Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  07:34:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arios Calbriar

before putting my quill down for the night i would love to also send a greeting to all the scribes here at the keep seeing as this is my first post and say that for a gamer like myself that has been playing for 15 years it is a pleasure to be able to participate on this site ... and lastly i would send a salute to one of the people that i introduced this game to and who has repayed me many times over with his friendship and today with the knowledge of this site... Myst keep shadowsbane sharp my friend.... lol

Ah, welcome to Candlekeep!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  14:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Hi Mrs. Cunningham

Since I was so estatic to be talking to you and had to tell someone about your Raven Mafia story (Yes I actually tried to read thru all 15 pages before posting, I got thru most of it). I told my wife who gladly listened to me rant and rave about you and your plans to do a book with your son and how cool I thought it was that those ravens left your garbage alone. She thought that was VERY COOL and Ravens are now her favorite bird. She also rasied an interesting question how old is your son?? But the reason I'm posting is to ask :
1) Did you know that Elaith is a higher level wizard than rogue (or is it fighter I forget)??<<This is according to the FRCS 3ed book
2) From what I've read about him he rarely uses spells, of course he rarely fights either but when he does out come the knives. So I was curious to know what you consider him to be as far as classes go.??
3) Oh and will we ever find out what his moonblade does? That would be pretty cool info.

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  18:14:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Welcome, Arios! It's a pleasant surprise, this sudden influx of new scholars to Candlekeep. In answer to your question, there are no books in the planning stage focusing on Elaith Craulnober. He does, however, have a small role in the upcoming Waterdeep book I'm writing with Ed Greenwood (release date August 2005.)

Myst, I make it a point not to comment on official gaming stats for characters from the novels. The game designers need to keep the overall picture in mind, and stats have to reflect a balance between the obscenely powerful characters and those who are merely insanely powerful.

To make matters more difficult, complex characters such as Elaith seldom fit neatly into classes and alignments, so it's all an approximation. Then you have characters such as Danilo Thann, who runs around acting like a low-level kind of guy and then, boom, he casts a spell than can move a magical gate from Evereska to Blackstaff Tower. Or he's able to cast spellsong, a complex music-based magic that, as a human, he shouldn't be able to touch. Dan specializes in being more than he appears to be. It's pretty tough to nail down a character like that in stats. If people saw stats that reflected what Dan can really do, they'd want to know why, and then I'd have to explain his backstory and how he got to be what he is. That's not something I'm prepared to do.

Basically, when it comes to describing the novel characters in stats or, conversely, keeping a novel character in line with his or her stats, novelists and game designers do the best we can. It's never perfect--games and books are too different for that--but we try to come close.

Yes, I'm aware that Elaith is dual-classed with higher wizard stats. You don't see a lot of his magical abilities in my stories, because I prefer to have Elaith do most of his magic "off stage," in keeping with the whole mysterious villain thing he's got going on. One example is when he shows up in Lucia Thione's bedchamber after disspelling all the wards and "giving the servants the night off." Elaith likes to keep a few hidden weapons and a few tricks up his sleeve, and he doesn't want people in Waterdeep to think of him as a wizard. He already has enough wealth, power, and contacts to make people uneasy. If it became common knowledge that he was a spellcaster of considerable power, I think the Waterdhavians would be less inclined to tolerate his presence in their city. He hides some of his abilities for the same reason Khelben Arunsun took on the identity of one of his descendants: so people won't realize he's as powerful as he is. As for the knives, Elaith thinks death ought to be up close and personal. Plus, knives are so nice and shiny . . .

FYI, Elaith does more magic in the upcoming Waterdeep book than we usually see him do onstage. In part, that's a response to the characterization in the FRCS 3.0. See--we do try . . .

