Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  12:09:36  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In fact, if you re-read the Skullport sections of Dawn of Night, you'll see that Jak spots a halfling there who reminds him of a dead uncle. That was actually a vision of Brandobaris.

ooh, got to look that up :)

quote:
On this one, you'll have to wait and see. Sorry about that.

This is going to be so exciting :) cant wait!
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  18:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off Mr. Kemp, I doubt you've seen me (either here or the WotC forums), but I've been praising your Erevis Cale trilogy to hell for the past three years, and Midnight's Mask was fantastic. As Drasek Riven is my favorite FR novel character, you figuratively had me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole novel.
Twilight Falling is still my favorite (just because of the gritty, Sembian/professional feel to it), but the entire trilogy was awesome. The Fane of Shadows' concept was just plain great. An ephemeral vault of prizes, and the gallery of deities of the darkness was the best part of it IMO.

I'm kind of cheating here since I'm more bent on praising you rather than inquiring, but I did bring a question or two.

If you're entitled to answer, is our triad of heros from the ECT returning as the main protagonists in The Twilight War series, or will they take a lesser role?
And secondly, IIRC, the ECT was created because Cale was such a popular character from the Sembia line, right? Is there any chance Riven will get a spin-off?
Anyway, I suppose you'll let us know of the fate of the Wayrock temple of Mask. Does it have it's own name? A mantle? A moniker? A schtick?

PS- I liked your depiction of Mask in the Fane of Shadows. A more human-like (aka empathic) version of him we've seen. And I like it just as much as Brom's Mask in Faiths & Pantheons. And by the way, I would LOVE to see Lockwood's take on Riven and your avatar of Mask.

Thanks a bunch Paul, and please forgive my eager and possibly overbearing post, for you are up with Elaine Cunningham as my favorite FR author(s).

Take care, and may the gods be with you.

Edited by - Aquanova on 14 Feb 2006 21:35:51
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  15:26:52  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

If you're entitled to answer, is our triad of heros from the ECT returning as the main protagonists in The Twilight War series, or will they take a lesser role?
And secondly, IIRC, the ECT was created because Cale was such a popular character from the Sembia line, right? Is there any chance Riven will get a spin-off?
Anyway, I suppose you'll let us know of the fate of the Wayrock temple of Mask. Does it have it's own name? A mantle? A moniker? A schtick?

PS- I liked your depiction of Mask in the Fane of Shadows. A more human-like (aka empathic) version of him we've seen. And I like it just as much as Brom's Mask in Faiths & Pantheons. And by the way, I would LOVE to see Lockwood's take on Riven and your avatar of Mask.

Aquanova,

That is not overbearing in the least. Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, Cale, Riven and Mags will return for the Twilight War and will feature prominently. Kesson Rel will appear, too. And so will the Shadovar. And the fate of the Wayrock temple to Mask will be made known.

As for Riven getting a spin off, I don't know. But he will be one of the protagonists in The Twilight War, so you'll get to see plenty of him there. After that, we'll have to wait and see.

Hey, thank you for recommending my stuff to your friends. That is a big deal to me. Much appreciated.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  18:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put together some informations that Paul mentioned over the last 4 pages about THE TWILIGHT WAR Trilogy:

"The Twilight War" will pick up some threads established in "Midnight's Mask" (the third and final book of the first Cale trilogy) and will feature the surviving characters from that book (as well as some others). It will also feature the Shadovar of Thultanthar and events of significance for all of the Realms. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to say much else at this time.

Unfortunately, I can't reveal much about "The Twilight War." (of course not Paul )Kesson Rel will appear, and, since the Shadovar are integral to the plot, Telemont must needs appear. But as for motives or more on the plot, I'm not yet allowed to say.

Indeed the "awakening" of the Sakkors mythallar is a plot thread that will be picked up in my next Cale series
Magadon the mindmage (psion) will feature in "Shadowbred," as will Riven, Cale, and (cue the Imperial March from Star Wars) the Shadovar.

