Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  05:42:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

I have a cat named Guenwhyvar.

I believe RAS does, as well... I think that's where the name for Drizzt's cat came from. (And the name is, of course, another spelling of Guinevir, which evolved into Jennifer).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  22:29:09  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying Queen of the Depths. A great Realms book with a great mix of Realmslore and game influence, while still preserving the readability. Just excellent. And I'd hazard to say you are improving as a writer to boot. Best, Tom Costa.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  07:13:20  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom. I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Freakboy
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  14:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Freakboy's Homepage Send Freakboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard,

I just wanted to stop in and tell you how much I appreciate your work on the Year of Rogue Dragons Trilogy. I just finished reading both the Rage and the Rite in the last couple of weeks. Wow am I impressed. I really love how you are such a student of the Realms. Little things like how you will have spellcasters use recognizable spells from Realms suppliments really shine in all of the books I've read that you've written.

I also have to express my gratitude at how willing you are to delve in to Realmslore to find interesting characters for your books. A half-golem dragonslayer - genius. Avariel Bladesinger who wishes he was human - again genius. Arctic Dwarf - Love it. Song Dragon Sorceress - Phenominal. Smoke Drake Vampire - Amazing. Not to mention your creation of Phauran, who is my favorite character in all the Realms. Your ability to write memorable characters is the thing I think that stands out best in your writing, and it has made me a huge fan of your work.

Keep up the great job and I can't wait to read the Ruin when it realeases at the beginning of 06.

Thanks again for your great work.

Edited by - Freakboy on 16 Oct 2005 14:55:52
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  14:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Freakboy. I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  18:35:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just a quick thank you for Queen of the Depths, what can I say - pirates, dragons, things with fins that show some brains, Jorunhast, and a bit more. You really couldn't fail to win me with this one. Well done, sir. Well done.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  22:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Kajehase.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  04:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear Jorunhast makes an appearance. Now I don't regret not shoe-horning him into a meeting with Khelben in my book.

SES
Done with revisions, so now I have time to read Queen of the Depths...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  07:31:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I can't wait to see this one in my hobby store. Read the sample chapter on the WotC website and it's whetted my appetite for more.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  11:23:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got the book, and it's next on my list. Right now, I'm working on a non-Realms book Ed kinda plugged a couple of times in his thread: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Seeing that Jorunhast is in it makes me want to read it more. As soon as I read Kajehase's post, I double-checked to make sure the book was next in the pile.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  14:44:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've got the book, and it's next on my list. Right now, I'm working on a non-Realms book Ed kinda plugged a couple of times in his thread: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Seeing that Jorunhast is in it makes me want to read it more. As soon as I read Kajehase's post, I double-checked to make sure the book was next in the pile.

Aye! Queen of the Depths is next on my list as well... just as soon as I finish THUD! and Knife of Dreams.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  15:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thought someone might like to know that I've done another FR story for Dragon Magazine. It tells how Dorn and Raryn, two of the protagonists from The Year of Rogue Dragons, first met. It will likely run in the first half of 2006.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  14:45:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas, gang!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  16:55:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas to you, too, Richard!

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  17:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas, Richard!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  17:10:34  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God Jul Richard

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  18:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Merry Christmas, gang!

Well met, and a Merry Christmas, Richard

See thee in the new year for more draconic tales and lore

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish all authors herein a very Merry Christmas (I stated this in this scroll, incase it was missed )

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2005 :  00:48:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy holidays Rich .

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  00:57:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Richard, I have a question that sprouts from my starting to read Queen of the Depths. Did you have any say in what god/goddess was involved, and was there a reason that the theme was not only priests, but preists of goddesses as well? Also, according to how you envisioned it, did the Rage eminate out from north of the Great Glacier, and thus, areas nearby are affected first and strongest, or did all dragons in Faerun start feeling the effects as soon as you know who messed with how the you know what works. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  15:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I came onto this particular project kind of at the last minute, after the artist had already painted the cover painting.Perhaps because the painting was already done, I was told that the book had to focus on a shalarin priestess of Umberlee, so no, I didn't have any input on that essential detail (everything else, however, was my idea), nor do I know why the Priests series dealt with priestesses as well as priests. But hey, why not?
The Rage hit all of Faerūn at the same time. I just didn't have the extra words to include throwawy scenes of dragons tearing the crap out of the southlands, west coast, etc., but trust me, they're doing it.
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  15:13:01  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Richard,

I finished reading "Queen of the Depths" this week-end and I really enjoyed it a lot. I liked the approach it had to the whole issue of "faith". Especially how you depicted the quesions of faith in the FR not being centered around "do they exist" (since they know that), but around "do they care" or "does he/she want me to do that or that".

Your shalarin priestess was a great believer! Any god would want somebody like that to serve them.

Thanks for yet another great book and all the enjoyment.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  15:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed it, Bocklin.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  21:29:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard

I can't wait to read the final book of the Year of the Rogue Dragon (and seeing the cover today don't helped me...)

By the way it makes me wonder if at this point you can tel us what's next after this trilogy. Will we have a Will and Pavel trilogy (I realy like them)? Or semething new/new characters.

Thanks

Lord Nemes
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  22:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something entirely new, but I'm not allowed to talk about it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  17:22:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,

I don't recall you mentioning that you have a story in the new Valdemar anthology. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  01:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I did forget to mention it, Kuje. Thanks for reminding me.
I do indeed have a story in the new Valdemar anthology. It's a fantasy/mystery and a sequel to my previous Valdemar tale, but can (I hope) be enjoyed independently.
Perhaps this is as good a time as any to mention that I'll be writng a Warhammer novel later this year. (Let me make it clear that this is in addition to, not instead of, further contributions to the Realms.)
Don't know yet when it'll come out. Some time in 2007, I hope. I'll provide more details as I get them myself.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  02:26:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! A WH novel. It sounds like it'll be enough for me to start reading Warhammer novels again... . Can't wait to hear more about it Richard .

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Feb 2006 02:27:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  03:32:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Perhaps this is as good a time as any to mention that I'll be writng a Warhammer novel later this year. (Let me make it clear that this is in addition to, not instead of, further contributions to the Realms.)

That would be the fantasy side, right? The only novels I've read from GW have been the 40k ones dealing with Ragnar Blackmane (I loves my high-tech Vikings! )

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  04:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'll be dealing with fantasy/medieval Warhammer, not fantasy/futuristic Warhammer 40k.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  05:26:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you share anything else about the WH book you'll be writing Richard? Or is it still underwraps?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000