Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Changing feats
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  21:40:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi...

Have any of you ever played with to opportunity, to switch feats or change feats? Some feat might be good at low level, which in turn are utter useless when the characters become epic level.

Anyone ever allowed players to trade, switch or change "old" useless feats for new and better?

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  21:58:06  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I house-ruled the Toughness feat to read "increases your Constitution by 2 points for the purposes of hit points only" mere moments after first reading it; I think a lot of us did. As written, it's probably the weakest feat ever published.

I have also adopted player edits of feats for various game sessions... I had smart players.

Exchanging or modifying old feats should be possible, imo, on a long interval like every 10 levels or so. In particular, the transition from "normal" rules to "epic" rules should prompt a rewrite of the character sheet. But I imagine that's controversial.

I just think the character sheet, and the rules, should not be allowed to get in the way of (A) fun or (B) allowing the players to do at least some of the cool things they want to do with their characters. And tying up feat slots with no-longer-useful feats is a bottomless bog of annoyance.

My 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2013 :  06:03:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I allow changing of feats at level ups. Often this is because a feat sounds good on paper but when used in practice, often doesn't work like the Player thought or doesn't come up often to be deserved as a feat OR the player just gets bored with it.
Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2013 :  04:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My campaign allows for limited alteration of feats at times when a player has a significant change - in class, outlook, race (due to reincarnation, for example), etc. But it is always connected to the story and always takes weeks of in-game "training" time.

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000