Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Just curious...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  03:59:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How many of you are also on the WotC website? I'm a registered user, but I don't go on there much. Honestly, I find it somewhat hard to navigate the site and forums, in part I think because my experience is limited mainly to the Realms. There are some other reasons I don't go on more, but I won't go into them.

I was wondering if I should go on there more, though. WotC designers/employees/etc seem more likely to pay attention to their own site, though I know some check here too. All gaming aside, what are the benefits of posting in the WotC forums?

Sweet water and light laughter

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  05:03:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still on there. And have been since about September 2001. I don't post as often now, though, and mainly just check in to see what some of my favourite designers are chatting about.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  05:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I registered YEARS ago (I ran D&D minis for a short period at a FLGS), and I was active on those forums the most. Since the format change and 4e, I really haven't visited, nor have I found it... necessary? I enjoy Candlekeep, Privatteer Press's, Paizo's, and a few others and don't see a need to go back.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  06:29:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still on there but post very little. In fact, I reckon I'm the oldest still active registered poster there as I signed up way back in 2001 and before Sage!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 25 Mar 2013 06:30:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  08:07:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm still on there but post very little. In fact, I reckon I'm the oldest still active registered poster there as I signed up way back in 2001 and before Sage!

-- George Krashos

That's true. I think both you and Faraer are probably the only two oldest members, aside from myself, who still visit the Wizards' forums from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  10:09:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to visit the WotC website daily, until 4E came out. Since everything was put behind a paywall, I don't go to their site unless someone here links to a free article.

I used to be active on their forums, but I was wrongfully banned from there years ago, and I won't go back. (Those interested can read the tale of my banning
here -- I've been asked about that more than once, so I just link to that version now.)

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  12:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to be active on the WotC boards. I started on the FR site, but left to come here just after the big novel dust-up back in 2003 or 2004. Then I moved over to the old 309 board, the Character Optimization board where I spent a good deal of time fielding questions about the warlock. Which is ironic, since warlocks don't exist in my view of the Realms, but I find the class interesting. I haven't been back since 4e, and I've moved the warlock compilation I created to other boards, though I think it's still on WotC as well.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  13:28:03  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im a pretty current poster there, probably as much as I am here. Im often on the D&DN boards a lot and verh little on the FR ones.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  14:56:21  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to frequent the WotC forums, until things went bonkers over there somewhere around 4E. I only come here now for forums but do go to the wotc site once a week for Ed's columns. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  18:41:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I used to be active on the WotC boards. I started on the FR site, but left to come here just after the big novel dust-up back in 2003 or 2004.

I first signed up over there right after the banning of novel discussions. When I came over here, I used to joke about using the "n-word" on those forums, since they were strict to the point of overzealousness in quelling discussions about novels.

I still think it was ridiculous that the only one of my supposed three strikes that I actually earned was a discussion about a TSR/WotC person who did not write any novels! Someone asked if Skip Williams had written any novels, I said that he hadn't, but that I'd be interested if he did. And thus I received a strike for discussing novels.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  20:13:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I am AUG , 2005, became very active in some discussion talking about 4th Edition plans, then some about how 4th Edition rolled out - or not.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  20:17:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I used to visit the WotC website daily, until 4E came out. Since everything was put behind a paywall, I don't go to their site unless someone here links to a free article.

I used to be active on their forums, but I was wrongfully banned from there years ago, and I won't go back. (Those interested can read the tale of my banning
here -- I've been asked about that more than once, so I just link to that version now.)

And I refuse to visit a site that bans my friend Wooly, so I haven't been there for years.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  20:30:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

And I refuse to visit a site that bans my friend Wooly, so I haven't been there for years.

