Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Need help with a chosen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  15:47:54  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok so I am running Scourge of the Sword Coast.

One of the characters named Borafarr is a Chosen of Tyr. He has the bounty hunter background, is Lawful Good, and is a cleric.

I am at a loss for a good appropriate chosen ability for him.

Is the ability to detect enchantment overpowered? It could derail the adventure a bit, but I can handle that especially bringing to light to Isteval just how important these characters are.

I also thought about a constant Zone of Truth that is not obvious to those in it. In other words, they won't necessarily try to lie by omission if they think they are not being interrogated EG. overheard in the hall.

DO these seem overpowered for 5th level characters?

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  16:54:35  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the ability to see or sense more then others do is nice and flavourful for a chosen of Tyr. I'd make a chosen able to detect invisible creatures, lies and alignments at will. It manifests as a transformation of the chosens eyeballs into steelgrey orbs that project a cone of vision up to 10 ft per HD/character level.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  18:12:32  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the more subtle Zone of Truth idea myself. Ordinarily I'd say it's a bit overpowered for a 5th-level character but he/she is to be a Chosen of Tyr. I presume you're ready to handle the ramifications of this power in your campaign. I say go for it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  18:38:58  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Arcanamach. It might seem a bit much at first glance but it's a PC and a Chosen.

I think it's more important to balance the PCs' power level relative to each other rather than some arbitrary objective standard. Or to have players who are genuinely cool with some disparity and won't get jealous or weird about it.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  18:50:19  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

I was considering giving the Detect lie and Detect evil, but I think the Zone of Truth is more flavorful. He does not detect the lie so much as he HEARS the truth. A person trying to lie couldn't within the zone of truth (like) power. Normal Zone of Truth you can lie by omission. I envisioned the chosen's ability is to make the person unable to speak anything but the honest truth. If they were even going to make a semantic dodge, they would just be compelled to remain silent.

Example:
1.Gandalf hired an assassin to kill frodo.
2. Assassin kills frodo
3. Question did you kill Frodo?
a. in zone of truth: 'NO' tricks the spell
b. with the chosen's ability, Gandalf would be forced to choke down the NO and remain silent.

This will come into play several times in the remainder of the Scourge module. I am OK with giving the party a flavorful button like this.

SPOILER FOLLOWS:

There is one point near the end of the adventure where a succubus charms the Duke. Normally her polymorphed persona was not that well to do. Now the Duke is putting her up in the most expensive inn in town.

If the PC uses this power: Saying "Neesa how is it you are suddenly staying here?" She would have to indicate the Duke paid her tab. She would NOT have to indicate she charmed the duke... though that would come through on followup.

This has the potential to be an automatic win for the last encounter. I am OK with that.

I made a deal with the PC that his power would not manifest until Level 5. This allowed me to avoid ramifications of skipping whole dungeons earlier in the module when the PC's are investigating what is going on.

Their investigation is done. They know where to go now. They just don't know the DUke is charmed. With this chosen of Tyr in their party they cannot be duped by the Duke now. The Fiends involved also get the message from Tyr

"Oh lying fiends, the big boy on the block is back now. HAve a nice day..."

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  18:58:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I'm with Arcanamach. It might seem a bit much at first glance but it's a PC and a Chosen.

I think it's more important to balance the PCs' power level relative to each other rather than some arbitrary objective standard. Or to have players who are genuinely cool with some disparity and won't get jealous or weird about it.

The other PC's are OK with this. There really is no PC looking to dominate the social pillar. Plus the PC playing the Chosen of Tyr, really only has interest in talking during interrogation.

His Charisma is high but the PC is manifesting it as the "Guy everone wants to talk to, but he really doesn't feel like talking to anyone."

He's the Laconic bounty hunter, Good looking, with a severe presence. He just does not like being friendly.

After interactions NPC's feel like this: "he was kind of a jerk to me. I want to dislike him, but I just can't." Not due to a compulsion but due to his 18 charisma.

