have become the barracks and training ground for a group of elven warriors who use empty tombs and warrens dug into the hillsides for their lodgings. They live there to protect the hills from "plunderers" but there is more to their presence there.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 16 Jun 2015 00:52:28
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  01:44:10  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message
My wife "the druid", has asked me a very good question, for which I have no good answer. So I turn to you most learned sages.

She asked, where do all these aberrations, and other monsters come from? For example, if an Otyugh spends most of it's life in a refuse pit, how do more otyugh's come to be?

So two part question 1) how are these things created? I'm guessing magical phenomenon and 2) how do these aberrations and other weird creatures manage to propagate and/or procreate?

I guess this is natural for me to be curious since I'm a biologist and I've always been a huge dungeon ecology buff.

My wife "the druid" however is a little strange. She's in the medical field and seems to think of all kinds of strange questions like: "If I'm shape shifted and I hunt and eat a pile of raw meat then shift back to my half-elf form, do I still have a stomach full of raw meat?"

Other questions are even more.....inquisitive....such as....how does such and such poop? What does such and such eat? Etc etc. It's never boring!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  05:15:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

My wife "the druid", has asked me a very good question, for which I have no good answer. So I turn to you most learned sages.

She asked, where do all these aberrations, and other monsters come from? For example, if an Otyugh spends most of it's life in a refuse pit, how do more otyugh's come to be?

So two part question 1) how are these things created? I'm guessing magical phenomenon and 2) how do these aberrations and other weird creatures manage to propagate and/or procreate?

I guess this is natural for me to be curious since I'm a biologist and I've always been a huge dungeon ecology buff.

My wife "the druid" however is a little strange. She's in the medical field and seems to think of all kinds of strange questions like: "If I'm shape shifted and I hunt and eat a pile of raw meat then shift back to my half-elf form, do I still have a stomach full of raw meat?"

Other questions are even more.....inquisitive....such as....how does such and such poop? What does such and such eat? Etc etc. It's never boring!!



Do you have access to the 2E monster books? One of the reasons I'm such a huge fan of monsters in the 2E era is because they got serious write-ups, back then, that specifically addressed things like ecology and reproduction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  10:54:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

My wife "the druid", has asked me a very good question, for which I have no good answer. So I turn to you most learned sages.

She asked, where do all these aberrations, and other monsters come from? For example, if an Otyugh spends most of it's life in a refuse pit, how do more otyugh's come to be?

So two part question 1) how are these things created? I'm guessing magical phenomenon and 2) how do these aberrations and other weird creatures manage to propagate and/or procreate?

I guess this is natural for me to be curious since I'm a biologist and I've always been a huge dungeon ecology buff.

My wife "the druid" however is a little strange. She's in the medical field and seems to think of all kinds of strange questions like: "If I'm shape shifted and I hunt and eat a pile of raw meat then shift back to my half-elf form, do I still have a stomach full of raw meat?"

Other questions are even more.....inquisitive....such as....how does such and such poop? What does such and such eat? Etc etc. It's never boring!!



Do you have access to the 2E monster books? One of the reasons I'm such a huge fan of monsters in the 2E era is because they got serious write-ups, back then, that specifically addressed things like ecology and reproduction.

I'd even recommend some of the mid-to-late 3e period third-party monster books published by companies other than Wizards. Some of these tomes harken back to the days of 2e monster write-ups that really give an in-depth treatment to the critters they detail.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jun 2015 10:55:42
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  07:48:08  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

I haven't read the article, but from my understanding, the elves of Evereska & the Greycloak hills patrolled the tombs, to protect them from adventurers robbers, rather than lived in them.

Living in the tombs would seem a bit too morbid, and I don't think the elves are into the goth/emo scene.



The term is "gothemo".



To Ed, a query:

Two, actually. First, concerning Shaundekul. Any news on his status these days? In my own games I've played him as a patron of Myth Drannor, and as having become more important to adventurers since the spellplague made the Realms more dangerous, but that's all just "headcannon".
I was going to submit an article pitch along those lines, back when that was an option, but procrastinated until it was too late.
Anyway, I'd really love to know what he's up to in the contemporary Realms.

