Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  09:38:54  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message
Once again I give a hearty „well met“ from good old Germany!

Dear Hooded One, Dear Ed,

as you might guess after looking who´s writing this, I´ve got a good cart-load full of questions regarding my favourite region you´ve ever created: The Silver Marches, and this time Silverymoon in particular. I know I´m asking for much here, but who should I ask, if not the “Creator” himself (via the ever-charming Hooded One)

We´ve all read our share of realmslore regarding the gem of the north, and all the supplements so far provided us with plenty of information. We know general guidelines about the palace, the shops, the temples and politics.

With the following questions I want to delve into the everyday life of the Silvarean, helping to present this faboulous city in even more detail than I do already.

Ok, after that introduction, the questions:

1. Is Silverymoon divided into several districts (or wards, like in Waterdeep)? If so, what are their names, and in which ways do they have a certain specific “flair” to them?. What is their “feel”?
2. Does the city look very much the same everywhere (marble architecture with dwarven and many elven elements) or does it differ from part of the city to the next. Any half-timbered homes? (We´ve got tons of them here in Germany, so I just had to ask – sorry)
3. Besides the palace and the moonbridge, what are the most “striking” sights a non-silvaeran visitor will remember? What would YOU (Ed) like to see, if you were there? (Which, in a way, you are all the time...)
4. Is there some kind of “Undercity” within Silverymoon? Many Silvaeran are dwarves, so how do they live?
5. Besides Alustriel, her court, and the administration of Silverymoon and the Silver Marches, are there any notable nobles in the city? Noble houses or Merchant Families that you should know? If so, what are their names, and what do they trade in?
6. Is Silverymoon made up mostly of free citizens, meaning the majority being shop-owners, merchants, crafters? What do they wear in everyday life. What is their garb/clothing? What coulours are preferred, and how do the different classes/races differ from one another?
7. There are many temples in Silverymoon. Keeping in mind that the city is located in a northern climate, I suppose that the average/official garb of the clergy differs a bit from the standard clergy found elsewhere in Faerún. Could you give examples of what to expect to see when meeting clerics in Silverymoon?
8. Food and drink. Any local specialties my players (or everyone else who frequents Candlekeep) should not miss?
9. Commerce. What coinage is used in Silverymoon, what coins can be found from other Silver Marches cities/towns? Does the market open everyday? Who sells there? Silvaeran or peasants from outlying farms and communities?
10. How do adventurer types fit in to the everyday life? When staying the winter in this city, can they expect to get offered missions? By whom? Merchant or Noble families? Likely to get missions from the administration itself? Are there any Harper “bases” or “safehouses” known within the city?
11. Silverymoon has to always be alert in case of orc raids, right? So, are there any defense plans / laws? What are the main defenses? What would the population do in case of an orc raid?
12. The University. A City in itself or an integral part of everday life? Can commoners expect to get some questons answered there, or use the libraries? What do students do in their spare time? Jobbing in shops/taverns to pay for their study fees? Can you buy scrolls, potions, spell components there?
13. Are there any good shops you would say are a “must have looked at” for adventurers?

Whew, finished. Just hoping I´m not asking for too much, here. That would be almost a Silverymoon sourcebook in itself. Well, in Volo´s Guide to the North, Silverymoon was featured only very shortly, so I hope to close some gaps here. Thinking of it, I would surely volunteer to do some proof-reading and/or translation, should such a project ever come to see the light. It would be my greatest pleasure to help in fleshing out a part of the Realms that I like more than the rest. (Ok, to be honest I love the Dalelands, Cormyr, Western Heartlands, Waterdeep, and the general Sword Coast North just as much...)

And Ed, since there are many questions, I don´t expect them to be answered too soon. Take your time, please. And many thanks in advance!!

Alex
Go to Top of Page

Rick Day
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  16:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Rick Day's Homepage Send Rick Day a Private Message
I must just say WOW.
Ive been playing in the forgotten realms for 11 years now and I have always been overwhelmed by the level of thought and love put into it, but to see its creator freely answering questions and swapping tales with fans blows me away.
Sir I thank you for the fun and heartfelt moments I have had with my own friends and fellow gamers that you have provided us with your dedication.

And thank you Lady Hooded One for your own insights and taking the time to talk to us and convey your own tales.

