Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  06:23:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't know that I'm supposed to share any specifics as of yet. Sorry. Will give more info closer to the time of publication.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  09:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Classic question, whose your favorite character to write for and why?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  20:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess my all-time favorite character to write is Martin Rivers, who is a sword-and-sorcery hero but not a FR character. He starred in some non-franchise short stories I did a while back, and I expect I'll get back to him again someday.
I guess I like him because he's smart, sensible, and heroic without being goody-goody. His goal in life is to get ahead in his career (knighthood), not right wrongs or fight evil, but he steps up when bad things are happening. In that way, he is, to my mind, more believable and relatable than many paladin- or supehero-style characters. He's also somewhat like many of the Poul Anderson and L. Sprague deCamp protagonists I identified with when I was reading their fiction during my impressionable youth.
Also, his adventures are told in the first person. I enjoy writing first-person, and you don't often get to do it when you're doing heroic fantasy.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  00:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just received my author copies of The Ruin, so I imagine you guys will be able to purchase it soon if it's not available already.
And in the same shameless spirit of self-promotion, I'll remind you that the next issue of Dragon has a short story by me that's another prequel to The Year of Rogue Dragons. It tells of the first meeting of Dorn and Raryn.
Also: Here are the titles and release dates for the three books in my next FR trilogy, The Haunted Land:
Unclean (April, 2007)
Undead (March, 2008)
Unholy (Early, 2009--I didn't know Early was a month, but that's what it says on the advertising page in the front of The Ruin.)
Now you guys know about as much about my career as I do.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  01:38:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... an intriguing choice of title names.

Thanks Richard .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  03:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suggested that we could maintain the motif and call one of the books in the trilogy Uncola, thus, perhaps, scoring some product placement money, but Phil Athans torpedoed the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  03:35:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I suggested that we could maintain the motif and call one of the books in the trilogy Uncola, thus, perhaps, scoring some product placement money, but Phil Athans torpedoed the idea.

Can we refer to the books as the "Un-trilogy"?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  04:10:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works for me .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  00:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just received my author copies of The Ruin, so I imagine you guys will be able to purchase it soon if it's not available already.
And in the same shameless spirit of self-promotion, I'll remind you that the next issue of Dragon has a short story by me that's another prequel to The Year of Rogue Dragons. It tells of the first meeting of Dorn and Raryn.
Also: Here are the titles and release dates for the three books in my next FR trilogy, The Haunted Land:
Unclean (April, 2007)
Undead (March, 2008)
Unholy (Early, 2009--I didn't know Early was a month, but that's what it says on the advertising page in the front of The Ruin.)
Now you guys know about as much about my career as I do.

Looking forward to the finale of the Rogue Dragons series.

Any idea what the new trilogy is about? Even a tidbit to whet our appetites?

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  07:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At this point, can't really say any more than I've said already in a previous post: It's set in Thay and will showcase the undead of the Realms in kinda sorta but not really the same way that Year of Rogue Dragons showcases dragons. There's supposed to be a Realms of the Undead tie-in anthology, also.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  09:28:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does that mean WotC is planning a "Year of the Undead" just like it has labelled 2006 as the "Year of the Dragon"?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  15:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If so, they haven't told me.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  02:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the current FR year have anything relating to undead in its name?

Or is it being set in the next year? DR 1375?

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  03:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  03:51:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

Does the current FR year have anything relating to undead in its name?

Or is it being set in the next year? DR 1375?

There's nothing that obviously relates to undead until 1377, The Year of the Haunting.

BTW, if you aren't familiar with the year names on the Roll of Years, there's a couple of options. You can download a file containing various formats for the Roll of Years (including, as I recall, the original RTF files from the Wizards page, lo these many years ago), or you can use the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool, which is truly nifty and also shows the list.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  05:19:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Richard, I was just wondering this one. You have written quite a few characters from quite a few different areas in the Realms. Is there any chance you might have any of your characters "cameo" in any of your books?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  14:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Knight: I might bring back characters from earlier works since I am fond of a number of them. But only if it seems logical and dramatically effective that they show up.
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  23:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the Ruin and I must say it is a nice read, just a bit short if you ask me (but considering that it was the last book nearly everything would have been to short).

And this time I won't complain that dragons are portrayed to weak
Now I only have to wait to see how these novels translate into the game world.