And the fate of the Wayrock temple to Mask will be made known.

As for Riven getting a spin off, I don't know. But he will be one of the protagonists in The Twilight War, so you'll get to see plenty of him there. After that, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by - Lameth on 16 Feb 2006 18:56:46
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  20:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Aquanova,

That is not overbearing in the least. Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, Cale, Riven and Mags will return for the Twilight War and will feature prominently. Kesson Rel will appear, too. And so will the Shadovar. And the fate of the Wayrock temple to Mask will be made known.

Hey, thank you for recommending my stuff to your friends. That is a big deal to me. Much appreciated.

Paul

Sweet. Oh yeah, I forgot to ask-- how did Riven get back to Selgaunt from the Wayrock? I suppose there was a spare boat on the island, or Cale simply warped him back?

And no problem advertising. I have to pull my weight in this operation too, eh?

Such a testing wait it will be for the Twilight War, but it's all good. Ah... to sit with the elders of a gentle race... all will be revealed....
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  20:43:11  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask-- how did Riven get back to Selgaunt from the Wayrock? I suppose there was a spare boat on the island, or Cale simply warped him back?

Excellent! In fact, Riven used an item retrieved from the remains of the Sojourner. A ring, specifically. This will show up in Shadowbred.

And then this:

quote:
"Ah... to sit with the elders of a gentle race... all will be revealed...."

Look at you, getting the Led out. I've got some readers with fine musical taste.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  12:24:35  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER:

Paul, since the next trilogy about Cale will involve the Shadovar, I presume that the Sakkors Mythallar will show up there. Am I right in my assumption that Ssessimyth will also pop up?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  13:54:41  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Khorne,

Correct and correct.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  14:03:27  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Can you tell us in wich year (DR of course) this new RSE-trilogy will be set?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  15:11:19  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi,

Can you tell us in wich year (DR of course) this new RSE-trilogy will be set?

Thanks.

Skeptic,

Not entirely set in stone just yet. If and when I can provide that info, I definitely will.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  18:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Look at you, getting the Led out. I've got some readers with fine musical taste.

Paul

Heh, what can I say-- my mother raised me to good music. I take it you too worship the pantheon of music deities (Sabbath, Zeppelin, Floyd, et al)?

Eh, have you ever heard of the Hitman line of games? I love them, and their protagonist strikingly reminds me of Cale. Both tall, skilled, bald, white assassins, trained from childhood in their trade. If you like video games (keyword "if"), you may want to check them out. Very very good games.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  17:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER

Hi Paul,

I just finished "Resurrection" and wanted to congratulate you on an excellent last novel in the WotSQ-Saga. A very touching and interesting end. There's something about your writing-style that makes saying good-bye to characters you get attached to (f.e. Jak Fleet or Pharaun) not such a worse thing (as we're talking about music at the moment, I had "Fix You" by Coldplay as soundtrack going along with the last 50 pages and it made me very sentimental).
Is there any possibility of seeing some of the characters (perhaps a clone of Pharaun? ) in other stories or is that up to R.A. Salvatore do decide?

Yours,
Braveheart

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  13:53:20  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Braveheart,

Thank you. As or seeing the characters again: Thomas Reid and Lisa Smedman are each writing a spin-off series -- the former featuring Kaanyr and Aliisza, and the latter featuring the Lady Penitent.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 20 Feb 2006 13:54:00
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  21:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Braveheart,

Thank you. As or seeing the characters again: Thomas Reid and Lisa Smedman are each writing a spin-off series -- the former featuring Kaanyr and Aliisza, and the latter featuring the Lady Penitent.

Paul

Ah, thanks for that splended bit of news .

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  22:15:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Khorne,

Correct and correct.

