Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Name of Human City
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  15:23:55  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well. I was considering placing this in the Computer Software Area, but there are so few people over there, and I've only seen The Sage over there once, and never Bookwyrm, and I was hoping that either of them had any reply to this. So I placed it here. Bite me.
(I could be presuaded to move it, though...)

Anyways; I'm making this small Module for NwN. Basically it's just a City. A Hudge City. I've been making alot of progress lately, thanks to the inspiration I've gotten form Candlekeep , but I'm starting to raech that point where I need to... erhm... figure out a name for the city... Yes. You heard me. The city has no name!

One thing important to note about this city (I haven't sorted out the geograpical location, so don't ask) is that it is a *human* city. It's inhabitans are generally only humans. Half-Elves and Dwarves are tolerated, but the other races need a very good reason to be allowed beyond it's gates. It is a fortress city, and it is known for it's... lack of morals, and is known to house several Liches, and a hudge cult of Dragon Worshippers have alot of influence within the City Walls.

Basically this city is not a place where your every day pesant would not want to live. It is, however, a haven for adventurers, as it has embraced power, in all it's forms. Mostly through magical means, and mages bear alot of influence within it's walls. The city guard is composed of few, but immensly strong, Human warriors, bred for the task, and equipped with powerful gear, made within the Citys own walls. A city that houses powerful creatures such as Liches, and the occasional Dragon, need guardians that are capable of protection it from these powers, and thus the Red Brotherhood was born.

Anyways; enough ranting. I was just wondering if anybody here could help me with the citys name? IT's not even close to completed yet, but I'm startign to get to that point where I'll have alot of 'cleaning' to do unless I figure out a name for it soon.

Thanks in advance

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  15:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like this is Westgate of Dragon Coast!

I would strongly recommend placing this illicit City on a Coast plagued by Pirates. Well actually place it anywhere it was just an idea .

As for names, thats a bit harder, I don't know how much help I can offer here.

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  16:00:40  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. It's a costal city, that much is for shure.

I don't think that pirates would fancy attacking it, though.

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  16:06:25  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was more thinking of pirates using the City as a Safe Haven! I am not certian so someone please correct me but arn' the Cult of the Dragon especially active about Dragon Coast? I'm not certian about this. Even if they're not, it would be a great place for them to obtain certian hard to come by components for creating Dracoliches, so I'm certian that they would have some interest in the Corisars

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  16:13:39  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... this city isn't exactly one that relies on Trade, if you know what I mean.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  23:24:53  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have maney names that you could use Port Zargas,Cyric`s legacy, Rome,Darvas,Port Royal,Red Port,Dorvias,Zeratul,Port Zambas and thats about that. A cult of Cyric and the town and i for one would download it.
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  05:39:39  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Cyric, but neither of those names 'ring a bell', as I would put it. As for the Cyric worshippers... I suppose they could have a temple. If they pay enough money. This is not going to be a lawless city, but rather a Evil one, yes. Lawfull Evil would be the regular Algiment by the men in high places.

Awwww... no Sage or Bookwyrm? WHAT IS COMING OF THIS WORLD!?

Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  07:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm sounds like Lankhmar or Luskan. Could be Dry Falls as well.

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  15:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm well by the sounds of it two names came to mind. Drake's Port and Sonnovana <--- City set u much like your own in a TT game I played in.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Fibura Gauntlet
Seeker

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  16:04:18  Show Profile  Visit Fibura Gauntlet's Homepage Send Fibura Gauntlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anyways; enough ranting. I was just wondering if anybody here could help me with the citys name? IT's not even close to completed yet, but I'm startign to get to that point where I'll have alot of 'cleaning' to do unless I figure out a name for it soon.
Shorefall? Fellport? Redmouth? Horribly derivative and bland, but the best I can come up with I'm afraid Pick a few keywords and shuffle them around to see what you get is my advice.

Although, you could always be really cheesy and call it The Overdark, I suppose

- Fibura Gauntlet
A scrib(bl)e on the margins of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  17:35:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of cities in the Realms have descriptive names. Waterdeep, for instance, is named because it was the name of its natural harbor (the Water Deep). Others are named after people, such as Neverwinter (a strange name for a city that far north! ). And then there are names that are just made up, as far as I know, like Luskan.

Which is it that you're looking for? Is there a prominent landmark nearby? Was the first ruler really important and (anti-)heroic? Or do you just want a fantasy name?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  18:37:38  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly I don't reall know where to place it, other than that it is a costal city. Any Ideas? I'm not exactly learned in Realms Biography.

quote:
Shorefall? Fellport? Redmouth? Horribly derivative and bland, but the best I can come up with I'm afraid Pick a few keywords and shuffle them around to see what you get is my advice.

Although, you could always be really cheesy and call it The Overdark, I suppose

Personally It's better than anything I came up with, but this friend of mine suggested Draconium, and for some odd reason I liked it. Many of the people living in the City will be Mages, Dragon Deciples, The Cult of the Dragon, The Broderhood of the Burning Blade. It kinda fits the city I gotta make-up some backgroudn for the origion of the name, though.

I'm pretty shure that I'm gonna settle with that name (Unless somebody has anything to say about it; like the City already exists (!), or it means soemthing odd )

Now I jsut need the Geograpic Location to the the history straight. I'm thinking about palcing it along the Sword coast, or Dragon Coast but, again, I am not good with Realms Biography.

Anybody got any good possible location? I'll just stick it there, and make up some odd historical events with the surrounding cities, and/or communities.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  05:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you must mean geography. "Biography" means "life mapping" and it's a story of a person's life. "Geography" is "land mapping."

I'd go with Elrond's idea of the Dragon Coast, I'd think. Unless of course anyone knows of a reason not to?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  17:45:48  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be located on the Utter East. There's very little (if any) canonical information on that area, but its supposed to be a haven for pirates. It has sort of a British India environment superimposed on a midieval landscape. Unless they've changed that, of course...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  19:44:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2004 :  20:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, it would be interesting to place such a city upon the outskirts of the realms, and have a magical barrier that prevents all who serve good from entering. Just a thought.......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  13:43:04  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But there will be good people in the city! It's just that most (if not all) of the peopel that controll the city think themselves to be good, rather than actually being good. (Lawful Evil, anyone?)

quote:
I think you must mean geography. "Biography" means "life mapping" and it's a story of a person's life. "Geography" is "land mapping."

I have no idea why I wrote Biorgaphy instead of Geography. I'm very much aware of the differences between the two... It suprises me even moreso that I managed to make the same mistake twice in less than 5 minutes...
Quoting mysef:
quote:
Now I jsut need the Geograpic Location to the the history straight.

Proof!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000