Just one question, is there anything from the Draconomicon you haven't used in your books?

Edited by - Inquisitor on 11 May 2006 23:04:01
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  02:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It may be a bit short, but it's as long as WotC wanted it to be. The publisher puts a ceiling on length, and one does what one can.
There was actually a lot of stuff from Draconomicon that didn't find its way into the novels.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  05:23:44  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It may be a bit short, but it's as long as WotC wanted it to be. The publisher puts a ceiling on length, and one does what one can.
There was actually a lot of stuff from Draconomicon that didn't find its way into the novels.

Tons that didn't, but a very impressive amount that did. It's an excellent accomplishment to be able to incorporate that much game material while still making every instance completely germane to the story.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  16:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree. I really like that you one of the few authors who, when writing about D&D, keep the D&D rules in mind and not like most other authors completly throw them out of the window.

Of course there are some things which are not in the rules and some things which directly contradict them (like the silver dragon who was killed by acid) but that has to be expected when you want to have a good story (How boring would it be if they could simply ressurect everyone? But Chatulio would deserv it...).

A question, do you plan to use one of the surviving (semi) villians from the Year of the Rogue Dragon in future novels?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  18:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's possible, but there are no immediate plans.
Go to Top of Page

the obsolete
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  23:08:43  Show Profile  Visit the obsolete's Homepage Send the obsolete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
first off, just wanna say richard, you are one of my favorite authors from the realms to read. i just finished the ruin, completing the rogue dragon trilogy. what i am most curious about is sammaster. we got some background info about him with mystra's chosen, etc. he is an interesting character. so with what decisions need to be made by yourself and WOTC, will a stand alone series for sammaster ever be done? (sorry, if this has been asked before)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  00:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Obsolete: First off, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoy my stuff.
I agree that Sam's an interesting character. It isn't too conceited of me to say that, since his background and personality are well-defined in the old 2nd edition D&D product Draconomicon (not to be confused with the new volume of the same name.) I simply expanded on the good work that had already been done.
I don't know that anyone at WotC has considered a series that truly centers on Sam, or if they would want me to write it if they did. It would be tricky to do a whole series with a mad villain as the central character and make it work dramatically, I think. Which is not to say it would be impossible.
Of course, there is another issue:

SPOILER WARNING FOR THE RUIN

I punched Sam's ticket as thoroughly as I could at the climax of the trilogy. Now granted, in fantasy, there's always a way to resurrect a character if the author is willing to be arbitrary and heavy-handed enough, but still. once I croak 'em, I kind of prefer that they stay that way. Otherwise death stops paying off dramatically in the way that it should (this is part of the reason why superhero comics have trouble achieving genuine emotional impact.)
But I do like Sam, and I'd consider writing it if the money was right and we had a sufficiently good idea. Hey, Sam vs. Pharaun, what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

the obsolete
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  00:13:34  Show Profile  Visit the obsolete's Homepage Send the obsolete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you for answering. it is just from my point of view, what i read. sammaster was a chosen of mystra, he did try to save people. he just had a misfortune of bad luck. so it would be curious to see what he did to become a chosen, what happened after becoming a chosen, etc.
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  04:07:23  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the obsolete

thank you for answering. it is just from my point of view, what i read. sammaster was a chosen of mystra, he did try to save people. he just had a misfortune of bad luck. so it would be curious to see what he did to become a chosen, what happened after becoming a chosen, etc.

Not really, he's also written up in the old 2E Cult of the Dragon book (which may be the one Richard is thinking of). He more went insane and then had to be put down cause he started to create dracoliches.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  04:46:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard

What where the start and end dates for the Rage?

Note: I havent read the Ruin yet so I only want the dates (No details)

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  05:09:42  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob: I believe I was thinking of Cult of the Dragons. Thanks for sorting that out for me.
Dargoth: The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy pretty much spans 1373.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  05:53:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobROE

Not really, he's also written up in the old 2E Cult of the Dragon book (which may be the one Richard is thinking of). He more went insane and then had to be put down cause he started to create dracoliches.

This book is available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page.

Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  08:20:15  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bob: I believe I was thinking of Cult of the Dragons. Thanks for sorting that out for me.

No problem, I wasn't going to say you were wrong cause you've probably read both of them more recently than I.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000