Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Fortification and crit immunity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  12:30:30  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I'm having a discussion with one of the players in my group, who says, that the heavy fortification armor enchantment, confers immunity it critical hits, just like that of an undead or construct. I tried to tell him, that by having this enchantment; it did not remove your vital organs or slowed your respiratory system down. The player says that is does indeed make him immune. While I try to explain that negation of a critical hit is not the same as immunity.

DMG p. 219
quote:

Fortification: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical force that protects vital areas of the wearer more effectively. When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

The ability in mention, which my player wants to be immune to, is the third ability of the PrC Wordbearer from the 3rd party book Quintessential Wizard. Which states that

quote:
"Creatures immune to critical hits are not affected..."

So I'm asking this great community; does heavy fortification confer "immunity" to critical hits or does it simply negate critical hits from melee or ranged attacks?

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 03 Aug 2013 12:31:30

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  13:20:36  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does NOT confer "immunity" to critical hits rather it reduces the "chance" of confirming a critical hit.

Fortification: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical force that protects vital areas of the wearer more effectively. When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a CHANCE that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

For Heavy Fortification, there is a 100% chance that when threatened by a critical hit that the character wearing the armor or shield will only receive normal damage.

In the example of the Wordbearer, the effect in question is not triggered by a critical hit (ie. it doesn't operate like a flaming burst weapon that only deals the extra fire damage when a critical hit is successfully struck).

Instead, the effect in question is auditory so would a character wearing fortification armor be immune to all sonic or hearing-dependent attacks? I think not, but a deaf target would be immune.

I suppose as the DM you could house-rule that a character wearing fortification armor would get a bonus on their saving throw in this case, although I would not.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  13:44:21  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

It does NOT confer "immunity" to critical hits rather it reduces the "chance" of confirming a critical hit.

Fortification: This suit of armor or shield produces a magical force that protects vital areas of the wearer more effectively. When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a CHANCE that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

For Heavy Fortification, there is a 100% chance that when threatened by a critical hit that the character wearing the armor or shield will only receive normal damage.

In the example of the Wordbearer, the effect in question is not triggered by a critical hit (ie. it doesn't operate like a flaming burst weapon that only deals the extra fire damage when a critical hit is successfully struck).

Instead, the effect in question is auditory so would a character wearing fortification armor be immune to all sonic or hearing-dependent attacks? I think not, but a deaf target would be immune.

I suppose as the DM you could house-rule that a character wearing fortification armor would get a bonus on their saving throw in this case, although I would not.

Indeed its an auditory effect, but I would rule that it works like the power word series of spells. Meaning a deaf person would still be affected.

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 03 Aug 2013 13:46:54
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  14:01:08  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha...Word of Power, Pain...silly word order...ya my mistake on that part...for some reason I didn't make the connection to the various Power Word spells until now :D
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  00:17:05  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ha...Word of Power, Pain...silly word order...ya my mistake on that part...for some reason I didn't make the connection to the various Power Word spells until now :D

This would ofc ad a whole new layer of ways to avoid the ability, but here, now I’m only interested in whether or not the ability it will affect a person wearing an armor of heavy fortification.

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 04 Aug 2013 00:18:30
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  00:35:19  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I previously stated, I don't see how heavy fortification armor would prevent the effect as the fortification ability only comes into effect when determining the CHANCE success of a Critical Threat, such as the flaming burst ability. So technically, a character wearing the armor is still prone to critical hits, they just have a 100% chance of avoiding the extra damage.

This Power Word-like effect is a spell-effect that is auditory and hinges on a saving throw, so I can't see how this would be negated by fortification armor.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  18:42:53  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I previously stated, I don't see how heavy fortification armor would prevent the effect as the fortification ability only comes into effect when determining the CHANCE success of a Critical Threat, such as the flaming burst ability. So technically, a character wearing the armor is still prone to critical hits, they just have a 100% chance of avoiding the extra damage.

This Power Word-like effect is a spell-effect that is auditory and hinges on a saving throw, so I can't see how this would be negated by fortification armor.

I'm glad we agree!!! I see the fortification armor needing an attack roll to "activate" or function. Not what seems to be a suparnatural, mind-effecting ability!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  23:51:31  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else have any comments on this?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000