Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  00:48:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
And with the absolute, utmost respect for Elaine, you can't hold the position that only moon elves can wield moonblades when you've given one to a half-elf. As Elaine alluded to - there's got to be room in the sandbox for everyone.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  01:13:18  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
Going by that logic Krash, we'll soon see one in the hands of the drow.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And with the absolute, utmost respect for Elaine, you can't hold the position that only moon elves can wield moonblades when you've given one to a half-elf. As Elaine alluded to - there's got to be room in the sandbox for everyone.

-- George Krashos

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  02:26:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I see your point, of course, but there are reasons why Arilyn, a half elf of moon elf heritage, inherited a moonblade.

Throughout the Songs & Swords books, it is made very clear that Arilyn's sword is seriously FUBAR. It was dismantled after Princess Amnestria's union with a human resulted in two things: the creation of the elfgate, with disastrous results, and the conception of a half-elf child. In fact, Arilyn's conception and the creation of a new power for the moonblade were simultaneous events, and Queen Amlaruil never ceased to hold this against Arilyn. After King Zaor's assassination, a bitterly grieving Amlaruil decreed that the moonstone--a gem that acts as a conduit for magic--be removed from the sword's hilt and put into the keeping of Bran Skorlsun, Amnestria's human lover. The primary purpose of this was to weaken the gate between the mainland and Evermeet enough that it could be obscured and protected, but it was also a punishment--it effectively kept Bran away from Amnestria, who still carried the moonblade.

But tampering with an artifact is never a good idea--you can never been completely sure what the result will be. One of the unforseen results was the strengthening of the link between the sword and the child: Arilyn was linked with the moonblade long before she claimed it. Had the sword been whole, she could not have done so. This is never overtly stated, but the hints are there throughout the Songs & Swords books.

The misbehaving moonblade was a central plot point of ELFSHADOW, so it should come as no surprise that the sword was not exactly functioning as designed. The fact that Kymil Nimesin could further mess with the sword's magic makes it plain that its powers were seriously awry. Also, Arilyn relates to Danilo an incident from her youth, when she raised the moonblade against a young gold elf tormenter. The sword turned on her, which she took to be evidence that the moonblade would not allow itself to be raised against an innocent person. That gold elf's subsequent actions, however, made it plain that he was not an innocent. (Big hint to readers, there.) The moonblade was restored at the end of ELFSONG, and when we next see Arilyn, in SILVER SHADOWS, she temporarily returns the moonblade to a previous wielder. After that, (in the four-year interim between that book and the events of DREAM SPHERES) we are told that the sword became increasingly tempermental. Toward the end of DS, the sword turns on Arilyn and she was nearly fried. (Sound familiar?) She receives healing, but she's unable to wield the moonblade again during the final events of that story. It is assumed that the sword is defective--it is, after all, a tampered-with artifact--but it's also possible that the converse is true: the sword is slowly returning to its original state, and is functioning as it was designed to. What that means for Arilyn is a topic for another story, should such come about.

Now, stepping away from the overall series arc for a moment to consider the moonblade's role in ELFSHADOW. Giving Arilyn a moonblade was meant to emphasize and amplify the usual half-elf's dilemna of being neither fish nor fowl. Arilyn was daughter of moon elf royalty, the only part-blooded elf ever to wield a moonblade, yet most elves wouldn't give her the time of day. She is in a unique position, and that molded her into an extremely solitary person.

This point is undercut--nay, nearly obliterated--if every good-aligned gold elf, forest elf, drow, or half orc paladin of Sune with a heart of gold and tusks to match* is able to carry a moonblade.

Moonblades have become so popular and so common I half expect to see hand-written signs in the taverns of Waterdeep's Dock Ward to the effect of, "Good fish-scaling knife wanted. Will trade for moonblade."

But, it is what it is. Though the expansion of moonblades in game products does undercut the purpose of the moonblades as I originally envisioned them, I am keenly aware that it would be churlish to complain overmuch that ANY addition to FR lore that I've been priviledged to make has become "too popular." I'm just happy people want to read these stories, and incorporate some aspects of them into their home campaigns.

