Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What If... lantan had survived?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2013 :  23:11:16  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How vastly different do you think 4E would have been, if lantan had survived the spellplauge, how vastly different do you think the spread of Gond and the influence of things once magic had gone all haywire.

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2013 :  23:55:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lantan, or a portion of it, is probably sitting beneath the ocean under some sort of shielding. like an atlantis. tsunami's have had to been a concern at one time, maybe they had some sort of backup plan that saved some of the population?
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  00:10:02  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do make a good point now that I think about it. I almost wonder if the Spellplague reverted many places to persecuting spellcasters. It would be easy for common folks to lay the blame of a magical disaster at the feet of those who use magic. If magic use had a generation or two with a high distaste in users, it's possible Gond and other artificers had an influx of followers and those wishing to rely upon the mechanical.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  00:15:36  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it is almost , it seems an excuse they got wiped out , so they would not have to explain why the technology would not have replaced magic and really alter faerun behavior.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  00:42:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figure Lantan went to Abeir, where they spent the last century perfecting tech that was impossible on Toril, and they will return in 5e with Warp drives, blasters, and Battlestars.

Or not.....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  00:54:16  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as there's a gnome chief engineer LaForge who targets Shade enclave with a transphasic torpedo.

I'm not sure how many folks have played Skyrim, but I really liked how the dwarven holds had those dwarven centurion and sphere warriors. I always pictured Lantan having constructs like that in plenty.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  01:05:29  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would explain how spelljammer is coming back.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  01:58:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats actually not a bad idea. Lantan did have a spelljamming port during 2 and 3rd ed if I recall correctly. They might have launched several spelljamming craft as emergency vessels, with quite a few very knowledgable Lantanni elites.

Their return could spur a restoration of some of the submerged cities of Lantan. With the combined epic magi-tech of the spelljammers and the surviving underwater citydwellers they would pneumaticly rise their (upper) cities above the waves again. During sieges, storms or maintenance periods they can lower beneath the waves again if they so choose.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  02:09:58  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spelljamming is an excellent idea. Though with Lantan, I'd almost prefer it to be steam driven flying airships or some sort. Something like Count Duku's solar sailer ship would be cool.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  03:51:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Thats actually not a bad idea. Lantan did have a spelljamming port during 2 and 3rd ed if I recall correctly. They might have launched several spelljamming craft as emergency vessels, with quite a few very knowledgable Lantanni elites.

Their return could spur a restoration of some of the submerged cities of Lantan. With the combined epic magi-tech of the spelljammers and the surviving underwater citydwellers they would pneumaticly rise their (upper) cities above the waves again. During sieges, storms or maintenance periods they can lower beneath the waves again if they so choose.

Realmspace says they have a spelljamming port. I don't know of any FR lore to back this up.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  06:20:38  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my Realms Lantan did survive and, like Eilserus said, is similar in style to Atlantis. I took elements of Atlantis and the video game Bio-Shock to make Lantan work. They used magic and artifacts to maintain life underwater. They adapted their sentient Gondsmen (basically Warforged) to the water and started using the wildlife in their technology.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  06:26:25  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if a guy could fuse magi-tech with a Lantan aspect. I'm thinking of Final Fantasy 3 with Kefka and gang in this regard. Though I'm not sure the Lantan folks would drain an Esper like creature. Well, maybe some of them would. Course you could say they use magical creatures to do it, like medusa or umberhulks.

Edited by - Eilserus on 05 Jul 2013 06:26:57
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  08:36:02  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So long, farewell and tahnks for all the fish

*watches all the gnomes head towards space*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000