Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Neverwinter: A Liches Lament *light spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  00:19:42  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So this is a tad bit of a spoiler for those that play the neverwinter game, and for those that never have touched it, maybe you will appreciate the context of it all.

The basic setup is that, the player is in the neverwinter graveyard, and kelmeavor doomguides are trying to put things back in the ground, as they keep coming back from the dead. The character comes across a unusual item which ends up speaking to them. The hilarious part of this is that, it is not just text, but also voice interaction , and the actor they had do this part played it with gusto. So for your enjoyment, some transcripts.

quote:
Foolish Adventurer! You have picked up no mere bauble, but the phylactery of Zarifrax, all-powerful lich! Now, Prepare for a battle of wills for your very…
*Sigh* You know, I'm really just not into this.
Let me be upfront(sic) with you: I'm tired of the epic battle of good against evil. I was controlling that undead you destroyed so I could find a nice quiet spot where my phylactery won't be disturbed for a few hundred years.
You seem a capable sort. How about I offer you a reward for helping me find a resting place?

quote:
No, this won't do at all!
The Doomguides have been here. I can still feel the smug sanctimoniousness of their rituals radiating from the very stone.
How did we end up with Undead-hating Kelemvor as a god of death anyway? I, for one, blame Cyric. Now Jergal, there was a god of death! Of course, Bhaal and Myrkul had their qualities, too.
Bah, I'm rambling. Let's try the next spot.

quote:
No, no, no! This location is even worse!
The Thayans would surely find my phylactery here. Then I'd either have to tutor some young power-mad necromancer, or become a lackey for Szass Tam, or end up trying to "reason" with Valindra Shadowmantle.
Now, don't get me wrong. I respect Valindra's dedication to evil, but that woman is simply not right in the head.
No, this location won't do either. Let's try another.

quote:
What have they done to this place!
This would have been a perfect location. Commanding view, lovely stonework, and now look at it! Ruined! I bet this was done by some greedy adventurer looking for a few measly gold pieces or a paltry magic sword. I tell you, there's just no respect anymore.
That does it! I've been searching for the perfect spot for a decade, and apparently there's no quiet place left on all Faerūn. Well, this is it. I'm done!
Take me to a Doomguide. Let them destroy me. I don't want to unlive on this planet anymore.

quote:
By Kelemvor's Blade! Silverwolfer, this is the phylactery of a lich, a powerful undead mage. It is a miracle it did not try to consume your very soul.
We Doomguides strive to destroy the undead, but for one this powerful, that may not be possible. Fortunately, we have constructed an impenetrable vault in a secure location which safely hold (sic) such evils for centuries, if that's what it takes.
Curious. I'd swear the spirit within seems to be... laughing.
It must be mad. No matter. We shall imprison it without delay.
quote:

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  10:07:30  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love that quest, so nice little lore bits in it.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Learned Scribe

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  14:05:22  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I don't want to unlive on this planet anymore" - Best part. I was worried this game would take itself too seriously. I don't want as many pop-culture-heavy-references as wow has, but this was a nice laugh.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11803 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  14:09:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, if I didn't hate the interface, I'd be playing that game just based off this. Hell, maybe I should log in again. I hate the constant mouselook though. I much prefer a targeting system.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  22:13:26  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is rather nice, I spend maybe 40 mins a day if that on the game, so I sit down, enjoy my moment, and pull out. I don't let it get old or stagnate, as I don't do marathons on it, and potentially ruin what am there for. The forgotten realms interaction.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  23:19:38  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How is the Neverwinter game? I've been curious but am a little wary to get pulled into the time sucking vortex we all call mmorpg's. ;)
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  23:26:24  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

How is the Neverwinter game? I've been curious but am a little wary to get pulled into the time sucking vortex we all call mmorpg's. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  15:07:37  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just did this quest last night. I thought it was so very funny. I got the quest before my husband. He gets a little frustrated when I stop and read all the lore that I pick up. :D
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1269 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  23:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silverwolfer, thanks so much for posting this! I played through that awhile back and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of that quest, but I didn't have the presence of mind to make a transcript! I wished I had almost as soon as the quest was over. Many thanks!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000