Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  13:48:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Paul, After not winning your comp for a pre-release copy of shadowbred I have finally got a copy on order. I am looking forward to reading it and have only just avoided the book club. I hope it's as good as I think it will be..

Delz

Delz,

I hope you find it good, too. Let me know (either here or in the book club).
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  04:36:06  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, the only problem I had with Shadowbred is that it ended! And of course the ending was as torturous as Dawn of Night's. I have so much praise for this book I don't know where to start, so for now let me just say it exceeded my high expectations.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  11:20:08  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Paul, the only problem I had with Shadowbred is that it ended! And of course the ending was as torturous as Dawn of Night's. I have so much praise for this book I don't know where to start, so for now let me just say it exceeded my high expectations.

Well, that is certainly good to hear. Thank you, Xysma.

If you do get to where you want to discuss some particulars, I'll meet you for an ale in the book club.
Go to Top of Page

Sarephim
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  00:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Sarephim's Homepage Send Sarephim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That scene in Shadowbred where he was knife fighting with Mask in the alley had me laughing on the floor. The ending was excellent, I could just see Mr.M with that sardonic smile of his. I think what I liked most; however, was the entire shedding of light on Telamont and his sons. Being a fan of Telamont that I am this was a treat. Overall I must give it a 10/10 for being superbly written and well done. Congradulations Mr. Kemp on another excellent read.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  10:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye for thy comments, Sarephim. However, please try to keep specifics of Pauls current novel in a spoiler thread. Preferably the Book Club here at Candlekeep, or if ye can't recall that particular part of the book thou art refering to, then feel free to add it to the general spoiler thread in the novels section.

Thanks ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  17:50:28  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarephim

That scene in Shadowbred where he was knife fighting with Mask in the alley had me laughing on the floor. The ending was excellent, I could just see Mr.M with that sardonic smile of his. I think what I liked most; however, was the entire shedding of light on Telamont and his sons. Being a fan of Telamont that I am this was a treat. Overall I must give it a 10/10 for being superbly written and well done. Congradulations Mr. Kemp on another excellent read.

Saraphim,

Thank you kindly. Much obliged.

As Alaundo says, pop on over to the Book Club for Shadowbred if there are any other questions I can answer for you.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  15:42:41  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Paul, After not winning your comp for a pre-release copy of shadowbred I have finally got a copy on order. I am looking forward to reading it and have only just avoided the book club. I hope it's as good as I think it will be..

Delz

Delz,

I hope you find it good, too. Let me know (either here or in the book club).

Hi Paul, Shadowbred has finally landed!!! I shall let you know what I think ASAP.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  22:30:02  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, allow me to jump on the bandwagon.... Paul, I finished Shadowbred over the Thanksgiving break (I'm a slow reader) and it was great. I am now eagerly anticipating the sequal and glad I bumped Shadowbred to the top of my pile of books to read. It's fascinating to see the slow growth of the characters and in particular the relationship with Mask. Congrats and thanks again for sharing your story with us.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  00:08:01  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Well, allow me to jump on the bandwagon.... Paul, I finished Shadowbred over the Thanksgiving break (I'm a slow reader) and it was great. I am now eagerly anticipating the sequal and glad I bumped Shadowbred to the top of my pile of books to read. It's fascinating to see the slow growth of the characters and in particular the relationship with Mask. Congrats and thanks again for sharing your story with us.

Thanks, Tom. Much appreciated.

And that bandwagon, modest little donkey-drawn affair that it is, can never have too many people on it, as far as I'm concerned.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  00:34:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hi Paul, Shadowbred has finally landed!!! I shall let you know what I think ASAP.

Delz

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts, Delz.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  21:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bravo on Shadowbred. I am loving the story so far.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  13:40:36  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Bravo on Shadowbred. I am loving the story so far.

Thanks, WM. Much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  14:22:21  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Delz

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts, Delz.

It is rare indeed to find an author who while being a keen observationalist and descriptive writer has the power to envoke so much feeling in the words he writes!