I appreciate that, but I've no problem with anyone else being on that site. I'd certainly hate to be the only reason someone missed out on some of the good stuff I saw over there, back in the day. I don't hold any particular animosity towards the WotC forums or anyone over there, it's just a matter of principle, to me.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Mar 2013 20:31:23
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  23:49:01  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I poke around sometimes, but really, not a lot. It just seems often to be grump fest whenever I happen to head over. I might just have horrible timing.
I like it here much better.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  01:11:15  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's too tough to navigate around there. I heard they frowned on discussing the novels a while back, and I never looked back. Even the few links I saved to articles over there are all busted. So there's little incentive for me to bother.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  02:19:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

It's too tough to navigate around there.
I don't find it tough to navigate, but at the same time, the current forum architecture does have me waxing nostalgic over the "older, classic" forum structure Wizards used during the 3e era. Maybe it was just a consequence of my being more active over that during that time, but I really loved it. Aside from the "bump" in the road that was Gleemax.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  03:25:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's too tough to navigate around there. I heard they frowned on discussing the novels a while back, and I never looked back. Even the few links I saved to articles over there are all busted. So there's little incentive for me to bother.

I believe that have since re-allowed discussions on novels, but I am obviously not the best person to ask, on that one.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  03:38:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I believe that have since re-allowed discussions on novels, but I am obviously not the best person to ask, on that one.

Novels can be discussed, yes, but under heavy regulation as I recall. Though, in the few times I've engaged in novel-based discussions on the Wizards boards, I haven't really noticed too much Moderator-oversight.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  05:44:17  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still visit the FR forums.

Note: there's quite a bit of free content on the (non forum) space at WotC, some of it dating back several years, and free content in general is added to the website on a near daily basis.

Regarding novels, novel discussion does appear to be allowed on the regular forum space, but (at least on the FR Forum) it's not overrun with trolls like before. There's also the WotC Novels Book Club, which has its own space on the forums as well.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  14:16:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When Erik said they'd be “resurrecting” the Novels Book Club, I registered. But then I found myself not that interested. I even forgot my user ID and password. I only visit the site to check out new novel releases for Magic: the Gathering and Ebberon.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  16:57:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I still visit the FR forums.

Note: there's quite a bit of free content on the (non forum) space at WotC, some of it dating back several years, and free content in general is added to the website on a near daily basis.

Have they increased their offerings of free content? Before the put up the paywall, everything on the site was free, and they offered good Realmslore and other good stuff on a regular basis. When they put up the paywall, I rarely saw anything more than previews, and the regular updates that were previously free became for-pay only. Yes, the older content was still there, but I found nothing new of interest that was still free. It's why I now only go to their site when looking for specific content. I used to go there daily, sometimes more oft, when I was expecting new Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  17:15:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I appreciate that, but I've no problem with anyone else being on that site. I'd certainly hate to be the only reason someone missed out on some of the good stuff I saw over there, back in the day. I don't hold any particular animosity towards the WotC forums or anyone over there, it's just a matter of principle, to me.

Well...I'm not quite that narrow minded....I didnt like how they handled the novel discussions. And I do check Ed's Forging The Realms when I remember to.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 27 Mar 2013 15:41:12
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  18:56:28  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have they increased their offerings of free content?
Check the Daily D&D section and see for yourself.

quote:

I rarely saw anything more than previews, and the regular updates that were previously free became for-pay only.
The Gleemax debacle coupled with WotC trying to get the paid content portion of their website going (Dragon, Dungeon, character tools/character builder and rules compendium) didn't seem to leave much time for creating free online content.

That said, WotC didn't put everything behind a paywall. To me it seemed like for awhile they just weren't producing anything extra while they sorted out their (online) mess.

quote:

I used to go there daily, sometimes more oft, when I was expecting new Realmslore.
I can't imagine you're unaware of the Forging the Realms articles. The previews for Ed's Elminster's Forgotten Realms were pretty good too.

Of course there's always buzz and activity on their website before a new edition comes out. I'm curious to see the rate of content updates and production for their website once 5E hits the shelves.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  20:13:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Have they increased their offerings of free content?
Check the Daily D&D section and see for yourself.