Three things we live by: truth within our hearts, strength in our hands and fulfilment on our tongues
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  19:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
I agree with Rick Day. I just wanted to say THANKS once again for all the detail that you have provided. It's shattered some preconceptions about Tantras and the Vast, but in a good way. Both of you have answered my many questions with enthusiasm and I appreicate it. I've been reading your (ED) articles from back in Dragon magazine in the early 80's. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  22:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
[br
Some of these were sort of in Prayer's of the Faithful. :)

I Dont have it

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  23:23:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
I Dont have it

Great sourcebook. :) It lists holy books for Auril, Azuth, Beshaba, Chauntea, Deneir, Eldath, Gond, Helm, Ilmater, Kelemvor, Lathander, Loviatar, Malar, Mask, Mielikki, Milil, Mystra, Oghma, Selune, Shar, Silvanus, Sune, Talos, Torm, Tymora, Tyr, and Umberlee.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  23:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
It's one of the good ESDs, as opposed to the bitmap-text-with-inaccurate-actual-next-underneath ones.

In the 1990s, once the main regions were outlined in the FR series, we got the next layer -- the Volo's Guides, which showed what places were like close-up, and the FOR series, which began to show the Realms' real depth, the crisscrossing stories and intrigues and traditions -- FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark, FOR4 The Code of the Harpers, The Seven Sisters, Prayers from the Faithful, Cult of the Dragon, Secrets of the Magister. I miss new ones as much as Volo's Guides; next to them, the new books are visibly meat-and-potatoes pedestrian.

I doubt many Realms religions have a single holy book: they're too oral, too decentralized, and the Realms doesn't have the logocentric monotheism that gave the Torah/Bible/Qur'an or the specific traditions that gave us the Indian holy books.

Edited by - Faraer on 24 Mar 2004 23:44:48
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  01:19:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo to all, again. Herewith, Ed’s latest:

Hi, everyone.
Hey, Lashan and Rick, you’re both quite welcome.
Dargoth, the short answer is: yes, and yes again (Kuje, thanks for the redirect!), some were in PRAYERS FROM THE FAITHFUL. This is a topic I’ll address properly in April, when the Waterdeep book (and my taxes!) are handed in.
Likewise the Silverymoon queries from Alex. :}
Damian, Kuje has got it right re. Dawnspire. As for your law vs. chaos query: oh, yes, the ‘home’ Realms campaign (and as much as I can possibly make it, the published Realms) has always abounded in ‘shades of gray,’ with even the good guys differing in approaches and judgements of other players, and many, many examples of people just trying to get along in life, or doing ‘good’ things that had terrible consequences, or disagreeing on matters of style. Many of the struggles in Cormyr, for example, haven’t really been to unseat an Obarskyr monarch so much as they have been to get whoever is monarch, one way or another, to make Cormyr more like THIS, or that, or the other.

Which brings me to thom’s Lathanderite oaths request.
Here, for you and Wooly Rupert and all who are interested, are my relevant notes on the topic.
Realms exclamations appear alphabetically, followed in parentheses (with asterisks to lessen the obscenity impact) by the real-world equivalent:

“Beard!” (contraction of “[by the] Beard of Omthas!”) [Omthas was an early prophet of Lathander, last heard from over six centuries ago]

“Bitterblood!” (contraction of “By the blood of Alathan!”)

“By the Beard of Omthas!” (“Holy crap!” or: “Jesus!” [profane amazement])

“By the blood of Alathan!” (“Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!” or: “Bloody hell!” or “Jesus f**king Christ!” [profane shock or disgust]) [Alathan was a high priest of a Lathanderite temple who was martyred four centuries back for preaching the faith of Lathander by the local Tethyrian duke -- who hated and feared change, and didn’t want any commoners getting uppoty ideas about starting ANYTHING new]

“Darkrose!” (“Blast!” or: “F**k!”)

“Dawnfire!” (“Sh*t!”)

“Dusking!” (“Damnation!”)