Other question regards Netheril, after the fall of it's great cities. Is the nation of Netheril just broken? Are it's people trying to rebuild? If so, have they rejected Shar and perhaps sought to rebuild in a less dark manner? What of all the Shadar-kai Netherese? Why is the desert returning, and how are the remnant Netherese dealing with that?

I know the whole returned Netheril thing may not have been something you liked, but they were one of my favorite things about the Realms, before the sundering. Right now, I'm playing it as the royal family is dead, the cult of Shar is in disgrace, and missionaries from other faiths are, in small numbers, trying to help the Netherse rebuild a new Netheril out of the rubble of Shade. Most of their magical might is being used to keep the desert at bay, and redirect rivers to help irrigate farm land, and basically they're like a post WW2 European nation, and the other nations are mixed in how they are treating this "New Netheril". So, I've got stuff to work with if you don't have an answer for use on this, but of course I'd prefer to hear what lore you've got in mind for them.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2015 :  23:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77
So two part question 1) how are these things created? I'm guessing magical phenomenon and 2) how do these aberrations and other weird creatures manage to propagate and/or procreate?

Otyughs, it seems, produce a jellylike eggmass and regurgitate it at underground gathering places, where the mass is fertilized by another of their kind and develops into a single new otyugh. See Ed's 'The Ecology of the Gulguthra' in Dragon 96.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2015 :  16:45:00  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'd even recommend some of the mid-to-late 3e period third-party monster books published by companies other than Wizards. Some of these tomes harken back to the days of 2e monster write-ups that really give an in-depth treatment to the critters they detail.



Ah excellent. Now I know the details of courtship and mating rituals of the Otyugh.

Wow, i probably would have just been better off answering "Sorry honey, I don't know!"

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2015 :  22:54:46  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello Dear The Hooded One.

Can you recall or who are the Current High Priest/ess of the various Sledarine Gods in Evereska? Is it possible to name them? I Have a question to Ed about lore pertaining to the Star Mounts, and the Pentad's temple. Can he give any detailed lore and descriptions of the Crystal Towers there.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  00:04:27  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello Hooded One,

Hope all is well with you and you aren't too too busy and taking for time for yourself as well as relaying all our questions to Ed. On my part I just finished reading Spellstorm. Give my kindest regards to Ed in saying, loved it. It was nice to Mirt again and the Murder Mystery-who-done-it feel in Realmsian style.

With Laeral and Alustriel back as of the Herald, will Laeral return to the City of Hope, Rhymanthiin, and will Alustriel return to Silverymoon? What is the status of Rhymanthiin in 5e?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  00:15:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Laeral is open lord (lady?) of Waterdeep right now, so my guess is that she will stay there. I too am curious about Rhymanthiin. Transformed Eilistraee's followers were supposed to go there (as far as I know) and I'm wondering what will happen now that Eilistraee is back (perhaps the city will host a ''new Promenade'', or something).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 21 Jun 2015 00:18:44
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  01:02:51  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Wasn't both Laeral and Alustriel, according to The Herald, thought dead until it was revealed they were in Candlekeep all this time? So not sure if Laeral can return to Waterdeep as open Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  01:19:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
It's in the ''Rise of Tiamat'' book (but I don't own the book, so I don't know whether it explains how it happened or not).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 21 Jun 2015 01:28:43
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  06:01:58  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
MMM I wonder what truly means about Gods sharing the Weave with Mystra, Hooded can you ask him to shed some light on that?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  00:44:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
Sorry for the lengthy radio silence; I've been on work assignment again and it's imperative. Breaking it now to let any Realms scribes within easy reach of Toronto, Ontario, Canada know that...

Ed will be at Bakka Phoenix, Canada's oldest and best sf/fantasy bookstore, THIS Saturday (June 27th) from 3 to 5 pm to sign copies of his two newest hardcover novels, and to chat.

