Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  16:02:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Summer's just about here, and it looks to be a very busy few months...

So, what with one thing and another, I'll be taking a break from message boards. I'll stop by Candlekeep from time to time, but I won't be as prompt about answering questions as I have been these last few months.

Sweet water and light laughter to you and your family this summer. I look forward to your return when you have the free time.

quote:

Enjoy the summer, and I hope to see some of you at GenCon!

Anyone who goes and greets Mrs. Cunningham be sure to interrogate, I mean demand, I mean politely ask, any/all questions about the Waterdeep novel.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2004 :  19:35:36  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:

Summer's just about here, and it looks to be a very busy few months. I've got an insane writing schedule planned, a busy travel schedule, an intensive German review, a Dreamweaver class, several web projects, and a grueling get-back-into-shape-after-all-these-damn-illnesses regimen. It's also the last summer before my oldest son goes to college, and I plan to make the most of our family time.

No more cats?

Have a great summer, Ms. Cunningham, and makes sure they don't work you too hard - you've got three novels (mentioned above) and a Zz'Pzora anthology to pitch to WotC!
Seriously - enjoy the yourself, if possible.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  03:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:

Summer's just about here, and it looks to be a very busy few months. I've got an insane writing schedule planned, a busy travel schedule, an intensive German review, a Dreamweaver class, several web projects, and a grueling get-back-into-shape-after-all-these-damn-illnesses regimen. It's also the last summer before my oldest son goes to college, and I plan to make the most of our family time.

Grrrr.....

Elaine, dear lady, you know I love you to pieces, really I do...

But by the Nine Hells, I shall make you pay for getting "Dreamweaver" stuck in my head! Gods, how I hate that song!

Steven
Who really hates getting crap songs stuck in his head, but he forgives Elaine simply because she and he share the secret of exactly what Laeral's and Khelben's tattoos say and where they are placed

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  03:19:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Grrrr.....

Elaine, dear lady, you know I love you to pieces, really I do...

But by the Nine Hells, I shall make you pay for getting "Dreamweaver" stuck in my head! Gods, how I hate that song!

Steven
Who really hates getting crap songs stuck in his head, but he forgives Elaine simply because she and he share the secret of exactly what Laeral's and Khelben's tattoos say and where they are placed

I just close my eyes again
and climb aboard the dreamweaver train

I'll stop at any time Steven if you or Elaine start sharing some more Realms secrets with us.... Alas since she's busy, the burden passes to you dear sir.

Sirius (Who wasn't too fond of the song himself until he saw it placed well in a movie).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  03:58:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Steven

TEASE! Come on spill it! GRRR!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Jun 2004 04:01:01
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  06:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Oh, now I must have that future Danilo novel! I'd buy it just because of Danilo, but if there's a sarcastic, aloof cat familiar, I'd be staking out the bookstore until it arrived . . . .

As it is, I'll have to content myself with fixing up my own sarcastic cat familiar character for my Jack Archer character (both the D&D version and the different one for the real story that Mr. Greenwood suggested I write).

And, of course, I have to go see Shrek II. I'm not much of a movie-goer, but if Lady Cunningham recomends it, how can I say no?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  10:17:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Have you any names for this familiar yet, Bookwyrm?

Ah, 'Puss in Boots' . While I was not eagerly anticipating the release of Shrek II, I will make the effort to see this movie purely for this particularly character. I've heard some very interesting tails... tales... sorry...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  15:26:00  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
No questions, just applause

you know how to weave a plot, Mrs Cunningham
and a tangled one at that

this is the end of the world news: sponsored by god
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  01:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
Mrs. Cunningham,

It's your number one groupie here once again to ask something rather inane...however, this time I have a plot question rather than a writing query.

After yet another re-reading of Evermeet..., it occured to me that I had no clue whether or not Lamruil's new elven haven in the icy north ever came to be.

Have I overlooked it? Or is Lamruil's new kingdom an obvious, well established elven nation that I am failing to connect with Lamruil...?