I have looked. Considering what they used to offer for free, I am quite underwhelmed by their current offerings.

And I remain unwilling to pay for online content when I have to pay an all-inclusive price for that which I have no use for. A lesser fee for just the online "magazines" or even a pay-per-article approach would be acceptable to me, but all-or-nothing means I choose nothing.

quote:

quote:

I rarely saw anything more than previews, and the regular updates that were previously free became for-pay only.
The Gleemax debacle coupled with WotC trying to get the paid content portion of their website going (Dragon, Dungeon, character tools/character builder and rules compendium) didn't seem to leave much time for creating free online content.

That said, WotC didn't put everything behind a paywall. To me it seemed like for awhile they just weren't producing anything extra while they sorted out their (online) mess.

The material that would be of interest to me is now almost entirely behind the paywall, and that material is stuff they used to give us for free, in addition to print magazines.

I was already banned from their forums, at least a couple years before the Gleemax debacle. I was aware of Gleemax, but not affected by it, and therefore can't say much about it.

It's like the novels ban that was in place when I first went there -- I will readily comment on how they enforced it, because that affected me. It's part of why I later made jokes about "novels" being the "n-word" -- because they came down on novel discussions so harshly, even with something as simple as saying "no, this person has not written a novel."

But I can't say as much about the ban itself, because it was there when I first signed up. I wasn't affected by not being able to discuss something I already wasn't discussing.

quote:

quote:

I used to go there daily, sometimes more oft, when I was expecting new Realmslore.
I can't imagine you're unaware of the Forging the Realms articles. The previews for Ed's Elminster's Forgotten Realms were pretty good too.

I am only aware of the Forging the Realms articles because the links are being shared here.

Previews are all well and good, but I don't want those previews to be in place of exclusive content.

I would have prefered it if the previews we got of El's Realms were actual extracts, instead of "here's the content on this page!" with the text cut off at the page break.

quote:

Of course there's always buzz and activity on their website before a new edition comes out. I'm curious to see the rate of content updates and production for their website once 5E hits the shelves.

I'll prolly look more at the site then, but I expect a lot of "this new edition rocks, and here's why!" like we saw on previous updates. And while that might be of interest, it's the lore that I want. My interest in rulesets has greatly diminished, and it appears that WotC's online offerings have similarly declined.

I hate to be part of the "things were better in the old days!" crowd, but when I compare the print magazines and the free online content we used to get to the virtual magazines and the dribbles of free content they now offer, the difference is quite notable. I still love the updated Wyrms of the North articles, and the Waterdeep News, and Mintiper's Chapbooks, and Perilous Gateways -- all great stuff they offered for free, alongside the print magazines.

WotC, and TSR before them, has gotten a lot of my money, over the years. I'd be happy to keep supporting them, but I don't care for much of what they are offering now, and I'm unwilling to pay for the rest when it's coupled with things I don't want and that are useless to me.

I miss refreshing my browser, waiting for the new content to be uploaded... WotC just isn't offering me anything, any more. This will hopefully change with the release of the 5E Realms.

I don't check any other gaming sites, either, for the record. My interest in BattleTech has waned, so I don't check those sites any more. Beyond their weekly fiction, Paizo doesn't offer much online content (that I am aware of), and I don't like their forum structure. The Privateer Press site similarly has little online content, and I am 0 for 2 with positive experiences on their forums.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  12:36:41  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly I didnt know that WOTC even had proper forums until I joined Candlekeep. I just visit to check out the latest novel launches and maybe download a sample chapter or two.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:52:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have looked. Considering what they used to offer for free, I am quite underwhelmed by their current offerings.
In terms of quantity of Realmslore, sure it's not as much as the near-library of old material, but then that material built up at the rate of about two small articles per week over a seven year period of time.

To me what's important is that they're releasing free Realmslore on a weekly basis and adding to the already existing library. The size of one of Ed’s Forging the Realms articles is about equal to any two older articles from back in the day. In terms of word count released on a weekly basis, we’re getting about the same as we used to.