*Elaith's musings, taking from "Games of Chance," DRAGON #335

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 05 Sep 2005 02:44:14
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  02:36:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Ah dear sweet Elaine, we love you for your wit. Just to let you know, I had at least one player in my campaign, my step son, who had a lythari sorcerer who desperately wanted a moonblade (his sister explained what one was based on playing Baldur's Gate and running into Xan, then asking me what I knew about them). His lythari ran into several sages who informed him that A) we aren't even sure such things truly exist, or that they exist any more (human and half elf sages) B) all of the lore that they were privy too clearly pointed out that an elf not of moon elven heritage would surely be obliterated by them (he breifly was thrilled, since the sages mistook him for a moon elf and then told him he may have a chance to claim one, then the party druid took great glee in informing him that said consulted sages did not realize that the elf in question was a lythari).
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  02:45:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Hmm . . . just rereading over the description of the Starym Moonblade, it pretty clearly mentions that it had been tampered with due in part to the god Moander. If Amlaruil's tampering with the moonblade that Arilyn inherited, it seems that a god tampering with a moon blade might allow a sword to accept a gold elf as well, without damaging Elaine's original intent.

The interesting thing in all of this is that we don't know that the account that Azariah read in the "official" version of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical mentioned anything but that the moonblade was demanded by the Starym family and accepted its wielder, which could lead to very dangerous assumptions on the part of Elaith's young heir.

(Doing my part to maintain diplomacy between all of my favorite Realms Sages . . . )
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  02:49:55  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message
I love the concept of the Moonblade. And, in Evermeet, wasn't it told that the Seldarine had deemed that only moon elves could wield the blades because that is how the King of Evermeet would be decided - hence all the Gold Elves being really upset?

Or did I make this up in my head? Been known to happen!

And let me also chime in: A book on that trio of Elven women would be awesome!!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  02:57:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
Moonblades have become so popular and so common I half expect to see hand-written signs in the taverns of Waterdeep's Dock Ward to the effect of, "Good fish-scaling knife wanted. Will trade for moonblade."

How about a sign that reads..."Have Moonblade, willing to trade for a Chosen of (Insert name of God here)." The latter is another theme that seems to come up in many games I see talked about online.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  03:03:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

How about a sign that reads..."Have Moonblade, willing to trade for a Chosen of (Insert name of God here)." The latter is another theme that seems to come up in many games I see talked about online.

Here's a tack--there's still some room on the front doorpost.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  07:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
Well, I'll accede the moonblade lore to Elaine, as she's their original creator as such. I most likely misinterpreted things from Evermeet when I was putting together Cormanthyr and made the blade rituals overbroad for all the elven races.

I have no problem with GMs who want things more open in their own games, but so far as Elaine and I are concerned, they're no non-moon elven wielders of moonblades any more (if there ever were....and consider it 90% spin by gold elves at any case).

Gods, I'm tired and I don't know why I'm posting right now. Time to pack up soon and crash....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  08:41:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Well, I'll accede the moonblade lore to Elaine, as she's their original creator as such. I most likely misinterpreted things from Evermeet when I was putting together Cormanthyr and made the blade rituals overbroad for all the elven races.
I wouldn't say it's a misinterpretation as such... merely an alternative viewpoint. Certainly, the "overbroad" working for the moonblade rituals were necessary for the material focusing on Cormanthyr. One could say that the rituals for all the elven races always existed -- it is simply the working of history and the loss of knowledge itself that made many future generations of elves believe they were tied only to moon elves.

quote:
I have no problem with GMs who want things more open in their own games, but so far as Elaine and I are concerned, they're no non-moon elven wielders of moonblades any more (if there ever were....and consider it 90% spin by gold elves at any case).
I don't think I would allow it. I prefer the moonblades to be rare occurences... and EC's original thinking on this helps me to justify it for my games.

quote:
Gods, I'm tired and I don't know why I'm posting right now. Time to pack up soon and crash....
Maybe this is all just a DREAM!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  14:27:16  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Just to point..

The Starym that picked up the moonblade was a moon elf. An evil moon elf, but a moon elf. Then he let Moander fry the part of the blade that judges worthiness. The gold elves came after the tempering.

You might say that from that moment it stopped being a normal moonblade, but became something else. Something that resembles a moonblade but one that has gone Fubar.

And we all know how fun a Fubar artifact can be.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 05 Sep 2005 14:27:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  14:52:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

The Starym that picked up the moonblade was a moon elf. An evil moon elf, but a moon elf. Then he let Moander fry the part of the blade that judges worthiness. The gold elves came after the tempering.
Here's some thoughts from Elaine back in March 2004 -

quote:
Volo puts out as much misinformation as information, which necessitates the occasional footnote from Elminster to contradict some of his claims. I treat Volo's work as entertaining tavern tales, some of which may be true. It is my opinion that the Starym Moonblade is one of the more fanciful tales, and that this sword does not, in fact, exist. The notion of a gold elf blade "gone bad" is simply too contradictory to ring true.