Or...is it still an unhatched egg in your fertile brain?

(How's that for working a little brown-nosing into a question?)

Any clues would be greatly appreciated, oh Divine Mrs. C.....

Arion

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 21 Jun 2004 01:35:21
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  02:45:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Mrs. Cunningham,

After yet another re-reading of Evermeet..., it occured to me that I had no clue whether or not Lamruil's new elven haven in the icy north ever came to be.

Have I overlooked it? Or is Lamruil's new kingdom an obvious, well established elven nation that I am failing to connect with Lamruil...?

Or...is it still an unhatched egg in your fertile brain?

This question has come up before. I recall even Mrs. Cunningham sharing on the old WOTC novel board an idea she had for an idea involving this new kingdom. The impression I've always gotten from Mrs. Cunningham isn't so much that she isn't ready to hatch further details as WOTC has yet to show any interest.

quote:

(How's that for working a little brown-nosing into a question?)

Any clues would be greatly appreciated, oh Divine Mrs. C.....

Not bad. Not bad at all. I'd give it a 9.5, but the French judge only scored it a 6.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  05:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
Damn...I thought my form was flawless...but you know how some judges just have to see the perfect butt-kiss dismount. Oh well...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  18:16:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Whoo hoo! The first draft of the Waterdeep novel is finished, and I'm doing the happy dance of doneness. So before I dive into the next project--a short story that HAS to be finished THIS WEEK--I'm talking a little work time to catch up on emails, check the forums, do some of the email interviews that have been piling up, and so on.

Thanks for the kind words, rumblebelly. BTW, are you also the rumblebelly on the RAS forum, the Turkish translator?

Arion, the story of Prince Lamruil and the kingdom he established has not yet been told. I rather doubt it will be. The emphasis is currently on the establishment of an elven presence on the mainland. The Retreat is over, and talk of a hidden kingdom is. . . out of fashion, for lack of a better term.

Steven, I never heard the song "Dreamweaver" to which you refer, but I apologize for getting a tune stuck in your head. That can be annoying. Why is it, I wonder, that the trite little ditties have such mental adhesion?

To all and sundry: while I'd love to write a novel about Arilyn, Danilo, and Elaith--not to mention a cat familiar for Dan--I really don't see it happening, at least, not any time soon. Folks at WotC have expressed a lack of interest in "going back to the same old wells." If the zeitgeist changes and a story is requested, great, but I no longer have the time or inclination to pitch stories over and over in hope of keeping them on the radar.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  18:38:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Whoo hoo! The first draft of the Waterdeep novel is finished, and I'm doing the happy dance of doneness.

Congrats to both you and Ed Greenwood and thank you for the update.

quote:

If the zeitgeist changes and a story is requested, great, but I no longer have the time or inclination to pitch stories over and over in hope of keeping them on the radar.

Understood, one can still hope though, correct?
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  15:59:49  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
yup yup
I'm that rumblebelly

and I'm beta-reading (and with my weary eyes better reading) my friend's translation of the Tangled Webs over here, the book will hit the shelves soon in Turkey and we're determined to speed up with the publishing of the Windwalker (uhm actually our lagging about the books helped once... ppl won't have to wait years for the next book, hey, no offense pls)

btw we both enjoyed the book, spoilering our chief editor with our Windwalker chatting, who threw up his hands and gave us a "geek geek" signal

PS: I even liked that shakti demon :)

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  20:19:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rumblebelly
...(uhm actually our lagging about the books helped once... ppl won't have to wait years for the next book, hey, no offense pls)

No offense taken; in fact, I'm in total agreement. Just this morning I was thinking back to my younger son's reaction to news of a new book I'd just been asked to write about a "dark elf lady." He asked if she was going to be "mean or nice," which at that age--he was four and in preschool--was his finely nuanced system of chararacter assessment. I had to ponder that question for a moment, then told him, "Well, she's not exactly mean OR nice. I guess you could say she's. . . naughty." He looked scandalized for a moment, then diplomatically conceded, "Well, sometime's I'm naughty..."