I doubt the story of the Craulnober moonblade will ever be told. The sword is being held in trust for Elaith's daughter Azariah (please pronounce this ah-ZAH-ree-ah, NOT az-ah-REE-ah, which sounds too much like an intestinal disorder for my peace of mind...), who is being fostered on Evermeet. I'd love to do a book that's a series of novellas, one for each moonblade wielder, (or a series of graphic novels, one for each moonblade wielder!) but the Craulnober blade wouldn't be a good candidate for such treatment. (Arilyn's sword would be, though!) Azariah is still a child, and it will be many years before she comes of age and attempts to claim the family moonblade. Keeping continuity in a world as detailed and sprawling as the Realms is difficult enough when everything is written in present time. If we start setting stories in the future, we run the risk of establishing "facts" that future authors and game designers might find hard to live with. Then there's the very real possibility that anything we write about the future might be negated by rule changes. (Drow magical power and items, anyone?) At the current rate of time passage and rule revisions, it's likely that Azariah would come of age under D&D edition 47.5 or thereabouts.

Now, moving on to non-book questions/topics.

My raven mafia seems to have disappeared. One of them still comes around from time to time, but for the most part he stays in the trees and just checks out the place. I don't know what happened to the others--perhaps the life span of these ravens ran out, or maybe they got swept up in an avian version of RICO, in which case I'll see them in fifteen to twenty. I miss having them come around--they're fascinating birds.

My son Andrew is seventeen, though you wouldn't know it to talk to him. He'll be eighteen in September, at which time he'll be heading off to college to study engineering. Sean is fourteen. He's an online gamer and an excellent baseball player, as well as a fledgling writer with an offbeat sense of humor. He's going to be working for me this summer. In addition to some online work, he'll be researching, reading, test-playing, and proofing a book I'm writing in another shared world. And helping me paint the house. It's going to be a very, VERY busy summer.

Okay, my online time's up for the day. Back to the frenzied home stretch of the Waterdeep book!

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 21 May 2004 13:18:29
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  18:23:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
FYI, Elaith does more magic in the upcoming Waterdeep book than we usually see him do onstage. In part, that's a response to the characterization in the FRCS 3.0. See--we do try . . .

Now that is a NICE teaser....

quote:

Back to the frenzied home stretch of the Waterdeep book!

and that's an even better one. Thank you again for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  23:09:33  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
Well those are some intriguing answers, as Sirius said: thanks again.

quote:

At the current rate of time passage and rule revisions, it's likely that Azariah would come of age under D&D edition 47.5 or thereabouts.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  13:49:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Sirius raises eyebrows, "You are eating healthy right Elaine Cunningham?"

It's almost impossible NOT to. After surgery, I found a new incentive to eat very simple foods in small quantities: pain.

All the junk we're not supposed to eat anyway is off the menu. Even some of the good stuff--Thai food, vegetarian chili, damn near anything spicy--is likely to cause strong regrets. I even end up paying for things you wouldn't expect to be a problem, such as Diet Coke and homemade strawberry rhubarb pie.

I know that was a rhetorical question, Sirius, but I could let pass a good opportunity to grumble. The thing is, rhubarb is in season in Rhode Island, and I'm fairly serious about pastry. In fact, the men in my life (one husband and two kids) played me for months by suggesting that the apple pie my sister Judie brought over one Thanksgiving was better than mine. So I promply made one to prove them wrong. "It's good," they said cautiously, "but maybe you should try a bit more cinnamin in the next one...." And so I did, within a week, only to be met with, "Didn't Judie say that she used fresh-ground nutmeg? Bet that would help..." This went on for a while. I knew what they were doing, of course, but I couldn't resist taking the bait.

When Judie's family heard this tale, they were vastly amused, and later that day I noticed her youngest son test-driving the technique: "Geez, Mom, how come YOU don't make raspberry truffles?" My sister, who is made of sterner stuff than I, simply laughed in his face.

Damn, I need caffeine.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 21 May 2004 13:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  14:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Hey EC,
I was just sitting here at work bored and wondered how your first time being introduced to DnD was?? Did you think the concept kinda looney or were you intrigued and also if you had a chance to play or Dm for 2 people who would they be?

My First time I thought my friends were nuts but since I was one of those kids who played with action firgures and such I kept an open mind. I was like 18 the first time I play DnD by the end of the first month I had bought the core books and memorized them.