[...]

No, you're right: the original creators of the moonblades had the moon elf race in mind. Nearly every wielder of these swords has been a full-blooded moon elf. The exception is Arilyn, a half-elf. A possible future exception is Azariah Craulnober, who takes after her mother, a gold elf and who may or may not be able to claim the sword Elaith holds in trust for her.

Of course anyone may change Realmslore to suit his or her campaign, but the following reflects my understanding of moonblades.

No new moonblades will ever be created, with or without the blessing of the elven gods. They have served their purpose; their time is past. This doesn't mean that new swords with similar powers can't be created, but they will not be moonblades.

Sirius is correct in saying that only three swords have been named. (Keep in mind that I'm discounting the Starym moonblade as apocryphal lore.)

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  15:32:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I don't think I would allow it. I prefer the moonblades to be rare occurences... and EC's original thinking on this helps me to justify it for my games.

I'd keep them rare and limited to moon elves, too.

If I was DM'ing, I don't think I'd ever use a moonblade. They are cool, but the only way to properly include one, I think, would be as a major focus of the campaign. And I just don't have any ideas for that, right now.

Though I will admit, I am planning a short story that involves a moonblade... The sword isn't a major part of the story, though; it's mainly a plot device to get the group where I want them. The elf who claims it might not even draw it before he (and the blade) leave the story...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Sep 2005 15:35:38
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  16:25:45  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
What kind of elvish uber-swords except the moonblades exist?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  16:59:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

What kind of elvish uber-swords except the moonblades exist?

There's a couple listed in the 2E source Elves of Evermeet. I think Tahlshara was the most powerful. It's a +8 two-handed sword. It lowered a person's AC (in 2E, lower was better), acted like a +5 vorpal sword, and could cast a number of powerful spells -- including High Magic.

Go to Top of Page

Killashandra
Acolyte

South Africa
24 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  16:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Killashandra's Homepage Send Killashandra a Private Message
Hello!

I think this is the best thread for thise one. If I'm reading Evermeet correctly, Lamruil (sp) is off to establish the elvish commuinity on the mainland, but Evermeet will still need a ruler after Ammaruil (sp again) is gone.

Now, she's very spiffy indeed and likely to live quite a long time, but she could still die right? Lamruil is out of the question, he's off to rule on the mainland.

So it seems to me that the next king of Evermeet by blood would have to be Elaith's son with Ammenstria (still sp). And in Evermeet, Lamruil forsees that possiblity. I guess what I want to know is if Lamruil finding the boy anytime soon is on the cards?

And I know NDA's *sigh* but am I on the right path in my musings at least?

He's not evil, he's just...alternativly aligned.

A Kiwi fruit: Take a hamster, shave it's hair so that only stubble remains, cut off it's head and feet and there you go!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  19:54:21  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Killashandra

Hello!

I think this is the best thread for thise one. If I'm reading Evermeet correctly, Lamruil (sp) is off to establish the elvish commuinity on the mainland, but Evermeet will still need a ruler after Ammaruil (sp again) is gone.

Now, she's very spiffy indeed and likely to live quite a long time, but she could still die right? Lamruil is out of the question, he's off to rule on the mainland.

So it seems to me that the next king of Evermeet by blood would have to be Elaith's son with Ammenstria (still sp). And in Evermeet, Lamruil forsees that possiblity. I guess what I want to know is if Lamruil finding the boy anytime soon is on the cards?

And I know NDA's *sigh* but am I on the right path in my musings at least?

Yes, Amlaruil could die; no, Lamruil isn't out of the question; yes, Amnestria's son is high in the royal succession. I can't comment on whether or not the hidden prince will make an appearance anytime soon. Nor can I comment on his actual place in the succession, other than to observe that not all of Amlaruil and Zaor's lost children are quite as "lost" as some might think...

Heh heh...
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  02:53:16  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message
Elaine,

That's just mean to us elf-lovers!

I understand the secrecy, though... thanks for the clearing up of a few things (since I was going to ask half those questions myself!)