“Redblood!” (“Bloody hell!” or “Damn!” [upset Lathanderites have been heard to say things like “They even stole the redblooding candles!” so “redblooding” is the form that lets this word be used directly in place of the real-world “bloody” or “f**king”]

“Star of the Morning!” (“My word!” [usable even when speaking to superiors in the church ‘polite oath’ that denotes surprise or dismay])

“Starfall!” (“Damn!” or “Blast!” [ancient oath, now considered almost poetic or flowery])

“Zustrin!” (“Bloody marvellous!” or “F**king wonderful!” [used only when pleased, but so shocked or surprised as to burst out into profanity; considered poor form by clergy of Lathander]

So saith Ed.
Faraer, I’m afraid I have both a great memory and thorough notes. Both of my jobs require these. The memory can be a two-edged sword, though: I remember all the deaths of family and friends all too well.
Damian, there was a huge ‘gold rush’ of adventurers into Myth Drannor after word spread that “the demons and devils were gone,” but the various fights against the devils (Mistledale holding them off, Voonlar holding them off, Battledale holding them off, Yulash and Hillsfar ditto) occurred before our arrival in Shadowdale, and everyone was too exhausted, between the devil raids and the Zhent attacks, to join with us.
And that’s it from me, for now. Must go fix someone’s redblooding stupid book. :}
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  01:22:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A question for Alexander Heppe: have you read Ed's excellent two-parter on the Wizards website, "My Slice of Silverymoon"? It should start to answer a lot of your questions.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  04:38:43  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello Lady Hooded One,

Mmm I don't know why but somehow I get the impression that I have heard your real name in passing, just for the life of me can't remember at the moment. You personally reminds me of Jhaele, could that be coincedence?

I have a Lanthanderan saying, more like a first rays prayer I would like to share with you all including Ed (but he has read it before)

"In the dawn beauty reins, and the way is clearer, for it dispels uncertainty, fostering the hope of renewal. It quells fear and its darkness recoils for Lathander’s radiance has come home once more."

Question to Ed... Where is the Srinshee now?

Question to our Hooded One: So the signing for Elminster's daughter will be at Wendy's store? Goodie, when is the exact date in May?

On the fun side of questions: How many Drow does it take to change a light bulb?

With Eilistraee now listed as having a home in Avardor (as per Forgottem Realms Player's Guide), does this finally mean that all those worshipping Eilistrae, Drow, Human, Elf, Half-Elf, go to her upon their passing? Does Sehanine come to retrieve them or is that in Eilistraee's duties?

I think Eric listed the Drow before their falling the dark elves of Mieytar and Ilytari aa Ssri'Tel'Quessir, could a more befitting name for Eilistraee's Drow be Deu'Tel'Quessir, roughly translating to Dark or in more poetic fashion, not to offense the Moon Elves Teu'Tel'Quessir, to represent Deu'Tel'Quessir as Darker side of the Moon?
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  04:42:15  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Any theories by all as to what the consequences will be when Elaith finds out that he has a son from Amnestria and heir to the throne of Evermeet?
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  08:21:38  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message
quote:
A question for Alexander Heppe: have you read Ed's excellent two-parter on the Wizards website, "My Slice of Silverymoon"? It should start to answer a lot of your questions.

Dear Lady,

yes I have read this excellent pieces of realmslore quite some time ago. (They´re printed out and in my Silver-Marches Binder right now)

To be honest, it was this two-parter that intrigued me and showed me that Ed has much more on Silverymoon than has been published already. In this two-parter, detailing a small quarter of the city, you could feel the love and detail Ed puts into his creations. And with Volo only tipping the surface of the city, I knew that Ed had many more about that place to say. I suppose that, besides Waterdeep, the Dalelands and the other "basic" FR-regions, Silverymoon has to be one of those places that Ed holds and keeps "special". Right? So I just had to ask the questions in my last post.

Keep up the good work.

Greetings from Europe,

Alex
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  09:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
*chuckles*

taxs?

Next time Elminster drops by get him to bring a Cleric of Waukeen with him, if you let him do your taxs the Goverment will end up OWING YOU money

Got a Question

Has Manshoon replaced Orlgaun the Dragon Mount which he lost in Spellfire? and if so with what?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  14:50:04  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Oh Hooded Lady, please tell Ed "Thank thee most kindly!" for those oaths, they're perfect for my group of eager & young Lathanderites!.

