Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Questions About Charters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  05:30:07  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The previous thread brought a question to mind. Once a band purchases a charter in Cormyr...how long does it last? What are the general stipulations (outside the obvious legal strictures against attacks against the Crown).

1. Groups lose and recruit new members, do the new members have to be declared?
2. As the original group goes into retirement, are other members allowed to retain the charter? In other words, would the charter be allowed to continue in perpetuity?
3. Or, would the charter effectively be void once the final founding member is dead? And, if so, would the charter be renewable by the other members.
4. What are the limits to the charter? Such as limits on number of members or limitations on races allowed.
5. What are their duties (aside from alerting the Crown to possible threats)? Are they REQUIRED, as a stipulation of the charter, to make themselves available for service to the Crown in times of crisis (either with or without pay)?
6. Does the Crown have any obligations to the charter. For instance, would the charter members be allowed certain courtesies (such as the custom of lodging for knights during Medieval times).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 16 Dec 2013 05:38:10

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  09:25:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was certain the answers to all your questions and more would be found in the Cormyr scroll on this shelf, but after searching through it I found not one direct answer to your questions, beyond some general statements about the attitudes of Cormyreans towards non-humans.

I went for a search via Google of this website, but again found no specific answers. As I have no faith in my Google-Fu, I can only hope Ed or perhaps Brian Cortijo responds to your excellent questions.

Once answered, I will make damn sure the responses are added to the Cormy thread.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6361 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  09:44:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have this quote relating to charters but unfortunately i dont know where from, probably VOlo's guide to Cormyr or the Cormyr sourcebook

quote:
An adventuring band must disclose its members' names and its number in the charter. This makes adding members to the group especially difficult, so those who apply for a charter should be confident of their group's integrity before application. If someone is added, the group must make sure that the new member's name is recorded in Suzail. Records of charters are updated on a monthly basis. Regardless, a group cannot number more than 30. Once a group is chartered, members must wear the group's badge or coat of arms at all times.
Charters cost 1,000 golden lions, with an annual tax of 300 golden lions due on the anniversary of the signing of the charter. There is a late fee of 20 golden lions accrued per day for up to 10 days. If the tax is not paid, and the late fees are not paid by 10 days past the due date, the charter is revoked.
Having its charter revoked does not merely mean the band is barred from adventuring within Cormyr, but also that the group has decided to oppose the crown by wilfully refusing to renew the charter. The group is considered outlaw, and a warrant is issued for members' arrest and detention. Once arrested, the group can still pay the overdue tax and late fees. If the members do pay, their charter will be reinstated and the group may resume its activities. Otherwise, the charter is revoked permanently, and the group may not assemble while wearing weapons.

Given that Cormyr has little respect for adventurers i would guess that adventurers can be asked to do anything by the crown but rarely does so since it has the purple dragons and war wizards which are much more reliable, so adventurers would only be asked to do the dirty underhand stuff.

As for crown obligations, it looks like their are none. The charter entitles the adventurers to bear arms, but nothing else, they still have to obey all the laws and everyone has a dislike of adventurers and a distrust of foreign adventurers so i cant see anyone honouring the room and board even if there was one.

It does mention that foreigners can become adventurers but they are viewed with distrust by the people. Given Cormyrs nature as a good realm i can see elves and dwarves and other demi humans being given charters but not orcs and goblins who are likely to be killed on sight.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  19:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if that is from Volo's Guide to Cormyr, but I do know that there was some information on this stuff in "Four from Cormyr" which has a mini-scenario involving...well this stuff.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  20:41:43  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also remember something about the rules being updated in 1372. I'll try to track down the source.

Edit: found it in Dungeon #88 p20.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 16 Dec 2013 20:59:20
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  21:29:50  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 1372 DR charters for 'bands' (7 to 30 individuals) are usually permanent but can also be long-term but temporary for a flat rate of 5,000gp per person with an annual tax of 1,500gp. Nonnative 'fellowships' (5 or 6 individuals) are usually temporary and must have a projected date of disbanding. These are 2,500gp per person per tenday. Native cormyreans are only charged 1,000gp.

Any permanent changes to the group's name, identifying symbols or membership REQUIRES a revision of the charter. Charter records are updated on the first of every month. Late fees of 20gp per day are applied to the annual tax of a charter - if the fees aren't paid within a tenday the charter is revoked. If the group doesn't officially announce that it has disbanded by the time a charter is revoked, they are declared outlaws and a warrant is issued for their arrest (though they are given a chance to pay any fees if willingly taken into custody). Members can be stricken from a charter by the crown and a charter can be revoked at any time.

Wizards HAVE to register in person with Caladnei (though she frequently delegates this duty to lesser War Wizards or even noblemen). Wizards have to provide their sigil and six months of travel plans in addition to the standard information. The penalty for failing to update this information is a 500gp fine that doubles every tenday. Wizards failing or refusing to register are banished.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  12:54:35  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information folks. Much of it is what I suspected. Nice find on issue #88 but are you sure it wasn't Dragon 88?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  13:02:56  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure. It was written for the adventure 'The Door from Everywhere'. Dragon #88 was written well before 1372 DR.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 17 Dec 2013 13:04:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000