In addition to this the new-edition related material, D&D material in general and the amount of daily offerings are quite considerable. They're also asking a lot of feedback. Many an article asks the reader polling questions, which help to shape the new edition.

quote:

And I remain unwilling to pay for online content when I have to pay an all-inclusive price for that which I have no use for.
How is this approach any different than charging a subscription rate for print magazines?

I'm like you in that I don't (currently) use the 4E rules. I hardly read anything in either Dragon or Dungeon that's not Realms related, but I do read the online free content in the regular columns (Dragon's Eye View, Wandering Monsters, DM Experience) and answering the polling questions when I feel compelled to.

I could see where you're coming from if WotC price gouged their users, but the price they charge to access the online Dragon & Dungeon Realms content is a paltry amount. If they sold their articles piecemeal, I'd expect to pay about what I'm paying now just for the Realms content.

Non-Realms material never kept me from purchasing the paper versions of Dragon and Dungeon magazines and it doesn’t now. And I get a better deal anyway since my subscription allows me full access to back issues.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 27 Mar 2013 17:53:54
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:54:38  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The material that would be of interest to me is now almost entirely behind the paywall, and that material is stuff they used to give us for free, in addition to print magazines.
I’m pretty sure none of the series of free Realms material were continued in (online) Dragon or Dungeon. Nor did they continue on some sort of WotC-created web page of Realmslore that only paying users could access. (If they did, somebody show me a link because I missed out.)

Instead, WotC started regular article like Eye on the Realms and the Backdrop series (that cover nations and places). I consider these as magazine and sourcebook level content.

Paying a subscription rate for online access to content like this is a good value (to me at least) because that cost would otherwise be spread out amongst sourcebooks and a regular paper magazine subscription.

quote:

I'll prolly look more at the site then, but I expect a lot of "this new edition rocks, and here's why!" like we saw on previous updates.
Take a look. It's a whole lot more interrogative. They're asking questions and looking for feedback.

quote:

I hate to be part of the "things were better in the old days!" crowd, but when I compare the print magazines and the free online content we used to get to the virtual magazines and the dribbles of free content they now offer, the difference is quite notable.
You’re right, the difference is noticeable: we’ve gotten more regular Realms coverage in the online magazines than we did in the print magazines.

It’s unfortunate WotC didn’t produce any regular free Realmslore content for a few years after 4E hit the shelves, because it’s a great way to hook people and bring them back to the website, but as I mentioned earlier what we’re getting for free now via Ed’s Forging the Realms articles are about the same size as the one or two overlapping articles per week we used to get from 2000 to 2007.

Where I think we really missed out was on the print sourcebook side of things.

quote:

I still love the updated Wyrms of the North articles, and the Waterdeep News, and Mintiper's Chapbooks, and Perilous Gateways -- all great stuff they offered for free, alongside the print magazines.
I like all that stuff too and I’m glad it’s all still available for free online at the WotC website.

Here’s how I look at it: I'm more interested in enjoying Realms content and having a good time than I am in taking a hard look at what WotC is doing and deciding whether or not I like their approach as a precondition of me enjoying the Realms.

I appreciate free content, but I believe good Realmslore has value and it shouldn’t, as a rule, be free.

WotC produced something like 25 Realms sourcebooks and adventures over the life of the 3E Realms (I purchased all of them), but only four true Realms sourcebooks for 4E (I purchased 3 of these). Free content makes sense for 3E, but in the 4E era WotC isn’t taking in nearly as much money from the Realms as it used to because the Realms wasn’t their focus. It makes sense that they wouldn’t be budgeting money and resources to produce free content.