Paul,

I have only read the first part, having a 5mth old son keeps you busy. But I have utterly enjoyed the opening to this book. Though the Hin have never been a favorit of mine, you seem to capture the view that whilst "wee" they are not all LotR cherubs.

I am keen to keep reading if my son and wife let me!

Delz

oops prehaps this should have been in the book club section ... Sorry.

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 29 Nov 2006 14:23:59
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  17:50:02  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]
I have only read the first part, having a 5mth old son keeps you busy. But I have utterly enjoyed the opening to this book. Though the Hin have never been a favorit of mine, you seem to capture the view that whilst "wee" they are not all LotR cherubs.

I am keen to keep reading if my son and wife let me!

Well, I hope it holds up for you, Delz, and look forward to your comments.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  16:14:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, just wanted to check in and say thank you for writing Shadowbred. With your previous books I've somehow felt that although the style of writing have been very good, the "mood" of the stories hasn't been quite to my liking, and so they've been fairly slow reads for me - Shadowbred though...3 hours straight through. I just couldn't put it down, and that ending... Can't wait for the next instalment.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  17:42:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Paul, just wanted to check in and say thank you for writing Shadowbred. With your previous books I've somehow felt that although the style of writing have been very good, the "mood" of the stories hasn't been quite to my liking, and so they've been fairly slow reads for me - Shadowbred though...3 hours straight through. I just couldn't put it down, and that ending... Can't wait for the next instalment.

Kajehase,

Well, thanks for reading it!

More seriously, thank you kindly. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

I am curious, though -- I've always considered the mood of the Cale stories to be fairly consistent throughout, up to and including Shadowbred. What specifically about Shadowbred seemed different to you? I know the focus is bigger, and there is some "light" in it in the form of Abelar, but is there something else? (You know, I suppose those two things alone give a reader a bit more breathing room than did the Cale Trilogy, which rarely let up from a fairly sharp edged approach).

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts, if you'd care to expand on them.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  21:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul, just thought you'd like to know I just bought Twilight Falling and it looks awesome!!!!!! (half singing voice used to emphasize awesomeness). By the way, your profile/bio still makes me laugh. I keep saying, "How does this guy write this stuff?" You must be writing notes at work with an imagination like that. Well, take it easy.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  13:57:35  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Hey Paul, just thought you'd like to know I just bought Twilight Falling and it looks awesome!!!!!! (half singing voice used to emphasize awesomeness). By the way, your profile/bio still makes me laugh. I keep saying, "How does this guy write this stuff?" You must be writing notes at work with an imagination like that. Well, take it easy.

WM,

I hope you enjoy Twilight Falling and the rest of the Cale Trilogy. Be sure to drop back into the thread and let me know.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  06:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm.... I had a question. If you have already mentioned this, I apologize, I just couldn't find it on the boards.

I remember in the Shadowbred book club you stating that you "broke the WotC writing rules" twice in Shadowbred, and once was when you wrote in first person. What is the other instance? I didn't see anything else that jumped at me. Curious scribes want to know.

thanks

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  15:01:57  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

Hmmmm.... I had a question. If you have already mentioned this, I apologize, I just couldn't find it on the boards.

I remember in the Shadowbred book club you stating that you "broke the WotC writing rules" twice in Shadowbred, and once was when you wrote in first person. What is the other instance? I didn't see anything else that jumped at me. Curious scribes want to know.

thanks

MK,

I guess it wouldn't really jump out, but the WotC style guide does not ordinarly allow for the appearance of gods in current novels (with El in Hell an exception, I believe). So the "alley scene" was a departure from that. It's also my favorite scene from the novel, so I'm glad it got in.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  17:53:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

MK,

I guess it wouldn't really jump out, but the WotC style guide does not ordinarly allow for the appearance of gods in current novels (with El in Hell an exception, I believe). So the "alley scene" was a departure from that. It's also my favorite scene from the novel, so I'm glad it got in.

