Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  13:42:21  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Thanks for your reply!

The description comes over well enough, rest assured. The guys from "Feder & Schwert" know their stuff. And, by the way, sorry for using these movie analogies. I just couldn't come up with better written explanations :-/

BTW, speaking of WotSQ VI revisions and all, any way to contact you (or you me)?

Zanan,

Drop me an email anytime at paulsvantekemp@yahoo.com

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  01:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul,

I was just surfing around the WotC products list and I saw your name listed in the Realms of Elves product description. It is to my best knowledge that you said you had withdrawn from this project a few months back.

Is this just an error on WotC's part or have you returned to the roster?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  13:42:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

Hey Paul,

I was just surfing around the WotC products list and I saw your name listed in the Realms of Elves product description. It is to my best knowledge that you said you had withdrawn from this project a few months back.

Is this just an error on WotC's part or have you returned to the roster?

Paec,

An error. I won't be contributing a story to Realms of Elves.
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  18:30:43  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so much a question as a comment, I've really loved the Cale trilogy and I'm looking forward to your next book!

Mike McKeown
relative board newbie
<- fellow attorney in Michigan
(born and raised in MD Go Terps!)
working for Legal Services Not the *Man*

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  13:44:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by qstor

Not so much a question as a comment, I've really loved the Cale trilogy and I'm looking forward to your next book!

Mike McKeown
relative board newbie
<- fellow attorney in Michigan
(born and raised in MD Go Terps!)
working for Legal Services Not the *Man*

Mike,

Thank you very much. That is kind of you to say. Whereabouts in Michigan are you? I live on the eastside and practice law in Troy (a northern suburb).
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  08:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on this board now for the first time in 2006, so Happy New Year to everyone!

SPOILERS hereafter ...

Mr. Kemp, I just finished Midnight's Mask and I have to say that I was as much surprised by the Sojourner's actual plan as I was about the description of the Halflings' afterworld. The latter should become a must read for DMs and players, as it will surely ease their trouble/pain having their game heroes killed.

I wonder what the Wizards' designers will make of the removed tear of Selūne though. ... Or how they will incorporate it in the Timeline, as it is indeed some sort of a Realms-shaking event.

A couple of more things about Resurrection ... dunno whether I asked them as yet. Lolth was described as a multi-body being of eight spiders, one took over the form of one of the "heroine's", appearing somewhat drider-like. What is your imagination of Lolth? Is she one being consisting of eight bodies with one conscience (in a way like the borg of Star Trek and their queen)?
Secondly, how do you picture Lady Penitent's appearance ... and did you hand any ideas over to the designers? To keep consistency with novels and sourcebooks.

Zanan

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  14:58:59  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Back on this board now for the first time in 2006, so Happy New Year to everyone!

SPOILERS hereafter ...

Mr. Kemp, I just finished Midnight's Mask and I have to say that I was as much surprised by the Sojourner's actual plan as I was about the description of the Halflings' afterworld. The latter should become a must read for DMs and players, as it will surely ease their trouble/pain having their game heroes killed.

I wonder what the Wizards' designers will make of the removed tear of Selūne though. ... Or how they will incorporate it in the Timeline, as it is indeed some sort of a Realms-shaking event.

A couple of more things about Resurrection ... dunno whether I asked them as yet. Lolth was described as a multi-body being of eight spiders, one took over the form of one of the "heroine's", appearing somewhat drider-like. What is your imagination of Lolth? Is she one being consisting of eight bodies with one conscience (in a way like the borg of Star Trek and their queen)?
Secondly, how do you picture Lady Penitent's appearance ... and did you hand any ideas over to the designers? To keep consistency with novels and sourcebooks.

Zanan

Zanan,

I'm pleased you enjoyed MM.