Hope everything is great!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Killashandra
Acolyte

South Africa
24 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  12:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Killashandra's Homepage Send Killashandra a Private Message
Oooooo, no fair, so tantalizing and so little!!!!! But thanks none the less <g>

In Evermeet, Lamruil did bond with Zoar's sword right? Does the king of evermeet have to have that moonblade? Or, now that the moonblade has done its job, can it be anyone of Zoar's blood?

A Kiwi fruit: Take a hamster, shave it's hair so that only stubble remains, cut off it's head and feet and there you go!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  15:20:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Not ANYONE; in fact, I have a theory about of some of those mysterious deaths among Zaor's heirs. Is it possible that the "official story"--or at least, the version the elves were willing to let Danilo Thann record in the novel EVERMEET--did not reflect what actually happened to some of those royal heirs?

I envision the King Sword, in its current state, as a final test of fitness to rule Evermeet. I think it's entirely possible that some ambitious princes or princesses desired to make a claim to the succession. I ALSO think it's possible that some siblings, having seen this occur, said, "Screw THIS--I am so out of here." In both cases, the elves are hardly likely to advertise. Better to speak of storms at sea, scorned princesses who pined away, and other mishaps. Sure, some humans might observe that Evermeet's royal family seems to be dogged by an enormous amount of misfortunate and a tendency to misplace their princes and princesses, but I suspect the elves prefer it this way.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  15:52:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
I envision the King Sword, in its current state, as a final test of fitness to rule Evermeet. I think it's entirely possible that some ambitious princes or princesses desired to make a claim to the succession. I ALSO think it's possible that some siblings, having seen this occur, said, "Screw THIS--I am so out of here." In both cases, the elves are hardly likely to advertise. Better to speak of storms at sea, scorned princesses who pined away, and other mishaps. Sure, some humans might observe that Evermeet's royal family seems to be dogged by an enormous amount of misfortunate and a tendency to misplace their princes and princesses, but I suspect the elves prefer it this way.

And for any gamers out there, such hints or theories should offer a great deal of inspiration if they ever wish to have a game focusing on elven politics. Thanks for sharing this theory.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Killashandra
Acolyte

South Africa
24 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  16:29:53  Show Profile  Visit Killashandra's Homepage Send Killashandra a Private Message
Ooooo, that's an awesome theory!!! Love it :-)

Hmmm, that interferes with my theories a bit though, because if Lamruil did claim the sword, no one else can claim it, so it would have to be him.

Go to Top of Page

Goki
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  15:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Goki's Homepage Send Goki a Private Message
I have to ask... while I have yet to read Book II and III of Starlight and Shadows (Book I was enjoyable, Sos'Umptu was my favorite character :)... it seems like Liriel Baenre is about to become "good". I've read that the Drow are the most vicious and cold killers in all of the Underdark (perhaps even in all of Faerun), and in all of the Drow related fiction I've read (big fan of the Drow), I've enjoyed the novels that stayed within the Drow's domain (IE: Homeland by R.A Salvatore). And whilst reading much of the Drow related fiction, Drizzt Do'Urden (and to a lesser extent Zaknafien Do'Urden), through extraordinary characteristics, seemed to be the only deviation(s) from the Drow's typically hollow and vicious temperament.
While Liriel is a unique character in her own right... the transistion to "good" puts me off slightly and I can't help but feel that Liriel is just another "Drizzt"...
May I ask why you chose Liriel to follow in the footsteps of Drizzt? In particular... why did you chose a Drow?

And why are authors hesistant to write stories centered around a protagonist who is a "bad-guy" (or gal for that matter) and remains one?

Edited by - Goki on 16 Sep 2005 16:26:54
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  16:28:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
In short, I was asked to write about a drow; specifically, a young drow female of high family who goes off and has adventures on the surface. The editor chose me for this project because he considered me the person LEAST likely to create a Drizzt-like character. (What that says about me, or at least his perception of me, is a matter for another discussion... )

Consider Bob Salvatore's definition of the genre: "Fantasy = Good Wins." Perhaps the reason you see so few fantasy tales told from the perspective of a victorious villain is that such tales are, for the most part, beyond the bounds of traditional fantasy. These tales have their roots in folklore and mythology, which seek to make sense of life's questions and impose some logical form on chaos. Granted, there are sub-genres of modern fantasy that seek "realism" through sordid detail and grim conclusions. Even in S&S fantasy, audience tastes are veering more toward "dark" and "gritty"--two of the most overused descriptive terms in existence--so you can find a number of recent exceptions. But this is the exception, not the norm. Evil is usually vanquished, whether in the form of a villain, or as part of the protagonist's character growth and development. The struggle between good and evil often takes place, at least on one level, in the heart of a heart. This is a classic component of "hero tales," of which fantasy is a contemporary incarnation. Even Luke Skywalker had to enter the cave (a metaphor for "going within") to face his own dark nature before he could complete his Jedi training.

