Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  19:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul- Thanks for the prologue, your prose is getting better and better, you better watch it or someone might think that the Wizards of the Coast authors are turning into real writers, how will I turn my head in shame when eyed up reading a FR novel on the Metro! Hell whats next? Women playing D+D, yuck yuck!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  18:02:13  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm trying my hand at creating a website. My livejournal is embedded and I've added discussion forums. If you are interested, you can find it here: http://home.earthlink.net/~paulskemp/paulskempshomepage/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  10:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zmartwychwstanie? Well, Lolth will like that. Taking over the Poles as well, I mean.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 26 May 2006 10:00:48
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  15:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul

Im currently putting together a Timeline of the Realms recent history (1372-1374) but unfortunately Wizards didnt date stamp most of the books, including yours.

There are a number of events in your novels that I need Realms dates for to add them to the Timeline and I was wondering if you could help me out

The events are

The date when Sojourner's Slaads used the Weave Tap in Skullport and the date when Sojourner caused the eclipse

The date Lolth started granting spells again

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6623 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  03:53:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The events of Paul's last Cale trilogy occur in 1373 DR from about April onwards for a couple of months.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
36773 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  04:09:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you mean Tarsakh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  05:53:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Don't you mean Tarsakh?



Or maybe it's Ukta :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  06:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The events of Paul's last Cale trilogy occur in 1373 DR from about April onwards for a couple of months.

-- George Krashos




ideally Im looking for a day for each of the events

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6623 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  07:42:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
ideally Im looking for a day for each of the events



Umm, good luck.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
36773 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:47:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Don't you mean Tarsakh?



Or maybe it's Ukta :)



Good one!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  23:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
ideally Im looking for a day for each of the events



Umm, good luck.

-- George Krashos




Im only after a couple of dates not a blow by blow chronology of the whole trilogy

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  02:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like Paul has escaped from the Drow and rejoined us so Ill bump realmslore request to him!



Paul

Im currently putting together a Timeline of the Realms recent history (1372-1374)

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7930

but unfortunately Wizards didnt date stamp most of the novels, including yours.

There are a number of events in your novels that I need Realms dates for to add them to the Timeline and I was wondering if you could help me out

The events are

The date when Sojourner's Slaads used the Weave Tap in Skullport

The date Sojourner stole the Tower of Eclipse

the date when Sojourner caused the eclipse

The date Lolth started granting spells again

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  18:11:44  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dargoth,

We never pegged exact dates to the various events. The entire trilogy occurs in a short span of time in 1373 -- maybe early summer to early autumn. Sorry that I can't do much better.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  00:40:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Dargoth,

We never pegged exact dates to the various events. The entire trilogy occurs in a short span of time in 1373 -- maybe early summer to early autumn. Sorry that I can't do much better.



Hmmm I might have to come up with some unofficial dates for Cales trilogy then....

Any ideas on when Lolth started granting spells again?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  14:24:33  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Any ideas on when Lolth started granting spells again?



Dargoth,

I'm sorry to report that I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  09:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All we need to know is that she grants spell again

Anyway, it would be a good idea if the Wizards could decide on a date regarding this, as the question comes up time and again, here and on the WizBoards.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  11:12:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul:

Absolutely loved Shadowbred, and it engendered a few questions, so I thought I would throw them out here.

Question number one, innocuous and inane as it might be, is this (Spoilers for Shadowbred): A few months ago, you mentioned Led Zepplin as giving you some inspiration. When I read Shadowbred, for some reason the feelings that Cale had for Mask reminded me of the Alice Cooper song "Stolen Prayer," and his encounter with Mask in the alley reminded me of "Nothing's Free." I was just wondering if you ever listened to Alice, or if you were familiar with the above mentioned songs.

Question number two, I was just wondering, as you seemed to touch on this on your blog, how writing this novel was different with the "Under one Roof" situation at WOTC with novels and sourcebooks, and specifically if you were privy to the "mega adventure" from next year. When Riven mentions Cyric being busy with something big, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Thanks Paul!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  14:13:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Paul:

Absolutely loved Shadowbred, and it engendered a few questions, so I thought I would throw them out here.

Question number one, innocuous and inane as it might be, is this (Spoilers for Shadowbred): A few months ago, you mentioned Led Zepplin as giving you some inspiration. When I read Shadowbred, for some reason the feelings that Cale had for Mask reminded me of the Alice Cooper song "Stolen Prayer," and his encounter with Mask in the alley reminded me of "Nothing's Free." I was just wondering if you ever listened to Alice, or if you were familiar with the above mentioned songs.

Question number two, I was just wondering, as you seemed to touch on this on your blog, how writing this novel was different with the "Under one Roof" situation at WOTC with novels and sourcebooks, and specifically if you were privy to the "mega adventure" from next year. When Riven mentions Cyric being busy with something big, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Thanks Paul!



