Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Exactly Is the Sundering? (Conjectures)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  19:12:59  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I think the Crystal Shard might actually be in the plane of Shadow. So, this might make sense. I could be wrong though. I know it was on another plane that bumped up against the Prime Material (well, pre 4e cosmology anyway).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  23:33:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

So so far what we know about the Sundering is:

[...]

Mystra is returning.

[...]
I don't think it's simply a matter of saying "Mystra is returning" in an event referred to as 'The Sundering.' The return of Mystra would be more appropriately tied to something like 'The Reunification,' for example.

It just sounds far too incongruous for me to believe it's that easy. I get that you're just listing what we can expect from this event, but I also don't believe Mystra's return will be anything but an event it and of itself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  00:36:28  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without giving too much away, Mystra's Return predates The Sundering I believe. Perhaps her reclaiming of the Weave may play a part?
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  01:11:25  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps return is the wrong word. Perhaps rebuilding would be better.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  01:27:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

Without giving too much away, Mystra's Return predates The Sundering I believe.
Yes, as part of the "Sage of Shadowdale" saga.
quote:
Perhaps her reclaiming of the Weave may play a part?
I'd expect it would be something more akin to the restoration of the [New] Weave -- rather than a reclamation, and toward a re-establishment of a more vibrantly fortified Realms-Weave connection that would never again suffer from the whims of both mortals-who-should-know-better and mad gods.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  04:33:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not just the Weave, but the Shadow Weave as well (which also collapsed during the Spellplague). That's probably what Shade is trying to do (as hinted in the blurb of The Adversary)—kidnapping the Chosen of several gods to siphon their magic and knowledge and help Shar reconstruct the Shadow Weave.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  09:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like the whole premise of the shadow weave, never have.

Edited by - Arcanus on 29 Mar 2013 09:51:50
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  14:24:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling Shar's going to try and pull Abier and Toril into the Shadowfell, trapping everyone in that dark realm forever. Mawhahahaha. ;D
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  14:50:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Ditto. I don't see that it does anything for the setting other than make Shar more prominent and to focus on the previously non-existent war between Shar and Mystra. It also elevates Shade to the position of über-baddies, at the expense of many other groups previously detailed in Realmslore.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  15:04:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a feeling Shar's going to try and pull Abier and Toril into the Shadowfell, trapping everyone in that dark realm forever. Mawhahahaha.;D
Try, yes. Succeed, no.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  20:22:58  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious about what important events within the Sundering each of the books cover. The Reaver for example is set around the Sea of Fallen Stars so something important is going to happen in that region.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  20:57:46  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some nations on the Sea of Fallen Stars both past and present Mulhorand, Unther, Cormyr, Sembia, Akanul, Thesk, Algorand, Chessenta, Chondath, Nathlan, Turmish, Westgate. While Netheril proper doesn't share a border, Shade controls Sembia and sometimes sends the City of Sakkor to keep an eye on things. also Seroes under the waves and The Abolethic Soveriegnty floating above it, makes for all kinds of interesting opportunities for the novel The Reaver. The hero himself is Turmish I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2013 :  08:28:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not really a fan of pirates. But I've encountered pirates in other settings and I didn’t find most of them boring or annoying, so, yes, while this is not the usual protagonist that Richard writes, I might still give the book a try. Most especially, I should note, that he’s included some Red Wizards (who are, hopefully, competent and not the Zola type).

Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  09:36:14  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

Is it possible that we get a "reset" to the grey box through the Sundering?

I doubt it. It looks to me like the latest set of new guys are going to take their turns hitting FR with a sledgehammer.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  11:36:44  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

You know, I think the Crystal Shard might actually be in the plane of Shadow. So, this might make sense. I could be wrong though. I know it was on another plane that bumped up against the Prime Material (well, pre 4e cosmology anyway).

This might also spell the return of Cadderly. Cause Ghost King was imprisoned by him. And i think that Cadderly never really died. But this is just my dream, as Cadderly was one of my faovorite characters.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  13:38:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wild conjecture time again:

the vestiges of Mystra (the second) and Mystryl will both return and try to take over the weave. One of her halves will be subsumed by Leira. The other aspect will seize the newly returning goddess Isis and god Thoth and force them to aid and submit to her.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  13:53:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Could we have something where the gods are just in the background, instead of playing heavy-handed roles?