This little boy is now over 6'3" tall and a sophomore in high school.

Yeah, I think there was a bit too much of a lag between book 1 and book 3!
quote:
btw we both enjoyed the book, spoilering our chief editor with our Windwalker chatting, who threw up his hands and gave us a "geek geek" signal

Okay, I'll be the first one to ask: What's a "geek geek" signal?

How are the FR books doing in Turkey? There seems to be quite a bit of interest--I've received quite a few emails from readers there, and have done two or three email interviews for Turkish websites. (There's another interview request sitting in my "Things To Do When I'm Finished With Waterdeep" file.) What I find interesting is that the same question always comes up: "How would you respond to a wide-spread impression that fantasy is frivolous, something only for children, and irrelevant to real life?" In your observation, is that a common cultural assumption thereabouts?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  20:28:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
After taking a LONG break, I'm resuming my email newsletters. The June newsletter will go out this weekend.

These mailings are only sent to those who request them. If you'd like to be added to the mailing list, send me an email.
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  21:01:47  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
ah, nice news over here, FR novels are doing great here, I can assure you, (actually FR books started to outshine the best selling DL books ;) ) In Turkey our ppl are (or were) new to the books, and with every book out the number of readers multiplies.

Hmm the "geek geek" signal is given to a person who knows pretty much about something (anything) when he gets into conversation with another geek like himself (or herself, becuz the one who translates your books is a she. A proper thing it is, becuz I think if a she writes the book a she must translate it. in my opinion, at least)

actually I'm so happy to have contact with all of you over there, across the ocean, who writes great books. Hey I grew up with these books :)

ah, and here's a guess-like comment from your translator: she says that Fyodor is the man of your dreams becuz he never snores. She said just that!

Edited by - rumblebelly on 25 Jun 2004 06:09:40
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  21:04:57  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
and about,fantasy genre being considered frivolous and irrelevant to real life over here:

bless the lotr movies !!!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  02:44:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
"Well, sometime's I'm naughty..."

This little boy is now over 6'3" tall and a sophomore in high school.

Which if he's still sometimes naughty, brings about a whole new meaning and bundle of worries for a parent. I've been there, on both ends.
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  06:01:47  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
ah we never quit being naughty
mom still scolds me, "ye're gonna be me little boi, so don't go blustering yer height over me!"

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  13:09:38  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rumblebelly

and about,fantasy genre being considered frivolous and irrelevant to real life over here:

bless the lotr movies !!!

Hear hear!

Which brings me to ask, are you a big fan of Tolkien / the movies / both, Ms Cunningham? His writing style is VERY different from yours.

EDIT: And another not-so-Realmsy question - I know you are / were a Buffy fan. I don't know how far ahead of Britain America is, but we've just said goodbye to Angel - and are left without any hope of future Buffy-related things. Its tough! How are you coping?

Edited by - Sarelle on 25 Jun 2004 13:13:16
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  04:44:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
Which brings me to ask, are you a big fan of Tolkien / the movies

I enjoyed the books and the movies very much. Tolkien was a point of entry for many fantasy writers, a revelation to others. I came at fantasy from several rather different places, but I still appreciate his work.
quote:
I know you are / were a Buffy fan. I don't know how far ahead of Britain America is, but we've just said goodbye to Angel - and are left without any hope of future Buffy-related things. Its tough! How are you coping?

I'm taking it one day at a time. Seriously, I'm relatively new to Buffydom. I watched the show for the first time about a year ago, when I was working on a project that required a familiarity with TV shows set in current time, with a female protagonist and a dark fantasy element. I got the DVDs for the first couple of series of Buffy and watched one episode after another, then got subsequent seasons as they were released. I thought the first season was promising, the second very amusing and very well done, the third somewhat less so, and I didn't get all the way through the fourth. I've never watched Angel--couldn't get excited about a show featuring Cordelia and Wesley.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 26 Jun 2004 04:46:34
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  04:48:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
I've never watched Angel--couldn't get excited about a show featuring Cordelia and Wesley.