If I had the chance I would love to just sit in on a session with my three favorite authors:You, RAS, and Ed.

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  17:00:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

It's almost impossible NOT to. After surgery, I found a new incentive to eat very simple foods in small quantities: pain.

Ouch. That is a strong motivator as a loved one of mine found out a couple of years ago.

quote:

All the junk we're not supposed to eat anyway is off the menu. Even some of the good stuff--Thai food, vegetarian chili, damn near anything spicy--is likely to cause strong regrets. I even end up paying for things you wouldn't expect to be a problem, such as Diet Coke and homemade strawberry rhubarb pie.

I know sometime in the future there is going to be a horrible scene in a doctor's office:

Doctor: "Mr. Black. You need to stop drinking coffee."

Sirius: <Dead stare at the doctor> "You don't want to do that."

Doctor: <flipping chart> "Well, if you don't, you could end up..."

Sirius: "If you take away my coffee, my body has a reflex action. My foot starts to head towards your...."

Well, you get the point.

quote:

I know that was a rhetorical question, Sirius, but I could let pass a good opportunity to grumble.

Grumble any time my way or at another scribe. Although for my time...<Sirius looks at clock and estimates how long it took him to listen to EC's grumble>...that will cost you two chapter pages via email from the draft of the Waterdeep novel.....

quote:

The thing is, rhubarb is in season in Rhode Island, and I'm fairly serious about pastry. In fact, the men in my life (one husband and two kids) played me for months by suggesting that the apple pie my sister Judie brought over one Thanksgiving was better than mine.

I just realized. You're outnumbered in that household 3 to 1. No wonder you write so much....a few calm moments in the day?

quote:

This went on for a while. I knew what they were doing, of course, but I couldn't resist taking the bait.

Sirius makes mental notes. If you ever wish to get the pineapple muffins, you must go through the Cunningham men.

quote:

Damn, I need caffeine.

See, it's not just me! Take away my caffeine. I'll end up being escroted out of the building by security like my father was.

Take care of yourself please.
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:06:45  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message
Sorry Elaine,
I hate to beat a dead horse but two things I just have to know/say:

First, you mentioned to a post I made way back on page 3 (I think?) that you highly prefered the new cover art of the Starlight and Shadows to the old ones. I just have to know though, who's who on the first two covers? Lieriel pretty much stays the same in appearance so it's easy to tell which one is her (not to mention she's the only female of the two figures other than the cover for Windwalker ) but who, might I ask, are the other two? One is most obviously Fyodor, but the other looks nothing like the descriptions of Fyodor?

Second (and more seriously, I might add), in regards to what D&D stats you'd give your characters (Elaith was mentioned specifically), wasn't it common for TSR to ask the author of a character what their interpretation of their own character was? If I'm right, wouldn't you have his stats somewhere around your notes that you could share with us? I realize WOtC just groups people together and does things the way the heads of the company want them done, but like I said, I've heard TSR was more "author friendly" in terms like these. Not trying to be annoying, but seeing Elaith have so much unused magical potential and knowing Danillo was reputed to have all his levels in wizard and none at all in bard, just doesn't settle quite right.

Thanks again.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:14:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151
Second (and more seriously, I might add), in regards to what D&D stats you'd give your characters (Elaith was mentioned specifically), wasn't it common for TSR to ask the author of a character what their interpretation of their own character was? If I'm right, wouldn't you have his stats somewhere around your notes that you could share with us? I realize WOtC just groups people together and does things the way the heads of the company want them done, but like I said, I've heard TSR was more "author friendly" in terms like these. Not trying to be annoying, but seeing Elaith have so much unused magical potential and knowing Danillo was reputed to have all his levels in wizard and none at all in bard, just doesn't settle quite right.

Thanks again.

