Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Hyskosa's Hexad & The Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  15:12:36  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am always looking forward to future campaigns, because planning a good campaign takes time.

Here's my question: If Hyskosa's Hexad from Ravenloft (in which if certain events occur in Ravenloft in the correct sequence, the Realms of Ravenloft return to their original planes of existence), other than the crossover Castle Spulzeer, what other parts of Ravenloft could return to the Realms? Obviously canonically, Strahd couldn't (he is from Greyhawk), but which other Darklords would fit well?

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  15:20:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't aware Strahd was from Oerth. I always assumed it was Random Unnamed World #7.

Hazlik is Thayan, as I recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  16:48:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where has it been stated that Strahd was from Oerth? I don't recall ever reading that in any official source.

As for what parts of the Realms have found themselves in the Dread Realms and could, thus, possibly return as per your campaign idea:-

From -- The Realms:-
quote:
Draga Saltbitter – was a pirate in the Sword Coast
Chardath Spulzeer – from area south of Waterdeep (see: Castle Spulzeer and The Forgotten Terror)
Gondegal – conqueror of Arabel and Knight of the Shadows.
Harkon Lukas – grew up in Cormyr, now in Kartakass
Hazlik – Red Wizard from Thay
Jander Sunstar
Salizarr the Meazel – lived under Cormyr’s catacombs now in Necropolis
Nova Vassa – from Vaasa and Hordelands
Von Kharkov – Lord of Valachan
From -- Kara-Tur:-
quote:
Domain of I'Cath
Jahed of the Stalkers (see: MCII)
Mayonaka (see: MCII)

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  19:00:17  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, general assumption with Strahd because of the original I4: Ravenloft module. The default setting then was still Oerth, was it not?

Although, after looking at who wrote it again, it very well could have been set in Dragonlance...

Thanks Sage, for the list.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros

Edited by - Joebing on 13 Jul 2013 19:07:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2013 :  04:45:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Sorry, general assumption with Strahd because of the original I4: Ravenloft module. The default setting then was still Oerth, was it not?

There really wasn't a default setting, then. A lot of stuff was for Greyhawk, but most stuff didn't have a setting imprint and was vague on anything beyond the adventure area. The idea was to make things easily adaptable for any DM's personal world.

I think only 3E had the default setting, and even that wasn't much more than references to deities. I've long speculated -- without anything other than my own impressions to back this up -- that making Oerth the default setting for 3E was part of the price for getting Gary Gygax onboard.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2013 :  11:29:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

A lot of the earlier material was written with GREYHAWK in mind, but I wouldn't call it the "default" setting. I think it was usually just left to the whims of the individual DM, originally, about what world these modules took place on.

I don't think we can definitively say that Strahd was from Oerth, either, since that really doesn't match with what we do know about his time *before* he was taken to Realm of Dread [specifically, I'm thinking of info in the first I, Strahd novel and the first campaign boxed set for the RAVENLOFT setting].

Of course, the 3e material published by White Wolf left Strahd's original homeworld very vague. But even making a connection between what we knew from those sources, and what was sparingly published about Oerth in 3e core D&D would be difficult.

I'm not entirely sure how Strahd's pre-RAVENLOFT life has been treated in 4e [or even if it has been treated in the current edition of the game]. So the possibility of connecting Strahd's homeworld with Oerth exists there, I suppose, but, again, I find this unlikely given past lore.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000