Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 2E vs 3E rewards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Narv
Acolyte

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  19:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Narv's Homepage Send Narv a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm currently running a campaign in the Cormyr/Sembia area and am in the process of converting "Four from Cormyr" to 3E.

Is it me or are the rewards in this module rather high for what the party have to defeat or am I just being mean

Edited by - Alaundo on 24 Aug 2004 09:40:11

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  20:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering what exactly are you doing? Are you carrying the Xp rewards from the 2nd Edition Version over to the third? If this is the case then I would use the Encounter Rating for the Creatures. This is detailed in the DMG pages 165-169 For 3E, I have no idea about the Page numbers for 3.5E sorry.

For example:
4 Orcs in Second Edition are worth 15 XP each so that is a total of 60 XP in 3E Orcs have a Challenge Rating of 1/2 So the four orcs are EL 2 and between four lv 1 players this is 150 Xp each.

I see what you mean about the rewards being high, however in my experience of 2nd Edition i find there are alot of 'filler' monsters who are just XP to the next level. Removing these should prevent your players from leveling up too quickly! Remember that in 2nd Edition it took lot longer to gain levels, 3E seems to be a hell of alot quicker. As a DM you need to create the balance.

Hope this helps

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  21:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3.5 DMG-pages 36-41. The actual formula is on page 37.

Actually, Elrond, the proper way to do such is to use the Challenge Rating of each monster. The other way works, but there are some discrepancies, I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Narv
Acolyte

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  10:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Narv's Homepage Send Narv a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I should have made myself clearer. I meant the treasure rewards, to me they seem excessive. In one of the adventures alone the party can walk away with well over 75k worth of coin, gems and magic items. I think I'm going to tone it down in my game but just wondered what you guys thought.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  12:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea. Things aren't that bad if you tie them up in magic items of your own design, but be careful of letting the players sell them and get whatever they want when back in town.
Go to Top of Page

Narv
Acolyte

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  14:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Narv's Homepage Send Narv a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they sell stuff they get 40% of the book price so to buy anything they'll have to sell alot of gear and then find someone who is willing to make it or spend the time/exp to make it themselves.

I've decided to keep some of the magic items from the Bibliophile but some of them are a bit too much like the book of exulted deeds etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000