Redemption is present in much of fantasy. It's not uncommon to see "bad" or "neutral" characters come over to the side of the angels. Going back to the original Star Wars trilogy: In Episode IV, it was Han Solo. Lando in Episode V, and of course, Darth Vader in Episode VI.

It is not IMPOSSIBLE for evil to win in fantasy, or for the story to be told from the point of view of an evil character who remains evil. There are enough examples to prove that it can be done. But it is more common to find this sort of story in the horror genre.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 16 Sep 2005 19:46:44
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  16:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
And why are authors hesistant to write stories centered around a protagonist who is a "bad-guy" (or gal for that matter) and remains one?
Because it's a contradiction in terms. The idea of a villainous protagonist is lexically null: it simply can't be parsed within the grammar of story.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  17:43:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've never thought Liriel was overly much like Drizzt. Drizzt is very lofty and noble, trying to hold himself to high ideals. And he's always been like that...

Liriel started out simply being someone with rather loose morals, and a well-developed sense of fun. She wasn't making a stand against evil, as Drizzt was, she was just looking to have a good time. She didn't want to bother with being evil...

It was her interactions with Fyodor and others that lead her down the path to goodness. She's still got hard edges, even after following that path for a while...

So, while Liriel is like Drizzt in that both are good drow, I don't think it can be said that they are the same or that Liriel followed in Drizzt's footsteps.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  18:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
...and Wooly says all that I will say. There are only two things that put Drizzt and Liriel as "equals": both are drow, and both are good. But, as sentient beings, they, as everyone, are formed by a multitude of feelings, toughts, behaviours, moral and conduct codes, conscience... I thing that is very hard to compare two persons, even in fiction. Liriel and Drizzt are two very diferent stars in the constelation of the faerunian heroes.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  19:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
So, while Liriel is like Drizzt in that both are good drow, I don't think it can be said that they are the same or that Liriel followed in Drizzt's footsteps.

One has but to read some of the theories about what would happen if Liriel and Drizzt were to meet (which I recall rather vividly from a while ago) to understand exactly how different Liriel and Drizzt really are, eh, Elaine?

I don't know how "good" a drow Liriel is -- I always thought of her as more pragmatic and middle-of-the-road (Chaotic Neutral, in game terms) with some tendencies toward good. She's more governed by whim and pragmatism than any kind of moral principles.

Within Elaine's work, I see the most fascinating good vs. evil, redemption vs. corruption struggle in Elaith Craulnober. In ways, I find him more drow-like than even Liriel.

Anyway.

quote:

Speaking for my own philosophy on the subject, it's just not the kind of fantasy I write -- so far, anyway. I'm with you, Elaine, on this one -- there's a distinction that needs to be drawn.

I write dark fantasy, yes, but it's all about redemption and hope, even in the darkest of night.

When evil wins out, absolutely, you get a story that is less like fantasy and more like fantasy-horror.

Ravenloft is like this, and the War of the Spider Queen heads that way as well. (If you want a narrative with some real blood-thirsty drow, by the way, I'd check out the epic 6.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 16 Sep 2005 19:57:16
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  20:03:28  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message
I don't think a meeting with Drizzt and Liriel would go all that well either. Remember, Liriel is riding with her soul sisters, and unless something has changed, Thorn would most likely try to kill Drizzt on sight.

And if they did get through all of that - they have such cross values that they would never be able to hang out or adventure together.

Every Drow that comes to the surface has their reason, and it's not always the same.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  20:21:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
This is probably as good a time as any to re-post what has become my standard response to a should-Drizzt-meet-Liriel question:

Liriel: (Oo! Cute little drow toyboy! Thank you, Eilistraee, goddess of the butt-neckid moonlit dance.)

Drizzt: (Danger! Matron-in-the-making! Strengthen me, Mielikki, whose unicorn favors the chaste and virtuous.) ::draws his two scimitars::

Liriel: ::sniffs:: "Put away the cutlery, honey, and take a look at THESE twins..."

::At this inopportune moment, Catti-brie walks in, and the ensuing catfight makes the season three showdown between Buffy and Faith look like a sorority tea party.::
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000