Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halaster Blackcloaks history?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  23:53:35  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I did some rudemintry lookup on Halaster and could not find what I was looking for.

In Elimister in Hell, when he is being talked to by the goddess of magic, he says he was touched by shar.

Can someone provide more info on this?

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  00:05:18  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall this ever being discussed any further in any other novel or sourcebook, though I could be mistaken. My take on this has always been a way of 1) trying to explain some of Halaster's psychosis and 2) further attempts to add threads of realms lore for a concept that was later tacked on to the Realms to give it more validity and to show that it wasn't really "new" and had actually been around the whole time (ie. the Shadow Weave).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  00:08:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may have something to do with this entry from the Grand History of the Realms, but that's just a guess. Given that he lost his entire society of Imaskari, it may be he feels that he's felt the touch of the lady of loss... or it could be something else entirely. I don't know that it was ever revealed.

"The elite mages of Imaskar—foremost among them the archwizards Madryoch and Hilather—also rose to power during this period. Three millennia before the Netherese “discovered” the Plane of Shadow, Madryoch the Ebon Flame was busily cataloging its dark secrets. It was there that Madryoch crafted the Shadow Stone and set in motion his plan to overthrow Omanond and seize control of Imaskar. Fortunately for the empire, the young prodigy Hilather confronted Madryoch in the frontier fortress of Metos and ultimately trapped the shadow lord in the Plane of Imprisonment."

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  01:07:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We left it open to enable DMs to adjust matters to reflect Shar's inappropriate touching however they liked.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  01:47:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

We left it open to enable DMs to adjust matters to reflect Shar's inappropriate touching however they liked.

-- George Krashos

Nice choice of words!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  02:35:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar had essentially made him insane because she exposed him to the use of the Shadow Weave and other ways that drove him to the point of becoming mentally unstable.

After Mystra cured him, and up to the time of his death, he was mostly sane. But we also knew that Halaster could slip back into his periods of insanity every now and then... but it was nothing compared to what he experienced before the purging of the influence from Shar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  14:01:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

So, that's why he likes hanging out in the underDARK.... and why he's continually distracted while he's there. Wonder if his eyes are rolling in the back of his head.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  14:31:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my homebrew musings, I had assumed that Hilather was one of the few Imaskari who was fascinated by Shadow magic. Since Shar had not yet rested some of her power back, he probably became a Chosen of Mystryl during his studies (because the Shadow Weave had not yet been created).

Years later, he traveled to Thaeravel to further study Shadow Magic from the Talfir people. After their destruction, he became a Netherese Arcanist (incognito) and worked alongside Telamont and the other Shades. It was likely around this time they either discovered the Shadow Weave, or Shar first created it. After the Fall of Netheril, he became obsessed with Shadow Magic and its Weave, and eventually became one of Shar's (chosen (since he was no longer one of Mystryl's Chosen, since she died when Netheril fell).

At lest, that how I spin it in my games - YMMV.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2013 14:35:50
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  21:00:57  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shadowstone novel says the imaskari lords sought sources of magic that wouldn't force them to bow to any god.they knew how to bind demons to them to wield shadow magic.it seems like the same ritual the elves used in aryvandaar to wield high magic without a circle's support.halaster would still know these methods.he may have been seduced by shar before he realized who she was.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  00:42:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

The shadowstone novel says the imaskari lords sought sources of magic that wouldn't force them to bow to any god.they knew how to bind demons to them to wield shadow magic.it seems like the same ritual the elves used in aryvandaar to wield high magic without a circle's support.halaster would still know these methods.he may have been seduced by shar before he realized who she was.

This raises questions of "what was the demon weave and what was the shadow weave exactly".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000