Well technically Elaith is Ed's character, since he created him first and stat'd him. Elaine borrowed him and helped flush him out in her novels but first and foremost Elaith is Ed's character. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 May 2004 07:15:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  12:01:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Well technically Elaith is Ed's character, since he created him first and stat'd him. Elaine borrowed him and helped flush him out in her novels but first and foremost Elaith is Ed's character. :)

Indeed he is, as I found out - much to my chagrin - many moons ago when I had the temerity to suggest that Elaith was very 'similar' (although I think I implied more of a copy ...) to the Greyhawk character Lanolin from the old 1E Rogue's Gallery accessory. It was the reference to using Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer to get more fireballs and lighting bolts that made me think this. That stern, headmaster-ly figure of Edward Greenwood soon set me straight on that one ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  13:27:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

I just have to know though, who's who on the first two covers?

Greetings! You're correct about the cover of Daughter of the Drow--that's Fyodor with Liriel. The second book, Tangled Webs, is my favorite of the bunch. It depicts Liriel with Hrolf the Unruly, a Ruathymaar pirate and a kindred spirit to the mischievous drow. He also became a surrogate father to Liriel, and I love the way Todd Lockwood's painting captures the relationship between Hrolf and Liriel.

quote:
...wasn't it common for TSR to ask the author of a character what their interpretation of their own character was? If I'm right, wouldn't you have his stats somewhere around your notes that you could share with us?

There was a time under TSR when game designers would consult authors when game products dealt with the characters these authors created. I recall in particular Dale Donovan sending out pertinant sections of the old Heroes' Lorebook for author perusal and comments. Steven Schend was also terrific about such matters, and always contacted me in matters concerning "my" characters. But Dale and Steven are sterling examples of professional courtesy and attention to detail, and for that matter nifty human beings in general. WotC cannot be faulted for the decline of civilization in general, and the fact that they just don't make men like those guys anymore! Oh wait--::cues spectral voice of Obi-wan:: "There is another." Freelance game designer Eric Boyd is wonderful to work with, and during my 14-year association with the Realms I've never met anyone, excepting only Ed Greenwood himself, who approaches Realmslore with more affection, respect, and attention to detail.

If my experience is typical, the level of contact and cooperation between game designers and authors varies widely. I haven't attempted to deal with games for a while, so I couldn't tell you what the current zeitgeist is. (And if it wasn't a positive atmostphere, I wouldn't tell you anyway....)

Kuje is correct in saying that Elaith Craulnober was created by Ed Greenwood. Elaith's stats originally appeared in the old game accessory Waterdeep and the North. I kept those stats in mind while writing Elfshadow, but since Elaith was a) a mysterious character and b) a minor character, his few scenes in that book did not reflect the full scope of his abilities. More details were added in subsequent books and stories, which, as Kuje pointed out, have begun to flesh out Elaith's history and personality. I do not have my own "rival stats" for Elaith, and I wouldn't publish them online if I did. I'm fairly careful not to disseminate unofficial Realmslore, and I will not contradict anything in the game lore. The exception to this rule is the occasional outright error, an example of which would be listing Arilyn Moonblade as a Harper scout in FRCS, when she left the Harpers five years before the time frame covered in this source book. But it's one thing to say, "Oops--this small fact doesn't jive with the novel characters," and quite another to say, "Since I don't like the official version of X, here's another..."

I'd hoped to create 3.0 (this was a while back) stats for newer characters and conversions for characters who'd already been statted, send them to the folks at WotC for revision and official approval, then post them on my website as a resource for gamers. But the high-level WotC guy who approved the project moved on shortly after, and at that point I didn't have the time to figure out the new chain of command and start the approval process from scratch. An enthusiastic group of readers and gamers hashed out Liriel's stats on a designated thread on the WotC message board, and the results were slightly edited by WotC and posted on the website. It was a good process, and I'd thought about working out the characters in similar manner, one at a time. (Now, of course, on some forum other than the official WotC website...) Perhaps I'll be able to find the time to pick up this project some time in the future, but right now I've booked solid, and I've got a number of related projects--website construction, including the drow art gallery on my website--patiently waiting to suck up stray moments.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 24 May 2004 13:40:14
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  13:27:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Indeed he is, as I found out - much to my chagrin - many moons ago when I had the temerity to suggest that Elaith was very 'similar' (although I think I implied more of a copy ...) to the Greyhawk character Lanolin from the old 1E Rogue's Gallery accessory. It was the reference to using Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer to get more fireballs and lighting bolts that made me think this. That stern, headmaster-ly figure of Edward Greenwood soon set me straight on that one ...

