Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Goblin Burial Rites?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  02:43:15  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any precedent for Goblin burial rites in the books somewhere?
I have a Goblin PC with a truckload of corpses and I'm not sure how his culture handles the deceased. It's in The Dalelands if that helps.

Barring that how about other monster rites for the dead?

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  03:18:12  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This needs to go to Ed for answers in the Chamber of Sages section. I guarantee he has an answer for this excellent question.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  04:48:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orc burial rites are as follows:
leave the fallen where they drop, they were too weak to serve gruumsh

otherwise I dunno

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  10:03:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goblin drops dead...

Worgs look on with intense interest...

<ten minutes later>

"Glad we gots dem Worgs wit us! Dey eben chews da boneses up!"

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  17:58:01  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This got me wondering. Are there any sourcebooks on Goblins or in Goblinkind and Orcs in particular?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  18:01:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

This got me wondering. Are there any sourcebooks on Goblins or in Goblinkind and Orcs in particular?

Not familiar with any for the Realms or for Core D&D, but Paizo has Goblins of Golarion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  18:03:31  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Demihumans of the Realms, a 2e source book, is about the closest thing I can think of off the top of my head. I have this book at home but it has been ages since I've read anything within.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  19:09:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

paizo also had one for orcs too......

good thing about paizo its all usable with 3.x and the lore in it, can be used with any ruleset.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  19:27:42  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Paizo does but I was wondering on Forgotten Realms. Thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  21:56:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
then it would only be if at all the demi humans and or the orc one that was also I think..well no matter Im not sure that there was one for 2e, as I stopped with the human and demi human one or just the demihuman.

if there was one, its in 2e...... races of destiny had half-orcs I think, I never bought it as I thought it was too racist.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  23:55:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Closest thing is the Complete Book of Humanoids

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Book_of_Humanoids

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  15:53:32  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Goblin drops dead...

Worgs look on with intense interest...

<ten minutes later>

"Glad we gots dem Worgs wit us! Dey eben chews da boneses up!"

This

now HOBgoblins....maybe a different story.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  04:35:15  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill quote some choice phrases from the races of faerun book that may help answer in a general way how culture is for goblinoids.

"Life in a bolinoid community is cheap. There are always a dozen pepole behind you, trying to trip you up, ready to take over your place as soon as you fall. "

"Maglubiyet revels in conflict and destruction.He encourages goblins to increase their numbers in order to overrun their enemies."

Due to these things, I would guess family meant little, unless it was a clan. An if your god says you need to reproduce to overrun your enemies, I would say that he cares very little about his followers being alive or dead.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  11:50:23  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder. I could see goblins cannibalizing their own dead, as well as the dead of any race for that matter. 'Meat is meat, got to eat' kind of thing. This would be one possible explanation why there's no goblin tombs.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  16:52:46  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that in Elminsters ecologies in the section about he stonelands there is explicitly mentioned that goblins survive to a good part by eating the old and the captives / dead of the infighing between Clans etc.

I have not heard of any burial rites with goblins either before. Eventually when the religious aspect Comes in, but otherwise I think when they die, they are just considered meat.
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  20:47:44  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did find this scroll on the issue, but it does not cover goblinoids.
Useful to know we aren't the first to consider the question though.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17412

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  20:54:54  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this would depend on where they are at. The old goblinoid empire north of Cormyr that was wiped out by the desert's approach for instance, I could see high ranking chiefs or whatnot maybe getting a burial cairn. On the whole, I would assume goblins just eat their dead, especially if food is not plentiful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000