Bakka is at 84 Harbord Street (N side, just W of Spadina Avenue, a long block S of the Spadina subway station at Spadina and Bloor; there's a public parking lot on the E side of Spadina Rd, just N of Bloor ["Ave" changes to "Rd" at Bloor; it's the same street]), and their phone number is 416-963-9993. Ed loves the place and buys lots whenever he visits.

The two novels are, of course, SPELLSTORM, his latest Realms novel (though he'll probably have finished the one after that by the time he shows up at Bakka; come and play the game of seeing what you can get him to spill about that next one!), and THE IRON ASSASSIN, a steampunk novel (Ed prefers to call it "a gaslight romp") that is lighthearted fun and a fast-paced action novel to boot.

Ed is also nursing a large crop of secrets about his forthcoming writing and publishing plans, and if you're lucky, he might share some information about them, too (there'll be a general public reveal somewhere around GenCon time). Folks, this is BIG! Ed will have some of his The Ed Greenwood Group staff with him at the signing...

Ed is a great, fun, friendly guy, worth the chance to chat with. His wife's health troubles (she'll be 80 this October) have forced him to cancel his GenCon attendance and all other overnight conventions, so this event may be your only chance to see him for quite some time! He'll be happy to sign your old books, you don't have to buy new ones! Come out and see The Archmage himself (no, he won't be in costume, but if I know his staff, he will be nattily dressed - - they know they have to look after him, to make sure he shows up in clothes at all!)

So come and shoot the breeze and hear his publishing war stories and ask Realmslore and other questions. The man IS an international fantasy and gaming treasure, after all, as well as my Dungeon Master...

(And no, I'm afraid you won't see me there; I'm still on assignment, far away...)

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1845 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  17:42:51  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
A question for Ed/THO or anyone who happens to know: What are the Elven names of the peaks in the Star Mounts? The human translations are Bard's Hill, Mount Vision, Hunterhorn. There are Elven names for some of them though: Y'tellarien (The Far Star; aka Far Peak), Y'landrothiel (Traveler's Star; aka Mount Journey) and N'landroshien (Darkness in Light; aka Shadowpeak).

Also, is it just me or do the first three mentioned have names that seem 'out of place' compared to the others? Any further lore on these mountains and why they were named after stars?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  18:41:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

A question for Ed/THO or anyone who happens to know: What are the Elven names of the peaks in the Star Mounts? The human translations are Bard's Hill, Mount Vision, Hunterhorn. There are Elven names for some of them though: Y'tellarien (The Far Star; aka Far Peak), Y'landrothiel (Traveler's Star; aka Mount Journey) and N'landroshien (Darkness in Light; aka Shadowpeak).

Also, is it just me or do the first three mentioned have names that seem 'out of place' compared to the others? Any further lore on these mountains and why they were named after stars?



As Eric set out in his "Grandfather Tree" Mintiper's Chapbook piece on the WotC website:

To the Fair Folk of Aryvandaar and the lesser elven realms that succeeded it, seven of the most prominent stars were Y’tellarien (the Far Star), Y’landrothiel (Traveler’s Star), N’landroshien (Darkness in Light), Y’ (the Singing Star), Y’maerythien (Star of Dreams), Y’cervarkiir (Stagcrown Star), and Y’angarothien (Heavenfire). These names are now echoed in the names of the tallest peaks of the Star Mounts, as Far Peak, Mount Journey, Shadowpeak, Bard’s Hill, Mount Vision, Hunterhorn, and Mount Angaroth, respectively.

-- George Krashos


"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1845 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  07:21:38  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Editing again:

What is the full Elven name of the Singing Star? All we have is Y' from the chapbook.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 24 Jun 2015 07:37:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  12:15:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Editing again:

What is the full Elven name of the Singing Star? All we have is Y' from the chapbook.



I perpetuated the error! It's Y'norvaekiir.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 24 Jun 2015 12:15:29
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1845 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  03:13:06  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Actually you didn't GK, even the chapbook lists it simply as Y' Where did you get the proper name from?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000