I'll agree with you on Cordie. However, the character development of Wesley from his Buffy days, to Rogue Demon Hunter, to one of the most bad you know what's, stands as some of the finest stuff from the Buffy world.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  20:13:57  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Which brings me to ask, are you a big fan of Tolkien / the movies

I enjoyed the books and the movies very much. Tolkien was a point of entry for many fantasy writers, a revelation to others. I came at fantasy from several rather different places, but I still appreciate his work.
quote:
I know you are / were a Buffy fan. I don't know how far ahead of Britain America is, but we've just said goodbye to Angel - and are left without any hope of future Buffy-related things. Its tough! How are you coping?

I'm taking it one day at a time. Seriously, I'm relatively new to Buffydom. I watched the show for the first time about a year ago, when I was working on a project that required a familiarity with TV shows set in current time, with a female protagonist and a dark fantasy element. I got the DVDs for the first couple of series of Buffy and watched one episode after another, then got subsequent seasons as they were released. I thought the first season was promising, the second very amusing and very well done, the third somewhat less so, and I didn't get all the way through the fourth. I've never watched Angel--couldn't get excited about a show featuring Cordelia and Wesley.

Agreed -- seasons 1 and 2 were fun, and 3 (apart from the episode featuring 'the Gentlemen'!) was a travesty. But you dropped off at the wrong point! Seasons 5-8 were turned the show from your average cult teen show to a really exciting, world-building, witty and well-performed series.

Angel went through rocky bits - I didn't get into it until season 2, I think. I too enjoyed Wesley's turn from stereotype-Brit-in-America to gritty, remorseless vampire hunter - but by the final series he had become really boring. But now, no more vampire slaying!

Thanks for answering my (odd) questions.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  20:29:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Agreed -- seasons 1 and 2 were fun, and 3 (apart from the episode featuring 'the Gentlemen'!)

The episode with the Gentlemen, Hush was actually in season four. Thanks for bringing up a fine show. You and Mrs. Cunningham have excellent taste.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  01:58:50  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
Thanks Sirius. I was originally one of those who scoffed at Buffy from afar - but that certainly changed.

Ms. Cunningham: Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I have just finished Windwalker and wish to compliment you on a great, well-written and absorbing trilogy! Truly enjoyed Liriel's edventures.

MAJOR, MAJOR, PEOPLE-WHO-HAVEN'T-READ-WINDWALER-SHOULDN'T-BE-READING SPOILERS BELOW (highlight to read)

I was saddened that both Ysolde and Fyodor had to die - but am very glad that Shakti lived on.

-SPOILER OVER-

A question that I needed to ask:

1) In the book some of the witches use circle magic to forge a special staff for Anya - however I thought, in both lore and stats, the Witches are prohibited from magic item creation (it being the role of the vremyonni. Your thoughts?

And some more questions that again POSSESS MAJOR WINDWALKER SPOILERS, and must be highlighted to be read:

2) I was little confused about the agreement made by Shakti and Liriel - will Shakti impersonate Liriel in Menzo? And if yes will it be to everyone, or to everyone except Triel?

3) Do you have any plans to have Liriel, Sharlarra and Thorn (who I really liked!) appear in future novels, in cameos similar to the ones Dan and Khel made in [i]Starlight and Shadows[i]? I don't know if I'd like a whole novel showing their adventures, but I'd love to catch up with them, if only fleetingly.

-SPOILERS OVER-

Thank you, again, for writing such a lovely trilogy - and for listening to me ramble on these boards!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  12:01:41  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
MAJOR, MAJOR, PEOPLE-WHO-HAVEN'T-READ-WINDWALER-SHOULDN'T-BE-READING SPOILERS BELOW

In the book some of the witches use circle magic to forge a special staff for Anya - however I thought, in both lore and stats, the Witches are prohibited from magic item creation (it being the role of the vremyonni. Your thoughts?