Minor spoiler:
He was also the character, though not friendly that offered to pay for
the pregnant couple to enter Daggerdale, and then paid their room for a month. He then blessed the child in the name of Tyr.

I think the Zone of Truth is going to work well. Its an ability instead of detecting the lie, he just CAN'T be lied too when he wills it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  19:33:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I think the ability to see or sense more then others do is nice and flavourful for a chosen of Tyr. I'd make a chosen able to detect invisible creatures, lies and alignments at will. It manifests as a transformation of the chosens eyeballs into steelgrey orbs that project a cone of vision up to 10 ft per HD/character level.

Nice... Though I'd focus on lies and alignment more, and limit the invisible creatures aspect. Perhaps give true seeing once or thrice a day.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  23:35:31  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-This was written by Aziabel, a poster from the WotC forums. Maybe it can be useful:

TEMPLATE: CHOSEN OF TYR
The Chosen of Tyr is the right hand of Tyr on the Material Plane. He is the unerring face of Justice as well as good and lawful Vengeance to those committing atrocities across the realms of Faerūn. Individually and decisively chosen by the Maimed God, the Chosen of Tyr is both very charismatic and resolute in his deliverance of just retribution. He seeks to uphold and spread the word of law to the corners of Faerūn, serving The Even-Handed to his utmost capability; where tyranny and fear take hold, the Chosen of Tyr is soon to appear, quelling those evils. The Chosen of Tyr appears no different from other creatures of their type.

Creating a Chosen of Tyr
“Chose of Tyr” is a template that can be added to any humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the “character”). A Chosen of Tyr uses the character's statistics and special abilities except as noted here. A Chosen of Tyr only has its power at the will of Tyr; should the Maimed God decide to remove Chosen status from the character, he reverts to his original abilities. Normally, there is only one Chosen of Tyr at a time.

Special Qualities: A Chosen of Tyr retains all the special qualities of the character and also gains the following:
Bonus Spells (SP): Constant – Protection from Evil, Mind Blank, Death Ward. At will – Sanctuary, Magic Circle Against Evil, Magic Circle Against Chaos. 3/day – Righteous Might, Hold Person, Holy Smite. 1/day – Last Judgment.
Aura of Menace (Su): A righteous aura surrounds the Chosen of Tyr when it fights or gets angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of the Chosen must make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ of the Chosen's level + its Cha modifier) to resist its effects. Those who fail take a -2 morale penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours. If an affected creature makes a successful hit on the Chosen, that creature can attempt a new saving throw. A creature that makes a successful saving throw against the effect cannot be affected again by the Chosen's aura for 24 hours.
Smite Chaos/Evil (Su): Three times per day, the Chosen may attempt to smite a that is either chaotic, evil, or both with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma modifier to his attack roll. If the attack hits a chaotic or evil target the Chosen deals an additional d10 of damage; if the target is both chaotic and evil, the additional damage increases to 2d10. If the Chosen accidentally smites a creature that is neither chaotic nor evil, the smite has no effect but it is still used up for that day. Smite Chaos/Evil may not be used in conjunction with any other smite ability or spell granted to the character.
Aura of Courage (Su): The Chosen is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Allies within 10 feet of him gain a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions while the Chosen is conscious, but not if he is unconscious or dead.
Damage Reduction (Ex): 10/+1.
Spell Resistance (Ex): 15
Immunities (Ex): A Chosen of Tyr is immune to poison and disease; he's also immune to aging effects and does not age, a Chosen of Tyr is effectively immortal.
Saves: Same as the character.
Abilities: Increase from the character as follows: Strength +4, Wisdom +4, Charisma +4.
Skills: Same as the character.
Feats: Same as the character.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the character.
Organization: Same as the character.
Challenge Rating: Same as the character +4. The Chosen of Tyr approaches the power of some demigods and are not to trifled with by most mortals.
Alignment: Always Lawful Good.
Treasure: Same as the character.
Advancement: Same as the character.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 06 May 2014 23:36:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page