-- George Krashos

Don't know who that Greyhawk NPC is because I didn't start playing till 2e and Greyhawk never caught my interest, but I can picture Ed doing that. :) Most amusing!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  13:32:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes, even the most genial of authors tend to react sternly when it's implied that their work is "copied" from another source. Plagerism is a very serious matter, and authors take it very seriously.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  13:32:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
I'd hoped to create 3.0 (this was a while back) stats for newer characters and conversions for characters who'd already been stated, send them to the folks at WotC for revision and official approval, then post them on my website as a resource for gamers. But the high-level WotC guy who approved the project moved on, and I didn't have the time to figure out the new chain of command and start the approval process from scratch. An enthusiastic group of readers and gamers hashed out Liriel's stats on a designated thread on the WotC message board, and the results were slightly edited by WotC and posted on the website. It was a good process, and I'd thought about working out the characters in similar manner, one at a time. Perhaps I'll be able to find the time to pick up this project some time in the future, but right now I've booked solid, and I've got a number of related projects--website construction, including the drow art gallery on my website--patiently waiting to suck up stray moments.

:) Here's that link Elaine was talking about for Liriel.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/baenre2

Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  14:10:42  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Thx again Elaine for your time and patience.

And Kuje why don't you just apply for a Job wit WotC or write a novel, man you'd fit right in with the "Big Dogs" of the FR worlds.....

Don't you think Mrs. C?

Hey Mrs. C will Alice or Bronwyn make an apperance in the Waterdeep novel??? Oh what about Shopscat I love that Bird lol ....."Think about it" that bird always makes me laugh...Did u just create that bird outta nowhere or did you plan to have a Mascot type in the Curious Past???

-Aristotle-

Edited by - Myst on 24 May 2004 15:36:46
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  15:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
quote:
[quote]
Daughter of the Drow--that's Fyodor with Liriel. The second book, Tangled Webs[/i], is my favorite of the bunch. It depicts Liriel with Hrolf the Unruly, a Ruathymaar pirate and a kindred spirit to the mischievous drow. He also became a surrogate father to Liriel, and I love the way Todd Lockwood's painting captures the relationship between Hrolf and Liriel.

Whoa that's Hrolf???? Cooool I just thought that they Changed the way Fyodor looked, I mean they do that a lot I mean look How many Drizzt's there are....well I better start paying attention to the aritsts on those covers I guess.

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  18:24:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Myst

And Kuje why don't you just apply for a Job wit WotC or write a novel, man you'd fit right in with the "Big Dogs" of the FR worlds.....

Don't you think Mrs. C?

They wouldn't want me. :) I'm to anal about canon and every thing has to make sense with NO contradictions or it bothers me to much! heheh.

Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  19:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Don't you think Mrs. C?

They wouldn't want me. :) I'm to anal about canon and every thing has to make sense with NO contradictions or it bothers me to much! heheh.

Heh, Yeah You'll probably go postal But there aren't that many contradictions out there, are there?

-Aristotle-

Edited by - Myst on 24 May 2004 19:17:15
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  19:19:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Heh, Yeah You'll probably go postal But there aren't that many contradictions out there, are there?

Well we are highjacking Elaine's thread. But in the new planar alignment there are at least 50+ contradictions. We made a list once on the WOTC boards and we probably forgot many others that were rare references in old sourcebooks. So yes 3e has a lot of contradictions, as did 2e.

Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  14:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Whoa maybe we did Hi-Jack it?? Where did she go?? Come back We're sry.......