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  16:30:17  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Sleyvas your right that is some wild conjecture. Interesting, but wild.

Go to Top of Page

The Madmage
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  17:25:28  Show Profile Send The Madmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

I didn't mind it... had they not included it in the same chapter of the 3E FRCS along with all the other player stuff. I'd have preferred it obscured in the DM sections to allow DMs to surprise players with it.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  20:46:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Sleyvas your right that is some wild conjecture. Interesting, but wild.

LOL, yeah, I'm kind of having fun coming up with just wild ideas on this thread. I know I'll never predict what's really going on. Here's another. By the way, when I say Mystra the second, I mean the one after Mystryl.

Larloch was creating the blueflame magic items as a means of consolidating the magical energies left behind by the destruction of Mystra (the 2nd). He was using his liches to power it because the magic that had been used to create their phylacteries was internalized and was purely of the weave when Mystra (the 2nd) was in control. The individuals captured in the blueflame items contained a mortal soul, which can actually naturally hold more deific energy than an undead. However, the individuals so entrapped became insane due to the rage of Mystra (the 2nd) from being torn apart during the ToT (i.e. her mind is shattered and therefore instilling them with her energy fractured their own minds).

Larloch's attempt to use his liches to corrupt a portion of the weave in 1374 DR also played into this creation of the blueflame items, but how isn't quite revealed as yet.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2013 :  13:29:35  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, I'm not sure whether this was already clarified before - I'not into 4e Realmslore at all - but is it just coincidence that this RSE is called just like the Sundering occurred on -17600 DR?
As far as I understand that event affected time itself, so it would be consistent with the "reboot" option mention above in this scroll... Although in this case I'd expect more of a time-loop connecting past to present, which would give to players the option to choose the time setting of their campaigns (yeah I know we don't actually need them to tell us we can do that, but still...).
In my mind, this would fit in well with the intention of 5e to appeal to players both old and new.

I know it sounds confusing, sorry. :)
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2013 :  14:07:17  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the deities return, can they have god like powers instead of being super powered (im)mortals?
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2013 :  10:07:23  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

Guys, I'm not sure whether this was already clarified before - I'not into 4e Realmslore at all - but is it just coincidence that this RSE is called just like the Sundering occurred on -17600 DR?
As far as I understand that event affected time itself, so it would be consistent with the "reboot" option mention above in this scroll... Although in this case I'd expect more of a time-loop connecting past to present, which would give to players the option to choose the time setting of their campaigns (yeah I know we don't actually need them to tell us we can do that, but still...).
In my mind, this would fit in well with the intention of 5e to appeal to players both old and new.

I know it sounds confusing, sorry. :)

The earlier sundering was named so when the elves created Evermeet. If i recall correctly then the shockwaves moved forwards in time destroying Ao's work in creating the barrier between the worlds of Abeir and Toril.

Edited by - Arcanus on 07 Apr 2013 10:08:21
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2013 :  20:09:51  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about the creation of Evermeet and The Sundering. In earlier editions, I don't recall ever reading anything about The Sundering and Evermeet. If I recall correctly, Evermeet was a gift to the Elves from The Seldarine (or something along those lines) and was first founded by the Gold Elves of Aryvandaar.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2013 :  23:36:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the Grand History of the Realms:

17600:
Hundreds of High Mages assemble in the heartland of Faerun at the Gathering Place. Ignoring the lesson learned from the destruction of Tintageer centuries earlier [-24500], they cast a spell of elven High Magic deisgned to create a glorious elf homeland. On the Day of Birthing, the magic reaches its apex as the spell extends both back and forward in the mists of time. Faerun, the one land, is sundered apart by the unbridled force of the Sundering. As a result, hundreds of cities are washed away, thousands of elves lie dead, and the face of Toril is changed forever. The name Faerun, no longer the One Land, is given to the largest continent. Surrounded by vast expanses of water, the island of Evermeet [-9800], thought to be a piece of Arvandor and a bridge between worlds, breaks the surface of the Trackless Sea [-675]. Blessed by the goddess Angharradh, verdant forests and wildlife soon flourish across the island. Corellon Larethian wards Evermeet against Lolth, Malar, and the other powers of the anti-Seldarine and entrusts a unique seed to the Fair Folk of the isle...

Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of Elves probably has some info too, but it's been years since I've read it.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000