And for you Oh Lady, can you remember any of the oaths Ed used when his Banites were striking at the Knights, or terrorizing innocents Dalesfolk? I'd like to have some things for my Banite villains to spit out at my PCs when they're battling them.

thom
Go to Top of Page

BrokenRulz
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  15:38:57  Show Profile  Visit BrokenRulz's Homepage Send BrokenRulz a Private Message
Hooded One...

My...friend (yes, that'll do)..my FRIEND would like to know and please forgive him for asking such a strange and bizarre question...but are there truly such things as Giant Space Hamsters floating around Toril? Or are these simply the ravings of mad rangers and lunatics?

D.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  18:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
I like those oaths! I have to ask, though, if there are other oaths out there? Perhaps for another religion (Torm or Tempus) or even just general oaths? I know you posted a couple earlier, but any more would be terrific!

I'm also curious about paladins in the structure of the church. Since I assume it is different for each religion, I can say especially for the Church of Torm. How do paladins fit into the relgion and who guards the temples? I've been assuming that paladins are there to guard the temples. Now, I know that there are many knightly orders, but is there one for those who guard the temples? Would all paladins of a local temple be required to guard the temple at all? If a paladin was part of the city watch, would they also be required to guard the temple? If paladins don't guard the temple, who does (if anyone)?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  19:04:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BrokenRulz

Hooded One...

My...friend (yes, that'll do)..my FRIEND would like to know and please forgive him for asking such a strange and bizarre question...but are there truly such things as Giant Space Hamsters floating around Toril? Or are these simply the ravings of mad rangers and lunatics?

I, the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, will take this one.

In the long ago days of 2nd edition, TSR introduced a setting called Spelljammer. It was AD&D in space, and the basic intent was to give people a non-planar way to hop between Oerth (Greyhawk), Krynn (Dragginglance) and Toril (Forgotten Realms), as well as any other worlds you felt like sending them to.

Krynn's tinker gnomes rather liked arcane space, and happily went exploring. Their ships were large sidewheelers, and to propel these sidewheelers, they bred the Giant Space Hamsters. Hamsters love to run around in wheels, and these are big wheels on spacecraft, so there you go.

Of course, being tinker gnomes, they had to basically go crazy with the concept... And so they bred many, many variant breeds -- including the Miniature Giant Space Hamster, which looks remarkably like a regular hamster.

Spelljammer has received only a rough translation into 3.0, in an issue of Dungeon. No official 3.x stats exist for the Giant Space Hamster, but a couple of people have flipped the basic breed over.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Mar 2004 19:10:29
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  22:31:40  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hi Alex

I am guessing you know of this site

http://www.gemofthenorth.org/index.html

cheers

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Heppe

yes I have read this excellent pieces of realmslore quite some time ago. (They´re printed out and in my Silver-Marches Binder right now)

To be honest, it was this two-parter that intrigued me and showed me that Ed has much more on Silverymoon than has been published
Alex

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  22:42:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Just wanted to let Ed know that his listing of Swear/Curses are a smash hit. I've gotten about 20+ personal messages asking for the list when I posted a thread about it over on the WOTC boards. I think if he could supply more we would gobble them up. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  23:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Indeed, I'd love to hear more about the setting specific curses, taunts, and oaths of the Realms! I'd like to hear more about the different variety of coins produced and exchanged in specific areas.

Thanks Ed for all the lore, and creating the most amazing campaign setting I've ever had the honor of DMing PCs through.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  01:35:06  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
I have a question for Ed in regards to the calander example:

Chess 23 (The Claws of the Sunsets) Third Tenday Fleetswake 3

Ok now Chess if I am not mistaken is the month, so what does 23 in this instance stand for?

Claws of the Sunset refers to the midwinter holiday right?

Third Tenday would that mean the week?

Fleestwake the day in the week?

and finally what does the 3 stand for?

If I was to go a month back when wouldhave been the full moon considering the above is the half-moon.

How would one calculate when the new moon and full moons appear?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  01:47:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
’Lo, everyone. Thy Hooded Lady here, fresh from an e-chat with Ed, to bring you a few handy oaths used by Banites. Ed speaks:

Here are some naughty words apt to be uttered by worshippers of Bane today. Where the curse seems an invented word and no ‘name origin’ is given, it derives from an ancient, ill-remembered ‘temple tongue’ or cant used by the very early cult of Bane, to keep secret the nature of converse between priests.

