Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Verbal Component in Divine Spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  23:20:01  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello!

I have a question that was never very clear to me. The verbal component of wizard spells are mystical words, esoteric, outside the known languages #8203;#8203;... are arcane. Now, how are the verbal components of clerical spells? It is similar to the arcane spells? Is it different? Are these spells more like prayers? Made in ordinary language?

As the authors portray the casting of divine spells in D&D novels?

I make this point considering all editions of D&D.

Anyone have the answer? As is done in the campaigns that you guys play?

Thanks!

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  23:55:25  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting question with probably no definate answer.

I'd say most divine spells that require a single action to cast involve abbreviated lines and ending words of more complete prayers. The prayers are first accounted to their gods in worship except for the part that completes it, and are not effectively completed untill cast with their verbal components.

Some divine spells (Holy and Unholy Word) are actual words of power because they are part of the proto celestial language of creation, or even the language used in the naming of all things in the multiverse (truenaming).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  04:08:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well back in the old days when there was only one BD&D (I notice, that part of 5th Edition is also being called BD&D) it appeared that divine spells could be written in common or other known language. Any one could read that however a Cleric was the only one that could activate the magic of the scroll. I do not at the moment what AD&D had to say about writing Clerical scrolls. It might be possible though the words could be simple, In the name I Helm I cure you, type of thing. Of course it could not be that simple even if common was used to cure wounds, because of the variations of levels of healing. Even BD&D never offered wording for Clerical spells, just indicated the scrolls could be in common.
It is quite possible that it was intended for the DM to set degree of actual words required to be said or read in a role play.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11734 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  13:18:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It very well may not be a language, but rather phonetics, and when it comes to scrolls, the majority of the scroll may be symbology that one's minds has to somehow interpret, and in interpreting it it triggers the symbols fading from the paper.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11734 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  13:20:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and if it is just phonetics, then the obvious next question is "in what alphabet". The fact that scrolls from one world can be used by clerics in another makes me think its purely symbology, and somehow activating the symbology in the brain frees understanding of the language. Can I explain that scientifically? No, but I also can't cast divine magic.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  13:25:49  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always assumed that divine spells were prayers, and the caster is basically a conduit for the power of a deity. I also assumed that the language of the prayer depends on the god you are praying to.
For instance a good god you pray to in celestial, a dragon god in draconic and so on.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  20:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The incantations of wizardly and priestly spells are composed from human languages, Weave-words (see The Sword Never Sleeps p. 168), and other tongues. See here, and a 31 January post here on priests naming their gods in spells -- we have an example of a Tymoran detect evil in Spellfire.

(Previous incomplete can't-remember-his-own-name-style answer unceremoniously binned.)

Edited by - Faraer on 05 Jun 2014 20:40:59
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  02:53:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Divine spells invariably invoke the name of a deity. I suppose arcane invocations also include spoken names of powerful beings; cryptic symbolisms, titles/ranks, and sobriquets might suffice ("Shadowlord" instead of Mask, "Stormlord" for Talos, "Lord of Lies" for Asmodeus, etc).

AD&D 1E had Alignment Tongues, sort of like vocabularies and contexts which could be spoken in any shared language but which would identify the speaker as being inclined towards a specific alignment. I imagine these might be partially debased and diluted versions of languages spoken on the Outer Planes - places formed from the very building blocks of belief where there might be as many subtleties in their languages between concepts like "Good" or "Chaos" as some human tongues have to finely differentiate things like snow, trees, or desert winds. Although dropped in 2E onwards, this Alignment Tongue notion would serve fairly well to provide divine spellcasting verbal components.

Later D&D presented languages for powerful Outer Planar clades - Celestial/Supernal, Demonic/Abyssal, Devilish/Infernal, etc. Again, these might provide divine spellcasting phrases. Similar, I suppose, to so-called languages like angelic Enochian or demonic Mordant in our own occult traditions.

Druids once had a secret language, Druidic, apparently taught to them through the voices of nature. One might claim this is a primordial or elemental sort of thing, or an intrinsic property of the (super)natural worlds in which druids live, or simply the manner in which their nature deities established contact. Regardless, their secret language must have obviously been involved in much of their verbal spellcasting. Note that druids had no scrolls or written form of their language in earlier game editions.

Oghma was said to have invented writing and the alphabet in Celtic lore, although I'm unsure whether this is also true in the Realms. Perhaps his priests hardly ever use verbal components and instead inscribe their words on sacrificial scraps of parchment for each casting?

Priests of Mystra might manifest spoken spellcasting components as glowing magical glyphs, drawn onto any nearby surface or even sketched into the air. Priests of Talos might shape winds. Priests of Bane might need to have their words carved into steel.

It might be argued that wizard spellbooks, scrolls, and formulae all record elements of (Mystra's?) arcane language which are utterly unspeakable by mere human entities. Little spells like magic missile apparently involve only a simple syllable of this language, whereas teleport does as well but its higher level requirement suggests utterance of the component is more draining ... all the way up to the top-level power word spells which apparently place the most stringest demands on a wizard's talent and discipline. 1E magic-users actually had low-level spells to read, write, and speak in "the language of magic". Old-edition illusionists actually developed their own variant (unreadable to non-illusionists), called Ruathlek in early Realmslore; some mid-3E lore expanded this as only one of many specialized arcane languages in the usual D&D "one-of-everything" fashion of the time.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Jun 2014 03:05:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000