Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sundering (Thematic Trailer)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  21:45:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that TORG used the same approach for the Possibility Wars. "Here's a module/scenario/adventure. Run it and tell us what happens, and the majority results will be official."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  23:55:34  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was that through an old PbM (Play by Mail) system? I've read mention of that in reviews of TORG.

This is not a new idea, others were innovators, but before our current proliferation of digital communication, it wasn't as accessible or economically feasible.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  00:07:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe -- and I won't swear to it, because I wasn't paying attention to anything non-D&D at the time -- that there were mail-in cards to send back to them, with each adventure.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  00:32:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The blue chick with the bow may be intended to be a culmination of both Selune and her aspect as Sehanine Moonbow. It definitely looks like something to do with the sundering what with the two intertwined circles separating at the point where her arrow is striking the dragonish being.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  03:05:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

The Dragonish Figure maybe the Primordial The Blazing Rorn who was in the 4e FR.

That's an interesting call.

Not a connection I would have made, but I do like the possibility regardless.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  05:55:13  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kicks a lil info under the rug

Blazing Rorn the Fury was one of the
most notorious Dawn Titans. Rorn was known for
his rages, during which he slew gods, exarchs, and
fellow primordials with unmatched ferocity. Before
Ao twinned the world, Rorn was among the primordials
that the gods most hated and feared. For his
part, Rorn returned violence with violence, anger
with rage, and insult with atrocity, a slave to his
inner fury.
When his primordial nature was not
inflamed to starlike fury, Rorn knew prudence, tolerance,
and compromise. In such moments of clarity,
Rorn declared his desire for peace with primordials
and gods alike. However, the Dawn Titan had killed
too many divine beings for the Estelar (gods) to forget
him. Rorn grew to hate the gods, whether he was
raging or resting.
After Abeir was split off from Toril, Rorn
thought his rages were concluded. Then the dragons
rose up, claiming Abeir for their own. Rather than
wake his fury anew over the dragons’ betrayal, Rorn
chose to sequester himself and his servants, awaiting
a changed world. He and the creatures of his court
slept away the ages, hidden in the very roots of Fimbrul,
in a deep stasis in which they neither aged nor
deteriorated.
Rorn stirred in the tumult of the Blue
Breath of Change, when Abeir and Toril violently
reshaped each other in a chaos that killed many
primordials and countless lesser beings. For decades
he has reached toward mobility and consciousness,
his dreams growing more troubled with each
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  06:57:28  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With a back story like that and the age of Selune's involvement with Abeir-Toril, it is definitely a possible for these two to have an ancient grudge :)

Which if true, then my deity of choice should get a bit more involvement ***crosses fingers***
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  08:13:14  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I just fear that it is a bit obscure... I had to umm ..do stuff to find that info. We need more info on the primodials I think for the 4e gap that a bunch of folks fully ignored.
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  13:20:20  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really obscure, nor ignored...but no possible plot connections were ever directly made to the existing lore when this lore was presented.

That being said, if your hypothesis is correct this would definitely create a much needed bridge between the two and help to provide much needed interaction between them.

And in doing my own... stuff, it is also possible that the devilish guy in the stained glass with the "blue lady" could be the demon lord Cormanda.

Edited by - ksu_bond on 08 Aug 2013 13:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  13:45:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOVING it!

To me, that first stained glass piece looks like 'dragons vs eladrins', so this could harken back to one of the earliest conflicts in FR history. Don't forget the Fey did send the elves to Faerûn originally to do something about the dragons, and the Sundering is all about ancient threats rising again.

Tie that into the whole 'merging of worlds' theme (and tearing them back apart), and the fact that Abeir is rife with 'dragon empires'.... seems to me that bringing those to The Realms would stir up quite a ruckus with the Elves, who seem to have drifted from their original purpose (on Toril). Perhaps the Seldarine are going to call a 'crusade' of sorts.

Which, of course, would be an unforeseen (and interesting) way to bring the wayward Ilythiir Elves back into the fold. Lolth might have to work with Corellon just to take care of 'old business'.

EDIT:
...And of course, all of this could tie directly into the primordials, who are also on Abeir (and are probably somehow linked to those dragons, one way or the other). Seems to me dragons would make great warriors/minions for a primal power. Those Elves sent to Toril may have just been a 'clean-up crew', taking care of any stragglers left behind from the Sundering/war.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Aug 2013 13:52:49
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  14:11:16  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Which, of course, would be an unforeseen (and interesting) way to bring the wayward Ilythiir Elves back into the fold. Lolth might have to work with Corellon just to take care of 'old business'.

Lolth and Corellon working together? No chance ever happening. You get more chance with Tymora and Beshaba merging back to Tyche before you see Lolth and Corellon team up.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  14:14:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen the movie Independence Day?

One of my favorite scenes is when you see the Arab and Israelis working together...

If a big enough threat arrives, old enemies - even die-hard ones - WILL work together for mutual survival. If a force shows up that wants ALL elves dead, then they may have to do the unthinkable.