It will be amusing to see the shadovar come to claim the mythallar, only to run into a kraken that`s well....huge. How big is Ssessimyth, by the way?(in meters, not feet, please)

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  23:33:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In meters not feet? [Adopt Scottish accent...NOW!]: It's frickin' 'uge!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  10:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye, that'll do me!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  00:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No kidding! Almost the size of Selgaunt? That's approaching the size of small capital ships from Star Wars...
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  14:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No kidding! Almost the size of Selgaunt? That's approaching the size of small capital ships from Star Wars...

Veeeerrryyy BIG Monster with a little sun in the forhead!!!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  00:54:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul, I was just wondering how you pictured the rest of the Fleet family meeting their ends. In my campaign, my PCs ended up visiting Stumphill, got used to eating at Mrs. Fleet's, and then were devestated when they found out that Stumphill had been raided, apparently by drow, but actually by the Eldreth Veluuthra. Somehow, I'm guessing you had something more sedate in mind.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  11:02:05  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Much bigger than a blue whale?

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  16:07:04  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

As big as Selgaunt.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  21:17:25  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Khorne,

Yes. Several times larger than a blue whale, and just in the trunk and head. The tentacles (especially the longer outer two) are much longer than that even.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  21:20:09  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Paul, I was just wondering how you pictured the rest of the Fleet family meeting their ends. In my campaign, my PCs ended up visiting Stumphill, got used to eating at Mrs. Fleet's, and then were devestated when they found out that Stumphill had been raided, apparently by drow, but actually by the Eldreth Veluuthra. Somehow, I'm guessing you had something more sedate in mind.

KEjr,

I did have something more sedate in mind for Jak's mother -- just a gentle passing from age. Jak's had enough adventure for the whole Fleet clan, so I figured the fates would allow the rest to travel in and out of Faerun in peace.

Your version sounds more interesting, though!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  19:07:22  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Khorne,

Yes. Several times larger than a blue whale, and just in the trunk and head. The tentacles (especially the longer outer two) are much longer than that even.

I have a slight feeling the shadovar are going to be a wee bit surprised when they turn up to claim the Mythallar..... How do you even kill something that big?!!

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  19:38:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You summon an even bigger monster, of course. Like, um ...Bane. Or you make it drink "Mike's Insanity Sauce"

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 28 Feb 2006 19:39:02
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  21:34:24  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

. Or you make it drink "Mike's Insanity Sauce"

Known in the DMG as a "Potion of Fire Breath."
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  19:35:17  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have a slight feeling the shadovar are going to be a wee bit surprised when they turn up to claim the Mythallar..... How do you even kill something that big?!!

A spell of dehydration? At least that worked on some *ahem* dragons in a computer game.

Edited by - Braveheart on 01 Mar 2006 19:35:40
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  20:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings again!

Dunno whether it has been adressed already, but has there been anything said by the Wizards (designers) in response to what the Sojourner did to Selūne's tear? Any "fall out" on Faerūn, both in events and possibly items/material? In any case, it should get a mention in the Realms' calendar, shouldn't it?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 13 Mar 2006 20:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Kaysae
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  23:29:18  Show Profile  Visit Kaysae's Homepage Send Kaysae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Mr. Kemp!

I have recent finished reading The Erevis Cale Trilogy and I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The praise from the scribes here (and your work on Resurrection) prompted me purchase the paperbacks. The Sojourner disgusted me, literally. I have never been moved to that degree by the antagonist of a novel, so, very well played on your part.

I did have one question, and a further comment.

First, in the Fane, the statue of Mask was missing a leg. Did The Caretaker go out there and hack it off or did the temple reshape itself to reflect the current troubles of the Shadowlord?

Moving on. As I read the books, I could almost see the writing on the wall. One thing continually got reinforced to me as the novels went on: Mask will get the Intrigue portfolio back. (I'm saying that's the feeling I got, not what you meant.) If it must happen, I can only humbly request that Cyric puts up some semblance of a fight and not be mowed down like his followers were in the trilogy (and prelude short story).

In anycase, you have a loyal reader! Shadowbred will eagerly purchased in hardcover format.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000