KEjr,

I'm pleased you enjoyed the novel. I could not quite tell whether you did or didn't from your comments on the final chapters in the Book Club thread.

I have not heard those songs by Alice Cooper. Interesting that you raise AC, though -- on my drive home yesterday the eclectic radio station I listen to played "Only Women Bleed," which I had not heard in ages.

On the "under one roof" subject -- you know, I've never had much difficulty with conflict between games/novels, though that is perhaps due to the fact that I've never done an RSE before.

I have been privy to some of the details of the upcoming mega-adventure. I think (fingers crossed) that you're going to see some interesting references in it to some of the things from the Cale Trilogy (and I can say no more).
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  21:43:42  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, for whatever its worth, I just started Shadowbred and it's excellent. I found the prologue riveting. Most fantasy books, including FR books, have a decent storyline and fight scenes, but a good book that doesn't make. What makes it is believable characterization, and that prologue was amazing. Unfortunately, I can think of at least a dozen FR novels where the characters act like players in a real D&D game or a video game and not like real people thrown into a difficult situation, but only a few achieve the kind of characterization I think we should expect from professional writers. You're books have done so and you're work just gets better, so thank you for sharing your works with us.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  23:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui!

Just noted another thread over at the WizBoards (FR Magic, Deities ...) where someone asked what a chosen of Mask would look like. Now, to my knowledge, none has been officially created as yet, though one reply says that ... you guessed it ... Erevis is a Chosen of Mask. Would you view him as such ... or have him as a Chosen in your books?*

*Somehow this reminded me of The Mummy II and the scene in that wagon, just before the three rogues met Imhotep in "person": "this is cursed, that is cursed, there's a curse" As in: Hardly any half-decent novel character** gets away these days without being made or thought off as a Chosen of this or that deity.

** Obviously, Erevis is hardly "half-decent", but I would not view him as a Chosen.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  05:58:13  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Paul, for whatever its worth, I just started Shadowbred and it's excellent. I found the prologue riveting. Most fantasy books, including FR books, have a decent storyline and fight scenes, but a good book that doesn't make. What makes it is believable characterization, and that prologue was amazing. Unfortunately, I can think of at least a dozen FR novels where the characters act like players in a real D&D game or a video game and not like real people thrown into a difficult situation, but only a few achieve the kind of characterization I think we should expect from professional writers. You're books have done so and you're work just gets better, so thank you for sharing your works with us.



Tom,

It's worth a lot, particularly coming from you. Thank you very much.
I hope the rest of the novel holds up for you. I took some chances (in the form of what I regard as unusual choices) in this novel, so I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts, should you care to share them.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  06:14:08  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui!

Just noted another thread over at the WizBoards (FR Magic, Deities ...) where someone asked what a chosen of Mask would look like. Now, to my knowledge, none has been officially created as yet, though one reply says that ... you guessed it ... Erevis is a Chosen of Mask. Would you view him as such ... or have him as a Chosen in your books?*
** Obviously, Erevis is hardly "half-decent", but I would not view him as a Chosen.



Zanan,

Cale is pretty clearly a "Chosen," but that term can mean different things to different folks in the context of a novel. It also highlights one of the issues that arises in writing fiction set in a game world. "Chosen" is a status that has a fairly clear meaning in game terms, but users of the term within the fictional reality that is the Realms might use it with much less precision. In Midnight's Mask, for example, I have one of the characters group proxies, chosen, and seraphs into one big pile that might be just as well described as "specially selected servitors of the gods." The game materials distinguish readily between those three things, but speakers in the Realms might use them interchangeably (albeit imprecisely and, arguably, incorrectly).

Another example -- Magadon refers to himself as "tiefling" throughout the Cale trilogy, but in game terms he could not be a tiefling (sidenote: he does this as a coping mechanism, primarily). He is the direct spawn of an archfiend. In game terms he is at least a half-fiend and perhaps something even more. But speakers in the Realms might use the word "tiefling" in a much less precise way (as people are wont to do) -- to describe an entire range of persons with some degree or other of fiendish blood in their heritage.

Here's the upshot of my view: I give great respect to the rules, but I always keep in mind that the rules, as such, are really a rough attempt to systematize and make playable an underlying fictional reality created by Ed that is very complex and not necessarily perfectly reflected in those rules. So I want to give them due respect, but I don't want them to be shackles.

Consider this (while I'm rambling on the subject): When Ed wrote Spellfire, spellfire did not exist in the published rules. Only later did the rules capture spellfire for purposes of game play. Similarly, when Bob wrote The Crystal Shard, the rules provided no mechanism for a dwarven warrior like Bruenor to create a minor artifact weapon like aegis-fang, yet create it he did. Wouldn't both of those books have been very different creations if Ed and Bob had looked at the rules and decided that, because the rules did not provide for those significant events, that the fiction therefore could not contain them?

