Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 3.5 Gift set
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  15:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Those that have not gotten any of the 3.5 books i would suggest getting the D&D core rulebook gift set.

Go here to get it the cheapest.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=18786&dept=3920&product_id=2223376&path=0%3A3920%3A18786%3A18788%3A18790%3A21196

Edited by - Alaundo on 24 Aug 2004 09:41:14

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  00:34:48  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not bad deal at all.I may have to do that later.Thanks for the link.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  07:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem I need to get this as well there is also a description on WotC of it. Abd yes it is and excelent deal.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  22:48:21  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

No problem I need to get this as well there is also a description on WotC of it. Abd yes it is and excelent deal.

Hardly an excellent deal if you've already spent a small fortune on the 3E books expecting them to be correct
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  15:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you sound like you have a grudge against 3.5 right now. It is truly better and improved. there just making it more realistic. which makes it more fun

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  17:25:07  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

you sound like you have a grudge against 3.5 right now. It is truly better and improved. there just making it more realistic. which makes it more fun

I don't care about 3.5 either way. I'm still using 2nd edition and will continue to do so. I did buy the 3E core rule books and have lifted some of the better rules out of them and into the campaign I run.

I simply can't believe the number of people that couldn't wait to throw money at Hasbro for 3.5 when it appears that all they were doing was correcting mistakes and omissions with 3E which many people had only bought a few months before.

Whatever happened to bothering to get a product right first time?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  17:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

I don't care about 3.5 either way. I'm still using 2nd edition and will continue to do so. I did buy the 3E core rule books and have lifted some of the better rules out of them and into the campaign I run.

I simply can't believe the number of people that couldn't wait to throw money at Hasbro for 3.5 when it appears that all they were doing was correcting mistakes and omissions with 3E which many people had only bought a few months before.

Whatever happened to bothering to get a product right first time?

Totally agree with you there kahonen! D&D3.5 is merely an errata to D&D3 with a couple of tweaks to fool fans into believing theres more to it that that! To say the amount ot playtesting that took place and the numerous updates on the WotC site and Dragon magazine, youd have thought that the rules would be perfect... I also heard of a further errata to the 3.5 rulebooks........doesnt give much confidence!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  21:07:18  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not fair!!!!I'm glad I didn't have the money to buy it yet.
I don't care about owning it if it is a rip off.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  21:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly don't believe 3.5 is a rip-off. 3e represented the greatest change to D&D in quite a while, and changes of that magnitude were going to need revising at some point. I bought the 3.5 rulebooks, and they've been invaluable.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  22:47:56  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I honestly don't believe 3.5 is a rip-off. 3e represented the greatest change to D&D in quite a while, and changes of that magnitude were going to need revising at some point. I bought the 3.5 rulebooks, and they've been invaluable.

Okay I know you know your books,what specific changes have been made that make 3.5e worth the money? Can you give a couple of examples.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  23:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Dont get me wrong, I think some of the changes in 3rd ed are great!! its just the errors that im unhappy about and the release of 3.5 soon after! Such a big thing was made of D&D 3rd Ed.....and its been a long time since 2nd ed. AD&D.....but then to release 3.5 so soon....id hardly opened the cover of my 3rd ed manuals when theres rumor of 3.5...... just seems like a big money spinner and I cant help but feel a bit like WotC are having a laugh with this one.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  23:37:36  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I have is 2e with the exception of two 3e books (not yet received)
so I just want the facts before I spend any money on 3.5e.With the economy falling apart in my area,money isn't something to spend on foolish purchases.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  00:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm..some improvements, eh?

-The DMG was missing some crucial information, such as underwater combat rules, a section on the planes, and some semblance of random wilderness encounter tables.
-Chapters 4 and 5 of the MM are invaluable to anyone who either augments or creates their own monsters. These chapters provide needed information that was not presented before, and unify some information that was presented in varied sources before. Monster creation was a pain, especially when you had to piece together information from Savage Species, MM II, and various Dragon articles.
-Rebalancing and redevelopment has closed quite a few loopholes for powergamers, and has made the game less of a headache.
-Revised formatting in all three rulebooks makes it easier to find important information.
-If you're just starting, the 3.5 rulebooks are a godsend, as they reprint rules and the like from a variety of supplements that were greatly helpful, such as the Epic Level Handbook, Manual of the Planes, the detailed trap creation system from Song and Silence, and other bits.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  00:13:17  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Arivia,once again you have exceeded my expectations with the knowledge you have presented.From what you have given it seems It may have some errors but basically is still well worth buying for anyone interested in D&D.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2003 :  16:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rumor has it that the D&D 3.5 gift set will NOT be released in the UK (thanks Hasbro, you sure know how to sell your products!)

For those who ARE interested in 3.5, im sure there is more than me who purposely did NOT buy the individual core rulebooks as they were waiting for this particular gift set.

Another disgrunted customer! Got....to....resist....the.....urge....to.....slate.....Hasbro! GRRR

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  01:58:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do not feel bad Rad...that doesn't sound right....

The 3.5e Gift Set was only released here in Australia a few weeks ago, much closer to Christmas than I would have liked. And only after the general gaming public had been told that it would not be released here (also after I had purchased the revised core rulebooks separately upon learning of this...)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  07:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm thats slightly good to know I guess Sage.

Although it WAS available to order on Amazon....but was later cancelled and the listing stated the the item was no longer available.... hence my recent rant

Suppose ill have to wait and see

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  12:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I reordered the gift set and it arrived yesterday! A very nice set indeed (presentation-wise), I have yet to go thru the manuals themselves as there were many other exciting products in my Amazon delivery to check though

Anyway, my point being that UK residents CAN get the gift set through Amazon, being as it wont be in the stores.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  12:47:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Well I reordered the gift set and it arrived yesterday! A very nice set indeed (presentation-wise), I have yet to go thru the manuals themselves as there were many other exciting products in my Amazon delivery to check though

Anyway, my point being that UK residents CAN get the gift set through Amazon, being as it wont be in the stores.

I'm glad to hear that Rad. However, you appear to be keeping secrets... I'm talking about 'there were many other exciting products in my Amazon delivery to check though'...Well, don't stay closed mouthed, what were these other products...?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  14:34:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, I remember the threads on ENWorld when 3.5 was announced and then came out....the ranting, screaming, shouting, crying....and that just from some of the game designers.

I wonder how long til 4.0 edition?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  15:01:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'4e D&D'...Hmmm...I would say anywhere between 2005-2007, at least in terms of game designers sitting down and revising the 'revised' rules. By that time I think 3.5e would have run it's course...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  17:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm glad to hear that Rad. However, you appear to be keeping secrets... I'm talking about 'there were many other exciting products in my Amazon delivery to check though'...Well, don't stay closed mouthed, what were these other products...?

hehehe My apologies Sage....ahem, not all were FR\D&D related so i didnt mention them, but as you asked, i got:

Todd Lockwood art book
NWN: Hordes of the Underdark Strategy Guide
Baldurs Gate: DA Strategy guide
Wordcraft (Old English dictionary & thesaurus)
D&D gift set of course
Crouching Tiger... book 1
30 Days of Night graphic novel

So a lot of cool stuff to look thru this weekend Sorry to bore everyone with my geeky excitment

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000