As for Lolth's appearance, I think she can take any of several forms. It just so happens that she choose the eight-spiders form for WotSQ. Thinking of gods as having a multiple consciousness strikes me as a good way to conceptualize it, though. After all, most gods have several aspects, multiple avatars, possible some Chosen, and, AND, despite the canon of recent years, I remain convinced that the Lolth of Oerth, the Lolth of Faerun, the Lolth of wherever, are each some aspect of the same Lolth.

I see the Lady Penitent as having a dessicated drow form, taller than average, with limbs somewhat elongated and suggestive in form of a merging with something arachnoid (not a drider-like form, though, but something still bipedal). Facial features stil suggest Halisstra's original beauty, but also include fangs and six small vestigial eyes in the brow. Arachnoid hair pops here and there from the skin of her body, though it is not black but bleach white.

I did share much of this with one designer (Eric Boyd) when he queried me after finishing Resurrection.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  10:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that reply! Good to know that one of the chief designers is keeping a close look at the events too ... which may result in something like Lady Penitent finding a way into a sourcebook. And if she looks like you described her above ... well that would mean more continuity between novels and sourcebooks, which is good news indeed.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  14:32:10  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Mike,

Thank you very much. That is kind of you to say. Whereabouts in Michigan are you? I live on the eastside and practice law in Troy (a northern suburb).
[/quote]

I'm in Clinton Twp and work for Legal Services in Macomb.

I go to most of the major game conventions in the area. I think I was at UCon 2 years ago (?) when you were a guest but didn't get a chance to stop by. I'm active in the RPGA and I was DMing for them.
btw I saw your post on ENworld on Traveller I'm a big Traveller fan too. I post there as Qstor too

Mike

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  23:21:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul

I was re-reading your short story in 'Realms of the Dragons' last night and wondered if there was any information you could give us in terms of the origins of the temple that is shunted into the Plane of Shadow. Is it from Faerūn or another plane? If it is from Faerūn, I'm assuming it's a temple to Shar. Where was it located in 'the world'? What ties did it have to the Realms? Thanks in advance.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  14:05:05  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hey Paul

I was re-reading your short story in 'Realms of the Dragons' last night and wondered if there was any information you could give us in terms of the origins of the temple that is shunted into the Plane of Shadow. Is it from Faerūn or another plane? If it is from Faerūn, I'm assuming it's a temple to Shar. Where was it located in 'the world'? What ties did it have to the Realms? Thanks in advance.

-- George Krashos

George,

I intended the temple moved by Kesson Rel to the Plane of Shadows to be from another world/plane. It is also a temple to the god known in Faerun as Mask (not Shar).

I realize my extra-planar origin story runs afoul of the whole "multiple astral/multiple god" concept that is currently part of FR cosmology, but I'll be candid and tell you that I dislike that whole concept. It strikes me as something invented to "save" the Lolth of Faerun when the Lolth of Oerth was "killed." In the end, it's a bit too Kang the Conquerer for me (though his problem was more a multiple timestreams issue). I prefer to think that the idea of multiple astrals/multiple gods is an attempt by Faerunian sages to put a conceptual framework around something they don't and can't fully understand -- namely, the nature of divine entities. The upshot (in my own mind) is that the multiple god/multiple astral framework is a partial truth, but misses the more fundamental underlying nature of the Gods, which actually allows for the same, singular divine entity to exist across planes/worlds, with full knowledge of his or her multiple existences. Or so sez I.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 18 Jan 2006 14:07:16
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  18:50:32  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would offer that I see no conflict at all with a temple in the Shadow Plane originating from another world or universe. In 3E there is only one Shadow Plane and it connects all the worlds and universes together, despite separate Astrals. In fact, the Shadow Plane is probably the best plane on which to find buildings/people/things from other worlds or crystal spheres.

Your explanation does not run afoul of any current rules, and it works equally well for a 2E scheme as the 3E scheme.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  19:45:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I would offer that I see no conflict at all with a temple in the Shadow Plane originating from another world or universe. In 3E there is only one Shadow Plane and it connects all the worlds and universes together, despite separate Astrals. In fact, the Shadow Plane is probably the best plane on which to find buildings/people/things from other worlds or crystal spheres.