So I’m glad that things appear to be changing: they’re much more focused on the Realms and we’re getting free content again. This is a good thing.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 27 Mar 2013 17:56:18
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  19:56:53  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Wooly and "the n-word"

That's awesome!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  20:02:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Re: Wooly and "the n-word"

That's awesome!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  16:56:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I agree with Jeremy's summation of what the DDi IS, here's the problem with all of that:

1) When they first announced the DDi, they gave us a few months of free content... which was absolutely ABYSMAL. It wasn't just minimalist... it was like they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel (ie, 'the headless Zhent'). Here they were trying to prove it was worth buying, and then they show us something we could not run away from fast enough. Their marks: I give them an 'A' for the concept of the DDi, but they failed miserably on delivery (initially). That first few months should have left us eating out of their hands, and instead it left most of us with the impression that the DDi was something we would never, EVER want. You can never make a second 'first impression'. They blew it, end of story.

2) Although I agree that what they are producing now is worth the price, the problem is is that most of the 'volumes of Realmslore' you speak of pertain to an era most of the fanbase has no interest in. They could produce an encyclopedic amount of fluff each month, and it still wouldn't change people's minds, simply because the fluff they are producing is not what most folks care to see. If I weren't running a completely Frankensteined version of the Realms ATM, I would probably dismiss most of it myself. Its only because I've completely walked away from the canon Realms (and the novels) that I can now enjoy the material they are currently producing.

So here is the the problem in a nutshell - Who are they producing the 5e Realms for? Do they even know? When they split the fanbase with the timejump, they separated the novel fans from the gamers (for the most part). As many of us who game can attest to, we can use anything from anywhere and make it work; not just other eras, but other settings and game systems entirely. But the people who follow the STORY that is the Forgotten Realms, they need continuity and consistency, otherwise the immersion factor gets broken. There is this huge gap - the 'Grand Canyon' of lore - that needs to be back-filled in now, and I just don't know if it can be done. At least, not in a way that will please everyone.

I am not taking any sides here - I actually hope they do make it work. I daresay I will be amazed if/when it does. In fact, the only reason I am still holding out any hope at all is because the the guy who built the ship is steering it again, and if anyone knows what she can do, its him.

On Topic:
So if you are a gamer, then the DDi is worth it. If you are a fan of the 4e realms, then it is worth it. If you are both, it should be a no-brainer. If you are neither a gamer nor a fan of the current era, then I am just not seeing the DDi being a viable option. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of people in that category - people who buy setting material but don't play. Far more then they used to realize (Ed ALWAYS knew... and I think they see it now to).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Mar 2013 16:59:05
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  17:52:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

While I agree with Jeremy's summation of what the DDi IS, here's the problem with all of that: When they first announced the DDi, they gave us a few months of free content... which was absolutely ABYSMAL.
So you thought the free Backdrop: Cormyr article, with the awesome map by Mike Schley and the timeline and a rundown of Cormyr’s history through to 1479 DR sucked?

Damn, tough crowd.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

2) Although I agree that what they are producing now is worth the price, the problem is that most of the 'volumes of Realmslore' you speak of pertain to an era most of the fanbase has no interest in.
Assuming you’re talking to me here.

First, how do you know “most of the fanbase” has no interest in the content produced?

Consider: for most of their existence, the online versions of Dragon and Dungeon magazines have been set up by WotC to allow people to download articles individually from the two magazines (only within the last five months have they started combining each month’s articles into single-issue downloads).

Ergo WotC has been able to track on a per-article basis what’s popular and what isn’t.

Of the various articles, the Eye series that “most” of the fanbase isn’t interested in have been going since about November of 2009, i.e. three years and four months.

It’s easy to assume anything post-Spellplague will automatically be dismissed by anyone who was introduced to the Realms before 4E, but I have a hard time believing only post-Spellplague Realms fans are downloading the Eye articles. This is because good Realmslore is good Realmslore. For people who enjoy imersive, Volo’s Guide-style writing, the Eye articles are right up their alley.

This naturally includes people who came to the Realms before 4E.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 28 Mar 2013 17:53:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000