Again, due respect, but not a straightjacket.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  09:28:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui!

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for being imprecise here. I was referring to him as "Chosen" in game terms, rather than someone "being chosen". In this respect, many high level clerics, paladins et al may be viewed as "chosen" of their respective deities, no doubt about this. So in this respect, I have no problems seeing Erevis as being a chosen of Mask. Only this template stuff is being stretched quite a bit time and again - hence the initial irritation.

Regarding Bruenor, I am actually not sure how the creation of magical stuff was handled in AD&D - the time of Aegisfang's creation. In 3E, the dwarf might have faced a problem, but nothing I could not handle as a DM with e.g. the introduction of a say magical anvil and hammer instead of caster levels of the creator.

On another note, at the end of WotSQ we had eight aspects of Lolth holding their judgement on the survivors. Lolth herself was / is a dark elf in her true form, so would you envisage these eight aspects merge to somehow reform as the dark elf Lolth or stay seperate ... not that this really is an important thing for a goddess?

Zanan

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 17 Nov 2006 09:30:03
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  23:33:56  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Shadowbred, and found it to be particularly riveting. The only complaint I have is that the next book isn't on the shelf at the bookstore right now

I do find myself missing Jak, though. Any plans to include a short story from his past in any anthologies or maybe in Dragon?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  01:58:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp



I'm pleased you enjoyed the novel. I could not quite tell whether you did or didn't from your comments on the final chapters in the Book Club thread.

I have not heard those songs by Alice Cooper. Interesting that you raise AC, though -- on my drive home yesterday the eclectic radio station I listen to played "Only Women Bleed," which I had not heard in ages.

On the "under one roof" subject -- you know, I've never had much difficulty with conflict between games/novels, though that is perhaps due to the fact that I've never done an RSE before.

I have been privy to some of the details of the upcoming mega-adventure. I think (fingers crossed) that you're going to see some interesting references in it to some of the things from the Cale Trilogy (and I can say no more).




Sorry, let my inner Alice Cooper geek seep out there. "Only Women Bleed" is a great song, but I can't recall EVER hearing it on the radio. And for some reason everytime I DM and run necromancers I hear "I Love the Dead" and "Sick Things" in my head . . . but hey, thats just me.

Definately looking forward to seeing the references, especially after the great job you did of working in so many current events in the first few chapters of this novel. Increadible start to the trilogy Paul.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  13:51:03  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chance87

I just finished Shadowbred, and found it to be particularly riveting. The only complaint I have is that the next book isn't on the shelf at the bookstore right now

I do find myself missing Jak, though. Any plans to include a short story from his past in any anthologies or maybe in Dragon?



Chance,

I'm very pleased you enjoyed the novel. On the subject of Jak -- I've actually queried WotC on the possibility of doing a "prequel" series, featuring each of Cale, Riven, Jak, and (to a lesser degree) Magadon, and set in the time before the events of the Sembia series. Not sure if that will happen or not, but you never know.

Incidentally, it sounds like you've read the books of the Erevis Cale Trilogy? When I saw you had only a few posts on CK, I'd hoped maybe you had not, only because I'm curious about how readers who have not read the Cale Trilogy enjoyed (or did not enjoy) Shadowbred. I don't think I've heard from any of those readers yet (so if you are one and you're reading this, please sound off ).

Paul
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  14:50:07  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Afraid not! I started reading Realms fiction with the Moonshae trilogy, and have managed to consume almost every novel since within a few weeks of it hitting the shelf.

I would love to see a prequel series featuring these characters. You've dropped enough hints about their past to make me very intrigued at the possibility. I have to admit, I've very curious about Riven's past, and the time he spent with the Zhents.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Chance,

I'm very pleased you enjoyed the novel. On the subject of Jak -- I've actually queried WotC on the possibility of doing a "prequel" series, featuring each of Cale, Riven, Jak, and (to a lesser degree) Magadon, and set in the time before the events of the Sembia series. Not sure if that will happen or not, but you never know.

Incidentally, it sounds like you've read the books of the Erevis Cale Trilogy? When I saw you had only a few posts on CK, I'd hoped maybe you had not, only because I'm curious about how readers who have not read the Cale Trilogy enjoyed (or did not enjoy) Shadowbred. I don't think I've heard from any of those readers yet (so if you are one and you're reading this, please sound off ).

Paul

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  21:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Paul:
You have to write 100 more FR books. Your work is great.

Please send me the first Chapters of the second book of the Twilight War Trilogy immediately
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  09:46:33  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, After not winning your comp for a pre-release copy of shadowbred I have finally got a copy on order. I am looking forward to reading it and have only just avoided the book club. I hope it's as good as I think it will be..

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  13:47:26  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

@Paul:
You have to write 100 more FR books. Your work is great.

Please send me the first Chapters of the second book of the Twilight War Trilogy immediately



Thanks, Lameth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000