Your explanation does not run afoul of any current rules, and it works equally well for a 2E scheme as the 3E scheme.

What you fail to realize, is that Paul said he prefers that the named beings are the same named beings across the cosmologies. I.E, there is not thousands of Lloths, there is just one and she is multisphereic. And you and I both know that this is not how it is in current canon, as Paul said.

Now, please stop debating with people every time they mention something they disagree with about the Tree. And this is my only warning to you, don't highjack this thread with your debates about the Tree. If you persist, I will remove your posts.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Jan 2006 23:10:32
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  22:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a sidenote ... I never read that "killing" of Lolth on Oerth myself, but AFAIK, it was not the goddess herself which was killed, but only her avatar. I don't know whether the F&A rules apply for the AD&D deities in general, i.e., only a deity can kill a deity and it has to do this on the deity's home plane too.
Without looking for a hijack and just out of interest ... when did the "killing" happen (which novel) and was that after the intro of 3E? If not, I would take my version, as Lolth is included in (Core = Greyhawk's) Deities and Demigods which in turn suggests that she was not herself slain.
Anyway, a strict split of the pantheons of the settings would be a good idea, and I for one would have no problems because of simple namesakes here and there.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 18 Jan 2006 22:42:10
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  01:58:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing that up Paul, and mea culpa re confusing Mask and Shar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  03:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Praise the gods....Paul Kemp is a comic book fan, and an Avengers fan to boot (as only we care two whits about Kang the Conqueror to mention him).

Steven
The dyed-in-the-wool Legion of Super-Heroes and Avengers fan of long-standing....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  03:20:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm so not going to go off on my tangents about divergent realities and entities who are in charge of monitoring alterate realities (i.e. Immortus), but let me also say, Paul, you were cool before when you quoted Led Zepplin . . . but you are indeed even cooler now!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  05:35:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Praise the gods....Paul Kemp is a comic book fan, and an Avengers fan to boot (as only we care two whits about Kang the Conqueror to mention him).
Just thinking about Kang gives me a headache... especially when it comes to the "timestreams" issue.

I always have a little laugh at the "theory" that suggests Kang is actually one of future selves of the 20th century's Doctor Doom .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jan 2006 05:37:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  08:10:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the ether between worlds -- a lost post to Mr Kemp from VonRaventheDaring -

quote:
Hello mr Kemp,
I have to say i am a big fan of your work, i really enjoyed the Cale trilogy, and love him as a character. I like the authentic real thief feel you give him not that typical thief in a box kinda feeling that some writers give their rouges. I loved the psion as well in your story and was wondering how the awakening of the mythral that was alive will effect things. Was that a loose thread for another book by you (hopefully), or for others. I am a fan of the psionic and i would love to see more done with them, which is why i was glad to see you use one in your book. Was that a choice you decided right away or did you wrestle with the option for a while?
I hope you keep up the good work and i look forward to your next novel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  15:15:21  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
... when did the "killing" happen (which novel) and was that after the intro of 3E? If not, I would take my version, as Lolth is included in (Core = Greyhawk's) Deities and Demigods which in turn suggests that she was not herself slain.

Those events occurred in "Queen of the Demonweb Pits," a Greyhawk novel.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  15:17:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I try to combine my passions, Steven, so each time I sit down to write a new FR novel, I think of the Avengers, then Faerun, then shout: "Seven Sisters assemble!"

I find it gets me in the mood (as only the Seven Sisters can).

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  15:26:41  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

From the ether between worlds -- a lost post to Mr Kemp from VonRaventheDaring -

quote:
Hello mr Kemp,
I have to say i am a big fan of your work, i really enjoyed the Cale trilogy, and love him as a character. I like the authentic real thief feel you give him not that typical thief in a box kinda feeling that some writers give their rouges. I loved the psion as well in your story and was wondering how the awakening of the mythral that was alive will effect things. Was that a loose thread for another book by you (hopefully), or for others. I am a fan of the psionic and i would love to see more done with them, which is why i was glad to see you use one in your book. Was that a choice you decided right away or did you wrestle with the option for a while?
I hope you keep up the good work and i look forward to your next novel.