I was thinking more in terms of an attunement than a creation. The Witches work together in circles, and it seems to me that a powerful magical item should be attuned to all, with one Witch, the wielder of that particular object, being the focal point.

quote:
I was little confused about the agreement made by Shakti and Liriel - will Shakti impersonate Liriel in Menzo? And if yes will it be to everyone, or to everyone except Triel?

What you have in this scene is two drow doing what drow do--plotting, trying to out-manuvere each other, setting up Plan B and C contingencies.

Here's how Liriel was thinking: Shakti has told Gromph that Liriel is dead. To all appearances, he accepts this as truth. It's to Liriel's benefit to encourage this tale, since it removes the likelihood of pursuit. If Gromph starts asking too many questions, Shakti has the option of impersonating Liriel, and claiming the sort of return that brought Quental Baenre back to Menzoberranzan. But Liriel knows something Shakti doesn't: without the ability to cast wizard spells, Shakti doesn't have a chance of pulling off this deception. The Windwalker, had it still been hoarding Liriel's spells, would have given her a shot at making the deception work, but without it. . .

From Shakti's point of view, impersonating Liriel was a contingency plan, one unlikely to be used or needed. As long as Gromph doesn't seek either Liriel or the Windwalker, this high-risk plan won't have to be put into action. Of course, since the Windwalker's magic is spent--Shakti didn't know this during the events of the book--there really won't be much of a point. If Gromph wants the Windwalker, Shakti can simply hand it over, since at this point it's nothing more than an antique charm.

This deal between the two of them has a strong element of irony. Shakti believes her ability to walk away from her long-desired vengeance is proof of her newly-acquired strength and focus. She does this from a perceived position of power, because she has every reason to believe she has gotten the better of Liriel. When she gets back to Menzoberranzan, however, she'll soon realize that the Windwalker is worthless. Without it, Shakti loses the ability to impersonate Liriel, so the mask isn't worth much, either. Yes, Shakti has grown in ways that will serve her well, but she isn't as far along as she thinks she is. Liriel outmanuvered her, plain and simple. Liriel's ending comment--that Shakti would become a great matron mother--was also heavily ironic. At the time, Shakti thought it this comment to be grudgingly admiring concession of a defeated rival. She's going to be one pissed-off drow once she figures out she's been had.

But what can she do about it? She has already told Gromph that Liriel is dead, and she certainly doesn't want to be caught in a lie. Any attempts to get together a search party to find Liriel is certain to come to Gromph's ears. Furthermore, Triel has enlisted Shakti to help ensure that word of the changed status of drow magic on the surface is kept quiet for as long as possible. Liriel realizes all of this, and she understands that Shakti has a personal stake in making sure that Liriel is dead to Menzoberranzan.

The bottom line is that Liriel is safe--as safe as any drow on the surface can be--and Shakti has to let this old rivalry go, as much as she might like to pursue it.

quote:
Do you have any plans to have Liriel, Sharlarra and Thorn (who I really liked!) appear in future novels, in cameos similar to the ones Dan and Khel made in [i]Starlight and Shadows[i]?

At present, there are no plans to continue Liriel's story in any form.
quote:
Thank you, again, for writing such a lovely trilogy - and for listening to me ramble on these boards!

Thanks for the kind words. As for the rambling, my pleasure.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 28 Jun 2004 12:03:37
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  13:21:51  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
quote:

well, I'm sure wizards will eventually knock on your door for a new Liriel book

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  16:01:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Do you have any plans to have Liriel, Sharlarra and Thorn (who I really liked!) appear in future novels, in cameos similar to the ones Dan and Khel made in [i]Starlight and Shadows[i]?

So how about Sharlarra and Thorn? I should love to see those two get some more air time, be it together or separate...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  20:26:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
So how about Sharlarra and Thorn? I should love to see those two get some more air time, be it together or separate...

Nope, sorry. In fact, the Waterdeep and the Gorlist story in the upcoming anthology are the only FR tales I've got in the pipeline. Nothing further planned for any of the characters--at least, not at this time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000