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  14:49:47  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:

Well we are highjacking Elaine's thread. But in the new planar alignment there are at least 50+ contradictions. We made a list once on the WOTC boards and we probably forgot many others that were rare references in old sourcebooks. So yes 3e has a lot of contradictions, as did 2e.

Ah, memories, eh kuje! I believe that was something like my 5th post on the WotC boards. But, yes, back to Elaine:

About the Character write-up of Liriel. First, I think that the people who did it did do a great job: I'm not knocking them. But they did leave some stuff out that makes me confused:

In DotD and TW Liriel clearly uses fireball several times (at once! at one point), and she levitates very often. I know the levitation, in terms of D&D is a big problem, but I believe the fix - the feat Highborn Drow, had been made by then? But even that only allows levitate 1/day, so she should have levitate in her spellbook too. Finally - she learns how to summon water elementals (summon monster v (medium water elementals)), and she learns to inscribe a rune (Inscribe Rune feat).

I know that D&D stats can't always reflect the diversity of a character, but the no-fireball really confused me, as she uses it an awful lot.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  23:37:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
In DotD and TW Liriel clearly uses fireball several times (at once! at one point), and she levitates very often. I know the levitation, in terms of D&D is a big problem, but I believe the fix - the feat Highborn Drow, had been made by then? But even that only allows levitate 1/day, so she should have levitate in her spellbook too. Finally - she learns how to summon water elementals (summon monster v (medium water elementals)), and she learns to inscribe a rune (Inscribe Rune feat).

I know that D&D stats can't always reflect the diversity of a character, but the no-fireball really confused me, as she uses it an awful lot.

One of the benefits of the Windwalker amulet was the ability to store a number of spells, including more than one casting of a particularly useful spell, to be recalled at will. During her sea voyages, Liriel spent quite a few of her waking hours learning spells, committing them to memory, and then "downloading" them in the Windwalker. This would explain the occurrence of spells more frequently than allowed in D&D stats.

And yes, we should have included fireballs in her stats. That was an oversight on my part. If this write-up is used for another source, and if I'm consulted on the matter, I'll make sure to correct this point.

Thanks for the input!

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 29 May 2004 00:17:44
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  07:15:18  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
The Highborn Drow feat indeed grants levitate as a spell-like ability. The feat Improved Levitation also allows you to break down your levitate ability in smaller time increments (i.e. if your levitate spell-like ability is cast as a 10th-level sorcerer, at 1 min/level, this means the spell can last 10 minutes in total. Improved Levitation allows you to make shorter uses of your levitation equal to one shorter use per character level. In this example, the 10th-level drow could levitate for one minute, ten times a day.)

There is also the matter of a House Insignia: if a character has one, he usually gets levitate from the item itself. I allow my PCs to use these as if they had Improved Levitation (i.e. the Insignia's enchantment allows for smaller uses also)
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  10:51:58  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:

One of the benefits of the Windwalker amulet was the ability to store a number of spells, including more than one casting of a particularly useful spell, to be recalled at will. During her sea voyages, Liriel spent quite a few of her waking hours learning spells, committing them to memory, and then "downloading" them in the Windwalker. This would explain the occurrence of spells more frequently than allowed in D&D stats.

And yes, we should have included fireballs in her stats. That was an oversight on my part. If this write-up is used for another source, and if I'm consulted on the matter, I'll make sure to correct this point.

Thanks for the input!

D'oh! The Windwalker - I totally forgot about its storing capabilities. That explains the spell levitates and the water elemental summoning and the multi-fireball.
I also realised that I was wrong - Races of Faerūn came out after the stats, so Highborn Drow hadn't been developed back then.
It would be really cool to see a Liriel post-Windwalker (after I've read it - I'm getting it for my birthday!), with Highborn Drow and Inscribe Rune.

Thanks again, Ms. Cunningham.

Edited by - Sarelle on 29 May 2004 10:53:24
Go to Top of Page

OrnluTheWolf
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  14:10:07  Show Profile  Visit OrnluTheWolf's Homepage Send OrnluTheWolf a Private Message
Hey Elaine,

I'm currently reading Windwalker, and there are a few things that have confused me very much. It's probably because they are contained in your other books and I'm just out of the loop, but maybe you can clear them up for me.