Paul

Ah,

Now this explains Ed's comment to me at this years Spin a Yarn. No, I can't say more, ya'll just have to wait until WOTC publishes 2006's Spin a Yarn and then I'll answer. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  05:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that was a deviation from the writing styles. I am also very glad it also made the cut into the book.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  03:42:50  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul it has been a long time since I have posted anything in The Keep.I just have to break my silence,and tell you that Shadowbred was tremendous!I'll try not to spoil anything,but I really enjoyed Cale's encounter in the alley with a certain someone.That was a treat.

Cale has come a long way it seems from his butler days at Stormweather.As a matter of fact so has Riven.IMO they're a pretty good duo.You've done a really good job with them.Actually I really like where you are going with them.It's been a very enjoyable series all together.I am highly anticipating Shadowstorm this year,and Shadowrealm afterwards.Where are you at with both novels so far?Can you give any snippets of what to look forward to???

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  17:09:38  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Paul it has been a long time since I have posted anything in The Keep.I just have to break my silence,and tell you that Shadowbred was tremendous!

Where are you at with both novels so far?Can you give any snippets of what to look forward to???

Thank you, Ved. Nice to hear from you. It has been a while, hasn't it?

As for where I am: I'm finishing up the first draft of Shadowstorm. then I'll turn to Shadowrealm. I've outlined the whole series in broad strokes, but have not yet done a chapter by chapter outline for Shadowrealm. I do have the ending scenes sketched out, though. Can't wait to write them.
Go to Top of Page

heretikalshade
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  17:51:34  Show Profile  Visit heretikalshade's Homepage Send heretikalshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey this is my first post in the forums and I just want to say that you Paul are the greatest author in the Realms and how much I appreciate it that someone actually wrote a trilogy and more with a shade as the main character because in Return of The Archwizards there were shades but not in a scope where you could see all of their abilities.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  18:41:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heretikalshade

Hey this is my first post in the forums and I just want to say that you Paul are the greatest author in the Realms and how much I appreciate it that someone actually wrote a trilogy and more with a shade as the main character because in Return of The Archwizards there were shades but not in a scope where you could see all of their abilities.

HS,

Welcome to the forums! I'm delighted you've enjoyed my books. And I'm doubly pleased that you think highly of my writing. As for being the "best," well, that makes you and my wife who think so.

I'm curious: Did you read Shadowbred without having read the Cale Trilogy, or did you come to it after reading the Cale Trilogy?

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 17 Jan 2007 01:31:17
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  23:15:18  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading the scene,and saying to myself,"How did Paul get away with having the divine in his book?"I wasn't aware that WoTC had a style guide that frowned upon using the divine in novels.I have noticed that current novels,and I mean going back a few years now(I could be wrong),when a god appeared in a novel.That's what I am forming my question around.That the divine hasn't appeared in a novel in a while.I was thinking that our sages were just getting away from using them.That's why the "alley scene" jumped out at me.Plus I have always like the diety in question very much.So how did you get away with getting that scene put into the novel,Paul??????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  16:37:42  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I remember reading the scene,and saying to myself,"How did Paul get away with having the divine in his book?"I wasn't aware that WoTC had a style guide that frowned upon using the divine in novels.I have noticed that current novels,and I mean going back a few years now(I could be wrong),when a god appeared in a novel.That's what I am forming my question around.That the divine hasn't appeared in a novel in a while.I was thinking that our sages were just getting away from using them.That's why the "alley scene" jumped out at me.Plus I have always like the diety in question very much.So how did you get away with getting that scene put into the novel,Paul??????

Ved,

I just sent it along and asked my editor to read it all the way through before making the call as to whether we could include it. After reading it, he agreed that it belonged in the book. :-)

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  16:40:27  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All,

For a variety of reasons I am going to end my participation on the forums at Candlekeep. If you would like to contact me, please shoot me a mail at paulsvantekemp@yahoo.com (I am diligent about responding to emails) or visit my blog at http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/.

If a Mod or Admin would lock this thread, I would be grateful.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  16:49:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we're sorry to see you go. Know that you are always welcome here, and we'll be happy to reopen this thread should you decide to return to our halls.

And thank you for the time you have given us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000