Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 CotSQ - Help! (Spoilers may appear!)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ezekil
Acolyte

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  01:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Ezekil's Homepage Send Ezekil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, me and a group of people are going through the City of the spider queen. We have come a bit far and the most silly thing happened: My 1/2 elven ranger got killed by another PC (A Rogue/Fighter) because of some silly fight we had (in character). And now i need to make a new char. We could really need some arcane power, so i decided to go for a wizard or sorc. My problem is this: I am pretty new to Arcane spellcasters as a player and need some advice. After all i have to boost him up to lvl 13-14 or something. I have been through quite a bit of the campaign so feel free to discuss pro's and con's concerning encounters in the first half of the adventure. Hope soem of you Sages out there can help me with this build.

We use 4d6 - drop lowest for stats.
Alot of books available.
If I got good reasons and backgrounds, allmost everything is allowed concerning race/prc/class.

Ezekil
"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance"

Ezekil
Acolyte

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  13:08:56  Show Profile  Visit Ezekil's Homepage Send Ezekil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, i guess there is not much help to get here, maybe i posted in the wrong place. Thanks anyways.

Ezekil

Edited by - Ezekil on 27 Feb 2004 13:10:39
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  19:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but since I've never read that modual, I don't have any campaign-specific suggestions for you. Perhaps someone else might be along . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  02:55:29  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are unsure what you are looking for... Aid on spell selection, on what stratagy to use, a back ground or history? Perhaps if you could explain a bit more on what you need, we ourselves or perhaps others could aid you. As it stands we are unsure of what you ask.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  04:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe he wants suggestions on class levels and feats for the campaign, and that he'll create the background himself. Am I right?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  06:53:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ezekil

Ok, i guess there is not much help to get here, maybe i posted in the wrong place. Thanks anyways.

Don't be too discouraged... For most of us who have used this adventure, this campaign took place quite a while ago...I know it's been a while since I read through it.

Let me refresh myself with the basic campaign, then I can better interpret what I need to find in order to assist you...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  14:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, I will post to this later today. Ezekil, it would help if you could tell us exactly what chapter you're in...(Have you passed the Lake of Shadows yet? Have you gained access to Castle Maerimydra?)
Go to Top of Page

Ezekil
Acolyte

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2004 :  12:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Ezekil's Homepage Send Ezekil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey. Ok, wehave been to the first city but turned back towards the house of the lady danica or something... do not remember her name... The original idea of this post was just to gather some hints and tips for making a usefull arcane spellcaster for this campaign. Everything from race, templates, feats, spell selection or prc's etc are welcome. After consulting with you guys i will make background and stuff myself. So in short: Need tips on how to make a char that can be usefull in CotSQ.
-Thanks.

Ezekil
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  12:47:51  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So in short: Need tips on how to make a char that can be usefull in CotSQ.
-Thanks.

I can't help thinking that you are missing the point here, Ezekil (and indeed, it would appear that many of the people posting responses to your question have too).

You want "to make a char that can be useful in CotSQ"? What exactly does that mean? Why do the people responding feel that they need to check the adventure before answering?

If you want to take this to the extreme, why don't you just go out and buy the adventure and create a high-level character perfectly matched to it. Think of it, no threats, no challenges, no problems you can't solve, no point to playing any more.

Surely any character of the correct level will be useful - the whole object of the game is to create a character and make him fit, not create a character to fit.

I have to say, Ezekil, if I was DMing your group and saw your question I'd be giving serious consideration to your motives in playing.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  18:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kahonen, what you said is generally applicable. However, perhaps the group in question is having trouble, or may just be very munchkin oriented.