VonRaventheDaring,

Indeed the "awakening" of the Sakkors mythallar is a plot thread that will be picked up in my next Cale series, called, "The Twilight War." The first book of that series, "Shadowbred," will be released in late 2006.

Magadon the mindmage (psion) will feature in "Shadowbred," as will Riven, Cale, and (cue the Imperial March from Star Wars) the Shadovar.

I would not say that I wrestled with including a psion, but I did give it a fair amount of thought. Psionics are not common in the Realms (excepting certain commonly psionic races), and I have too much regard for the integrity of the setting to simply throw in a psionicist without some explanation. So what is my explanation? Magadon's fiendish origin. His command of psionics is primarily attributable to his unique bloodline, being the spawn of an Archdevil. He is, in many ways, one of a kind, or at least a rare breed.

Hope that answers your question.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  13:24:53  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

I try to combine my passions, Steven, so each time I sit down to write a new FR novel, I think of the Avengers, then Faerun, then shout: "Seven Sisters assemble!"

I find it gets me in the mood (as only the Seven Sisters can).

Paul

You don't know how much willpower it took not to make the tel'Teukiira's marks/badges not be rings of flying stamped with the Blackstaff's wizard mark....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  13:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

[quote]Originally posted by The Sage

Magadon the mindmage (psion) will feature in "Shadowbred," as will Riven, Cale, and (cue the Imperial March from Star Wars) the Shadovar.

I would not say that I wrestled with including a psion, but I did give it a fair amount of thought. Psionics are not common in the Realms (excepting certain commonly psionic races), and I have too much regard for the integrity of the setting to simply throw in a psionicist without some explanation. So what is my explanation? Magadon's fiendish origin. His command of psionics is primarily attributable to his unique bloodline, being the spawn of an Archdevil. He is, in many ways, one of a kind, or at least a rare breed.

Hope that answers your question.

Paul

Now youve done it

Everytime I read Telamont speaking in a novel Im going to hear Peter Cushings English ascent!

Tying Magadons heritage to his outsider bloodline also quit fitting in historical sense to

Back in the days of 1ed almost all of the Devils and Demon had Psionic powers

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  09:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Paul

Just managed to finish Midnights Mask, it's an excellent novel. It was a fitting conclusion to Cale's first trilogy, nearly every moment kept me on the edge of how things would turn out. Ultimately, I was left with a satisfied feeling at the end.
At least for now, it was kinda nice to see Aziim survive, there's something about in him which wants him to have a one more round before going down in style. The brain vs brawn partnership of Aziim and Dolgan was hilarious.
A bit sad about Jak but was left with a teasing feeling he's not out of the picture yet.
Looking eagerly forward for the next series.
If you don't mind me wondering, why so long gap between their release?

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2006 :  06:59:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul, from your point of view in writing, do you still go by the old "Faiths and Avatars" versions of clergy of various gods, and specifically, do you use this as a guideline for Mask's clergy. For example, under Mask's clergy in Faiths and Avatars, Mask has LN, N, CN, LE, NE, and CE clerics in his church. Just wondering from what perspective you veiw this particular issue. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  10:47:50  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings Paul

Just managed to finish Midnights Mask, it's an excellent novel. It was a fitting conclusion to Cale's first trilogy, nearly every moment kept me on the edge of how things would turn out. Ultimately, I was left with a satisfied feeling at the end.
At least for now, it was kinda nice to see Aziim survive, there's something about in him which wants him to have a one more round before going down in style. The brain vs brawn partnership of Aziim and Dolgan was hilarious.
A bit sad about Jak but was left with a teasing feeling he's not out of the picture yet.
Looking eagerly forward for the next series.
If you don't mind me wondering, why so long gap between their release?