1) What race is Thorn? Where is she from? What plane does it refure to when she says, "I will take you through my homeland?"

2) It says multiple times that Sharlarra isn't a gold elf (nor any other type). What exactly is Sharlarra?

3) What's the story behind the walking Rashamen hut? This is probably just general Realms lore, but I am unfamiliar with this.

4) This question is a very personal, and merely to appease the demon that is curiosity, so feel free to simply ignore it if you do not wish to answer. What is your religous background and current status?

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  14:47:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OrnluTheWolf

Hey Elaine,

I'm currently reading Windwalker, and there are a few things that have confused me very much. It's probably because they are contained in your other books and I'm just out of the loop, but maybe you can clear them up for me.

1) What race is Thorn? Where is she from? What plane does it refure to when she says, "I will take you through my homeland?"

2) It says multiple times that Sharlarra isn't a gold elf (nor any other type). What exactly is Sharlarra?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

I'm not Elaine Cunningham, but I can answer these first two questions based upon a post she made on the old WOTC novel boards. Below is what Mrs. Cunningham had to say regarding the characters you asked about:

quote:

When Windwalker ended, Liriel had found two new companions: Thorn, a lythari warrior referred to as a Champion of Eilistraee, and Sharlarra, an elven thief and apprentice wizards. Careful readers of the recently-released game supplement The Unapproachable East picked up on the clues about Sharlarra's identity: she is a "star elf," a subrace of elves originally from the Rashemen area who long ago retreated from the world into a demi-plane. These elves now face some sort of unspecified danger in their adopted home, and have been tentatively exploring a reentry into the Prime Material Plane. They are characterized by their gold-flecked violet eyes, a nighttime increase of their powers, and a certain affinity with spirits. (This is a vastly simplified summary: see the game product for more detail.)

Here's a bit about Sharlarra's history: during one forray into the the Prime Material Plane, her family was slaughtered by slave hunters and she was captured and sold. She eventually ended up in Skullport, where she was rescued from slavery by Qilue's followers. Sharlarra made her way as a thief until she met Laerel Silverhand, who took her to Waterdeep as an apprentice wizard. Sharlarra's experience with drow made her inclined to help Liriel, whom she quickly recognized as a kindred spirit.

There is something in Sharlarra calling her back to her ancestral home, which is another reason she so quickly decided to follow Liriel and Fyodor to Rashemen. Indeed, Fyodor, who knows the old tales of his homeland, had heard tales of star elves, and he invited Sharlarra to return home with them. (Did anyone catch that passage? When he commented to Sharlarra that she would find a welcome in Rashemen, where tales are told of elven maidens with violet eyes?)

If you don't know what lythari are, try this site
Go to Top of Page

OrnluTheWolf
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  19:08:40  Show Profile  Visit OrnluTheWolf's Homepage Send OrnluTheWolf a Private Message
quote:

Sirius, that link doesn't work. I don't know if the site is just down, or if you typed it incorrecly, but my computer won't load that page.

I caught the passage about Sharlarra's eyes, but because I was/am unfamiliar with the star elves, it only served to confuse me more.

I'm still a bit confused on the lythari though.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  19:58:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Sirius, that link doesn't work. I don't know if the site is just down, or if you typed it incorrecly, but my computer won't load that page.

I caught the passage about Sharlarra's eyes, but because I was/am unfamiliar with the star elves, it only served to confuse me more.

Hmm, that's weird... The link worked, earlier -- I checked it and copied the info to a Word document. If you like, I can e-mail you said document. I'd need your actual e-mail addy, though, as I'm sure that the system in place here for e-mailing posters won't allow attachments.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 May 2004 20:01:28
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  20:55:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

quote:

As Wooly stated above, it worked for him and myself when I previewed the post. Try this site. Additionally, pick up Elaine Cunningham's Silver Shadows to see the lythari in action.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000