As for hints:

• Once you reach the second city, have dismissal(or banishment), cone of cold(or some other cold area effect spell, such as Snilloc's snowball swarm) and dispel magic(or one of its greater variants) prepared at all times, if you can. Undeath to Death is quite helpful, if you have access to it.
  • As for prestige classes, perhaps Incantatrix or Elemental Savant(water)? If you do take levels in Archmage, mastery of elements would help.
  • If you do decide to concentrate on cold, Energy Focus may be helpful, as may Energy Substitution/Affinity and Energy Admixture.
Go to Top of Page

Ezekil
Acolyte

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  12:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Ezekil's Homepage Send Ezekil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you put it that way, maybe the thread was dead when i started it... Anyways thanks for trying to understand, i will just have to try to make a char all by myself. :) The reason i wrote this is because i wanted tips on how to make an arcane caster that could be usefull to the party in this type of module... It has nothing to do with munchkinism or min/maxing... I just needed tips from played that are moe experienced than me. Oh, well. Thanks for the interest in my problem, but it was probably the wrong place to take my issues.

Ezekil
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  11:51:10  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When you put it that way, maybe the thread was dead when i started it... Anyways thanks for trying to understand, i will just have to try to make a char all by myself. :) The reason i wrote this is because i wanted tips on how to make an arcane caster that could be usefull to the party in this type of module... It has nothing to do with munchkinism or min/maxing... I just needed tips from played that are moe experienced than me. Oh, well. Thanks for the interest in my problem, but it was probably the wrong place to take my issues.

Ezekil, if I was a little harsh then I apologise. It wasn't the intent but this is an area I feel very strongly about.

I have in the past needed to deal with players who have bought (or in one case, downloaded) the module we were playing. It seems recently that Candlekeep offers players the opportunity to discuss modules and gain information which they shouldn't know. Arivia's response is a perfect example of this and shows a total disregard for any effort (or expense) the DM has put into preparing for a session.

How could you, in game terms, possibly know the information you've just been given. Generating a character knowing this information not only affects your input to the game but also that of your other players. This annoys me as a DM but if I was a player in your group, I'd be very angry.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  16:14:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen
I have in the past needed to deal with players who have bought (or in one case, downloaded) the module we were playing. It seems recently that Candlekeep offers players the opportunity to discuss modules and gain information which they shouldn't know.

Well, it's not the site so much as the player's and others taking this action. After all, if it isn't Candlekeep, than it would be the WOTC boards, ENWorld, etc. If someone wants to find out information about a module, they can find it.

Additionally, while you bring up players taking this action, I've also seen DM's asking for tips on how to get a Total Party Kill (TPK). Does that seem fair and at all directed towards everyone having fun with an adventure?

I guess roleplaying isn't enough for some and winning is a must be it knowing everything that is about to happen or destroying every PC.
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  17:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never understood DMs who like to 'win'. Sure the DM can inflict untold damage with a trap, occasional kill of a player, But Total Party Kill, COME ON!

DM doesn't 'win' by killing everyone. The DM wins by creating a fun, enjoyable game. If the DM was to go and kill everyone, get Diablo or start Wargaming.

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  02:44:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

DM doesn't 'win' by killing everyone. The DM wins by creating a fun, enjoyable game. If the DM was to go and kill everyone, get Diablo or start Wargaming.

In my experiences, I've only run into one DM that enjoyed killing PCs, the rest wanted everyone to have fun. However, based upon some of the online posts I've seen, I should consider my isolated experience fortunate. I don't know if this type of DM is on the rise or why. I can speculate but that's only opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Ezekil
Acolyte

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  09:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Ezekil's Homepage Send Ezekil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not about getting info on what i will meet in the module. It's not about min/maxing. It's not about 'winning' the game. It's not about powerplay. It's all about hints and tips concerning a caracter build. Tips on how to play an effective and usefull arcane spellcaster in a undead-based module. I just wanted tips. That's all.

Ezekil
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  23:48:48  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ezekil: I am currently DMing CotSQ for a group of 4 players. All of them are surface dwellers. Since you have lost your PC underground, may I suggest that your replacement PC be native to the Underdark?

I just thought of an amazing suggestion! Even if you don't use it, I'll use it myself as an NPC pitted against the PCs!

Here it is... drumrolls...

An Orog Sorcerer!

You can find the Orog in Races of Faerun. The racial HD will cost you caster levels, but the sheer amount of spells per day that sorcerers have will more than enough make up for this loss.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000