EDIT:
Also not saying it is something that they would want, or continue after the neccesity of it ended - in fact, I could see Lolth planning a betrayal at some point, and Corellon fully expecting it. That means by the time we get 5eFR, things could have shaken-out already, and everything could be 'back to normal' (for the Seldarine and Dark Elf gods, at any rate).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Aug 2013 14:30:11
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:13:36  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Kicks a lil info under the rug

Blazing Rorn the Fury was one of the
most notorious Dawn Titans. Rorn was known for
his rages, during which he slew gods, exarchs, and
fellow primordials with unmatched ferocity. Before
Ao twinned the world, Rorn was among the primordials
that the gods most hated and feared. For his
part, Rorn returned violence with violence, anger
with rage, and insult with atrocity, a slave to his
inner fury.
When his primordial nature was not
inflamed to starlike fury, Rorn knew prudence, tolerance,
and compromise. In such moments of clarity,
Rorn declared his desire for peace with primordials
and gods alike. However, the Dawn Titan had killed
too many divine beings for the Estelar (gods) to forget
him. Rorn grew to hate the gods, whether he was
raging or resting.
After Abeir was split off from Toril, Rorn
thought his rages were concluded. Then the dragons
rose up, claiming Abeir for their own. Rather than
wake his fury anew over the dragons’ betrayal, Rorn
chose to sequester himself and his servants, awaiting
a changed world. He and the creatures of his court
slept away the ages, hidden in the very roots of Fimbrul,
in a deep stasis in which they neither aged nor
deteriorated.
Rorn stirred in the tumult of the Blue
Breath of Change, when Abeir and Toril violently
reshaped each other in a chaos that killed many
primordials and countless lesser beings. For decades
he has reached toward mobility and consciousness,
his dreams growing more troubled with each

Can you provide a source for this please? It is not that I don't beleive you (Thank you for the above) it is just I would like to read something this important at its source material. I have access to DDI and many 4e books.

Many thanks for your time.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:16:20  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Yes I just fear that it is a bit obscure... I had to umm ..do stuff to find that info. We need more info on the primodials I think for the 4e gap that a bunch of folks fully ignored.

Ok if you have no reference can you give me a starting point?

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  18:24:43  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4e Campaign guide, at work so can't crack it open, but look in the index for the name so you can look it up, this is ripped from the DC rolls for knowledge checks.

I just thought of something fun, what if during when we had all those dragons come back and such, that we were thrown into the middle of another dragon rage?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  12:31:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nice trailer. Props for the effort. The CG’d Ysval (sp?) looks better than the haggard-looking one in the poster.

Red Dragon: Tchazzar reborn or just a generic dragon to symbolize the brand (D&D).

Lady with the Bow and Arrow: Mystra in another form? Perhaps she absorbed or was given part of nature’s portfolio? After all, she and Chauntea are allies.

Floating and Falling Enclaves: Obviously Netheril. Which might be alluding to Shade falling down during the Sundering or, at the very least, being rid some of their power and influence. Or perhaps the emergence of a few fallen enclaves that were unaccounted for these past few years.

Ancient Evil: Given the horned demon, it’s probably one of the archdevils, most likely Asmodeus.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  13:03:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great trailer! But...
Sigh, if only they would make a Baldurs gate 3.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  23:39:35  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Great trailer! But...
Sigh, if only they would make a Baldurs gate 3.

If only.

Could be my own biased view of things, but it seems 5E thus far is launching with a more serious-minded, epic tone (such as this trailer) than the jokey cartoons at the 4E transition with the interviewer encountering the various D&D monsters and situations. Also a lot less of the kill the sacred cows and taking their stuff sentiment, but again, potential bias observation.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  00:06:45  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I believe -- and I won't swear to it, because I wasn't paying attention to anything non-D&D at the time -- that there were mail-in cards to send back to them, with each adventure.

When you bought the original TORG game, they had a mail-in form, along with a list of the invading realms/cosms (Living Land, Nile Empire, Space Gods, Cyberpapacy, Nippon Tech, Aysle, Orrorsh, and Tharkold), included in their subscription to their Infiniverse newsletter. Each subscription was given a campaign number, and you got a one-page insert in each issue with four or five paragraphs, each one an 'adventure hook' for one of the invading realms, based on the choices you made when you subscribed.

Thus, Issue 1, Volume 22's insert had 5 ideas from the realms I had indicated I was running my players through. Example of one of them (and I'll do just one, they're not just quick one-line ideas):

THARKOLD
"A small faction of Tharkoldu techno-demons, unhappy with the rule of Jezrael (and those who would bow to a monkey), have made an offer to certain Storm Knights (those who have shown a marked ability to survive in their realm): aid the techno-demons in overturning Jezrael in whatever way possible, and they will provide the Knights with occultech cyberware and weaponry. They have also pledged to shift the emphasis of their war to attacking the other High Lords rather than exterminating the forces of Core Earth (on this last point, however, their pledges are probably not worth the pain sculpture presented as a show of "good faith")."

The subscriber (who was presumably the Game Master) would run the suggested adventure hook, and then mail in the Response Form (usually a photocopy of same) on the back of the newsletter, letting them know what had happened. West End would then take the largest amounts of responses (those campaigns that had swung a certain way), and include them as official idea in both the Infiniverse and (presumably) official game products.

Yeah...I'd like to see something like this for the Sundering-Era Realms.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  08:14:22  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what ive fiddled with, you don't get to decided who the ruler faction of a city is, but rather who the ruler is among a faction.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000