“Aumarrath!” (contraction of “In memory of Aumarrath!” [Aumarrath the Tyrant-King was an early prophet of Bane, and this oath is polite enough to be used to superior clergy, denoting holy awe or satisfaction, somewhat akin to the real world: “Blood of the Virgin!” or “Name of the God!”])

“Blackfire!” (“Blood of the God!” [used in awe, admiration, or profane amazement, but never when angry or disgusted; is much less formal than “Aumarrath!”])

“Clathenar!” (“Holy crap!” or: “Jesus!” [Clathenar was an unintentional martyr of Bane whose long-ago holy service was one long sequence of disastrous screwups, so this oath is always used like a groan of dismay or spat out in despairing anger, when something has gone seriously wrong]; pronounced ‘CLATH-en-ar’)

“Embarranar!” (a gloating thanks to Bane for something that’s gone well, or a victory, or unlooked-for aid or good fortune, roughly equivalent to a delighted: “Son of a B*TCH!” or “Don’t that take all!”; pronounced ‘Em-bar-RAN-ar’)

“Hand of Hate!” ([contraction of the rarely-heard “Feel the Hand of Hate!”] an expression only snarled at foes or victims being slain; rough equivalent of a real-world: “DIE, motherf**ker!”)

“Holy Fist!” (“Jesus Christ!”)

“Krisk!” (“Sh*t!”)

“Lurruk!” (“Bloody hell!” or “Damn!”; pronounced ‘LUR-uh-kh’)

“Sark!” (“Blast!” or: “F**k!”)

“Talar!” (“Well, damn!” [a mild expression of surprise or dismay])

“Tondrabbar!” (“To the God!” [a war-cry or exulting expression uttered when an offering is touched aflame or broken, a foe is struck, or an attack is launched (i.e. it would be the first shout of a surprise attack); pronounced ‘Tawn-DRAB-bar’)

“Whiteblood!” (“Bloody hell!” or “Jesus f**king Christ!” [profane shock or disgust])

This is of course the very sort of detail dropped because of the original TSR Code of Ethics AND the desire to simplify speech (doing away with dialects/accents, and so on) to make the game more accessible when it first appeared. If your players don’t feel comfortable using any of these expressions, or they seem silly when uttered, don’t use them. Bane will understand. :}

So saith Ed. To this I can only add one curse I remember from play: a priest of Bane being slashed open by Florin on a bridge, and falling to his death howling, “Terror forever!” (or rather: “Taerrrrorrr Forevvvvvvvurr!”). That may actually have been a Zhentilar warcry rather than a strictly Banite saying.
Better gaming through frank converse, as always,
THO
Go to Top of Page

digitalelf
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  02:30:43  Show Profile  Visit digitalelf's Homepage Send digitalelf a Private Message
Hail and Well Met, Mr. Ed of the Greenwood

What lore of The Red Knight can you offer?

Specifically, what prayers and offerings would a young follower offer to her?

Also, a few oaths would be much appreciated

-That One Digitalelf Fellow-
(DM of the Realms since 1987)
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  03:47:19  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
Another question for the "most generous with realmslore" Ed,

I'm interested in any lore your willing to part with concerning the Tower of Balance, Mystra's temple in Silverymoon.

My thanks for all your time answering questions on the boards and thrilling our collective imaginations!

Brian

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  05:21:06  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message

The Hooded One,

Yet another question for Ed. (This is fun!)

Ed,

Ever since I read the article in Dragon about Eilistraee and her temple under Waterdeep I've been interested in all things Eilistraen. Can you fill me in on any new happenings concerning the followers of the Dark Maiden? Have the faithful in Raven's Bluff made any headway?

Regards,
Simon

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  05:45:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
'Allo again, O Lady of the Hood! Another query to pass on to Sage Greenwood:

I think the Roll of Years adds a nice bit of flavor. But it seems a bit odd to me that people actually keep track of years by the name, rather than the numbering system. 'Tis far easier to remember that 10 years ago was 1363, rather than saying 10 years ago was the Year of the Wyvern.

So, what I should like to know is your reasoning for this. And how, exactly, did you come up with it? Oh yeah, and did you fill out the Roll yourself, or did you just do some dates and TSR/WotC filled in the rest?

As always, thank you for sharing your lore with us!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  07:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message
Hooded One, this one is for you!