Lauzoril,

Thank you. I'm pleased you enjoyed MM.

I think the gap between releases is just SOP with WotC. A book a year appears to me to be the norm. It also works well with my non-writing schedule. Anything more than a book a year would be hard for me to do.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  10:55:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Paul, from your point of view in writing, do you still go by the old "Faiths and Avatars" versions of clergy of various gods, and specifically, do you use this as a guideline for Mask's clergy. For example, under Mask's clergy in Faiths and Avatars, Mask has LN, N, CN, LE, NE, and CE clerics in his church. Just wondering from what perspective you veiw this particular issue. Thanks!

KEjr,

I definitely prefer the old rules to the new "one-step" rule. So, yes, inasmuch as I think about alignment at all when writing, I think about it with the F&A framework in mind.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  23:56:34  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings again Mr.Kemp

Regarding your novel "Midnight`s mask" which i just finished:
Damn what a book! Got to hand it to you sir, you sure know how to keep a guy on edge throghout a week of reading. I dont know how to properly explain it, this book just moved me in ways one rarely get to experience. I had similar feelings when i just finished "Homeland" once upon a time in the 90`s, "Death of the Dragon", "Prince of lies" and "The last mythal" trilogy.
You seem to have a nack of keeping the reader in suspence throughout your novels, thus reading like a possesed demon all until the end, when i finally can let out a satisfied sigh.
Personally, i think "Midnights mask" was a worthy conclusion to this part of Cale`s story. All of your characters seemed to have real, tangible dimensions to them. Jak`s fear, the way Cale was torn between.. can i call it good and evil? The way i thought i had Riven`s mindset and person pinpointed, only to have him take a new, and completely different direction(I just loved that scene when he came back to see to his dogs, the dialogue he had with that scribe.. made me grin :) . Magadon`s thrustworthiness, and exciting heritage. This all makes this a unique and thrilling experience, which im gonna highly recommend to all my Realms-dwelling friends.
Finally, a few queries: (AND POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!)

1. DO you plan to include Magadon in the upcoming trilogy? and/or further explore his fiendish heritage?
2. Did the demise of Jak upset you when you made your decision to make him..well.. dead? and when did you come to that conclusion?
3. Whats the recipy for Jak`s mom`s potato soup?
4. Will the upcoming trilogy contain any meetings with already known characters of the Realms?
5. Will you include the god Mask more physically? To have him appear before cale or riven, or do you refrain from using Gods in direct contact with your storyline?

well, that was all i had. Please continue to write those very(VERY) exciting novels! i am enjoying every minute i spend experiencing you works of art.

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  10:22:41  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Finally, a few queries: (AND POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!)

1. DO you plan to include Magadon in the upcoming trilogy? and/or further explore his fiendish heritage?
2. Did the demise of Jak upset you when you made your decision to make him..well.. dead? and when did you come to that conclusion?
3. Whats the recipy for Jak`s mom`s potato soup?
4. Will the upcoming trilogy contain any meetings with already known characters of the Realms?
5. Will you include the god Mask more physically? To have him appear before cale or riven, or do you refrain from using Gods in direct contact with your storyline?

Elfinblade,

Thank you very much.

1. Magadon is in the next trilogy and yes, I will explore his heritage a bit more.
2. It didn't upset me, exactly. But it is hard to let a central character go. I had decided on Jak's fate more or less at the beginning of the trilogy. In fact, if you re-read the Skullport sections of Dawn of Night, you'll see that Jak spots a halfling there who reminds him of a dead uncle. That was actually a vision of Brandobaris.
3. I'll have to use a speak with dead spell and ask her.
4. Yes, because it features the Shadovar, which means the Twelve Princes and Telamont.
5. On this one, you'll have to wait and see. Sorry about that.

Thanks again, Elfinblade.

Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000