Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Military Units of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  21:21:07  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi...

Can anyone tell my what cormyr army units are called?

From group, platoon, company, battalion, brigade, division, army corp, army, army group?

Thanks!

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  16:58:08  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure military units have ever been known as anything out of the ordinary (in real world terms). Army ranks each have unique names (as seen on p29 of Power of Faerun) but most sources I can think of just give a number of troops and don't split them into battalions and whatnot. Ultimately, I think this a question better posted on Ed's thread.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  17:08:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I double checked Brian Cortijo's "Crowns and Mantles: the Ranks and Titles of Cormyr" and found only references to patrols, companies and brigades.

You might want to try Brian's thread instead/also.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  17:49:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the book with me... Was there anything about this in Power of Faerūn?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  00:03:02  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow brigade (Homeland, P1:C1) - 60 drow + 100 slaves (Home., P1:C2)

Drow patrol group - 5 drow (Menzoberranzan [Boxed Set], B2:p8); 12 drow (Home., P3:C14); 13 drow (Home., P4:C17); 14 drow (Home., P4:C20); 18 drow (M[BS], B2:p22)

Passing reference to a battalion of dwarves (Siege of Darkness, P2:C8)

Dwarven brigade - of various sizes & types (The Legacy, P1;C3; as in "the Gutbuster Brigade"; SOD, P1:C2)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 01 Aug 2013 00:04:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  03:53:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't have the book with me... Was there anything about this in Power of Faerūn?

I know it's not as reliable, but I seem to recall the Cormyr supplement providing *some* breakdown of military units for Cormyr's army.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  17:35:38  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I know it's not as reliable, but I seem to recall the Cormyr supplement providing *some* breakdown of military units for Cormyr's army.
I gave that supplement a look (thinking the same as you, Sage) but all I could find was mention of Duke Bherue wanting to keep the Purple Dragons swift and mobile, so as to avoid set piece battles that might lead to the slaughter of a lot of loyal dragons.

This LINK is to information that is NOT canon Realmslore, but is otherwise well thought out on the subject of Cormyrean military units.

EDIT: I checked Power of Faerūn. It had info on ranks in the Purple Dragons, the main keep at High Horn and medals/decorations for service, but no military unit breakdowns.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 01 Aug 2013 17:41:36
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  19:30:14  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander
Can anyone tell my what cormyr army units are called?

From group, platoon, company, battalion, brigade, division, army corp, army, army group?
Most of these titles are not used in Cormyrean military organization. Any attempt to map Cormyr's army to a real-world military organization table will fail, for a number of reasons, not least of which is that there are nobles and royals around to screw everything up.

The two basic units around which Cormyr's Purple Dragons are based around are the company (for field units) and garrisons (for location-based groups, like city garrisons and the Dragons out of High Horn). Individual dragons are part of a company or brigade, and can be assigned within that unit based on the commanding officer's needs.

A "patrol" is not a unit as such, but a group of dragons set to patrol an area for a period of time. Patrols often--but don't always--have the same dragons in them day after day, and usually have a telsword or first sword at their head, depending on the size of the patrol. Patrols are not standing units; they're assigned as needed, and are often the result of a first sword sending out specific men or saying something to the effect of "Bron, Gyr, Caffer, you're with me." In terms of duties, patrols are roughly equivalent to modern-day fire teams or squads (in U.S. terminology), depending on size.

In times of war, when companies fight side by side one another and larger organization is needed, temporary kadrathen are formed. These units are groups of specifically trained and outfitted soldiers (cavalry, for example, or heavy infantry) that can be deployed as a group.

Companies can vary greatly in size based on need, location, purpose, and rank of commander; they range anywhere from just over 40 to upwards of 200.

A brigade is a grouping of companies that answer to a single officer (constal or higher). A brigade of field troops is often set to cover a set geographic area for a period of time, while some garrisons (in particular the watch in Arabel) are simply too large to be properly called "companies."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  21:32:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Roman Century and thus corresponding Legion varied in size over the years of the Republic and the Empire. The numbers can change in a unit having the same name.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  22:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

The Roman Century and thus corresponding Legion varied in size over the years of the Republic and the Empire. The numbers can change in a unit having the same name.
Quite so.

What I mean by the above, though, is that unit sizes aren't standard.

In modern military thinking, a "platoon" has a specific meaning, as does "company," "brigade," "regiment," and every other unit title. A military unit with a particular name has this many soldiers in it, of this and that type, commanded by an officer of this rank, divided into these subunits. There's a reason such rigidity in thought is called "regimented thinking," after all.

Not so in Cormyr and other places in the Realms. A swordcaptain might independently lead his own company of a hundred men, answering only to the High Marshal, while a lionar (the next rank up) serves as the garrison commander in a small outpost which houses only fifty, or as a lieutenant to an ornrion in command of that same hundred men, in a brigade of four companies commanded by a constal. The swordcaptain has two "bosses" (the High Marshal and the king); the lionar has at least four, and significantly less actual authority and command.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  02:49:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I gave that supplement a look (thinking the same as you, Sage) but all I could find was mention of Duke Bherue wanting to keep the Purple Dragons swift and mobile, so as to avoid set piece battles that might lead to the slaughter of a lot of loyal dragons.
Thanks Jeremy.

It's been a long time since I read Cormyr, and I know a lot of folk often tend to look at this source as somewhat out-of-step with how Cormyr should be detailed in the Realmslore. But it does offer some curious insights into the Forest Kingdom that aren't available anywhere else in the lore. So I often refer to it as a reliable source for that reason.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000