Have you and the Knights ever visited the High Forest? I'm currently trying to compile all know info on the HF in to my database for FR.
What stories might you be able to share, knowledge gleaned, mysteries solved, etc.

I believe Richard Bakers upcoming novel will shed some light on some of this, I'm even guessing that the Mistmasters Citadel is looking pretty tempting to the Fer'yi, well more like the ancient armoury underneath it.......hmmmm.

Thanks as always for everything!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  12:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Another couple of Questions for Ed

Is there an adventure section in Serpent Kingdoms like there is in Silver Marches?

and is the Mere of Dead Men one of the areas thats covered in SK?

Thanks in advance

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  13:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message
I have a question.

Why doesn't Ed just post here himself. I'm sure the second-hand posting isn't the easiest way to impart knowledge.

Or are we to assume The Hooded One is Ed himself?

If he has the time to respond, why doesn't he just post the responses himself? It doesn't make sense to me to have someone do that for him. Does he voice his responses to The Hooded One while short hand notes are taken? Does he type up his responses and give them to The Hooded One? He could save time and the extra hand by just posting the responses himself.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 26 Mar 2004 13:47:23
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  15:35:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met, all. The Hooded One here again. I’m faithfully sending all of your questions on to Ed, but his replies are going to slow down somewhat as he gets the Waterdeep novel finished.
I can answer a few of the questions myself, right now:

Dargoth, Ed’s contract and NDAs prevent him from doing more than hinting at contents of Serpent Kingdoms. WotC employees may reveal more (presumably with permission), but Ed can’t. If Ed’s answers sometimes seem convoluted or missing some juicy bits, that’s usually why.

Crust, Ed posts through me here because I dragged him into doing it. We’re very close friends, and I’ve been one of his players for about 26 years. Ed is one of the busiest people I know, and has very little free time. He also lives in a rural area with very bad Net access (no choice of ISPs, and a slow dial-up connection), working on old Macs that lack Flash and have only a crippled smidgin of Java, so he can’t even SEE most of what’s available on most sites out on the Net (unless he’s using a computer at his workplace, the library). He was once asked by WotC to post on their boards, and just couldn’t do so for technical reasons (when they do an online chat with Ed, they PHONE him, and he dictates his replies, and the long-suffering Mat types everything in at WotC). He was invited to post on Bob Salvatore’s boards, and briefly did so, before (for some technical reason beyond his understanding) the software simply stopped working.
Years ago, Ed and Eric Boyd discussed whether or not Ed should post on the Realms list (which he does only through friendly moderators or former moderators), and Eric advised against it, for two reasons: his ISP would crash the moment all the e-mails from folks who could now “see” his e-mail address flooded in, and people would censor themselves (or, if they were trolls, come out of the woodwork to bait and flame) knowing he was reading their every keystroke. Ed didn’t want that to happen here. As he told me: “No Realms forum is of any use to me or anyone else if people don’t dare to speak honestly when posting to it. I need to hear what’s bad or disliked, not just praise or demands for more of this and more of that. I’m not talking about politeness, just people hesitating to speak their minds.”
So there you have it. All of your queries are saved by me AND sent on to Ed. And I trust folks here understand by now my reasons for not revealing my own identity. Have a good one.
THO
Go to Top of Page

BrokenRulz
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  16:23:56  Show Profile  Visit BrokenRulz's Homepage Send BrokenRulz a Private Message
Hooded One:

I wanted to bring up something I believe you touched briefly upon in an earlier post. It has to do with the appearance of the Chosen.
You said something to the effect that the Chosen can look whatever age they want to be. Elminster, at the moment, choses to look like a man in his 50s. To me this coincides with the portrait of him in the Realms Campaign setting. Yet in the past he has appeared much older with a longer beard, etc. I just want to clarify that this is no illusion or polymorph effect and rather a gift that the Chosen simply have. Could the Simbul look an old lady if she wanted? Storm a young girl? Could Elminster reverse himself to a lad in his 20s with all the youthful exuberance and stamina a person that age would have and stay that way for as long as he/she wanted?
If so, why do you believe they choose to look their respective ages and why does Elminster now want to look younger? Or am I wrong and do artists simply take liberties without consulting you? Or do they take these liberties anyway and you run with it? Sorry for the deluge.

D.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000