Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 1372 and beginning...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  03:33:07  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm on the cusp of kicking off a new campaign for my players (starting at level 3) and am running it in the second edition Realms (1372DR).

At the moment, I'm location agnostic, trying to decide where I want them to start out from. They have each created backstories which I feel are believable and are able to be worked into the arc of the campaign well enough, I'd like to stick to the bones of a published module for the first few levels at least and have contemplated Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, Wyrmskull Throne, and the Living City (Raven's Bluff) as a locale.

I'd be interested to hear what others' thoughts are and any advice you have as to location and modules.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/

Edited by - 9thChapter on 16 Dec 2013 03:34:32

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  04:12:36  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1372 DR puts you RIGHT on the cusp of the 2E/3E transition (if you follow the canon storyline). If you plan to run then (or even right before then in 1370-71) you might consider using Cormyr (and the Haunted Halls) as there is a lot of good stuff going on in the background all over the realm that year. If you've got the chance you might consider reading 'Cormyr a Novel', 'Beyond the High Road', and/or 'Death of the Dragon' to get a sense of what I'm talking about (if you don't already know).

Your players should find themselves with plenty of opportunities for heroics!

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  04:40:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

I'm on the cusp of kicking off a new campaign for my players (starting at level 3) and am running it in the second edition Realms (1372DR).

At the moment, I'm location agnostic, trying to decide where I want them to start out from. They have each created backstories which I feel are believable and are able to be worked into the arc of the campaign well enough, I'd like to stick to the bones of a published module for the first few levels at least and have contemplated Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, Wyrmskull Throne, and the Living City (Raven's Bluff) as a locale.

I'd be interested to hear what others' thoughts are and any advice you have as to location and modules.

Do the individual backstories tie them to any specific location?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  07:04:40  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do the individual backstories tie them to any specific location?

Yes.

A human mage - invoker - hails from Cormyr. Another (fighter type), has ties to Thay - was enslaved by a Thayan wizard. The third is an elven ranger, a former harper, who was a founding member of the Moonstars (Tel'Teukiira) and associated with Khelben Arunsun.

Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  07:19:44  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

1372 DR puts you RIGHT on the cusp of the 2E/3E transition (if you follow the canon storyline). If you plan to run then (or even right before then in 1370-71) you might consider using Cormyr (and the Haunted Halls) as there is a lot of good stuff going on in the background all over the realm that year. If you've got the chance you might consider reading 'Cormyr a Novel', 'Beyond the High Road', and/or 'Death of the Dragon' to get a sense of what I'm talking about (if you don't already know).

Your players should find themselves with plenty of opportunities for heroics!

Thanks Kris the Grey! I'll look to Cormyr (or perhaps the area surrounding Cormyr) as a kick-off location/base.

I was also thinking that something having to do with Shanatar might be of interest/a logical tie into Wyrmskull Throne. 1369DR (The Year of the Gauntlet) involves the War of Gold and Gloom: A large group of crusading gold dwarves leaves the Great Rift to reclaim the lost caverns of Deep Shanatar. The duergar of Dunspeirrin march on Deep Shanatar as well, and war soon rages between the two armies of the Stout Folk.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  07:24:44  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious how they met being from such disparate locations. Knowing this might make it easier to figure out a good place to start them from. Just going on what you've said thus far...Khelben could easily have sent the ranger into the field to investigate ANYthing ANYwhere. Assuming the fighter is an ESCAPED slave he/she would not want to be in Thay. The third one is actually in a decent middle spot between the other two characters so Cormyr seems the most likely starting point.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  07:45:45  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I'm curious how they met being from such disparate locations. Knowing this might make it easier to figure out a good place to start them from. Just going on what you've said thus far...Khelben could easily have sent the ranger into the field to investigate ANYthing ANYwhere. Assuming the fighter is an ESCAPED slave he/she would not want to be in Thay. The third one is actually in a decent middle spot between the other two characters so Cormyr seems the most likely starting point.

That is what I was thinking - Cormyr being in the middle, that is. The escaped slave does NOT want to be anywhere near Thay (although an element of his backstory portends a return visit) and the ranger is easily moveable. I don't know a lot about Cormyr, actually - other than what I've read in Azure Bonds and The Wyvern's Spur.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000